PDA

View Full Version : Evans: Steelers fans owe Dick LeBeau an apology - NFL Videos

polamalubeast
09-11-2015, 07:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000528234/Evans-Steelers-fans-owe-Dick-LeBeau-an-apology

fansince'76
09-11-2015, 07:15 PM
No, we don't. Butler may or may not be the right person for the job, but he deserves more than one regular season game to prove it either way. And even if it turns out he isn't, it doesn't change the fact that LeBeau was well past his "best by" date and needed to go.

Edman
09-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Dick Lebeau wouldn't have made a difference. If he was still here, this game is over by halftime, by Brady constantly eating up his ten-yard cushions and bad blitzes. Brady put 55 on the great Dick Lebeau and 600 yards. Butler managed to limit the Pats to 28, despite all the miscommunication and bad tackling.

Keith Butler's flaws in his job doesn't change the fact that Lebeau was finished and needed to go.

Lebeau, even in his best years was routinely embarrassed by Brady, and every single Joe Quarterback for the past four years, including Tim Tebow. His Days were done.

fansince'76
09-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Dick Lebeau wouldn't have made a difference. If he was still here, this game is over by halftime, by Brady constantly eating up his ten-yard cushions and bad blitzes.

:iagree:

And a now washed-up Polamalu's still on the team, starting, flailing around all over the place and being constantly a half-step behind the play (at least) and completely ineffective. How would that have been an improvement over last night?

86WARD
09-11-2015, 07:29 PM
No, we don't. Butler may or may not be the right person for the job, but he deserves more than one regular season game to prove it either way. And even if it turns out he isn't, it doesn't change the fact that LeBeau was well past his "best by" date and needed to go.

Agree. Couldn't have put it better.

TD's & Beer
09-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Well, Blitzing with LeBeau's cross X up the middle every down didn't work either, so maybe Butlers's New 10 yd Cushion Cover 2 will.

We can only hope.

35 pts a game Ben - that's all I ask.

steelreserve
09-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Why do we owe LeBeau an apology? He would've played the sit-back too and looked just as bad. In fact, that's probably where Butler learned it.

steel striker
09-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah before all the so called media experts pronounce the defense dead let 8-10 games play out and, plus the offense just could not finish drives. Might have been a different game if a couple drives turned into TD's not to mention the unlucky bounce after the stripe fumble of Deion Lewis.

salamander
09-11-2015, 09:28 PM
The Steelers don't owe Lebeau anything. Hell, the defense would have looked even worse last night.

Butch
09-12-2015, 12:50 AM
He WAS a great coach and I don't think there is anyone in the burgh who would deny that. With that being said there is no way that after just ONE game we need to jump to any conclusions about if we should have kept him or promoted Butler. This isn't leaveland give the man some time to put things in place and get the personnel he needs to make things happen.

zulater
09-12-2015, 04:51 AM
He WAS a great coach and I don't think there is anyone in the burgh who would deny that. With that being said there is no way that after just ONE game we need to jump to any conclusions about if we should have kept him or promoted Butler. This isn't leaveland give the man some time to put things in place and get the personnel he needs to make things happen.

Good post.

I disagree with the premise of the article from which the op is derived. But at the same token I don't appreciate the level of disrespect being aimed at coach LeBeau by posters on this board.

Yes historically speaking his defenses tended to struggle against Brady. But personally I don't think this year's Patriots offense will prove to be near as potent as most of thre ones LeBeau had to defend. also let's not forget there were at least a few instances where Brady's big days against LeBeau were aided by the douche bag knowing the Steelers defensive play calls in real time.

LeBeau was damn good at what he did. The Steelers won a lot of games with him on the coaching staff. He didn't just suddenly forget what the hell he was doing. The talent level slipped. Don't be surprised if he does a Bruce Arians with the Titans defense.

ALLD
09-12-2015, 07:00 AM
LeBeau needed a change of scenery. He got complacent. Even Coach Noll lost his mojo at the end.

The Rooney's owed Butler a shot, but from what I saw they need to be realistic and keep him on a short leash. Also, their approach to the secondary needs to be re-evaluated. The OL was bad and it took years and wasted opportunities trying to fix it. There should be no shame in trying to win as the best team without cheating or treachery.

lipps83
09-12-2015, 12:17 PM
LeBeau needed a change of scenery. He got complacent. Even Coach Noll lost his mojo at the end.

The Rooney's owed Butler a shot, but from what I saw they need to be realistic and keep him on a short leash. Also, their approach to the secondary needs to be re-evaluated. It took years and wasted opportunities trying to fix it. There should be no shame in trying to win as the best team without cheating or treachery.

Exactly. Butler should be afforded the season to try to change things. If he isn't going to change anything than the Steelers may have well just kept Lebeau around.

Either way, I was hoping they would have gone in a different direction after last season but they didn't, so I am hoping for the best.

Shoes
09-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Apology...Evans is a jackass looking for attention. I remember LeBeau saying he thought we had all the talent need in the secondary in house.

tube517
09-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Heath Evans* is a former Cheatriot*. Who cares what he thinks anyways

Bluecoat96
09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Heath Evans is very blunt at times, and I don't agree with him on this one, but he has been very complimentary of the Steelers and the entire organization at times.

teegre
09-12-2015, 01:10 PM
But at the same token I don't appreciate the level of disrespect being aimed at coach LeBeau by posters on this board.

Amen.

He had the top scoring defense in 6 out of 7 seasons. (I'll let that sink in.)

Maybe he should have gone (probably so), but some people act like he wasn't effing phenomenal. Those are the same posters who would point to that 1 lone season out of the aforementioned 7.

TeeTee
09-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Dick Lebeau wouldn't have made a difference. If he was still here, this game is over by halftime, by Brady constantly eating up his ten-yard cushions and bad blitzes. Brady put 55 on the great Dick Lebeau and 600 yards. Butler managed to limit the Pats to 28, despite all the miscommunication and bad tackling.

Keith Butler's flaws in his job doesn't change the fact that Lebeau was finished and needed to go.

Lebeau, even in his best years was routinely embarrassed by Brady, and every single Joe Quarterback for the past four years, including Tim Tebow. His Days were done.
THIS, THIS, THIS

We don't owe Dick any apologies whatsoever. As if the D was any better with DL last season. DL was major FAIL with staying with the old guys forever. The Troy situation was deplorable. Butler didn't start out all that strong, but in no way do we owe DL an apology. Evans can suck on a bug and choke.

- - - Updated - - -

Apology...Evans is a jackass looking for attention. I remember LeBeau saying he thought we had all the talent need in the secondary in house.

Boom, pow, bam.

zulater
09-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Amen.

He had the top scoring defense in 6 out of 7 seasons. (I'll let that sink in.)

Maybe he should have gone (probably so), but some people act like he wasn't effing phenomenal. Those are the same posters who would point to that 1 lone season out of the aforementioned 7.

Wow, I didn't realize that. That's jaw dropping put in that perspective. And people are railing against him as if he was bad rubbish that was stinking up the room. If only all of us were as competent in our own realm of life as that man the world would be a lot better place.

TeeTee
09-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Yeah before all the so called media experts pronounce the defense dead let 8-10 games play out and, plus the offense just could not finish drives. Might have been a different game if a couple drives turned into TD's not to mention the unlucky bounce after the stripe fumble of Deion Lewis.

You mean like, not calling a trick WR pass, which was not even actually even knew, ran same play last year. Pats were not fooled, easily covered it. At the time both our rushing and passing (with the QB) was gutting them.

Way to go Haley. Just brilliant to call that hot shit play.

Shoes
09-12-2015, 03:43 PM
>snip<

Boom, pow, bam.

No disrespect for Dick intended, he was the best. I just think he should have moved on with more class (imo). All the Boom, Pow, Bam is reserved for the network jerks.

st33lersguy
09-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Would fans still own an apology if the Titans crap the bed on defense?

TeeTee
09-12-2015, 04:37 PM

The Rooney's owed Butler a shot, but from what I saw they need to be realistic and keep him on a short leash. Also, their approach to the secondary needs to be re-evaluated. The OL was bad and it took years and wasted opportunities trying to fix it. There should be no shame in trying to win as the best team without cheating or treachery.

Noll's last hurrah was just one season before he retired, 1989. After getting shell shocked week one by the Browns, Noll turned the team around, made the play offs, beat Houston in their House of Pain, and nearly upset Denver. It was a nice run.

That was a very, very talented Oilers' team.

B&GFever
09-13-2015, 06:59 PM

dont look now but the titans looks pretty damned good today

st33lersguy
09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
I guess the Steelers messed up in letting go of LeBeau because the Steelers got scorched by the Patriots and the Titans shut down the Succanneers (eye roll)

- - - Updated - - -

Against the Bucs. Wake me up when they beat someone that is not a bottom 5 NFL team

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 07:40 PM

Dick LeBeau was something like 20-2 against rookie QBs during his tenure as Steelers' DC...

SteelerFanInStl
09-13-2015, 08:25 PM
LeBeau isn't even the DC for the Titans, he's an advisor.

B&GFever
09-14-2015, 05:50 PM
LeBeau isn't even the DC for the Titans, he's an advisor.

well if you back track the comments you will see what I said was in response to this ...........
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by st33lersguy http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=501365#post501365)

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the Steelers messed up in letting go of LeBeau because the Steelers got scorched by the Patriots and the Titans shut down the Succanneers (eye roll)

- - - Updated - - -

Against the Bucs. Wake me up when they beat someone that is not a bottom 5 NFL team

umm didn't the " Succanneers " beat the steelers last year ?

- - - Updated - - -

Dick LeBeau was something like 20-2 against rookie QBs during his tenure as Steelers' DC...

would be interesting to know of those 20 or so wins how many he had when his team was starting a rookie QB ... ( his team did yesterday )

seems so many want to attribute what the Titans do as a def this year to Lebeau IF they fail , but when they succeed wasnt to say well it was vs a shit team , or well he is not the coordinator ...

cant have it both ways ( not that you are doing this ) but just making 1 post to say all that is on my mind about it

SteelerFanInStl
09-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't really care what LeBeau does as an advisor with the Titans. I wish him luck and that's all.

He had a great run here as DC but it was very apparent the last few years that the Steelers needed a change.

I would have liked for them to go outside the organization for that change as I feared "more of the same" from Butler. That's what I've seen so far but I'm not going to give up on him yet. Hopefully he'll get it going.

st33lersguy
09-14-2015, 08:07 PM
Bottom line is the Steelers do not owe LeBeau an apology. It was time to move on. They needed to move on from a lot of aging veterans on to the newer guys on defense in order for this defense to have a chance to grow, and LeBeau would not do that. Plus, LeBeau wasn't getting the job done himself the last 2 years so a change was appropriate. The fact that the Steelers defense struggled against the Patriots in New England (a place where most defenses struggle) certainly doesn't change that

polamalubeast
09-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Steelers Missing LeBeau as Defense Struggles on Opening Night

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2564754-steeler-missing-lebeau-as-defense-sturggles-on-opening-night

Edman
09-19-2015, 02:48 PM
The Great Dick Lebeau versus Tom Brady in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331103017

Again, people who don't know football running their mouths.

umm didn't the " Succanneers " beat the steelers last year ?

Yep, In Heinz Field no less. And who was the DC for the Steelers?

Dick Lebeau did great things for the Steelers. He fielded great defenses, but he had his obvious flaws too, and his time has run out.

As soon as his Defense was exposed (By Todd Haley no less) in Super Bowl XLIII, the Lebeau Defense lost it's mojo and wasn't the same since. There was a glaring weakness. Get rid of the ball quickly, stay away from Troy and go over the middle. Farrior and Foote were too slow to cover Tight Ends and the middle of the field. Teams started to feast, and before we knew it, the defense started to blow leads and collapse late.

The Defense went from being beat by only the good and great quarterbacks like Brady, to losing to any old schlub quarterback.

Since 2009: The Lebeau Defense was exposed and victimized by...

Bruce Gradkowski, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Mike Glennon, Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub, Brady Quinn, Tyler Thigpen, Curtis Painter, Terrelle Pryor, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, Zach Mettenberger, Ryan Tannehill, and Brian Hoyer.

tube517
09-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Clorox Report. Didn't read.

And no, I wasn't happy with the shitshow secondary/defense in the Cheats** game.

I do still own a pitchfork though. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Heath Evans owe Keith Butler an apology!!!!!

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Exactly!

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 11:18 PM

What did Gates have, 9 catches for 80-some yards and 2 TDs? You could probably double those yardage and TD totals if LeBeau were still around. We had routinely been getting KILLED over the middle by top-tier TEs for YEARS.

Shoes
10-12-2015, 11:19 PM
What did Gates have, 9 catches for 80-some yards and 2 TDs? You could probably double those yardage and TD totals if LeBeau were still around. We had routinely been getting KILLED over the middle by top-tier TEs for YEARS.

A big 10-4 on that!

st33lersguy
10-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Defense is doing fine. Surrendered 20 points while scoring a key TD, against an upper-echelon QB and a future HOF tight end while being on the field a lot.

polamalubeast
10-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Another great game by the defense.

Craic
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Another great game by the defense.

Yep, this defense is actually getting it done against top-tier offenses.

Edman
10-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Who owes who an apology now?

The Steelers Defense held the Cardinals offense to their lowest point total of the season. Before this game, the Cards were on pace to set the single season scoring record.

The Steelers don't stand a chance today without this Defense.

Dissolv
10-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Hat's off to Butler. I thought he'd need a year or two with some draft picks to get us back in shape, defensively. Nope! He just dialed up the aggression and started pressuring the QB's -- hard. And suddenly we have turnovers and sacks again.

We are super-lucky to get both Dick Lebeau, and now Butler. That is a TON of institutional knowledge about the Steeler defence, and it seems to have helped him jump start this defence without needing a "rebuilding year".

Dissolv

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Who owes who an apology now?

The Steelers Defense held the Cardinals offense to their lowest point total of the season. Before this game, the Cards were on pace to set the single season scoring record.

The Steelers don't stand a chance today without this Defense.

And in other NFL news today...

Dolphins: 38
Titans: 10

Bluecoat96
10-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Hats off to Tomlin as well. He's had a big hand in helping the D as well....despite some of the yinzer posts around here proclaiming his idiocy.

lipps83
10-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Hats off to Tomlin as well. He's had a big hand in helping the D as well....despite some of the yinzer posts around here proclaiming his idiocy.

http://i.imgur.com/GFBie.gif

zulater
10-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Forced turnovers > yards against.

In the last few seasons this seems to have escaped LeBeau much to the team's detriment. While we didn't get the sacks Sunday we kept Carson Palmer uncomfortable. Enough so that his head was on a swivel all day. Also having the safeties help the corners with coverage is making a difference. So far Butler is getting the job done. I would say LeBeau's leaving has very much in fact made this team better.

I loved LeBeau. But he became inflexible. Times change. Rules change. You cant stay married to a system that no longer works. You have to adjust to available talent and times.

Count Steeler
10-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Hey Evans, you owe us an apology. Moron.

Edman
10-20-2015, 08:27 PM
And in other NFL news today...

Dolphins: 38
Titans: 10

Which reminds me of a certain game in 2013 where Ryan Tannehill came to Pittsburgh and made a fool out of Lebeau in a blizzard, a game that ultimately kept the Steelers out of the playoffs. Now this.

Tannehill has Lebeau's number is seems.

JayC
10-20-2015, 09:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRzTJ6TVEAAvhIK.jpg

Count Steeler
10-21-2015, 05:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRzTJ6TVEAAvhIK.jpg

Seriously. The leader of Planet Moron.