PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Week One - Heroes and Goats?

86WARD
09-10-2015, 10:47 PM
For me, the heroes were Antonio Brown and more so DeAngelo Williams and the Steelers O-Line. The goats were the coaching staff for inopportune play calls, clock mismanaged as well as the back end of the defense...they were terrible.

polamalubeast
09-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Agree on this

st33lersguy
09-10-2015, 10:48 PM
The offense aside from Heyward Bey did well.

The goats are obviously Scobee who can't kick, Heyward Bey, and the defense who couldn't stop a nose bleed or cover a mouse with two hands

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2015, 10:49 PM
For me, the heroes were Antonio Brown and more so DeAngelo Williams and the Steelers O-Line. The goats were the coaching staff for inopportune play calls, clock mismanaged as well as the back end of the defense...they were terrible.
Pretty much spot on. I'll give an honorable mention goat to DHB for making a bone headed play in the end zone.

tube517
09-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Hero: DeAngelo played his ass off. How long is he signed for?

Goat: Haley's red zone play calling. Scooby. Secondary. DHB for his poor footwork in the end zone. Tomlin's shades.

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Hero: DeAngelo played his ass off. How long is he signed for?

Goat: Haley's red zone play calling. Scooby. Secondary. DHB for his poor footwork in the end zone. Tomlin's shades.

2 years

hawaiiansteeler
09-10-2015, 11:02 PM
5 things that stood out vs. Patriots

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

A look at what stood out for the Steelers against New England.

- Running back DeAngelo Williams recorded his 20th career regular season 100-yard rushing game. Williams finished the night with 21 carries for 127 yards. It was Williams first 100-yard rushing game since September 22, 2013. Williams also added one reception for five yards.

- Wide receiver Antonio Brownextended his NFL record streak to 33 consecutive games with at least five receptions for 50 yards. Brown also now has 19 consecutive games with at least five catches for 70 yards, also an NFL record. Brown finished the night with 9 receptions for 133 yards, his 17th 100-yard receiving game.

- Tight end Heath Miller finished the night with eight receptions for 84 yards. It’s the 51st time he has had at least 50 receiving yards in a regular season game, ranking him third among active NFL tight ends. Miller also moved into second place on the Steelers’ all-time reception list.

- Rookie Bud Dupree got his first career sack early in the first quarter when he got to quarterback Tom Brady for no gain.

- Will Johnson scored his first career rushing touchdown, a one-yard run in the third quarter.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/5-things-that-stood-out-vs-Patriots/f2a8c8f0-5047-40e1-925b-d5b3dcea4ac6

dislocatedday
09-10-2015, 11:04 PM
I'll stay with the theme, but I would go O-line first, followed by Williams and then AB for the heroes.

Munchak was/is a godsend to this team.

Goats....secondary, coaching, Scoobe, and DHB for costing the Steelers a TD with his foot stepping out of bounds.

Cyphon25
09-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Heroes: O line, D Williams and AB

The O line was really good run blocking and pass blocking for the most part was good. Even the sack Wallace gave up was a reasonably tough blitz pickup. I don't mean to be a downer about Williams but our best player tonight essentially becomes irrelevant after next week. Once Bell is back Williams is just another guy. AB requires no explanation. I am fully convinced there is not a better receiver in football.

GOATS: Coaching, most of the defense, Scobee and Ben Roethlisberger

More than anyone else coaches are the biggest goats and I would argue by a wide margin. Let's talk about the most egregious of their errors.

1. Clock management. I didn't think it was possible it could actually get worse. You have to be blind, dumb and deaf to not be able to fix clock management. Reporters have asked Tomlin about it, they review game film.....Someone has to know how bad it is.

2. D'Angelo Williams runs for over 100 yards. We get in the redzone and put in the rookie Nix and Will Johnson who has 2 career runs or some such. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Will Johnson fan and thinks he deserves more touches. But what in the deepest darkest parts of hell were they thinking in not having Williams in the game? In what coaching handbook does it say take out your best player during the most important part of the game? Again, you have to be blind, dumb and deaf.

3. Preparedness and adjustments. There are starving children in some small village somewhere that don't know what the NFL even is but they know how good Rob Gronkowski is. The Steelers coaches and players don't. There was seemingly no game plan to stop him....Unless the game plan was to shock him so badly by leaving the best TE in football so wide open that nobody would even realize it. If that was the plan, it backfired terribly.

Next in line is the defense. Sure, it is on the coaches to have a better game plan and get their players prepared, but these guys have been practicing and making tackles since they were 6 or 7 years old. Yet, they still can't tackle. Mike Mitchell must have pulled 3 more groins, Cortez Allen who "is really good but he just lost his confidence" either still hasn't found his confidence or......Just isn't actually very good. Antwon Blake was even worse than Allen, impossible as it may seem. And while the d backs were terrible, there is no excuse for guys like Cam Heyward, Lawrence Timmons and James Harrison not to be able to take advantage of 3 rookies on the offensive line. Flat out unacceptable all around. 1 guy I will give props to is Bud Dupree. I thought there was very little hope for him being relevant this year but he showed a little promise tonight.

Scobee needs no explanation. Horrible debut. Luckily for him we lost by 7 and not 6.

Ben Roethlisberger may need some explanation. For the most part he did well and played Ben ball. The thing is, Ben has to be a leader and he looked frustrated out there. He made some bad reads, was forcing balls in the end almost getting AB and Wheaton killed and threw an awful INT. On top of that some of the clock management is on him. Now don't get me wrong Ben is awesome, but I am putting him here because elite QB's get held to a higher standard than other players and Ben didn't meet that standard.

Devilsdancefloor
09-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Heroes Williams ran with purpose, beachum cant say it to many times he is getting better every game i watch him AB as always Heath for passing John stallworth

Goats the coaching staff and ben forcing the int (even though i thought it was a PI oh DHB looked like to me that the DB was pushing him down the field) the zebras looking the other way as always in gillette MIKE MITCHELL and cotez

tube517
09-10-2015, 11:16 PM
D'Angelo Williams runs for over 100 yards. We get in the redzone and put in the rookie Nix and Will Johnson Don't understand this one. Clearly D'Angelo showed great vision tonight but take him out when we need TD's near the goal line???

Cyphon25
09-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Don't understand this one. Clearly D'Angelo showed great vision tonight but take him out when we need TD's near the goal line???

Nobody does or will ever understand it. Same as the infamous SB play call from this year where they had the best player on the field stand with his thumb up his ass while Russell Wilson throws and INT.

The coaches won't have an answer for it either. Tomlin will spout some BS as is the standard.

86WARD
09-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Don't understand this one. Clearly D'Angelo showed great vision tonight but take him out when we need TD's near the goal line???

I think the one series he was gassed...they should've used a timeout...

Rotorhead
09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Yes, why take Williams out, and why not run right or left with him since he was running around the edge all dam night? Heroes are of course AB, Williams, Heath, OL. Goats are Coaching Staff, Coaching Staff and coaching staff. I'm not even sure the def was all that bad if they knew their assignments and weren't the keystone cops out there, the got 3 key stops (had our off not shit the bed after each time)

Steeldude
09-11-2015, 12:24 AM
Heroes: Williams, O-line, Brown, Shazier, Harrison(for keeping his cool and not strangling the coaches for being on the bench)

Goats: Defense, Tomlin/coaches(clock management, play calling, personnel on the field etc...)

stillers4me
09-11-2015, 05:32 AM
I don't blame the kicker....entirely. What's the score if you add in 14-16 more points?

j-d-s
09-11-2015, 05:41 AM
DHB certainly is a goat. Had the chance to real good game, but then he stepped OB in the Endzone on a would-be TD. That cost us 4 points, add that up the 6 points from the missed field goals and the score is 31-28...

86WARD
09-11-2015, 05:47 AM
I don't blame the kicker....entirely. What's the score if you add in 14-16 more points?

I don't blame the kicker yet either. Berry is a new holder so it might take a little time for them to get used to each other...so without knowing exactly why they went wide on those two kicks, I can't totally blame Scobee...yet...

86WARD
09-11-2015, 05:48 AM
DHB certainly is a goat. Had the chance to real good game, but then he stepped OB in the Endzone on a would-be TD. That cost us 4 points, add that up the 6 points from the missed field goals and the score is 31-28...

That's just awareness and playing at this level...it's something you got to have...

ALLD
09-11-2015, 06:39 AM
The tv said they changed place holders after the second FG miss. Everything else is spot on. We could have won that game if mistake free football was played. As usual, coaches do not want the team to peak too early.

Very embarrassing to be a Steeler coach. I always tried extra hard so nobody could call me stupid. The coaches looked like clowns last night.

st33lersguy
09-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I think Poortez Allen must be considered as useless as an asshole on an elbow. Everyone else in the secondary sucked as well. Where the hell was Boykin?

86WARD
09-11-2015, 08:23 AM
The tv said they changed place holders after the second FG miss. Everything else is spot on. We could have won that game if mistake free football was played. As usual, coaches do not want the team to peak too early.

Very embarrassing to be a Steeler coach. I always tried extra hard so nobody could call me stupid. The coaches looked like clowns last night.

I didn't hear that part about switching holders. Who was before and after then?

Dissolv
09-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Although it is hard to say it, the Defense I don't think is the problem. We "held" the Pats to 28 points, which is actually hard to do for even better defensive teams. The problem was that our offense was just not up to the task. We needed high twenty's, low thirties at a minimum. And we knew that going in.

So our average defense performed averagely -- yes I want them to be better, but it is what it is. Not a free pass--just lowered expectations. The offense though.....the first drive got me excited, but the trick play was a clue that they weren't all there yet. The foot the chalk, Ben not looking crisp, missed FG's, just ugh. We left easily four scores of some type on the field, and even if all were field goals, that is the margin of victory right there. The offense has to carry this current Steeler incarnation, and they weren't up to the task, despite a 100 yard rusher, and the ability to move the ball for quite a few yards.

Most of all, I am bummed that we once again start slowly. And our schedule doesn't really have a soft part to it. We are going to have to be tougher all around to expect to win it all.

Early days, I'd just rather see them go down swinging hard and coming up short, as opposed to mental mistaking themselves out of it...

Dissolv

Steelman
09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
[Warning. Long post, as is my custom every year]

I'll start with goat reports:

Even with the myriad of miscues we were still position to tie/win the game late, which bodes well for later. The offense was moving very well, they were on pace for something like 500 yards at one point. More on this in a minute. But the defense, more specifically the secondary... I have never seen a unit so disorganized and clueless about where they were supposed to be than last night. Never. Cortez looked brain dead, Blake looked completely lost and unwilling to tackle, Willie Gay was frustrated, Will Allen didn't look comfortable, Mike Mitchell was just participating as usual, and why the hell was Robert Golden being put into the game in the red zone? None of it made any sense. It was putrid. Guys ran their mouths about stopping Gronk and yet half the time nobody even covered Gronk. How does that even happen? Edelman running wild I can understand, and half expected, but the Gronk debacle I do not understand. If the coverage was there and Gronk still made splash plays, then cool, Gronk is a beast, but this? Just bad.

The coaching was horrific. Seriously there is no way to over hype how bad it was. Yeah, OK, so the headsets aren't working. Get over it and figure something out. Ditch the headsets and get all three main coaches huddled up together and figure it out. Tomlin just kind of stood there with his thumb up his ass and a distant look on his face the whole time. His time management, the defensive substitutions, the offensive playcalling, all of it was garbage. A Peewee coach could have done a better job. This staff continues to show no ability to adjust during the game. OK, first and second quarters were a disaster but you still are only down 14-3 at the half, sure your kicker royally screwed two field goals, but the offense was moving around the field and just needed to get better in the red zone. What happens? Nothing. Team comes out for second half and the defense looked worse than before which means one team made adjustments and it wasn't Keith Butler, Todd Haley or Mike Tomlin.

I'll say this because I recall thinking this very thing during the game when it happened, the game was over after Haley's ridiculous call for a WR-pass. I don't understand it. Lemme get this straight, DeAngelo opens the game with an 18-yard run. Boom, Pats defense looked a little stunned. Momentum gained. Ben fires a pass to AB, 9 yards. Quick play by DeAngelo for the 1st down. Ben fires to Heath for 14 more. DeAngelo out of the shotun runs for 11 (God, when was the last time we saw runs out of the gun not get stopped behind the LOS???) There it is, 5 plays and you're at the 24, you haven't even sniffed a 3rd down yet and you're about to move at will into the red zone. Whaddya do? I get the idea of a "splash play" there, back breaking, put the onus on the Pats to respond. But you're literally shoving turf down their throats at that point, and you pull out the cute plays? Why?

And then you have Scooby Do. Wow, that's all I can really say about that. Sure, blame it on the holder. Whatever makes you feel better.

I've seen a lot of hate for DHB, but I don't quite see it. Dude's been in the league for how long? He ain't gonna change his stripes. He is what he is. There's a reason he's the 4th or 5th string WR and is mostly a ST player.

Markus Wheaton underwhelmed. For a guy who's been on the breakout bubble for way too long, he certainly helped solidify his status of a slightly above-average receiver who will never be a game-changer.

Tackling was bad to say the very least.

McLendon was getting owned by a rookie undrafted center. Ouch.

"Meh" guys:

Was Moats even in on any plays? Didn't even show up on the box score.

Ben belongs in this category. Probably seems unfair given his stat line, but when you've entered Facebook-official "elite" status (Roll Eyes) you're expected to do something like what Brady* did. Not really hating, but expected more.

I don't want to give undue criticism to the OL because as a whole they played well, but Cody Wallace was the worst of the bunch. He's an OK backup so I'll give him some grace but he owns most of the few bad moments offered by OL. (My last name is Wallace too, so I'm required to hate a little bit)

Dri Archer. Cool, he made it past the 15. Why is he on the roster again?

The announcers were talking about how well Jarvis was playing but he only notched a single tackle and I didn't personally notice a whole lot of actual pressure on the quarterback. Not bad I guess for Jarvis' standards, but definitely a "meh" in my book. Hopefully the arrow is still pointing up and all that good stuff.

OK, on to a few bright spots:

Ryan Shazier played extremely well. My eyes were glued to the ungodly spectacle being offered by the secondary so I didn't notice if he had any blown assignments but he made the few nice plays by the defense. Dude flat out flies. Did he ever cover Gronk at all? Kinda thought they should match them up and see what happens since the DB's had no clue how to cover him.

A lot has been said about DeAngelo and I fully agree. Dude came to play and lit up the field. He looked quick, had that "S&G" going, and was finishing his runs very well. As far as running goes, Bell was not missed at all. Looking like the best FA pickup in years.

Antonio did Antonio stuff. Got his obligatory 5/50 out of the way and Ben gave him a meaningless TD too. That first catch was unreal. Good day for him.

Heath Miller played very well.

As a unit the OL played pretty well the whole night. Opened up some nice lanes for DeAngelo and for the most part kept the pocket pretty clean for Ben. If Pouncey was in there, they would have straight up dominated. Good look for that unit overall. We're gonna need that for the rest of the season.

Overall, I think this team performed exactly how we expected them to do, but the offense couldn't capitalize in the red zone to compensate for an atrocious secondary. That's pretty much the MO for the rest of the season. We know the offense can move the ball, but can they capitalize and score enough points and can the defense at least be average? Gronkowski aside, we're 0-1 in that thus far.

zulater
09-11-2015, 11:17 AM
DHB is what he is. A marginal talent with good straight line speed. You can't blame him for being what he's always been. Blame Martavis Bryant for being an idiot stoner, and Sammie Coates for not being professional enough to put himself in a position to gain playing time in Bryant's absense.

Scobee deserves the benefit of the doubt. One bad game doesn't erase a solid career. But yes he was a goat yesterday.

But the real goats were the coaches. Outside of Munchak they all deserve a failing grade.

Why isn't Harrison on the field? Same for Boykin. These coaches wouldn't recognize a defensive back if one bit them in the ass. Not that these guys are all that good. But these coaches make a mediocre bunch look like JuCo kids.

Rotorhead
09-11-2015, 11:27 AM
I agree pretty much with all the above. A couple of points. On the first Gronk TD, why not call TO to fix the coverage issue and 10men issue? The 2nd Gronk TD, that is what he can do, no complaints really there. The 3rd Gronk TD, again, call TO to fix the coverage issue! Why wasn't Shazier covering Gronk anyway?

Cyphon25
09-11-2015, 07:22 PM
I've seen a lot of hate for DHB, but I don't quite see it. Dude's been in the league for how long? He ain't gonna change his stripes. He is what he is. There's a reason he's the 4th or 5th string WR and is mostly a ST player.

Not to mention he played a good game. Explosive play, first down catches and no drops. Basically what we would want from Bryant as a 3rd option. His end zone miscue wasn't quite as bad as people want to give it credit for either. He was well positioned and the pass didn't put him in the best place either. His foot slid a millimeter farther than it should have and that was it.

Markus Wheaton underwhelmed. For a guy who's been on the breakout bubble for way too long, he certainly helped solidify his status of a slightly above-average receiver who will never be a game-changer.

Was definitely expecting more from him. I do have to wonder if it is all on him or Ben gets too focused on AB at times.

Was Moats even in on any plays? Didn't even show up on the box score.

Moats had a very quiet night but it should be noted that he actually played the least amount of snaps of the "main" LB's. Jones and Dupree both played more snaps than he did.

Ben belongs in this category. Probably seems unfair given his stat line, but when you've entered Facebook-official "elite" status (Roll Eyes) you're expected to do something like what Brady* did. Not really hating, but expected more.

100% agree with this and had him listed in my GOATS. Elite guys are held to a higher standard and Ben was frustrated late and started forcing bad throws. We were still in it until that INT.

I don't want to give undue criticism to the OL because as a whole they played well, but Cody Wallace was the worst of the bunch. He's an OK backup so I'll give him some grace but he owns most of the few bad moments offered by OL. (My last name is Wallace too, so I'm required to hate a little bit)

100% disagree here. I think he gave up a sack and had a holding penalty. Beachum gave up a sack and had an illegal hands to the face call. Their performances were more or less the same but we love Beachum and Wallace always seems to be in the doghouse. The line on the whole had a really good night and Wallace was right there with the rest of them.

Dri Archer. Cool, he made it past the 15. Why is he on the roster again?

A fucking men.

Heath Miller played very well.

I thought Heath played a quietly good game on the receiving end but I thought I remember 1 or 2 blocks that weren't so great during the game.

Outside of that I think Dupree was kind of bright spot. Not so much because he blew me away but he already looks like a much better choice than Jones in 1 career game. Showed some flash of actually being worth a number 1 pick.

Also, I think you nailed the coaches perfectly. They graded out at an F last night.

Edman
09-11-2015, 07:32 PM
+DeAngelo Williams was masterful.
+O-Line. Pass and Run Blocking was fantastic.
+Antonio Brown of course.
+Heath had a quietly good game.

-Heyward-Bey continues to demonstrate why we'll miss Martavis Bryant.
-Coaching.
-Playcalling
-Ben wasn't all there and threw a horrid INT that killed it.
-Defensive communication.

zulater
09-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Funny enough Profootballfocus had Ben graded highest among Steelers at +6.2.

Other notables DeAngelo Williams +4.6 AB +4.2 Ramon Foster +4.0

Booby prize's Cody Wallace -5.0 Cortez Allen -4.2

You people crapping on Ben don't seem to understand he's one of the few things keeping this team from being pathetic.

Edman
09-12-2015, 03:38 PM
You people crapping on Ben don't seem to understand he's one of the few things keeping this team from being pathetic.

And?

Doesn't take away from the fact that he had an unremarkable game and needs to play better for the Steelers to have a chance.

zulater
09-12-2015, 05:34 PM
And?

Doesn't take away from the fact that he had an unremarkable game and needs to play better for the Steelers to have a chance.

They had a chance. Then Haley decided to go run heavy in a goal to go situation, the defense let down (again) and Ben facing a 3 score deficit on the road with an expiring clock made his first huge mistake of the game. The situation forced him to be overly aggressive.

As to why we hadn't scored more points up until that point. An inexplicable trick play, followed by a 10 yard penalty, followed by a missed make-able fg, followed by another missed fg, followed by a mediocre wr not knowing how to control his body in the end zone cost us a possible 17 points. Not to mention taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the aformentioned goal line sequence and I'd say the qb is pretty much absolved of the result.

Shoes
09-12-2015, 06:09 PM
They had a chance. Then Haley decided to go run heavy in a goal to go situation, the defense let down (again) and Ben facing a 3 score deficit on the road with an expiring clock made his first huge mistake of the game. The situation forced him to be overly aggressive.

As to why we hadn't scored more points up until that point. An inexplicable trick play, followed by a 10 yard penalty, followed by a missed make-able fg, followed by another missed fg, followed by a mediocre wr not knowing how to control his body in the end zone cost us a possible 17 points. Not to mention taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the aformentioned goal line sequence and I'd say the qb is pretty much absolved of the result.

Period!