PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Schrödinger's Defense

teegre
09-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Here is my game-one write up for TPOP.

Schrödinger's Defense
by Tiger Rowan

Going into this season, we all knew what to expect from the Steelers’ offense: awesomeness. Even on a bad night, they still racked up twenty-one points… which just a few years ago, was about the maximum output for this team. I will not spend valuable time discussing what went wrong on offense, because it can be summarized in a few, poignant words: drops, missed field goals, and an ill-timed trick play.

Simply, I am not worried about the offense. In fact, I vehemently aver (editors’ note — means “state”, which is classy, Tiger) that once Le’Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant return, this offense is going to be record-settingly good. Games like Thursday night, where the offense only puts up twenty-one points, will be the basement, not the ceiling.

The same can not be said for the defense.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/schrodingers-defense/

If you enjoyed it, please, feel free to pass it along.

Count Steeler
09-11-2015, 05:01 PM
What still confounds me is that we wasted FIVE pre season games on NOT getting this defense prepared. How they can have a new DC, supposed new schemes, new personnel and not give them opportunity to gel together is just beyond me. I see a vastly improved defense in 4 weeks for the simple reason they will have played together and start to get used to one another.

This arrogance or hubris or stupidity, I'm not sure which one yet, may cost us a run at #7.

ALLD
09-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Right on. Another cute moment trying to sandbag the D instead of getting the kinks out.

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2015, 05:21 PM
What still confounds me is that we wasted FIVE pre season games on NOT getting this defense prepared. How they can have a new DC, supposed new schemes, new personnel and not give them opportunity to gel together is just beyond me. I see a vastly improved defense in 4 weeks for the simple reason they will have played together and start to get used to one another.

This arrogance or hubris or stupidity, I'm not sure which one yet, may cost us a run at #7.

Don't worry, it's just the preseason, oh, um, errr, I mean, the starters haven't all played together. Oh, um, I guess that's wrong too.

teegre
09-11-2015, 05:44 PM

I once heard a couple of former players talking about preseason, and here is why they hate it: injuries.

You have established starters and veterans who know how to play without getting hurt... and then, you have Joe Freeagent who is 22 and trying to do anything to get noticed (in hopes of landing on a roster): jumping into piles, diving after players, sliding across the ground. The result: injuries.

Veterans know now how to play without getting hurt and/or they are skilled enough to not get hurt while still playing at full speed. But, when a dozen Joe Freeagents are jumping, diving, & sliding... injuries occur.

I hear you: the defense needed to gel. But, honestly, I think that most coaches fear injuries (more than they fear their teams not gelling).

Count Steeler
09-11-2015, 06:27 PM
I once heard a couple of former players talking about preseason, and here is why they hate it: injuries.

You have established starters and veterans who know how to play without getting hurt... and then, you have Joe Freeagent who is 22 and trying to do anything to get noticed (in hopes of landing on a roster): jumping into piles, diving after players, sliding across the ground. The result: injuries.

Veterans know now how to play without getting hurt and/or they are skilled enough to not get hurt while still playing at full speed. But, when a dozen Joe Freeagents are jumping, diving, & sliding... injuries occur.

I hear you: the defense needed to gel. But, honestly, I think that most coaches fear injuries (more than they fear their teams not gelling).

Completely understand, but at least the 1st quarter of each game is more of the "experienced" players. 2nd half, yeah through out the FAs and let them run wild. But no time together for your starting unit for 5 games is just mind boggling.

teegre
09-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Completely understand, but at least the 1st quarter of each game is more of the "experienced" players. 2nd half, yeah through out the FAs and let them run wild. But no time together for your starting unit for 5 games is just mind boggling.

I hear you.

Timmons and Tuitt being out didn't allow all 11 to play at once. But, you're right: the others could have played the first few drives together... specifically, the secondary.

Speaking of the secondary, honestly, I don't think that they knew who the starters in the secondary would be. Hence, they couldn't start them together. The preseason seemed like a five-game tryout. Shamarko lost... and alas, the time spent with him in the field was time that Will Allen did not play with the rest of the secondary.