PDA

View Full Version : Roster moves....

polamalubeast
09-06-2015, 12:27 PM

09/06/2015 Signed RB Jordan Todman; Claimed DE Caushaud Lyons; Released CB Doran Grant; Waived LB Anthony Chickillo.

http://www.steelers.com/team/transactions.html?campaign=social_20150906_5205133 6&adbid=640573999861272576&adbpl=tw&adbpr=19426729

86WARD
09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
That Chickillo waiver (I hope to get him to practice squad) is gonna ruffle a lot of feathers...just a reminder...Landry Jones still has a roster spot...

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
with Doran Grant being waived that means we once again receive no help in the secondary from the draft...:frusty:

Drazo85
09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Colbert is losing it.

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2015, 12:55 PM
WTF?!?!?!?!? Why did we waive Grant and Chikillo to sign a #3 RB and some scrub who I've never even heard of?

This front office is just plain fucking stupid!!!! I'm getting sick of this shit.

Steeldude
09-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Yet they keep Archer. I'm sorry, I know everyone is going to say, "The FO knows more than you", but keeping Archer is completely clueless. He can't play RB, WR, KR or PR. Where does he fit? Signing Mostert would have been better, IMO.

So which RB or FB do they release when Bell returns?

86WARD
09-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Yet they keep Archer. I'm sorry, I know everyone is going to say, "The FO knows more than you", but keeping Archer is completely clueless. He can't play RB, WR, KR or PR. Where does he fit? Signing Mostert would have been better, IMO.

So which RB or FB do they release when Bell returns?

I unfortunately think they will sacrifice Nix...

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 01:02 PM
WTF?!?!?!?!? Why did we waive Grant and Chikillo to sign a #3 RB and some scrub who I've never even heard of?

DE Cashaud Lyons was an UDFA from Div II Tusculum who played very well in pre-season for the Bucs but got caught at a very deep position for them. Tampa Bay was trying to sneak him onto their PS, a good signing by the Steelers...

86WARD
09-06-2015, 01:03 PM
I can't recall for sure, grant being released makes it 3 years that the Steelers draft secondary help in the mid rounds and not one lasted a full season...

Great at scouting WRs...equally bad at scouting DBs.

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2015, 01:13 PM
DE Cashaud Lyons was an UDFA from Div II Tusculum who played very well in pre-season for the Bucs but got caught at a very deep position for them. Tampa Bay was trying to sneak him onto their PS, a good signing by the Steelers...

Releasing players from 2 of our thinnest positions isn't smart unless if we sign someone at those positions that's better than they are.

This guy wasn't drafted and is simply a long shot athletic prospect coming from Div 2. We've already got one prospect DE in Walton. Why not cut him instead or Cam Thomas?

This just doesn't make sense to me at all. Once again we've wasted a 5th round pick on a CB who didn't even make the team and then we cut the young OLBer who showed the most promise in preseason.

salamander
09-06-2015, 01:23 PM
WTF are they doing? None of these moves they've been making make ANY sense. :doh:

stillers4me
09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

polamalubeast
09-06-2015, 01:28 PM

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2015, 01:34 PM
All of these wasted draft picks on CBs just make me sick to my stomach.

polamalubeast
09-06-2015, 01:41 PM

I prefer to laugh!!!!

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Releasing players from 2 of our thinnest positions isn't smart unless if we sign someone at those positions that's better than they are.

This guy wasn't drafted and is simply a long shot athletic prospect coming from Div 2. We've already got one prospect DE in Walton. Why not cut him instead or Cam Thomas?

when Cam Thomas makes your team you know you're not deep on the defensive line.

Lyons is raw but let's see what Mitchell can do with him. like I said, Lyons played very well in the preseason, that's more than can be said for most of our DL...

tube517
09-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Dang it. If Chick-fil-A is snatched up by Arizona or Tennessee 😬😬😬

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Mojouw
09-06-2015, 02:08 PM
I guess I need to realize that a 53 man roster isn't always the "best" 53 players, but the most necessary 53 players. You simply don't need 10 LBers and the Steelers haven't carried more than 9 since the middle 1990's and that was for only part of a season due to injuries.

They were also heavy at DB. They are light at RB - at least for 2 weeks. As for Cam Thomas, Landry Jones, and Archer - well I guess the same idea(s) apply. They are thin at DL, so there was no scenario where Thomas doesn't make the team, simply because he has a pulse and is a larger man. The Steelers are committed to an organizational belief in a 3rd QB. So Jones was making the roster no matter what. Even if it wasn't Jones, it would have been another QB. Cutting Jones wouldn't have saved Chickillo's roster spot. I can't really see the logic with Archer other than Haley is obsessed with this little fast guys.

IF Grant and Chickillo make it to the PS, then this is all an academic argument and the FO comes out looking acceptable at worst. If these two players are snatched up, well then things get dicey.

TeeTee
09-06-2015, 02:18 PM
with Doran Grant being waived that means we once again receive no help in the secondary from the draft...:frusty:

That is just horrible news. 3 draft picks and zero upgrade to the backfield. This sucks.

ALLD
09-06-2015, 02:47 PM
That is just horrible news. 3 draft picks and zero upgrade to the backfield. This sucks.

"It’s part of the game and we don’t overanalyze it"

"I thought his arrow was pointing up."

"Anyone in a helmet is a playmaker for us."

"I don't care about the style points"

"We have to quit kickin our own butts."

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Colbert is losing it.

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

If Steelers aren't going to build from free agency, and they're unable to build from the draft, then where exactly does talent come from?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

steelreserve
09-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Grant and Chickillo? WTF? Cam Thomas, Landry Jones, and Dri Archer are still on the active roster. There's no excuse for that.

So what if these guys clear waivers and make it to the practice squad? If that was our plan, then it's a stupid plan. Being on the practice squad is no more guarantee they'll stay with the Steelers than being an unrestricted free agent on the open market. They're only safe there for as long as everyone else decides not to meddle. I have zero confidence that the two players they brought in are any more necessary, and certainly not that they're any better.

86WARD
09-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Because outside of WR, this team is showing it has no idea how to evaluate talent...and even the WR is now becoming questionable...character-wise...Holmes, Wallace, Bryant...lol.

stillers4me
09-06-2015, 03:42 PM

- - - Updated - - -

86WARD
09-06-2015, 03:42 PM

If Steelers aren't going to build from free agency, and they're unable to build from the draft, then where exactly does talent come from?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

It's the Steelers...they find a way to win...*rolling eyes* are there any fans out there, maybe next to the Vick protestors and the Landry Jones protestors that might be carrying torches for Tomlin and Colbert? I think that's the "club" I want to join...

86WARD
09-06-2015, 03:43 PM
"It’s part of the game and we don’t overanalyze it"

"I thought his arrow was pointing up."

"Anyone in a helmet is a playmaker for us."

"I don't care about the style points"

"We have to quit kickin our own butts."

Ugh...resurrect that Fire Tomlin thread!

86WARD
09-06-2015, 03:46 PM
They just signed Legursky back after cutting him yesterday. He'll take Pouncey's spot on the roster.

86WARD
09-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Grant is the first fourth-round pick to be axed before the season began since Ryan McBean back in 2007.

ALLD
09-06-2015, 03:52 PM
The midget from the 2nd round is on IR and if he is anything like other draft picks he will not last past next season.

st33lersguy
09-06-2015, 05:41 PM
So they cut 2 draft picks but keep Can't Thomas????? Are you kidding me? Why didn't they sign another QB and boot Landry Jones? Too often this team makes baffling roster moves

st33lersguy
09-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Seriously, why is Cam Thomas still on the team?

Mojouw
09-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Seriously, why is Cam Thomas still on the team?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/cam-thomas-value-rises-with-clifton-geathers-on-injured-reserve/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/cam-thomas-more-comfortable-in-new-year-new-scheme/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-vs-vikings-film-room-cam-thomas/

Bottom Line - Cam Thomas of 2015 appears to be a much improved player compared to Cam Thomas 0f 2014. This roster move should not have surprised anyone.

B&GFever
09-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Breaking news :

taken outside steelers headquarters , reports are it has spread into the front office

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/8tUkmkdlQJ6s5CB9pnKM9w--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NjAwO3E9OTU7dz02MDA-/http://www.ledgertranscript.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=wTlhF EPBfXAMPjSCgZPNP8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtPzS_iXr5D$C3 saxhW_4xiWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

st33lersguy
09-06-2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/cam-thomas-value-rises-with-clifton-geathers-on-injured-reserve/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/cam-thomas-more-comfortable-in-new-year-new-scheme/

Bottom Line - Cam Thomas of 2015 appears to be a much improved player compared to Cam Thomas 0f 2014. This roster move should not have surprised anyone.

I believe I read somewhere that he tries harder when he feels he could be cut then his effort drops off when his job is secure

Bluecoat96
09-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Good lord people. Give it a rest. Are there some concerns? Of course. Dumpster fire? Overreact much??

Bluecoat96
09-06-2015, 07:49 PM

Thank you for being a voice of reason in all this madness.

86WARD
09-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Hopefully Anyone with the last name Archer, Jones or Thomas are in that dumpster...lol.

Cyphon25
09-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I am with Mojo. Cam Thomas has looked much better this preseason. I understand the hate based on his play last year but can we please give him a break and focus are hatred more intently on Archer and Jones :grin:

Count Steeler
09-06-2015, 09:29 PM
I am with Mojo. Cam Thomas has looked much better this preseason. I understand the hate based on his play last year but can we please give him a break and focus are hatred more intently on Archer and Jones :grin:

I think the other Thomas has entered the discussion.

B&GFever
09-06-2015, 09:34 PM
some commenting that dumpster fire is extreme because we have not played a meaningful game yet ..

fine I get it , however keep this in mind .

we are changing defensive philosophies into more of a cover 2 and Tampa 2 looks .

changing to more 4-3 sets ...

what did we do to foster those areas ?

lets see we took a perfectly decent 4-3 end ( which we need for these changes ) in Chickillo and turned him into a Linebacker then cut him .

we did not draft a S when we probably should have based upon the scheme we where about to undertake being highly dependent on them being of specific skill sets

we did not bring in any Safeties at cut time knowing we did not have the answer on the current roster .

what do you need for a cover 2 or Tampa 2 scheme to work effectively

1) consistent pass rush ( we seemingly lack that )

2) Safeties that can run , hit and diagnose ( we do not have that )

3) a fast Linebacker who can cover ( we MIGHT have that ) we have Shazier and to a lessor degree Timmons but Shazier has limited experience in coverage and lets face it Timmons is getting a little long in the tooth to ask that of him all game long . at one time we may have considered Spence but at this point I do not think he is capable a little slower since injury and takes a lot of bad angles from what I witnessed in preseason play

that is why I do not think Dumpster fire is by any means extreme , you may still disagree but I will not be shocked if N.E. hangs 50 on this defense

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 09:48 PM
we did not draft a S when we probably should have based upon the scheme we where about to undertake being highly dependent on them being of specific skill sets

I was very surprised (and disappointed) when we waited until the 7th round in this past draft to select a safety. Troy retired, Will Allen isn't getting any younger, Mike Mitchell sucked last year and both Shamarko and Robert Golden were unproven.

we need to prioritize the safety position in next year's draft or in free agency...

Mojouw
09-06-2015, 10:00 PM
some commenting that dumpster fire is extreme because we have not played a meaningful game yet ..

fine I get it , however keep this in mind .

we are changing defensive philosophies into more of a cover 2 and Tampa 2 looks .

changing to more 4-3 sets ...

what did we do to foster those areas ?

lets see we took a perfectly decent 4-3 end ( which we need for these changes ) in Chickillo and turned him into a Linebacker then cut him .

we did not bring in any Safeties at cut time knowing we did not have the answer on the current roster .

what do you need for a cover 2 or Tampa 2 scheme to work effectively

1) consistent pass rush ( we seemingly lack that )

2) Safeties that can run , hit and diagnose ( we do not have that )

3) a fast Linebacker who can cover ( we MIGHT have that ) we have Shazier and to a lessor degree Timmons but Shazier has limited experience in coverage and lets face it Timmons is getting a little long in the tooth to ask that of him all game long . at one time we may have considered Spence but at this point I do not think he is capable a little slower since injury and takes a lot of bad angles from what I witnessed in preseason play

that is why I do not think Dumpster fire is by any means extreme , you may still disagree but I will not be shocked if N.E. hangs 50 on this defense

All of that is based on the assumption that there is a foundational philosophical shift to 4-3 and/or Tampa 2 concepts. Nothing that the team, coaching staff, players, or even the preseason games themselves has indicated that is the case.

This is still a 3-4 team. It is going to play zone. It is going to blitz. It is going to put those things together. It will play Cover 2, Cover 3, and Cover 0 behind their front 7 based on game situation. Like almost every other team in the league. They played so much Cover 2 in the preseason because it was an important concept to review and drill on w/ the transition into the post Troy Polamalu. Polamalu was almost the entire reason for the preference of the Cover 3 shell.

As to the draft and roster construction - well you can focus on the lack of safeties taken in the draft. Or you can look at what was taken in the draft. About the most prototypical 3-4 rush LB'er you will ever see. Seriously, if you built Dupree in a lab, he wouldn't look any different. You don't take Dupree in the first round and have any intention of playing a primarily 4-3.

zulater
09-06-2015, 10:33 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-release-of-doran-grant-has-troubling-layers/ This wont make anyone feel any better.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Doran Grant in the fourth round just 129 days ago, you would think that the team had a compelling reason to believe that the Ohio State stud could become at least a top four corner in Pittsburgh in a few years. You would think that general manager Kevin Colbert had identified Grant amongst a host of talented cornerbacks available at pick #121, and seen the well-rounded skill set that had most draft pundits placing a mid-round grade on the defender. And, as a fan of a team that has built their franchise on consistency and enduring faith in their players, you likely assumed that the team would work diligently to develop Grant’s skill set until they were sure they had a complete picture of who he was as a player.

You wouldn’t think that after five preseason games, only four of which Grant played defense in, that the franchise would simply dismiss him, giving the other 31 teams a shot at the highest 2015 draft pick available on the waiver wire. You would think that they could see the bigger picture, the one that shows William Gay, Brandon Boykin, and Antwon Blake all on the market as unrestricted free agents next offseason. You’d hope that they would have recalled the agony of watching Cortez Allen burned time and time again in coverage last season, until he was finally benched despite a healthy contract extension. Surely they’d realize that with second round pick Senquez Golson set to miss the entire season after surgery to repair a torn labrum, that not only will their other rookie cornerback be behind a full year in his NFL development, but there is no guarantee that the Ole Miss product will even be the same player when he returns from injury.

Unfortunately the Steelers front office and coaching staff failed to put these pieces together, instead opting to risk Grant to the waiver wire around noon today. What did the Ohio State cornerback do to deserve such treatment? Nothing, as Grant actually played well in preseason action and looked good in camp. Ask Alex Kozora if you don’t believe me. Watching Grant during every practice, I was impressed at how savvy his route recognition skills were for such a young player, as well as flashing ball skills from time-to-time. The team never seemed interested however, barely playing him until the final game against Carolina. Grant finished the preseason with 103 snaps in all, apparently enough reps to convince the team that everything that led the front office to select the cornerback with a fourth round pick was a misconception, and that Grant wasn’t worth even a shot at developing.

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Steelers Release of Doran Grant Has Troubling Layers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-release-of-doran-grant-has-troubling-layers/

B&GFever
09-06-2015, 11:52 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-release-of-doran-grant-has-troubling-layers/ This wont make anyone feel any better.

if that does not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling ... oh wait !

where is the dumpster fire pic again ..

this current mix of coaches and GM are simply clueless when it comes to the secondary ...

will someone PLEASE get Rod Woodson on the staff to set these guys straight ?

and for the love of God some scouts that understand how to identify good Corners

86WARD
09-07-2015, 04:59 AM

salamander
09-07-2015, 06:06 AM

Steelers Release of Doran Grant Has Troubling Layers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-release-of-doran-grant-has-troubling-layers/

For whatever reason, the Steelers are so goddamn stubborn and refuse to admit mistakes. They apparently can't scout certain positions worth a damn and instead stick with players who EVERYONE else can clearly see have no business being on an NFL roster. Listen, I don't like to doubt what this team does, but how in blue hell can they justify these idiotic moves?

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Does anyone recall a player that the Steelers drafted and cut that wound up being successful with another team? Besides Mike Vrabel?

Most teams have issues with the draft but the Steelers just can't get it right when it comes to filling a need in the DB. I'm sure part has to do with the success and draft position but the only way we would really know is to see a draft board where they ranked each player and then compare to "reality" and that would never happen. All I know is that they aren't building through free agency and they aren't building through the draft...so where are they expecting to get the players to develop? There's a lot of holes on the team and even more issues with depth...

All this and they haven't played Week One yet...lol.

katmandu
09-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Jacob Klinger ‏@Jacob_Klinger_ (https://twitter.com/Jacob_Klinger_) 11m (https://twitter.com/Jacob_Klinger_/status/640892048250417152)11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Jacob_Klinger_/status/640892048250417152)
#Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) release TE Harold Spears, WR Jarrod West, RB Dominique Brown and OT Antonio Johnson, a day after signing them to P-squad @pasports (https://twitter.com/pasports)

katmandu
09-07-2015, 09:45 AM
....the only way we would really know is to see a draft board where they ranked each player and then compare to "reality"...Sounds like a great project for you ! :yup:

stillers4me
09-07-2015, 10:23 AM
How many of you would be willing to see the Steelers be in last place in the division and have a draft pick in the top 10 in order to be able to draft better quality players next year. It seem we always get by, win the division and have to get by with mid round drafts picks and the players we really need are off the board when we get to pick.

Raise your hands.

zulater
09-07-2015, 10:32 AM
How many of you would be willing to see the Steelers be in last place in the division and have a draft pick in the top 10 in order to be able to draft better quality players next year. It seem we always get by, win the division and have to get by with mid round drafts picks and the players we really need are off the board when we get to pick.

Raise your hands.

Why would that be necessary? We traded up to great results to get Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes. Identify a genuine stud corner and trade up for him if that's what it takes. Yeah I know draft nics always claim trade up's always make you worse off. These people still claim the trade up for Troy was misguided. :doh: But I don't care. We need difference makers in the defensive backfield. Find them whatever round they're in and figure out a way to get them.

B&GFever
09-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Raise your hands.

its not where you draft as much as it is how you apply your selections ..

when you have 0 players on roster from 2008 and 2009 combined on your team and just 2 from 2010 you have lost a good portion of your foundation

3 from 2011 , 3 from 2012

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Raise your hands.

Not me. First of all, Ben only has about 5 years left and I'm not willing to sacrifice one of those years, especially when we've got one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Second, I don't trust the front office to make the correct pick, even if it's a top 10. They've shown too much ineptitude over the last few years for me to have any confidence in them.

stillers4me
09-07-2015, 11:02 AM

tube517
09-07-2015, 11:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=582un3oOUbk

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 11:31 AM

I actually like this signing. Jones has been hurt a lot since the Rams signed him. I was surprised when they cut him. If he can get (and stay) healthy, he might be a good player.

CaSteel
09-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Colbert and Tomlin have managed to put this team in a bad position though years of bad decisions.When the Rooneys decide enough is enough with these two then the Steelers can move forward, the problem is by that time Ben will have retired and he is the offensive anchor of this team

B&GFever
09-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Does anyone recall a player that the Steelers drafted and cut that wound up being successful with another team? Besides Mike Vrabel?

Most teams have issues with the draft but the Steelers just can't get it right when it comes to filling a need in the DB. I'm sure part has to do with the success and draft position but the only way we would really know is to see a draft board where they ranked each player and then compare to "reality" and that would never happen. All I know is that they aren't building through free agency and they aren't building through the draft...so where are they expecting to get the players to develop? There's a lot of holes on the team and even more issues with depth...

All this and they haven't played Week One yet...lol.

several , none with great success but many carved out a living other than Vrabel and to a lessor degree Urbik ..

but to me that is not an answer it just poses another series of questions

Steeldude
09-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Just added Barrett Jones. I like this addition. Long arms and can play all positions across the O-line.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195

tube517
09-07-2015, 01:49 PM

Thanks for posting. I feel sick now.

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Just added Barrett Jones. I like this addition. Long arms and can play all positions across the O-line.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195

As I said in the other thread, the only issue with Jones is that he's been injured a lot since the Rams drafted him.

I like the signing also. Just hope that he can stay healthy.

steelreserve
09-07-2015, 02:35 PM

There was this one guy named James Harrison who turned out to have a pretty good career after we cut him. Of course, we were lucky enough that Baltimore cut him after that.

Anyway, the point is, the front office are not perfect visionaries. And even if they had been in the past, that has no bearing on whether or not their next move is a mistake - no more than whether the last roll of the dice being a 6 affects what number will come up next.

To me, it looks like they blew it on this one. It's the first time in several seasons where I've had more than a passing ho-hum shrug of the shoulders about any rookies they cut.

And the measure of success is not whether Grant and Chickillo go on to become great NFL players; it's whether they could do any more good than the players we kept instead of them. Since what we get out of Jones and Archer is a big fat ZERO, the bar is not high. And by all accounts, these two did everything to indicate that there was reason to be optimistic. Especially when we're about to have even more turnover at OLB and CB next offseason, this was a dumb move.

stillers4me
09-07-2015, 02:44 PM
(https://twitter.com/SteelersPRBurt/status/640889398293319680)
Steelers add four, remove four from practice squad
Pittsburgh signed (https://twitter.com/SteelersPRBurt/status/640889398293319680) tight end Xavier Grimble, offensive linemen Matt Feiler, running back Fitzgerald Toussiant and wide receiver Isaiah Burse (pictured) to the practice squad. Subsequently, Pittsburgh released four practice squad players in tight end Harold Spears, offensive linemen Antonio Johnson, running back Dominique Brown, and wide receiver Jerrod West.

These new signees join wide receiver Shakim Phillips (http://247sports.com/Player/Shakim-Phillips-3756), defensive back Jordan Dangerfield, offensive linemen Reese Dismukes, linebackers L.J. Fort and Shayon Green, and defensive end Ethan Hemer to make up Pittsburgh's current practice squad.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-add-four-remove-four-from-practice-squad-39237789

vasteeler
09-07-2015, 02:55 PM
im just going to have to assume that they know what they are doing

HollywoodSteel
09-07-2015, 02:59 PM
What I don't get is why Grant and Chickillo haven't been put on our practice squad. Did they not clear waivers yet? Maybe the Steelers are confident enough that these two are not impressive enough to be snatched by any other team right now and as players are being cut by others, it's more important to snatch their players when we have a chance in waivers. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on our PS eventually.

I don't think Grant or Chickillo will be signed to any team's 53 man roster, so all we have to worry about is that some team puts them on a practice squad before we do. But if we ever actually need them on our 53, we can snatch them from another PS.

Maybe there are some little injuries we don't know about that we don't know about, thus they would do us no good on the PS for a few weeks.

I'm not trying to excuse bad drafting (if that's the case) or mismanagement (if that's the case) but I have to assume that the Steelers had some meeting where all of this was discussed. I really do not understand we we keep a spot for Landry Jones on the 53. Are they scared that someone else will take him and then we'll need him? I don't think that scenario is even worth planning for if the season goes that way.

HollywoodSteel
09-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Or maybe Landry Jones knows too much about our strategy to let him go somewhere else. If so, there are other options then the traditional form of "letting him go." Accidents happen, after all. ;)

stillers4me
09-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Our long national nightmare is over.

Grant too.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/doran-grant-anthony-chickillo-clear-waivers/

hawaiiansteeler
09-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Doran Grant and Anthony Chickillo clear waivers. Breathe easy, Steelers' nation. #Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/doran-grant-anthony-chickillo-clear-waivers/

Psycho Ward 86
09-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Doran Grant and Anthony Chickillo clear waivers. Breathe easy, Steelers' nation. #Steelers

*one month later*

The Cardinals have signed Anthony Chickillo and Dorant Grant to the active roster

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 03:59 PM

That doesn't mean anything yet. They still need to be signed to the practice squad and even that doesn't keep them from getting poached by another team.

ALLD
09-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Could have been done deals to bring them back after clearing waivers, especially with Chickillo. However, why take the chance and why load up the PS knowing you need to make space anyway? Bizarre moves.

fansince'76
09-07-2015, 04:01 PM

For now. I'm going to be pissed if he winds up in Pittsburgh West later this season while that waste of space Archer is on the roster, continues to contribute nothing and the offense continues to waste plays because Haley is obsessed with trying to "feed him the ball in space."

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2015, 04:03 PM
For now. I'm going to be pissed if he winds up in Pittsburgh West later this season while that waste of space Archer is on the roster, continues to contribute nothing and the offense continues to waste plays because Haley is obsessed with trying to "feed him the ball in space."

Yep, especially with the signing of Todman. There's no reason for Archer to be taking up a roster spot.

tube517
09-07-2015, 04:13 PM

Steelers PS player? Where? Where? Said this guy:

http://onlineathens.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full/12368236.jpg

ETL
09-07-2015, 06:36 PM

I think vrabel left via free agency and was not cut.

Ryan McBean and Joe Burnett come to mind recently.

Brent Jones TE and Dwaine Board DT drafted by the Steelers went to have great careers with the 49ers. Hardy Nickerson was like Vrabel and went on to have a stellar career somewhere else as did Plexico Burress - but these guys left via free agency.

But probably the most famous Steelers cuts are: Mike Mayock of NFL TV fame and Ed O'Neil of Married with Children and Modern Family fame.

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:21 PM
its not where you draft as much as it is how you apply your selections ..

when you have 0 players on roster from 2008 and 2009 combined on your team and just 2 from 2010 you have lost a good portion of your foundation

3 from 2011 , 3 from 2012

THIS. THIS. THIS!!

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:24 PM

Brent Jones TE and Dwaine Board DT drafted by the Steelers went to have great careers with the 49ers. Hardy Nickerson was like Vrabel and went on to have a stellar career somewhere else as did Plexico Burress - but these guys left via free agency.

But probably the most famous Steelers cuts are: Mike Mayock of NFL TV fame and Ed O'Neil of Married with Children and Modern Family fame.

Actually, I think you're right about Vrabel...

B&GFever
09-07-2015, 07:27 PM

well except they don't do that ..

they normally feed it to him 1 yard from the LOS and tell him to run DUE NORTH ( in other words right up the gut ) perhaps if they actually got him the ball in space results would be much different ..

damned hard to beat a guy to a spot that he is already standing in and basically that is what they are asking him to do ... the impossible

tube517
09-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Most famous cut is probably Johnny Yoo.

B&GFever
09-07-2015, 07:33 PM

lets not forget Johnny Unitas ( a 9th round pick of the Steelers ) then he played with the semi pro Bloomfield Rams and then on to the Colts in 1956 the rest is NFL History