PDA

View Full Version : Steelers remain confident in defense

hawaiiansteeler
09-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Steelers remain confident in defense

By Ralph N. Paulk
Friday, Sept. 4, 2015

The Steelers' perceived defensive strength is inside linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier. They are the pulse of a unit that will enter the regular season at New England amid uncertainty.

The Steelers like what they saw from Shazier during the preseason. He played an inordinate number of downs for a starter, but it was enough to chip off the rust after a rookie campaign punctuated by injuries.

Defensive coordinator Keith Butler is confident Timmons' injured toe won't keep him from getting after quarterback Tom Brady during next Thursday's highly-antipcipated game.

With Timmons and Shazier watching from the sideline on Thursday night at Heinz Field, their backups — Sean Spence and Vince Williams — didn't leave Butler feeling confident about how they'll perform if forced into extended duty against the defending Super Bowl champions.

“For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence, who had five tackles. “(On Thursday), we missed a couple of tackles. But the experience and having a chance to see different formations will always help in my development.”

Spence and Williams were inconsistent against the Carolina Panthers' second-team offense in a 23-6 loss that left the Steelers with a 1-4 preseason record. At times, they were out of position to defend the run and sometimes were shoved aside as Carolina created running seams.

It was reminiscent of how the first-team defense performed in a 43-19 loss to Buffalo a game earlier.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9035002-74/spence-defense-williams#ixzz3kt7o8leZ

fansince'76
09-05-2015, 01:03 PM
http://images.rapgenius.com/7371d812ad7a9e33071469703fbf5673.420x294x1.png

Count Steeler
09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Let's reassess when they actually play a game. Am I hopeful, yes. Am I optimistic? Not right now.

I really expect that we won't see much to like until about the 4th or 5th game. Not because of the suspensions, but because the defense has not played together for an extended period of time. Real head scratcher.

hawaiiansteeler
09-05-2015, 01:08 PM
the quote below is what bothered me, are they all in denial? :noidea:

“For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence.

Count Steeler
09-05-2015, 01:11 PM

If true, we are in for a world of hurt this season. What a shame too. Ben is at the peak of his career and the D is at it's valley.

fansince'76
09-05-2015, 01:12 PM

From the context of the article, I think Spence meant his and Vince Williams' play? :noidea:

With Timmons and Shazier watching from the sideline on Thursday night at Heinz Field, their backups — Sean Spence and Vince Williams — didn't leave Butler feeling confident about how they'll perform if forced into extended duty against the defending Super Bowl champions.

“For the most part, I thought we played well in the preseason,” said Spence, who had five tackles. “(On Thursday), we missed a couple of tackles. But the experience and having a chance to see different formations will always help in my development.”

polamalubeast
09-05-2015, 01:16 PM
If the defense is bad as preseason,this defense will be historically bad(480 points or more)...This is certain that the defense is not good, but I do not think this defense is historically bad.

Of course, this defense can be the worst in steelers history(421 points is the record).

stillers4me
09-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Defensive coordinator Keith Butler is confident Timmons' injured toe won't keep him from getting after quarterback Tom Brady during next Thursday's highly-antipcipated game.

So in reality, we are only one injured toe away from disaster.

polamalubeast
09-05-2015, 01:19 PM
But if the defense is historically bad, Tomlin, Butler and Colbert will deserve to be fired.....

hawaiiansteeler
09-05-2015, 01:48 PM
“Obviously, they’re the reigning champs and they have players who are All-Pro, but we have those, too — on defense and offense,” Heyward said. “For anybody who thinks it’s going to be 55-45, you’re mistaken. It’s going to be a very close game, and I don’t think it’s going to reach that.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/05/Steelers-already-excited-about-bucking-big-odds-and-facing-Patriots-and-Brady-Thursday-night/stories/201509050051

Edman
09-05-2015, 01:52 PM
If the Defense is "historically" bad, then Butler should be shown the door instantly.

Mojouw
09-05-2015, 05:12 PM

It seems this preseason was about process and scheme installation rather than scoreboard results. Ignore the scoreboard, take back a few big plays, and ignore the crap by 3rd and 4th stringers and SOME of Spence's statement rings true.

Man, that is a whole lot of "if" no matter how I slice it.

Like others have said, I remain optimistic that this defense can be much better than everyone seems to think, but am not counting on it.

86WARD
09-05-2015, 06:20 PM
If the defense is bad as preseason,this defense will be historically bad(480 points or more)...This is certain that the defense is not good, but I do not think this defense is historically bad.

Of course, this defense can be the worst in steelers history(421 points is the record).

I think they'll easily give up the most points in team history. I can't remember them being so bad in the preseason...hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

ALLD
09-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Sounds like karaoke night when a bunch of drunk chicks think they can sing, but it sounds like a cat fight.

Cyphon25
09-05-2015, 07:23 PM
I say we throw tradition out the window. Our LB corps should be Harrison, Shazier, Timmons, Williams.

I like Moats but Williams brings the pain.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Man i have to have faith .If the people runnin our front office are like that . Ain't no reason to even have a tail left to tuck between your leg .

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I say the d comes out strong and as yet unidentified. That is their strong suit. No one knows who is going to play the roll of kick your ass . You guys are so smart you tell me who will kick your ass on this d-fense?

Cyphon25
09-05-2015, 07:57 PM
I say the d comes out strong and as yet unidentified. That is their strong suit. No one knows who is going to play the roll of kick your ass . You guys are so smart you tell me who will kick your ass on this d-fense?

Outside of James Harrison the ass kicker is Vince Williams and unfortunately I don't think he will see the field enough to set the tone like that.

86WARD
09-05-2015, 08:01 PM

From what I saw in Preseason it's going to be Harrison and Shazier.

teegre
09-05-2015, 08:39 PM
The defense will go as Shazier & Tuitt go.

If they play up to their potential, this defense will be "good enough."

TD's & Beer
09-06-2015, 12:27 AM
The problem with our supposed stockpiling strength at ILB against the run (which they haven't exactly shown they can stop either) is we still need a pass rush from the outside or our weak CB's will always be exposed against the pass no matter what "scheme" is dreamed up.

If I can see this, why can't they?

Steeldude
09-06-2015, 02:07 AM
I am curious on how well Heyward is in his gap assignments.

TD's & Beer
09-06-2015, 07:48 AM
The defense will go as Shazier & Tuitt go.

If they play up to their potential, this defense will be "good enough."

It's a passing league now. The defense will go if they get a pass rush and find somebody that can cover the deep ball.

I'm not holding my breath

ALLD
09-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Pats historically beat a zone defense. The Pats will come out throwing and taking big chances because the Steelers don't have anybody to rush the passer or intercept. I expect the game to be over by the first half.

teegre
09-06-2015, 09:02 AM
It's a passing league now. The defense will go if they get a pass rush and find somebody that can cover the deep ball.

Indeed.

The NFL is as simple as this:
1. Get a passer. (QB)
2. Protect the passer. (LT)
3. Harass the passer. (OLB/DE)

Teams with those three go far. Alas, the Steelers can't seem to find any OLBs. A decade ago, only one team ran the 3-4 consistently; thus, guys like Joey Porter would be available in R3. Currently, half of the league uses a base 3-4; in turn, Porter would have been a top 20 pick in the past draft.

Anyway, the Steelers do NOT have a good pass-rusher. The three most talented players on defense are: Shazier, Tuitt, & Heyward. Ergo, this defense will only be as good as those three are. If they have a good season, the defense will be "good enough"... but, Yes, without a pass-rusher, this defense will never be "good."

TD's & Beer
09-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Pats historically beat a zone defense.

Historically we've stopped the run first to force the pass so our OLB's could feast. That doesn't apply now. Teams will come out passing.

Brady can pick apart a 10 yd cushion...after the 1st time we get burned deep over the middle that's what we'll be playing, you watch.

tube517
09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
From the context of the article, I think Spence meant his and Vince Williams' play? :noidea:

:nono: Either way, Spence is running his mouth again. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
09-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Steelers DBs drafted Day 3 since '12

Doran Grant
Shaquille Richardson
Terry Hawthorne
Terence Frederick
Gerod Holliman

None made the team

Steelers claimed they added 29 INTs after draft. None of those players will be on the team this year.

Like I said a couple days ago. Steelers are awesome at evaluating WRs. But equally bad at evaluating the guys covering them.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

TeeTee
09-06-2015, 01:34 PM
:nono: Either way, Spence is running his mouth again. :chuckle:

Mark my words, the Steelers running their mouth is going to bite them in the ass once the season starts. Mark my words.

polamalubeast
09-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Mark my words, the Steelers running their mouth is going to bite them in the ass once the season starts. Mark my words.

It's ridiculous.....The steelers are not running their mouth!!!!....You're too sensitive

If you want to know what this is running their mouth, just to watch the 2010 jets before their playoffs game against the pats!

fansince'76
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Anyway, the Steelers do NOT have a good pass-rusher. The three most talented players on defense are: Shazier, Tuitt, & Heyward. Ergo, this defense will only be as good as those three are. If they have a good season, the defense will be "good enough"... but, Yes, without a pass-rusher, this defense will never be "good."

Harrison can still get after it in spurts, but we do need new blood that can consistently get pressure.

tube517
09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Lighten up Francis.

We all have concerns about the defense. I was being sarcastic, which I am most of the time. And Spence wasn't running his mouth. See FS76s post about the statement.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

fansince'76
09-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Lighten up Francis.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ibTw4kSpL.jpg

:chuckle:

Mojouw
09-06-2015, 02:24 PM

How? Is the other team going to fight them after school? In thread after thread you post a statement - often interesting and sometimes in conflict with majority opinion. That's fine. But you repeatedly fail to explain what you're getting at.

So, let's assume that Spence and others are shooting their mouth off (for the record a position I totally disagree with) loudly and frequently. What happens next? If the Steelers lose are we simply going to chalk it up to "overconfidence" and "Tomlin isn't mean enough" and the other usual pop-psychology that appears around here whenever the Steelers don't win 67-0. If so we can add "running their mouth" to that pile of meaningless crap. Or is there some tangible actual outcome you are anticipating?

Saying that it is "going to bite them in the ass" is so vague that it could mean everything. It is a self-fulfilling prediction.

TeeTee
09-07-2015, 07:49 PM
How? Is the other team going to fight them after school? In thread after thread you post a statement - often interesting and sometimes in conflict with majority opinion. That's fine. But you repeatedly fail to explain what you're getting at.

So, let's assume that Spence and others are shooting their mouth off (for the record a position I totally disagree with) loudly and frequently. What happens next? If the Steelers lose are we simply going to chalk it up to "overconfidence" and "Tomlin isn't mean enough" and the other usual pop-psychology that appears around here whenever the Steelers don't win 67-0. If so we can add "running their mouth" to that pile of meaningless crap. Or is there some tangible actual outcome you are anticipating?

Saying that it is "going to bite them in the ass" is so vague that it could mean everything. It is a self-fulfilling prediction.

Oh, you want an example? How about when Anthony Smith ran his mouth about Brady a few years ago? How did that turn out for him? Is that specific enough for you? Bottom line, this Tomlin-coached team flaps their gums too much. They think the "hey everything is cool, we will have best ever _____" mode isn't wise. Belichick would never allow his team to talk like this.

Butch
09-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Oh, you want an example? How about when Anthony Smith ran his mouth about Brady a few years ago? How did that turn out for him? Is that specific enough for you? Bottom line, this Tomlin-coached team flaps their gums too much. They think the "hey everything is cool, we will have best ever _____" mode isn't wise. Belichick would never allow his team to talk like this.

How bout when Joey would run his mouth? I remember him running his mouth before we played the colts in the playoffs after they decimated us earlier in the season. How did that game turn out??? He did the same thing against the seahags in the Superbowl.

I remember Joe Namath once ran his mouth before a game too.

While I don't consider any of this running their mouths, just wanted to point out a few times when someone ran their mouths and nothing terrible happened.

86WARD
09-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Joey was one of the greatest at running his mouth and then going out and backing it up 100%!

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 08:38 PM
This might help

Patriots center Bryan Stork in concussion protocol

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that he is mired in the league's concussion protocol, according to a source informed of the blocker's condition.

The Patriots have yet to issue an injury report, but Stork has been absent from the start of New England's last two practices, per ESPN.com's Mike Reiss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523628/article/patriots-center-bryan-stork-in-concussion-protocol

hawaiiansteeler
09-07-2015, 08:50 PM
This might help

Patriots center Bryan Stork in concussion protocol

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that he is mired in the league's concussion protocol, according to a source informed of the blocker's condition.

The Patriots have yet to issue an injury report, but Stork has been absent from the start of New England's last two practices, per ESPN.com's Mike Reiss.

this might help also:

"The Patriots will play without wide receiver Brandon LaFell on Thursday, which gives the Steelers fewer options to concentrate on defensively."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/07/steelers-think-they-know-how-to-slow-rob-gronkowski-down/

TD's & Beer
09-07-2015, 08:57 PM
yeah - he has a foot

Patriots wideout Brandon LaFell headed to PUP list

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523227/article/patriots-wideout-brandon-lafell-headed-to-pup-list

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 09:05 PM

So once. You have one example. And it wouldn't have mattered whether Smith ran his mouth or not. He was the weak link in that secondary and the Pats wisely exploited it. I'm sure Brady had a smile on his face while he did it, but it was going to happen no matter what because Anthony Smith was not good at football.

Just like how Gronk went nutso a few years ago against the Steelers until they switched who was covering him.

teegre
09-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Belichick would never allow his team to talk like this.

True. His players don't talk trash; they murder people.

Anthony Smith > Aaron Hernandez

TeeTee
09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
How bout when Joey would run his mouth? I remember him running his mouth before we played the colts in the playoffs after they decimated us earlier in the season. How did that game turn out??? He did the same thing against the seahags in the Superbowl.

I remember Joe Namath once ran his mouth before a game too.

While I don't consider any of this running their mouths, just wanted to point out a few times when someone ran their mouths and nothing terrible happened.

You always have exceptions to every rule. All I know is the Pats refuse to run their mouths and all that has done for them is making it to 6 Super Bowls since Belichick has been there.

Butch
09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
You always have exceptions to every rule. All I know is the Pats refuse to run their mouths and all that has done for them is making it to 6 Super Bowls since Belichick has been there.

Hmmm remember the time the gmen told the press how many points shady and the pats would score and he laughed??? Funny but the gmen were right.

No the pats don't talk. They cheat a lot since beli has been there, but that doesn't really have any bearing on them winning.

Remember Hines Ward saying they were calling out our plays before we ran them in the 2004 AFCC game.

Craic
09-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Nope. Didn't happen, despite what the media tried to make it out to be. Here's what was really said (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-YK5DHhvY). It's what every coach and player in the NFL says about their team. Oh, and about Belicheat not letting his team talk like "that" . . . Check out this swarmy response (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw_YLGmvKw) to Plaxico's prediction.

smokin3000gt
09-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Hmmm remember the time the gmen told the press how many points shady and the pats would score and he laughed??? Funny but the gmen were right.

No the pats don't talk. They cheat a lot since beli has been there, but that doesn't really have any bearing on them winning.

Remember Hines Ward saying they were calling out our plays before we ran them in the 2004 AFCC game.

Let me blow the dust off this classic. I haven't had the chance to get it out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGdAPjcgaM

Ahh yes. I still love it.

86WARD
09-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Nope. Didn't happen, despite what the media tried to make it out to be. Here's what was really said (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-YK5DHhvY). It's what every coach and player in the NFL says about their team. Oh, and about Belicheat not letting his team talk like "that" . . . Check out this swarmy response (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw_YLGmvKw) to Plaxico's prediction.

Nice finds.

86WARD
09-10-2015, 06:10 AM
Let me blow the dust off this classic. I haven't had the chance to get it out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGdAPjcgaM

Ahh yes. I still love it.

...and again!

fansince'76
09-10-2015, 10:51 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/61557391.jpg

:chuckle:

tube517
09-10-2015, 11:03 AM

:rolleyes:

Marsha** is one of the biggest trash talkers in the NFL.

polamalubeast
09-10-2015, 11:11 AM

In the last 10 years...The steelers won 2 super bowl and lost 1 super bowl.....The patriots won 1 super bowl and lost 2 super bowl......

Mojouw
09-10-2015, 01:05 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/f4/f40fe572370d9728fec91a608039ede442eabd27eaba4a54c8 5f9054b49e4e0b.jpg

TeeTee
09-10-2015, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes:

Marsha** is one of the biggest trash talkers in the NFL.

Only on the field. That is a totally different kettle of fish. They don't run their mouth to the media before a game. Belichick would never allow for it.

- - - Updated - - -

In the last 10 years...The steelers won 2 super bowl and lost 1 super bowl.....The patriots won 1 super bowl and lost 2 super bowl......

Since 2001, the Pats won FOUR Super Bowls and been to SIX. The Steelers won two and have been to 3. So, in other words, the Pats have won twice as many in the modern era.

teegre
09-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Belichick would never allow for it.

Indeed.

Odin Lloyd found out the hard way what happens when Bill Belichick finds out that you've been talking smack.

polamalubeast
09-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Only on the field. That is a totally different kettle of fish. They don't run their mouth to the media before a game. Belichick would never allow for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Since 2001, the Pats won FOUR Super Bowls and been to SIX. The Steelers won two and have been to 3. So, in other words, the Pats have won twice as many in the modern era.

I'm sure you're a pats fan ...

Count Steeler
09-10-2015, 02:18 PM

So, if you refuse to run your mouth, you will go to 6 Super Bowls.

Ladies and gentlemen, the hidden formula for getting to the Super Bowl.

polamalubeast
09-10-2015, 02:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6014092

hawaiiansteeler
09-10-2015, 02:22 PM
So, if you refuse to run your mouth, you will go to 6 Super Bowls.

Ladies and gentlemen, the hidden formula for getting to the Super Bowl.

don't forget, you have to cheat also. that really helps a lot...

http://images.latintimes.com/sites/latintimes.com/files/styles/pulse_embed_breakpoints_theme_lt_tablet_1x/public/2015/01/21/new-england-patriots-deflategate-memes_1.jpg

86WARD
09-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Not true. Brady has done it several times. Then there was the B*tch Mode incident, Wes Welker, Randy Moss...

tube517
09-10-2015, 03:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, ok, so running your mouth on the field is ok. And is the key to getting to 6 Super Bowls. But, that cheating stuff, oh, that had no impact despite the recent article showing the depths of cheating.:jerkit: :poop:

fansince'76
09-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh, ok, so running your mouth on the field is ok. And is the key to getting to 6 Super Bowls. But, that cheating stuff, oh, that had no impact despite the recent article showing the depths of cheating.:jerkit: :poop:

"That's only because the NFL has an agenda against the Pats and is using its mouthpiece ESPN to further it." - said every Patriots fan ever.

Yes, that's right - it's perfectly sane, rational and logical for a multibillion-dollar enterprise to shit all over one of its highest profile and most profitable entities for absolutely no other reason than the pursuit of a childish vendetta. Not to mention its current "top dog" - all at the risk of calling the legitimacy of the entire enterprise itself into question by doing so. Happens every day. :rolleyes:

86WARD
09-10-2015, 04:23 PM

They didn't cheat...just ask them.

Steelerschik
09-10-2015, 04:40 PM

LOL, spot on. I haven't got 1 ounce of respect for that organization or "genius" coach. He is a grade A POS just like the owner just like the QB just like the entire team. He's such a genius that he didn't know the proper placement of cameras. Any coach that can be outcoached by Tom Coughlin twice is no genius. I kinda thought I accidentally signed on to a Pats forum lol. I believe in giving deserving teams their dues, but the Pats/Belicheat ain't one of them.

hawaiiansteeler
09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
They didn't cheat...just ask them.

http://i0.wp.com/www.bostonstitletowntalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/b72kjpriiae3olc.jpg?resize=480%2C480

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Everybody knows that. :willy:

TeeTee
09-11-2015, 05:13 PM
LOL, spot on. I haven't got 1 ounce of respect for that organization or "genius" coach. He is a grade A POS just like the owner just like the QB just like the entire team. He's such a genius that he didn't know the proper placement of cameras. Any coach that can be outcoached by Tom Coughlin twice is no genius. I kinda thought I accidentally signed on to a Pats forum lol. I believe in giving deserving teams their dues, but the Pats/Belicheat ain't one of them.

Not deserving? That is beyond crazy.

hawaiiansteeler
10-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Keith Butler is blitzing over 34% of the time in 2015. That's up from 28% under LeBeau in 2014.

Across 275 snaps, the Steelers have been in nickel 46.9% of the time. In base only 43.3%. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora