PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler Shoots Straight On Eve Of Debut As Defensive Coordinator

polamalubeast
09-08-2015, 11:57 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/keith-butler-shoots-straight-on-eve-of-debut-as-defensive-coordinator/

fansince'76
09-08-2015, 12:26 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58945867.jpg

:chuckle:

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 12:29 PM
I truly hope he has these guys playing out of their minds. I saw where he's dumbed down the defensive calls this year to "a manageable level".

TeeTee
09-08-2015, 02:37 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58945867.jpg

:chuckle:

In all honesty, here is an example of how you answer questions. Butler admits there isn't any new technique to apply to Gronk that hasn't already been tried. It was Shazier, a player who hasn't actually accomplished ANYTHING in his NFL career , who flapped his gums about how they can jam Gronk and ruin their timing. It's been tried before. I wonder how that will work out when you are giving up half a FOOT in height? I have no problem with Butler's response. But, collectively, I don't like the tone of the team heading into the season. And the smack talk about how they won't do anything different on D and they are confident it will work.....please dear God.

A blow out loss could be exactly what the doctor ordered to wake these guys up. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. I think they are gonna be pretty bad for some # of weeks on D. But that doesn't mean it's not correctable. I won't freak out over the world champs sticking it to us. It is just one game.

Count Steeler
09-08-2015, 02:56 PM
In all honesty, here is an example of how you answer questions. Butler admits there isn't any new technique to apply to Gronk that hasn't already been tried. It was Shazier, a player who hasn't actually accomplished ANYTHING in his NFL career , who flapped his gums about how they can jam Gronk and ruin their timing. It's been tried before. I wonder how that will work out when you are giving up half a FOOT in height? I have no problem with Butler's response. But, collectively, I don't like the tone of the team heading into the season. And the smack talk about how they won't do anything different on D and they are confident it will work.....please dear God.

A blow out loss could be exactly what the doctor ordered to wake these guys up. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. I think they are gonna be pretty bad for some # of weeks on D. But that doesn't mean it's not correctable. I won't freak out over the world champs sticking it to us. It is just one game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm too lazy to look it up. Didn't Allen cover Gronk in the Steelers victory over the Pats*, when the Steelers played press man coverage? Might not have been Allen, but it was a DB. How tall are our DBs? Height has little to do with jamming.

Tomlin should just ban all players from social media, ban them from speaking to the real media, in fact just ban them from speaking outside of closed doors.

vasteeler
09-08-2015, 02:56 PM

bit of an overreaction. i really didnt see any "smack" talk:noidea:

TeeTee
09-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm too lazy to look it up. Didn't Allen cover Gronk in the Steelers victory over the Pats*, when the Steelers played press man coverage? Might not have been Allen, but it was a DB. How tall are our DBs? Height has little to do with jamming.

Tomlin should just ban all players from social media, ban them from speaking to the real media, in fact just ban them from speaking outside of closed doors.

He doesn't have to ban them from talking, but how about giving them a heads up, like Belichick does, on how not to say things that come back to bite them? Would that be so bad? I don't recall who covered Gronk in that game, but that game was one example of being smart and changing things up. The D actually did a good job vs. Brady that day. But did we face the same Gronk we will Thurs. night? I am not sure. If you are referring to the game in 2011, when we won 25-17, Gronk had nearly 100 yard in receiving. It's not like his containment was the reason we won. 100 yards for a TE is still a lot of yards.

Count Steeler
09-08-2015, 03:22 PM
He doesn't have to ban them from talking, but how about giving them a heads up, like Belichick does, on how not to say things that come back to bite them? Would that be so bad? I don't recall who covered Gronk in that game, but that game was one example of being smart and changing things up. The D actually did a good job vs. Brady that day. But did we face the same Gronk we will Thurs. night? I am not sure. If you are referring to the game in 2011, when we won 25-17, Gronk had nearly 100 yard in receiving. It's not like his containment was the reason we won. 100 yards for a TE is still a lot of yards.

To borrow your logic from the other thread, 100 yards for a TE against a Steelers D is not a big deal, especially in the recent past. All depends what else the D has accomplished.

So, even if we contain Gronk, it does not guarantee a win. Gronk is not the only player to be concerned about.

TeeTee
09-08-2015, 03:42 PM
bit of an overreaction. i really didnt see any "smack" talk:noidea:

I didn't either, not in this piece. I never said this interview contained any smack talk, I said the opposite, in that, Butler answered questions honestly, including that they have no secret plan to stop Gronk, that it's all be tried before and there is nothing new to try - just to your best to execute, and there isn't much more to it than that. If you are referring to FanSince76's post, I think he may have been using sarcasm.
76 p