PDA

View Full Version : Cook: With injuries, suspensions and porous defense, Steelers likely a .500 team

hawaiiansteeler
09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Ron Cook: With injuries, suspensions and a porous defense, Steelers likely a .500 team

September 8, 2015
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/08/23/ca0,7,2483,2587/20150823pdSteelersSports09-1.jpg

The Steelers' defense must step up if this team is to have a chance at success this season.

I know how good Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown are. That’s why I want to predict a winning record for the Steelers and another trip to the playoffs with maybe even a shot at getting to Super Bowl 50. But I can’t. Not with the broken-leg injury to Maurkice Pouncey, who will miss at least half the season. Not with suspended Le’Veon Bell, who will miss the first two games, and suspended Martavis Bryant, who will miss the first four. Certainly not with the defense, that poor, poor, potentially pathetic defense.

8-8.

No playoffs for the third time in four seasons.

It’s hard to get past that defense.

“I’m not as concerned as you might imagine,” Mike Tomlin said.

Really?

Here it is, two days before the opening game at New England, and the Steelers still don’t appear to have a clue about who to start in the secondary. They were counting on cornerback Cortez Allen to bounce back from a miserable 2014 season, but he showed nothing in the preseason and could be replaced by Antwon Blake. They thought Shamarko Thomas could step in at safety, but he showed even less than Allen and appears to have lost his job to Will Allen.

What a mess.

The Steelers absolutely have butchered the cornerback position. They gave Allen a four-year, $24.6 million contract extension before last season and, even though he was awful, decided to bring him back to play opposite William Gay despite having to pay him a $3 million roster bonus. That’s big money that now appears wasted. The Steelers drafted Doran Grant in the fourth round in May and released him Sunday. They had some bad luck with second-round pick Senquez Golson, who showed up at training camp with a bad shoulder, had surgery and is lost for the season. They had to trade for Brandon Boykin from the Philadelphia Eagles and sign Ross Cockrell after he was cut by the Buffalo Bills.

The safety position is just as unsettled. Mike Mitchell should be fine in his second year with the Steelers if he’s healthy, but Thomas, starting his third season here, has been a major disappointment. Special-teams ace Robert Golden is the depth. The team cut seventh-round pick Gerod Holliman.

Do you think Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is eager to line up against the Steelers Thursday night?

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/09/08/With-injuries-suspensions-and-a-porous-defense-espcially-in-the-secondary-Steelers-likely-are-a-500-team-this-season/stories/201509080045

TD's & Beer
09-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Tomlin hater!

steelreserve
09-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm predicting at least 9-7 to win me the "over" on season victories.

The preseason has been a mess and I'm just glad it's coming to an end. If we catch as many bad breaks in the regular season, then quite frankly it just is not our year.

I'm worried about the defense, but I get the sense that once the real games start, it will be more of a frustrating on-and-off kind of thing than the 50-points-and-laughed-off-the-field kind. We can win games that way, but I'm sure we'll also flat-out blow a couple, including at least one to the Ravens on a Joe Flacco moonball with 45 seconds to go, where our guy either falls down or gets flagged for 40-yard interference. Not predicting a Super Bowl, but if we don't go around 10-6 and make the playoffs I'd be surprised.

lipps83
09-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Until Bryant gets back I expect the offense to just be average until Bell returns. With the defense the way it is I will not be surprised if the steelers are 2-2 (if not 1-3) before he comes back.

teegre
09-09-2015, 03:43 PM
The first four games will hinge on Wheaton. If he performs, the Steelers will go 3-1.

The remainder of the regular season will hinge on Tuitt & Shazier. If they can continue to develop, the defense will hold teams to ~20ppg (while the offense will score in the low 30s consistently). If those two can indeed develop, which will, in turn, make the defense "good enough", the Steelers could go 10-2.

Once in in the playoffs, it is all on BB. His post-season magic has to resurface. If that occurs, Lombardi #7 is a realistic possibility.

TeeTee
09-09-2015, 06:13 PM
The first four games will hinge on Wheaton. If he performs, the Steelers will go 3-1.

The remainder of the regular season will hinge on Tuitt & Shazier. If they can continue to develop, the defense will hold teams to ~20ppg (while the offense will score in the low 30s consistently). If those two can indeed develop, which will, in turn, make the defense "good enough", the Steelers could go 10-2.

Once in in the playoffs, it is all on BB. His post-season magic has to resurface. If that occurs, Lombardi #7 is a realistic possibility.

So you are strongly agreeing with me on my take on Wheaton needing to step up for us to have a chance. I agree.

teegre
09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
So you are strongly agreeing with me on my take on Wheaton needing to step up for us to have a chance. I agree.

It appears so...

TD's & Beer
09-10-2015, 10:16 AM
"New defensive coordinator Keith Butler will take heat, but that hardly seems right. He has the same problem that longtime coordinator Dick LeBeau had — not enough good players. It’s amazing how much smarter LeBeau was when he had players such as Polamalu, Taylor, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and James Harrison in their prime."

There ya go...

steel striker
09-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Would we expect anything less from Ron Cook?

Craic
09-10-2015, 11:42 AM
In this case, I think Cook may be right. Bryant's loss, in and of itself, wouldn't have been such a bad deal if we didn't already have Bell out for two games. That's the killer. Wallace can get it done at Center, but not like Pouncey. And I worry about him getting to the second level to spring RBs.

I'm not yet quite as worried about our defense, only because I want to see them in a couple of games before I make judgments. But it's pretty hard to write off the problems we have there in personnel if nothing else. 8-8 is very realistic as we see things right now. Then again, so is 10-6.