PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Woes Of Evaluating Secondary Continues

hawaiiansteeler
09-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Steelers Woes Of Evaluating Secondary Continues

Steelers Depot | September 6, 2015

The Pittsburgh Steelers have released a rookie defensive back.

Stop me if you’ve heard that one before.

In an all too familiar pattern, rookie cornerback Doran Grant and safety Gerod Holliman join a long list of recent defensive backs drafted only to fail to make the initial Week One roster...

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-woes-of-evaluating-secondary-continues/

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 08:18 PM
It's OK - he's back

Steelers sign Doran Grant, Anthony Chickillo to practice squad

After failing to make the team's 53-man roster on Saturday, Grant and Chickillo were signed (http://www.steelers.com/team/transactions.html) to Pittsburgh's practice squad on Monday.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-sign-Doran-Grant-Anthony-Chickillo-to-practice-squad-39250283

hawaiiansteeler
09-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers struggle to draft reliable talent at cornerback

By Dani Bostick on Sep 7, 2015, 12:01p 145

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5c4VfwrApd-_vMMALOQ0nCiPry4=/0x0:2527x1685/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47109110/usa-today-8757131.0.jpg

While the Steelers have no difficulties acquiring talent at wide receiver, the same cannot be said for the situation at cornerback.

The Steelers have drafted very well for certain positions, mining talent in later rounds and developing dark horse candidates for NFL playing time into veritable superstars. Unfortunately, their knack for identifying and developing talent has not extended to cornerback. 2015 marks the third year in a row that a cornerback drafted in the fourth or fifth rounds will not see playing time.

The Steelers have found cornerback talent in the draft before. After all, recently-retired Ike Taylor was picked up in round four of the 2003 draft and had a long, productive career with the Steelers. In the wake of his retirement, however, the Steelers are finding themselves in a bit of a personnel crisis.

This year, the Steelers second-round draft pick Senquez Golson never even got to play football-in-pads at training camp, having arrived with a lingering shoulder injury that required surgery and placed him on IR. He never had the chance to prove naysayers wrong who had been perseverating on his small size.

Fourth-round pick Doran Grant out of perennial powerhouse Ohio State was drafted to address needs at cornerback, hailed as a well-rounded player adept at both intercepting the ball and tackling opponents. He did not pan out either, recently cut by the Steelers as they whittled down their roster to the final 53.

In the 2014 draft, the Steelers only picked up one cornerback, Shaquille Richardson out of UCLA, described in very positively in his scouting report: "Quick and agile and is aggressive jumping routes when he sees it. Can make spectacular plays look easy." Though tall, Richardson was a bit scrawny and underdeveloped. He did not make the final 53, instead bouncing around the NFL on various teams' offseason/practice squad units.

In 2013 the Steelers first three picks were Jarvis Jones, Le'Veon Bell and Markus Wheaton. Safety Shamarko Thomas was picked up in the fourth round, along with the controversial Landry Jones. The Steelers did not go for a cornerback until the fifth round, selecting Terry Hawthorn who ended up released at the end of the preseason the same year he has drafted.

Cornerback was not a priority in 2012, as the Steelers used their last draft pick in the seventh round, acquiring Terrence Frederick out of Texas A & M. Frederick is still active in the NFl, though not with the Steelers. He plays for the New Orelans Saints. Not a major contributor, he still was able to start in three games in 2014, totaling 17 tackles.

2011 was the last time before using a second-round pick on Senquez Golson that the Steelers acquired a cornerback in the first three rounds. That year, their choice was Curtis Brown out of Texas. This was the same year they picked up Cortez Allen in the fourth round. Allen is still a Pittsburgh Steeler. Brown, however, only started seven games, during which he tallied only seven tackles, before he tore his ACL and was subsequently released in 2014. He was just waived by the New York Jets.

The Steelers inability to find cornerback talent in the draft is troublesome. Sure, they've acquired talent from other sources. Most recently, they picked up former Philadelphia Eagle Brandon Boykin. Still, in the wake of Ike Taylor's retirement, cornerback is one of the weakest and most worrisome positions on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster.

After cutting a few promising prospects at cornerback, including Kevin Fogg, the Steelers are left with an assortment of players who have had limited success at the position, a few of whom have been heavily criticized over the years. As things stand, William Gay and Cortez Allen will be starting with Antwon Blake, Brandon Boykin, and Ross Cockrell serving as back ups.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/9/7/9272065/pittsburgh-steelers-struggle-to-draft-reliable-talent-at-cornerback-NFL

steelreserve
09-07-2015, 11:55 PM
It's OK - he's back

Steelers sign Doran Grant, Anthony Chickillo to practice squad

It's OK as long as nobody else has any interest in them. Being on the practice squad is exactly the same as being an unrestricted free agent.

So even though this little maneuver worked - or more like didn't backfire - in the immediate short term, it was still stupid as hell.

We've got guys on the active roster who aren't even practice squad material.

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 01:09 AM
It's OK as long as nobody else has any interest in them. Being on the practice squad is exactly the same as being an unrestricted free agent.

So even though this little maneuver worked - or more like didn't backfire - in the immediate short term, it was still stupid as hell.

You value them way too much - they are scrubs no matter what jersey they wear

And any team that wants them would have to activate them to their 53 man roster.

They couldn't even make it as a back-up on our depleted defense - what makes you think they'd suddenly become golden on another team?

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 10:53 AM
You value them way too much - they are scrubs no matter what jersey they wear...

They couldn't even make it as a back-up on our depleted defense - what makes you think they'd suddenly become golden on another team?

I think they probably could've been backups on our defense and we kept players that were worse, that's what irks me.

No, I wouldn't want them starting right now, but the same goes for the last dozen guys on our bench. The difference is I think these guys are scrubs right now but have potential and we kept several scrubs with no potential on the active roster. It's not that I place some super-high value on them; it's that I value other players we kept far less.

And any team that wants them would have to activate them to their 53 man roster.

So ... the same as being an unrestricted free agent.

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 11:04 AM
So ... the same as being an unrestricted free agent.

So, some team would have to think they must stand out as starter potential in the near future to cut one of their own 53 for these guys

Neither of them are that.

Steeldude
09-08-2015, 11:23 AM
You value them way too much - they are scrubs no matter what jersey they wear

That is the exact same argument I heard on James Harrison.

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 11:33 AM
That is the exact same argument I heard on James Harrison.

What? Harrison is not some scrub that never played a down in a real game - you make no sense.

Equating these nobodies to James is insane.

Established players are dropped and added all the time

Matt Cassel back with Bills on cheaper deal (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel)

Steeldude
09-08-2015, 12:18 PM
What? Harrison is not some scrub that never played a down in a real game - you make no sense.

Equating these nobodies to James is insane.

Established players are dropped and added all the time

Matt Cassel back with Bills on cheaper deal (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel)

How many times was Harrison cut before be played a down? He wasn't an established player. Or are you not aware of Harrison's journey in the NFL?

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 12:24 PM
How many times was Harrison cut before be played a down? He wasn't an established player. Or are you not aware of Harrison's journey in the NFL?

Of course I know Harrison's history - wait - don't tell me you think these guys are the next Harrison?

Sweet dreams are made of this...

Steeldude
09-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Of course I know Harrison's history - wait - don't tell me you think these guys are the next Harrison?

In other words, would you be here writing the same post about Harrison back in the 2000's? If not for an injury to Haggans the NFL may have never known what Harrison could do.

I am not saying Chickillo or Grant will be HOFers or even above average players, but I am not going to write them off simply because they were cut and then placed on the practice squad. Chickillo looked better and/or more promising than Jarvis Jones in pre-season.

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 12:56 PM
So, some team would have to think they must stand out as starter potential in the near future to cut one of their own 53 for these guys

Neither of them are that.

No, some team would just have to have its sixth CB or its ninth LB get hurt and think one of these guys is better than a street free agent. You really think both Grant and Chickillo are so bad that neither of them could warm the end of the bench for the Jaguars? Either you weren't watching the games or reading any stories about the preseason at all, or you're delusional.

That's a great way to win arguments, you know. Take the example that was given to prove something is possible ... and then turn it around on us! We said it was possible, so we MUST think it happens 100% of the time! Every rookie who gets cut turns into the Defensive Player of the Year - surely that's what we meant!

Man - what a bunch of idiots we are! Thank God we had someone to set us straight before we traded the whole team away to get Rob Blanchflower back. What were we thinking?

teegre
09-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I was thinking about the 2013 NFL draft. It was supposed to be the "safety" draft. 23 safeties were drafted... and, only Eric Reid turned out to be anything.

I know, I know: the Steelers "could" have had Eric Reid. Hindsight is always 20/20.

My point is: it seems like DB is a position that almost every team is struggling to fill (not just the Steelers).

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Don't worry. The next draft class will be one of the deepest in years. So will the next one. And the next one. And the one after that. It's always the best draft in history!

hawaiiansteeler
09-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I was thinking about the 2013 NFL draft. It was supposed to be the "safety" draft. 23 safeties were drafted... and, only Eric Reid turned out to be anything.

I know, I know: the Steelers "could" have had Eric Reid. Hindsight is always 20/20.

yeah, the SF 49ers selected S Eric Reid with the very next pick after we took Jarvis Jones :frusty:

SteelerFanInStl
09-08-2015, 05:14 PM

Reid isn't the only one. T.J. McDonald has played very well for the Rams and actually had a better year last year than Reid did.

teegre
09-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Reid isn't the only one. T.J. McDonald has played very well for the Rams and actually had a better year last year than Reid did.

True.

But, my main point is essentially the same: the success rate for the safeties in that draft was about 8%. 23 teams drafted safeties, and only two teams had success.

hawaiiansteeler
09-08-2015, 07:48 PM
RECENT NEWS

Brandon Boykin is expected to open the season as the Steelers' No. 4 cornerback.

He's been leapfrogged on the depth chart with William Gay and Antwon Blake expected to be the outside corners and Cortez Allen manning the slot. It's a sorry group and an extreme disappointment for Boykin, who was acquired from the Eagles on August 1 in exchange for a fifth-round pick. Boykin was routinely one of the top slot corners in the league in Philadelphia the past couple seasons. Sep 8 - 8:21 PM

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7492/brandon-boykin

SteelerFanInStl
09-08-2015, 07:54 PM
True.

But, my main point is essentially the same: the success rate for the safeties in that draft was about 8%. 23 teams drafted safeties, and only two teams had success.

Yes, your point is definitely still true. Very low success rate for a draft that was supposed to be strong at safety.

- - - Updated - - -

RECENT NEWS

Brandon Boykin is expected to open the season as the Steelers' No. 4 cornerback.
He's been leapfrogged on the depth chart with William Gay and Antwon Blake expected to be the outside corners and Cortez Allen manning the slot. It's a sorry group and an extreme disappointment for Boykin, who was acquired from the Eagles on August 1 in exchange for a fifth-round pick. Boykin was routinely one of the top slot corners in the league in Philadelphia the past couple seasons. Sep 8 - 8:21 PM

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7492/brandon-boykin

How can he be #4 with this sorry group of CBs? I haven't seen Blake or Allen do much of anything in the preseason except get beat.

hawaiiansteeler
09-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

To be clear, there's no implication Cortez will be in the slot. Likely will be RCB with Gay slot in nickel.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

86WARD
09-08-2015, 08:48 PM
That's a bummer...I thought Boykin played well. Well at least he's on the roster and he cost what a mid round pick? More than we can say about the DBs they normally draft....

ALLD
09-08-2015, 09:15 PM
There should be some kind of independent draft consultant service. If not we should start one here and charge big money to the Browns.

zulater
09-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I've been saying for a couple years now the Steelers should do a draft brain swap with the Seahawks wherein we draft a couple wr's for them and they in turn draft us a couple db's. :lol:

Btw I'm only half kidding. :wink02:

teegre
09-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Yes, your point is definitely still true. Very low success rate for a draft that was supposed to be strong at safety.

Exactly, brother.

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Likely will be RCB with Gay slot in nickel.

so Gay will be covering Gronk when they move him to the slot

What could possibly go wrong

teegre
09-08-2015, 10:03 PM
I've been saying for a couple years now the Steelers should do a draft brain swap with the Seahawks wherein we draft a couple wr's for them and they in turn draft us a couple db's. :lol:

That's brilliant!!!

TD's & Beer
09-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Brandon Boykin isn't even going to be starting for the Pittsburgh Steelers

On one hand, this is bad news for the Eagles. Philadelphia only receives Pittsburgh's fourth round draft pick if Boykin plays at least 60% of the Steelers' defensive snaps. If Boykin isn't in the top three, there's a very good chance he won't play enough to fulfill that condition. Therefore, the Eagles are likely to only receive a fifth round pick for Boykin.

On the other hand, maybe this is a sign Boykin isn't good enough to get on the field on a more regular basis and the Eagles made a good deal by trading him away. Especially considering Boykin was on the last year of his contract.

It's not like Boykin is buried behind great players, either. He's stuck behind the likes of William Gay, Antwon Blake, and Cortez Allen.

One could argue the Eagles would still be better off with Boykin right now. The team currently doesn't have an answer at the nickel position after trading him away and seeing JaCorey Shepherd, his potential replacement, go down with a season-ending injury.

But what's done is done. Boykin is gone and he's not even starting. The Eagles are likely to receive a fifth round pick in from the Steelers in the 2016 NFL Draft.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...nickel-outside (http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/9/8/9284671/brandon-boykin-pittsburgh-steelers-trade-eagles-cornerback-starting-nickel-outside)

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Just to add to this, the CB that we let leave in the off-season, McCain, is now starting for the Dolphins.

Mojouw
09-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Might work! ALthough now that Carrol is not drafting guys he recruited out of HS, their hit % on draft picks has fallen off somewhat.

TD's & Beer
09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
McCain, is now starting for the Dolphins.

Looks like it

All signs point to Brice McCain starting at corner for Miami Dolphins in opener

Barring a late change of plans, Brice McCain is expected to start at cornerback for the Miami Dolphins on Sunday against the Redskins, multiple sources have told the Miami Herald.

McCain, who signed with the Dolphins in the offseason, is believed to have won the last remaining position battle on the team. McCain was among the league’s top slot cornerbacks in football last year

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nf...e34381623.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article34381623.html)

hawaiiansteeler
09-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Q: Gerry, I'm surprised that Boykin hasn't cracked the top 3 at CB thus far. Any insight?

Gerry Dulac: He is having some problems and playing a little stiff. He's not even the nickel back. And for this they traded a fifth-round pick. It's all part of the mess that is the Steelers secondary right now

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

Steelman
09-09-2015, 04:51 PM
How can you expect much more than solid depth for a 5th round pick anyway? It's not like he was a top CB in the league, and didn't play outside at that. I liked Boykin in Philly and think he'll figure it out later in the season and move up into the nickel back full time, but I have no problem with him being 4th on the chart right now.

86WARD
09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Maybe some or all of this trash should be thrown out...

Phil Kreidler, College Scouting Coordinator
Brandon Hunt, Pro Personnel Coordinator
Rick Reiprish, Senior Assistant, College Scouting
Mark Bruener, College Scout
Mike Butler, College Scout
Dan Colbert, College/Pro Scout
Mark Gorscak, College Scout
Chidi Iwuoma, BLESTO Scout
Bruce McNorton, College Scout

katmandu
09-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Just to add to this, the CB that we let leave in the off-season, McCain, is now starting for the Dolphins.The Steeler's should have made more of an attempt to keep him.

- - - Updated - - -

Gerry Dulac: He is having some problems and playing a little stiff. He's not even the nickel back. And for this they traded a fifth-round pick. It's all part of the mess that is the Steelers secondary right now

http://www.post-gazette.com/chatThis is going to take years to get the secondary straighten out. At the detriment to other positions I'm afraid. Not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe some or all of this trash should be thrown out...

Phil Kreidler, College Scouting Coordinator
Brandon Hunt, Pro Personnel Coordinator
Rick Reiprish, Senior Assistant, College Scouting
Mark Bruener, College Scout
Mike Butler, College Scout
Dan Colbert, College/Pro Scout
Mark Gorscak, College Scout
Chidi Iwuoma, BLESTO Scout
Bruce McNorton, College ScoutCertainly Coach Lake and Coach Butler have their say in who comes/goes in the secondary.

Hard to believe all the chaos going on in that unit with these guys at the helm.

Count Steeler
09-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Think about our O Line just a few short years ago. Nary a concern today, except when injuries are involved. The O Line was neglected and then they had to spend some top draft picks to fill the holes. Now, they have neglected the secondary and it is going to take a while to rebuild. Once we have the talent, let's grab a Munchak quality coach for the secondary. Then another area will be weak.

86WARD
09-09-2015, 08:17 PM
The shitty drafts and refusal to bring in big name free agents is starting to catch up with them. There's no depth or development coming out of these drafts and there's not enough starting talent...something has to be done.

TD's & Beer
09-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Cortez Allen – in the first season of a four-year, $24.6 million contract

http://overthecap.com/player/cortez-allen/1588/

Don't forget about that move

and now the asswhack

(https://twitter.com/PHLEaglesNation/status/627866009999908864) If Boykin plays at least 60% of snaps for the Steelers, the Eagles get a 4th round pick in 2016

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/boykin-must-play-60-of-snaps-in-order-for-eagles-to-get-steelers-4th-in-2016/

NCSteeler
09-10-2015, 07:29 PM
If we cut our entire secondary, would more than two of them be claimed off waivers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

86WARD
09-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Possibly worse than I thought...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
09-11-2015, 01:27 AM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/JwxjasUKXTRrczAqpu4CN42o7dM=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4050612/GROOONK.0.gif

Steeldude
09-11-2015, 03:37 AM
So where are the fans who said you wouldn't see this type of play in the regular season?

Look at #41 Blake slow up and give a half-hearted attempt at a tackle. Golden wasn't any better.

Count Steeler
09-11-2015, 05:20 AM
So, this is the first pre season game? NOW you decide to play defense, or what you hope passes for defense?

Let's see this crew in 4 weeks. That is what pre season is for, but for some strange reason, we went through FIVE pre season games without trying to get our defense in rhythm. Genius.

86WARD
09-11-2015, 05:54 AM
So where are the fans who said you wouldn't see this type of play in the regular season?

Look at #41 Blake slow up and give a half-hearted attempt at a tackle. Golden wasn't any better.

I noticed that during the game...WTF. These guys need to go to the Ryan Clark school of hitting. Not one of them attempt to wrap their arms either...

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Yea, pathetic. Blake and Cortez need to be shown the bench. They both suck. I'd rather have McCain in there than either one of them.

hawaiiansteeler
09-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Yea, pathetic. Blake and Cortez need to be shown the bench. They both suck.

I agree.

I still don't understand why Boykin didn't play last night, could he possibly have been worse than Blake or Allen?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-trade-acquisition-brandon-boykin-logs-zero-defensive-snaps-in-first-game/

86WARD
09-12-2015, 01:56 AM
Could this be a Lance Moore type thing all over again with Boykin?

Here's my favorite line from the story:

The likely explanation is that the coaching staff was not yet comfortable with his level of understanding of the defense, given that he was only acquired about a month or so ago, and thus does not have the same level of trust afforded to Allen and Blake, both of whom are in at least their third season with the team.

zulater
09-12-2015, 04:15 AM

Sadly this is the sense that I get too. And I don't care if he doesn't understand the defense as well as the others. Unlike them he can actually cover NFL receivers. The understanding will improve with play. It's fairly obvious that wont be the case with Cortez Allen. Allen should be cut now. Activate Doran from the practice squad.

salamander
09-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Why didn't Boykin play? Because Tomlin is too stubborn (or too dumb) to realize that guys like Blake and Allen suck.

Cyphon25
09-12-2015, 06:25 AM

Same line that stood out to me. Let's hope they aren't that dumb.

SteelerFanInStl
09-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Sadly this is the sense that I get too. And I don't care if he doesn't understand the defense as well as the others. Unlike them he can actually cover NFL receivers. The understanding will improve with play. It's fairly obvious that wont be the case with Cortez Allen. Allen should be cut now. Activate Doran from the practice squad.

I agree, it's a stupid excuse and Boykin should have been in there. Cortez and Blake may understand the defense, but they sure as Hell can't cover anyone.

TD's & Beer
09-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Allen should be cut now. .

Won't happen

zulater
09-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Won't happen

Yeah I know. But they're only delaying the inevitable. And every down he plays you're taking away playing time from a better player. So to me you just need to acknowledge the mistake and move on. You only hurt yourself by denying the obvious.

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 11:16 PM
good thing we didn't re-sign this guy...:frusty:

Dolphins CB Brice McCain's One-Handed Acrobatic INT | Dolphins vs. Redskins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhDdYL7M9e4

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2015, 11:39 PM
my question is still what the fuck happened to Tez? the dude looked so good his first couple of seasons in the league. he even graded out as the best slot corner in the league one season. his regression is disturbing

86WARD
09-14-2015, 04:09 AM

They got Boykin...guess you didn't see him Thursday...uh wait...

Steeldude
09-14-2015, 05:36 AM

That's ok, the Steelers have C. Allen and his bloated contract.

What does Tomlin see or can he see?

ALLD
09-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Looks like it

All signs point to Brice McCain starting at corner for Miami Dolphins in opener

Barring a late change of plans, Brice McCain is expected to start at cornerback for the Miami Dolphins on Sunday against the Redskins, multiple sources have told the Miami Herald.

McCain, who signed with the Dolphins in the offseason, is believed to have won the last remaining position battle on the team. McCain was among the league’s top slot cornerbacks in football last year

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nf...e34381623.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article34381623.html)

He had a real nice pic looking like AB in the Washington game yesterday.

Mojouw
09-14-2015, 09:52 AM
McCain had nothing to do with talent or evaluation of talent. It had to do with money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/brice-mccain/ - counts 2-3.5 million against the cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/brandon-boykin/ - counts from just below 500K to just below 700K against the cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antwon-blake/ - counts 1.5 million.

I think you all get the point. Someone made an evaluation that it wasn't feasible to pay McCain 3 million dollars to man the slot.

TD's & Beer
09-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Brady could see “chaos” on the Steelers’ defense

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski’s three-touchdown game on Thursday night was aided in large part by major mistakes in the Steelers’ secondary, with Gronkowski being left open on multiple occasions. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady says those problems on the Steelers’ defense were easy to see.

“I saw he was uncovered and I can usually get a good sense of when there’s not great communication going on between the defense. I typically want the ball in my hands at that point."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

86WARD
09-14-2015, 07:23 PM

Even if he doesn't understand the defense, it was evident on Thursday that neither do the other 5-6 that were playing back there...is it really that hard to stick Boykin on one guy? Even if the rest of the team is playing some sort of complicated scheme? Boykin on Edelman. Rest of the team, ignore them both. done...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
09-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Even if he doesn't understand the defense, it was evident on Thursday that neither do the other 5-6 that were playing back there...is it really that hard to stick Boykin on one guy? Even if the rest of the team is playing some sort of complicated scheme? Boykin on Edelman. Rest of the team, ignore them both. done...lol.

my exact sentiments.

Brady targeted Edelman 12 times and completed 11 out of those 12 passes. could Boykin really have done any worse?

hawaiiansteeler
09-15-2015, 08:03 PM
The #Steelers have allowed 34 pass TDs since the start of last season, better than only the Bears and Buccaneers. But Boykin rides the pine

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Again from a schematic standpoint, im going to go out on a limb and say anyone who suggests Brandon Boykin could have possibly done worse in man coverage against Edelman than Blake is nuts. Especially considering Edelman was sitting in the slot all night, a spot where we already KNOW Boykin absolutely excels (only question is can he play outside).

Im not giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this one because of their propensity to refuse to play superior players behind inferior vets in recent years. If Boykin was at the very least assigned to Edelman last week, the patriots would have had multiple drives end prematurely. Gronk may have been the one scoring from everywhere, but Edelman was the one moving the chains

ALLD
09-16-2015, 09:25 AM
They should hire some of the big winner from Fan Duel.com to pick our next secondary draft.

86WARD
09-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Again from a schematic standpoint, im going to go out on a limb and say anyone who suggests Brandon Boykin could have possibly done worse in man coverage against Edelman than Blake is nuts. Especially considering Edelman was sitting in the slot all night, a spot where we already KNOW Boykin absolutely excels (only question is can he play outside).

Im not giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this one because of their propensity to refuse to play superior players behind inferior vets in recent years. If Boykin was at the very least assigned to Edelman last week, the patriots would have had multiple drives end prematurely. Gronk may have been the one scoring from everywhere, but Edelman was the one moving the chains

And moving them with ease...I'm still not sure why New England didn't continue throwing to him...

steelreserve
09-16-2015, 11:33 AM
McCain had nothing to do with talent or evaluation of talent. It had to do with money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/brice-mccain/ - counts 2-3.5 million against the cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/brandon-boykin/ - counts from just below 500K to just below 700K against the cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antwon-blake/ - counts 1.5 million.

I think you all get the point. Someone made an evaluation that it wasn't feasible to pay McCain 3 million dollars to man the slot.

There's no doubt about that. Basically we were going to keep one of McCain or Blake and try to upgrade the other position, and Blake had the RFA tag available, so it made the decision easy for us. Blake is also a lot younger than McCain, so he had "potential" on his side.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. They both played about the same last year, and the money and age tipped the balance to Blake, so it makes sense why they did it.

steelreserve
09-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Brady targeted Edelman 12 times and completed 11 out of those 12 passes. could Boykin really have done any worse?

I agree 100% with all of this. And not only that, but it looked like a lot of the time they were able to entice us into a mismatch of Edelman vs. a linebacker, and we lost that every time.

One of my big worries against the 49ers is that they have a TE with good hands who is basically the slot receiver on a lot of plays, only unlike the Patriots, they don't always line him up as a receiver, they play him at the line. So if we go "Hey, that's the tight end - therefore, let's cover him with a linebacker," then we are setting ourselves up for a long, long, long, long day on defense.

However, as I said in the other thread, since their TE is neither slow nor lumbering nor white, we'll probably remember to cover him and he'll do minimal damage.

hawaiiansteeler
10-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Shamarko Thomas’ Time Running Out In Pittsburgh

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/shamarko-thomas-time-running-out-in-pittsburgh/

TD's & Beer
10-07-2015, 02:39 PM
More drum beating

Steelers should try trading Shamarko Thomas

It's year three, and Thomas is relegated to special teams duty. Twelve-year veteran Will Allen snatched his starting safety spot alongside Mike Mitchell. Allen has been a steadying presence through four games this year. They also have team captain Robert Golden as a backup safety/special teams ace.

If Thomas isn't in the future plans, the Steelers can explore whether a late-round pick -- preferably, the sixth-rounder they lost in the Scobee trade -- is available in exchange. Thomas could go to a team that accentuates Thomas' strength, which is seeing a play and chasing it. He's also an effective blitzer. Mike Tomlin said Thomas' problems have been "above the neck." In other words, he's not making the mental adjustments required of a safety in this system.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...ry-trading-him (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/15595/if-shamarko-thomas-isnt-replacing-troy-polamalu-steelers-should-try-trading-him)

teegre
10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
It bears iteration:

FS then SS ...or... SS then FS.

R1: Jalen Ramsey (trade up), Nate Andrews, Su'a Cravens
R2: Karl Joseph, Jalen Mills

zulater
10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
More drum beating

Steelers should try trading Shamarko Thomas

It's year three, and Thomas is relegated to special teams duty. Twelve-year veteran Will Allen snatched his starting safety spot alongside Mike Mitchell. Allen has been a steadying presence through four games this year. They also have team captain Robert Golden as a backup safety/special teams ace.

If Thomas isn't in the future plans, the Steelers can explore whether a late-round pick -- preferably, the sixth-rounder they lost in the Scobee trade -- is available in exchange. Thomas could go to a team that accentuates Thomas' strength, which is seeing a play and chasing it. He's also an effective blitzer. Mike Tomlin said Thomas' problems have been "above the neck." In other words, he's not making the mental adjustments required of a safety in this system.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...ry-trading-him (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/15595/if-shamarko-thomas-isnt-replacing-troy-polamalu-steelers-should-try-trading-him)

For what? Who would give so much as a 6th round pick for him? Cut him. If he has an NFL future it's not with this team.

hawaiiansteeler
10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
It bears iteration:

FS then SS ...or... SS then FS.

R1: Jalen Ramsey (trade up), Nate Andrews, Su'a Cravens
R2: Karl Joseph, Jalen Mills

love it! :thumbsup:

this is definitely a great year to address the safety position early in the draft. besides the safeties you mentioned, both Darian Thompson from Boise St and Vonn Bell from Ohio St would also be good Rd 2 possibilities...

teegre
10-07-2015, 06:06 PM
love it! :thumbsup:

this is definitely a great year to address the safety position early in the draft. besides the safeties you mentioned, both Darian Thompson from Boise St and Vonn Bell from Ohio St would also be good Rd 2 possibilities...

I'll allow you to decide which one will actually be taken... you're money when I comes to predicting the draft.

hawaiiansteeler
10-07-2015, 06:17 PM
I'll allow you to decide which one will actually be taken... you're money when I comes to predicting the draft.

you are a very humble man SU Draft King! :nw:

teegre
10-07-2015, 06:51 PM
you are a very humble man SU Draft King! :nw:

I am the blind squirrel who found a nut. :lol:

TD's & Beer
10-07-2015, 06:52 PM
For what? Who would give so much as a 6th round pick for him? Cut him. If he has an NFL future it's not with this team.

This is a business. Let's just explore the possibilities where any transaction could be a possible return on our investment.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure"

Somebody might fall for it.

hawaiiansteeler
10-07-2015, 07:00 PM
This is a business. Let's just explore the possibilities where any transaction could be a possible return on our investment.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure"

Somebody might fall for it.

exactly!

after all, Jacksonville was able to find some sucker team to give up a 6th round draft choice for their reject kicker...

86WARD
10-07-2015, 07:06 PM
No one is going to give up anything for him...why would they? He's been nothing but a special teams player with very little actual game tape.

tube517
10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
No one is going to give up anything for him...why would they? He's been nothing but a special teams player with very little actual game tape.

Ah, but it is "solid" special teams tape. :thumbsup:

Enough about Sharknado. Please no more threads about any Steeler player. Period. :nono: :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Enough about Sharknado. Please no more threads about any Steeler player. Period. :nono: :chuckle:

and especially not about Brandon Boykin...:deadhorse:

Shoes
10-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Ah, but it is "solid" special teams tape. :thumbsup:

It was *solid* special teams tape, Maybe we could get something for Archer. *I really liked the violence with which he played. His hands have been heavy*

Count Steeler
10-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Archer's value may be at an all time high. He did return a kick past the 30 yard line. He should consider retiring.

hawaiiansteeler
10-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Archer's value may be at an all time high. He did return a kick past the 30 yard line. He should consider retiring.

as soon as Archer did that I yelled, "Shit"...

my wife turned to me and said, "wasn't that good"?

I said, "no, this means the Steelers will probably keep him for a little longer..."

hawaiiansteeler
10-09-2015, 05:52 PM
BigD: Boykin was one of the best slot CBs in the NFL last year and now he can’t get on the field. Do you think he is displeased toward the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I talked to him yesterday and he was not in as talkative mood as he was earlier in the season. Said he will just do what they ask him to do. I would guess he is not delighted with the situation. He thought coming here would be a breath of fresh air and he can't get on the field even as much as he did in Philly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/06/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-6-15/stories/201510060172

SteelerFanInStl
10-09-2015, 06:05 PM
BigD: Boykin was one of the best slot CBs in the NFL last year and now he can’t get on the field. Do you think he is displeased toward the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I talked to him yesterday and he was not in as talkative mood as he was earlier in the season. Said he will just do what they ask him to do. I would guess he is not delighted with the situation. He thought coming here would be a breath of fresh air and he can't get on the field even as much as he did in Philly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/06/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-6-15/stories/201510060172

Quite frankly this whole situation just pisses me off. We trade for Boykin to improve our secondary and then after trading for him, we decide that we want to play Gay in the slot and make a decision that Boykin can only play in the slot. All of this while continuing to start Blake, who can't cover my Grandma. F'ing ridiculous!

ALLD
10-11-2015, 02:00 PM
They need to draft two, so they have one for the PS while the other goes on IR.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Rollins for the Packers had 2 picks today, one for a TD. We could've taken him in the 2nd but took Golsen instead.