PDA

View Full Version : Steelers restructured LB Lawrence Timmons' contract

polamalubeast
09-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Count Steeler
09-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Why are they clearing so much cap space? I realize they have some players they want to extend/resign, but only 3 days left for that this year.

Sure hope they have a trade up their sleeve.

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Kam Chancellor come on down!

ALLD
09-07-2015, 10:06 AM

That would be a decent move and solve a lot of problems from poor drafting to current roster. They might need to move away from the 1979 philosophy of trying to build a team exclusively from the draft to building one from the best players available at a feasible cost.

Ben has 5 good years left and if they waste them they will have to live with it.

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 10:12 AM

That would be a decent move and solve a lot of problems from poor drafting to current roster

We'd have to give up a 1st and a 3rd most likely and give him a new contract and pay him $10M a year.

And the front office would have to swallow their pride in a big gulp for the next Troy.

Ben has 5 good years left and if they waste them they will have to live with it.

yep - that countdown clock is ticking too

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Why are they clearing so much cap space? I realize they have some players they want to extend/resign, but only 3 days left for that this year.

Sure hope they have a trade up their sleeve.

I'm interested in what they're working on also. It better be something for this season.

I also find it curious that they just cut a bunch of guys from the PS that they signed yesterday.

katmandu
09-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm interested in what they're working on also. It better be something for this season.

I also find it curious that they just cut a bunch of guys from the PS that they signed yesterday.It is very intriguing.

I hope Tomlin, Colbert and Omar Khan are burning the midnight oil trying to figure out how the Steeler's can afford Kam Chancellor....and Beachum and the others.

- - - Updated - - -

640880639399587840How far under the CAP are the Steelers right now.

What's that website that tracks CAP numbers ?

- - - Updated - - -

How far under the CAP are the Steelers right now.

What's that website that tracks CAP numbers ?Here you go Katmandu!

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

- - - Updated - - -

This just made me throw up !

2015 Dead Money

Name
Cap Number

Lamarr Woodley (http://overthecap.com/player/lamarr-woodley/1616)
$8,580,000

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
This just made me throw up !

Is this the last year for Woodley?

polamalubeast
09-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Is this the last year for Woodley?

yes

katmandu
09-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Is this the last year for Woodley?Thank God, YES!

Check this website out. You can see the CAP #s each year through 2020. Pretty cool!

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

BTW Mods, that site should also be "Stickied" for quick access.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the last year for Woodley?The Steelers would have probably been able to snag Kam Chancellor with Woodley's $8.5 Million dollars !

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Is Kam Chancellor the right safety to go get? That would mean the entire roster is made up of safeties who perform best in the box. Who is going to cover the deep middle?

Chancellor will most likely cost multiple top 3 round draft picks and $10 million dollars plus per year. All that to get a better version of Mitchell and Thomas and still not have a coverage safety.

That is, for me, an inexcusable waste of resources and duplication of effort.

Shoes
09-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Is Kam Chancellor the right safety to go get? That would mean the entire roster is made up of safeties who perform best in the box. Who is going to cover the deep middle?

Chancellor will most likely cost multiple top 3 round draft picks and $10 million dollars plus per year. All that to get a better version of Mitchell and Thomas and still not have a coverage safety.

Good point, on the other hand Mitchell will probably be on the pine plank with an ice pack some where on his body by halftime Thursday night.

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Good point, on the other hand Mitchell will probably be on the pine plank with an ice pack some where on his body by halftime Thursday night.

That is far too true. Mitchell might rip a groin coming out of the tunnel.

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Duplication of what? you think little lost Sharmarko and Mitchell are any GOOD?

Since there aren't any blue chip CB's available to help this defense he's the best shot to get immediate improvement in the secondary.

Of course the Steelers would never do it, they are satisfied running the same old shit out there year after year...our secondary minus Brice is the same as last year's now, I believe.

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Duplication of what? you think little lost Sharmarko and Mitchell are any GOOD?

Since there aren't any blue chip CB's available to help this defense he's the best shot to get immediate improvement in the secondary.

Of course the Steelers would never do it, they are satisfied running the same old shit out there year after year...our secondary minus Brice is the same as last year's now, I believe.

Never said that Chancellor wasn't better. But you have already paid costs to get Mitchell and Shamarko. Gutting the top of your 2016 draft (say a #1 and a #3) would leave the team with a 2nd round, a 4th round and a 7th round. So now Chancellor basically represents your major 2016 reinforcements as well. Because those 3 picks are not contributing right away. On top of that he costs 10+ million in cap space. Where does that come from? Cutting Mitchell and Thomas (as they have no role on roster with Chancellor) only nets maybe 6 million in cap space. Where does the other 4 million come from AND still get you Decastro, Beachum, Brown, and Timmons into the mix (all will need extensions/restructures this upcoming off-season).

Even if you can make all of the above work, you still need another safety. Don't forget that just like Polamalu had Clark getting his back, Chancellor has Earl Thomas (who is actually far better). So that means the Steelers would either have to retain Shamarko and hope the light bulb goes off, pursue a vet safety in FA (but with absolutely no cap space - this is likely out), or go get a rookie who can play day 1 in the draft. That would mean that in 2016 a 1st round, a 2nd round, and a 3rd round pick would be spent on your two starting safeties.

But, is Chancellor better? Of course. Is he the missing piece of a SB champion? I don't know. If he is, then do it and damn the torpedoes because trophies last forever. If he is not - well you give up a HELL of a lot to have a better shot at going 11-5.

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 12:58 PM
But, is Chancellor better? Of course. Is he the missing piece of a SB champion? I don't know. If he is, then do it and damn the torpedoes because trophies last forever. If he is not - well you give up a HELL of a lot to have a better shot at going 11-5.

We only have a handful of years left with Ben - then we go back to the dark ages at QB- so yeah - I want to go for it all now.

I know we have lots of missing pieces, but we'd have a better chance at defending a pass.

Maybe they are just getting ready to pay Antonio.

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:51 PM
KAM, KAM, KAM, KAM!

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Never said that Chancellor wasn't better. But you have already paid costs to get Mitchell and Shamarko. Gutting the top of your 2016 draft (say a #1 and a #3) would leave the team with a 2nd round, a 4th round and a 7th round. So now Chancellor basically represents your major 2016 reinforcements as well. Because those 3 picks are not contributing right away. On top of that he costs 10+ million in cap space. Where does that come from? Cutting Mitchell and Thomas (as they have no role on roster with Chancellor) only nets maybe 6 million in cap space. Where does the other 4 million come from AND still get you Decastro, Beachum, Brown, and Timmons into the mix (all will need extensions/restructures this upcoming off-season).

Even if you can make all of the above work, you still need another safety. Don't forget that just like Polamalu had Clark getting his back, Chancellor has Earl Thomas (who is actually far better). So that means the Steelers would either have to retain Shamarko and hope the light bulb goes off, pursue a vet safety in FA (but with absolutely no cap space - this is likely out), or go get a rookie who can play day 1 in the draft. That would mean that in 2016 a 1st round, a 2nd round, and a 3rd round pick would be spent on your two starting safeties.

I don't worry at all about gutting the draft...this team can't draft well as of late...especially in addressing the back end of the defense. I'd be more than happy to go that direction and figure out the finances later...Chancellor would be a better representation of a 2016 draft than what the Steelers would potentially field.

katmandu
09-07-2015, 08:16 PM
.....damn the torpedoes because trophies last forever.Great line Mojouw !

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Ben won't last forever

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 09:07 PM
KAM, KAM, KAM, KAM!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/640640969994465280/QsApxoWn_bigger.pngJosina AndersonVerified account‏@JosinaAnderson (https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson)

I'm also told Kam Chancellor has not been informed of any interested trade partners at this time. #Seahawks (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Seahawks?src=hash).

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 09:21 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Looks like we can all stop dreaming of Chancellor or any real spending. Prior to the Timmons restructure team was just below the cap. Why? Because there is almost $30 million dollars in cap space tied up in injured players and dead money! Holy smokes, that is a ton of cash!

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Honestly, I just assumed that Khan restructured another contract because no one told him not to, so what the hell, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

Because there is almost $30 million dollars in cap space tied up in injured players and dead money! Holy smokes, that is a ton of cash!

Well, nobody said it was easy being a cap genius.

Mojouw
09-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I just assumed that Khan restructured another contract because no one told him not to, so what the hell, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, nobody said it was easy being a cap genius.

Yeah but no one can predict 14 million in injured players.

fansince'76
09-08-2015, 12:24 AM
Ben won't last forever

Agreed. Normally I would be all for taking the conservative approach, but at this point I'm up for creating cap hell a few years down the road. This team has to be put in the position to win NOW. Because once Ben hangs them up, the window will truly close, and it might remain shut for a very long time afterwards, if history is any guide. They really don't have anymore time for the building through the draft approach, especially if they continue to whiff on DBs.

hawaiiansteeler
09-08-2015, 12:28 AM
my prediction:

cap room for Beachum's new contract...

fansince'76
09-08-2015, 12:30 AM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Looks like we can all stop dreaming of Chancellor or any real spending. Prior to the Timmons restructure team was just below the cap. Why? Because there is almost $30 million dollars in cap space tied up in injured players and dead money! Holy smokes, that is a ton of cash!

Thankfully, they'll FINALLY be finished paying for the Woodley mistake after this year.

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Yeah but no one can predict 14 million in injured players.

You can, however, predict $16 million for fucking up ...

TD's & Beer
09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Ben won't last forever

Agreed. Normally I would be all for taking the conservative approach, but This team has to be put in the position to win NOW. Because once Ben hangs them up, the window will truly close

I can hear it now - 'The Landry Jones Era has begun'

tube517
09-08-2015, 10:53 AM
my prediction:

and maybe DeCastro?

- - - Updated - - -

my prediction:

and maybe DeCastro?

teegre
09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
You can, however, predict $16 million for fucking up ...

Again, three SuperBowl appearances in six years, netting two Lombardis. The cost was this current $16 million.

For the past ten years, every other team team would trade places with the Steelers to net the same results.

Steelers: 2 Lombradis, 3 appearances
NYGiants: 2 Lombradis, 2 appearances
Taperiots: 1 Lombradi, 3 appearances
Seahawks: 1 Lombradi, 3 appearances
Colts: 1 Lombardi, 2 appearances
Ravens: 1 Lombardi, 1 appearance
Saints: 1 Lombardi, 1 appearance
Niners: 0 Lombradis, 1 appearance
Broncos: 0 Lombradis, 1 appearance
Bears: 0 Lombradis, 1 appearance

Mojouw
09-08-2015, 06:00 PM
The standard is the standard.

tube517
09-08-2015, 06:04 PM
The standard is the standard.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBBXsT8K-pC7uBTvJsBZo9TpNa4ou3CWJHpDsMzKKGn_7rjaj0IRlbUhI

steelreserve
09-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Again, three SuperBowl appearances in six years, netting two Lombardis. The cost was this current $16 million.

For the past ten years, every other team team would trade places with the Steelers to net the same results.

No, the cost was the $25 million or so over the cap we were every season from about 2008-13, and the payoff was one Super Bowl loss. The two wins we got before the cap mess.

We were "fortunate" that we didn't have many players worth re-signing from the draft classes of that era or we would've lost them, although the outcome is the same.

Anyway, we should be long since done with the cap problems from the "keep the team together for one more run" period. That was five years ago, six or seven when some of those contracts were signed. What we have left are the results of separate mistakes.

teegre
09-08-2015, 10:00 PM
No, the cost was the $25 million or so over the cap we were every season from about 2008-13, and the payoff was one Super Bowl loss. The two wins we got before the cap mess.

We were "fortunate" that we didn't have many players worth re-signing from the draft classes of that era or we would've lost them, although the outcome is the same.

Anyway, we should be long since done with the cap problems from the "keep the team together for one more run" period. That was five years ago, six or seven when some of those contracts were signed. What we have left are the results of separate mistakes.

No, no, no.

They kept the core of that 2005 team (Ward, BB, Farrior, Polamalu, Taylor, Keisel, Smith, Foote) together through 2010... via restructuring. That's two more SuperBowl appearances (2008, 2010) and one more Lombardi.

Other teams had to cut their entire core group (Chargers) and still won nothing.

2/3 > 0/0

If the Steelers had won in 2010, most of that core would have retired (eliminating their salaries). Alas, they stuck around for an extra season or four... which caused salaries to be pushed into 2014 & 2015. Those salaries might have been absorbed, but simultaneously, the salary cap did NOT go up for two years.

Seven years sgo??? Troy just retired. So did Ike. And, Keisel. :huh:

steelreserve
09-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Seven years sgo??? Troy just retired. So did Ike. And, Keisel. :huh:

Yeah, but those guys' "keep the band together" contracts were all over by then and they were on new lower-value deals. Troy's turned out to bite us since we gave him a hefty signing bonus and he only played one year of it. Kiesel was on a new contract paying him close to the minimum. Harrison's big contract was torn up two years ago. Taylor took a pay cut to $2M. And the other significant ones from that era (Hampton, A. Smith, Clark, Farrior, etc.) were over with too.

Ben and Heath are still contributing at a level about right for their pay, so I don't really consider that a problem. The only thing left is Woodley's contract, which was a mistake by any standard. Everything else from that era is long gone. Done-ski. Any cap issues we have now are a new set of issues of our own making.

In reality, what's happening is that we're taking the cap space from the big contracts of the past and redistributing it to below-average defensive backs and to linemen making $10M a year. More of the same coming. The only way to keep it steady is to pile the house of cards even higher. I sure hope they can keep it up until Ben retires, because it is going to come crashing down HARD when it does.

86WARD
09-09-2015, 06:21 AM
That Woodley contract was a horrific mistake. Possibly the worst contract in Steelers history?