PDA

View Full Version : Who must produce to give us a chance this game?

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Belichick is going to blanket AB. He will take a CB and S and give him the ole "under-over" coverage all day. The brilliance of Bell and Bryant make them a scratch for this game, like that's ALL we needed.

Traditionally, Pats shut down our rush. Williams won't have any holes.

Archer is a joke to begin with. He will get 4 touches and do nothing with them.

That leaves us with Wheaton and Miller.

If they don't come up big, we lose by a pretty wide margin.

For a variety of reasons, this team is positioned as shitty as imaginable going into week one. Thanks for the great job in managing the players, Mr. Cool Shades. But at least you are the players' buddy. That's what matters most.

http://old.post-gazette.com/images4/20070723pd_tomlinShades_450.jpg

polamalubeast
09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
The offense scored at least 25 points in the last four games against the Patriots, so I'm not worried ....

The defense is a different story.......

If the steelers want to have a chance in this game,the pass rush need to be great....

steelreserve
09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Anyone on the defense needs to come up big by taking out Giant Superdouche's knee with an illegal hit early in the game. After that, I don't really care whether we win or lose.

fansince'76
09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
AB beats double coverage all the time and they don't exactly have Browner and Revis back there anymore. After all, we did score 31 points against them last time and our offense (especially the OL) wasn't nearly as good then as it is now.

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 03:07 PM
The offense scored at least 25 points in the last four games against the Patriots, so I'm not worried ....

The defense is a different story.......

If the steelers want to have a chance in this game,the pass rush need to be great....

25 points will be no where close to enough points, considering how terrible this D is. We made the Bills below average QBs look like Dan Marino, circa 1984. What's Brady gonna do to us?

Brady's got to be licking his chops thinking about our secondary.

- - - Updated - - -

AB beats double coverage all the time and they don't exactly have Browner and Revis back there anymore. After all, we did score 31 points against them last time and our offense (especially the OL) wasn't nearly as good then as it is now.

Then BB will triple cover him. BB always takes away your biggest weapons. Always.

polamalubeast
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM
25 points will be no where close to enough points, considering how terrible this D is. We made the Bills below average QBs look like Dan Marino, circa 1984. What's Brady gonna do to us?

I never say that the Steelers were going to win against the pats ........

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Then BB will triple cover him. BB always takes away your biggest weapons. Always.

If BB is going to triple cover Him, it will open the running game and Williams was very good in the preseason.The offense is not the problem for this game.....

I just hope the steelers will be 1-1 after 2 games....

fansince'76
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM
OK, what do you want people to say? We have no chance and may as well forfeit? Wasn't your other thread about the betting line on the game an exercise in pretty much the same thing?

polamalubeast
09-04-2015, 03:14 PM
OK, what do you want people to say? We have no chance and may as well forfeit? Wasn't your other thread about the betting line on the game an exercise in pretty much the same thing?

This

We are not stupid ..... We all know that the chances are slim to win against NE without Bryant and Bell ...

No need to make another thread on that

Cyphon25
09-04-2015, 03:34 PM
We need Williams to be able to carry the load IMO. Go old school and control TOP instead of trying to outscore Brady. He can't kill us if we don't let him on the field. Keep the game close and hope we get a big sack fumble or lucky INT from a corner (probably Gay).

hawaiiansteeler
09-04-2015, 03:38 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/nNatiSZDdJBTMqqDeRkfOw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9MjMwO3E9NzU7dz 0zNDU-/https://s.yimg.com/xe/i/us/sp/v/nfl_cutout/players_l/20141101/6770.png

tube517
09-04-2015, 03:41 PM
We need Williams to be able to carry the load IMO. Go old school and control TOP instead of trying to outscore Brady. He can't kill us if we don't let him on the field. Keep the game close and hope we get a big sack fumble or lucky INT from a corner (probably Gay).

We did that in 2011. Arians changed up the offense similar to what it is now.

Of course, Woodley was playing lights out before he ended his career and ate his way off the team.

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I never say that the Steelers were going to win against the pats ........

- - - Updated - - -

If BB is going to triple cover Him, it will open the running game and Williams was very good in the preseason.The offense is not the problem for this game.....

I just hope the steelers will be 1-1 after 2 games....

I was being a little cute with the triple coverage remark. My real point was BB will find away to take him out of the game to a strong degree, one way or another. BB is a master at figuring out ways to stop your bread and butter. If you are going to beat him, it won't be with using your favorite attack mode. Back in the Cowher era, BB made sure to take away our rush, as that is what our bread and butter was, and Cowher didn't know how to counteract that. We should have been throwing on first downs, but BC was too bull headed to realize it. That made me sad.

86WARD
09-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Defense. Special Teams.

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 04:43 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/nNatiSZDdJBTMqqDeRkfOw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9MjMwO3E9NzU7dz 0zNDU-/https://s.yimg.com/xe/i/us/sp/v/nfl_cutout/players_l/20141101/6770.png

I thought Ben needing to play well in order to give us a chance to win was a given.

- - - Updated - - -

Defense. Special Teams.

Two things that are in bad shape.

smokin3000gt
09-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Belichick is going to blanket AB. He will take a CB and S and give him the ole "under-over" coverage all day. The brilliance of Bell and Bryant make them a scratch for this game, like that's ALL we needed.

If they don't come up big, we lose by a pretty wide margin.

For a variety of reasons, this team is positioned as shitty as imaginable going into week one. Thanks for the great job in managing the players, Mr. Cool Shades. But at least you are the players' buddy. That's what matters most.

http://old.post-gazette.com/images4/20070723pd_tomlinShades_450.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hawaiiansteeler
09-04-2015, 05:07 PM
I thought Ben needing to play well in order to give us a chance to win was a given.

without that, nothing else will matter...

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 05:14 PM

THIS thread was specifically on who we need to step up in order to win and YOU changed it to be about how we are going to lose. YOU made it negative, the OP was not.

The OP specified on how we COULD win, with us needing Wheaton and Miller to be productive.

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2015, 05:51 PM
STRONG_SIDE_POINT_OF_VIEW. TEE i'm surprised you didn't pic that up . You will be pickin it up too .Mark my words brotherman you will be picken em up .My Steelers play in a d-fense that has not shown anything to tip the NFL world off .I actually applaud them for giving the choices they made in the draft a chance to show a part of their make-up.Game one is a very crucial point for this new defense to take the field .Will it function as we wish ? Sorry to inform you that i don't know yet.Just the very fact that you know already kinda inflames me .

polamalubeast
09-04-2015, 05:53 PM

This is the best answer,but I hope than the defense will make some stop.....

ALLD
09-04-2015, 06:03 PM
How do the Patriots get to play their suspended players while ares our out?

TeeTee
09-04-2015, 06:05 PM
How do the Patriots get to play their suspended players while ares our out?

Brady ain't suspended, via the feds, but I thought Blount was still out. No?

polamalubeast
09-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Brady ain't suspended, via the feds, but I thought Blount was still out. No?

Blount is out.....

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Bust the big team first off the bat , then we can build on the blocks we have in place . Sounds like a dynasty to me . Football lives matter .

Steeldude
09-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Everyone. But to be a little more precise I would say the D-line and O-line.

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Special teams to me could spark an outcome for this game .

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Die when the sun comes tomorrow for then it will be too late;Love and give and believe in what you cherish. It will come upon you .

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
knowing the patriots, they'll somehow play good defense even though on paper they should have one of the worst 2ndaries in the league.

i still dont think theyll be able to shut down AB. Im absolutely done underestimating the guy. It just isnt going to happen from me anymore. ill still say he has a good game (9 catches 98 yards), but i think itll take a lot of targets to get there.

Any news on Tuitt? I thought he might play in the opener? If so, the D-line could be the X-factor

86WARD
09-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Blount is out.....

Even with Blount there...it would make no difference.

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Even with Blount there...it would make no difference.

yeah. watch jonas gray come out and have another 200 yard game smh

j-d-s
09-05-2015, 12:50 AM
We'll probably need at least 4 turnovers and don't commit any, then we may have chance.

86WARD
09-05-2015, 06:19 AM
yeah. watch jonas gray come out and have another 200 yard game smh

Thinking the same thing. The more I think about this game, the more and more I get a feeling the results will be similar to the Colts Deflategate game...

fansince'76
09-05-2015, 07:01 AM
And if the Steelers "shock the world" and just so happen to win the game, the premature Super Bowl talk will start, guaranteed.

polamalubeast
09-05-2015, 07:03 AM
And if the Steelers "shock the world" and just so happen to win the game, the premature Super Bowl talk will start, guaranteed.

and after the steelers will lose against the 49ers at Home!

fansince'76
09-05-2015, 07:06 AM

If things go like last year, yep. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-05-2015, 07:36 AM

100% this...lol.

stillers4me
09-05-2015, 07:46 AM
I have faith in Ben and the offense...even without Bell and Bryant. We have not yet seen our starting defense play a single snap together yet.

The homer in me has faith that the defense will surprise Brady* and Belichick*. I expect our defense to start the season slow but dramatically improve by midseason. It will have a whole new dynamic compared to our classic style of defense. Superbowl bound, baby! :tt03: :lol:

BigNastyDefense
09-05-2015, 07:54 AM
TeeTee, why don't you just go root for the Patriots?

The Pats defense isn't going to be anywhere near as good as it was last season. AB beats double coverage all the time, and it's not like they have Revis to stick on him. If they do triple cover him, that'll leave holes for our run game and it'll leave a receiver open. The offense isn't what I am worried about.

I am worried about the defense, but not as much as most. If we can generate a pass rush, and I'll take a few roughing the passer calls to make Brady uncomfortable, I'll then be less worried. I think our corners can handle their receivers, I think we will see a better Cortez Allen than we saw last season. Their run game doesn't scare me.

We will see starters on the field. The defensive player that worries me the most is Shamarko Thomas. He can't seem to cover to save his life, nor does he seem to understand coverage responsibilities. If he screws up, pull him and put in Will Allen, who at least understands what the team is trying to do.

steel striker
09-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Ben and the offense that is a given. The d-line must put pressure on Brady and, I still think they have a chance in this game.

Drazo85
09-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Ben and the offense that is a given. The d-line must put pressure on Brady and, I still think they have a chance in this game.
Is Tuit playing week one?

polamalubeast
09-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Is Tuit playing week one?

Yes,I think

TeeTee
09-05-2015, 10:27 AM
TeeTee, why don't you just go root for the Patriots?

Because they are not my team.

The Pats defense isn't going to be anywhere near as good as it was last season. AB beats double coverage all the time, and it's not like they have Revis to stick on him. If they do triple cover him, that'll leave holes for our run game and it'll leave a receiver open. The offense isn't what I am worried about.

I wouldn't "worry" about the O if not for the fact that it might need to score 40-something to win. BB is a warlock at figuring out how to shut down what you want to do most.

I am worried about the defense, but not as much as most. If we can generate a pass rush,

If? All indications point to they can't.

and I'll take a few roughing the passer calls to make Brady uncomfortable, I'll then be less worried. I think our corners can handle their receivers,

I'm not sure our CBs can handle my aunt.

I think we will see a better Cortez Allen than we saw last season.

He can't possibly be worse. He was epic bad.

Their run game doesn't scare me.

It scares me.

We will see starters on the field. The defensive player that worries me the most is Shamarko Thomas. He can't seem to cover to save his life, nor does he seem to understand coverage responsibilities.

He scares me a lot. We are seeing why he never saw the field until now. He reminds me of Delton Hall.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Hey yo Tee Tee , or Tah Tah , or whatever man don't be bringin your Aunt up in this conversation , I love her man . You readin me ?For real though i can't understand why our defense sucks so bad when they have yet to take the field .My only ? mark is coming from the pressure on the QB . That in itself has the ability to make our secondary look somewhat logistically sound . We been draftin #1's for our pass rush that we could afford ,due to our steady record that enables us to pick at the bottom of the pecking order . What do you think ? Oh i'm sorry i have already read what you think .We have a season ahead that we have been waiting for all off season long . I just ain't buyin in to the whole "our defense sucks" when i did not see em play yet . You're mainstream dude,get over yourself,then you can grow .

TeeTee
09-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Hey yo Tee Tee , or Tah Tah , or whatever man don't be bringin your Aunt up in this conversation , I love her man . You readin me ?For real though i can't understand why our defense sucks so bad when they have yet to take the field .My only ? mark is coming from the pressure on the QB . That in itself has the ability to make our secondary look somewhat logistically sound . We been draftin #1's for our pass rush that we could afford ,due to our steady record that enables us to pick at the bottom of the pecking order . What do you think ? Oh i'm sorry i have already read what you think .We have a season ahead that we have been waiting for all off season long . I just ain't buyin in to the whole "our defense sucks" when i did not see em play yet . You're mainstream dude,get over yourself,then you can grow .

You're right; there are no signs that indicate our D is a likely liability. As a matter of fact, I think they will be as good or better than the 1985 Bears' D as well as the 2000 Ravens.

polamalubeast
09-05-2015, 12:35 PM
You're right; there are no signs that indicate our D is a likely liability. As a matter of fact, I think they will be as good or better than the 1985 Bears' D as well as the 2000 Ravens.

Nobody is saying that!

TeeTee
09-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Nobody is saying that!

I know, but to those who act like there are no warning signs that this D isn't very good just because we haven't seen EVERY starter on the field at the same time, well, I don't know what to say. We were historically awful on many important front last year, and it appears not much was added to improve that side of the ball. One of the only upgrades was no longer force-feeding Troy to be what he once was while he is no longer capable. That is an upgrade. Other than that? Adding Boytkin and eliminating Ike should be an upgrade, what else? Shazier looks to be up upgrade over what he was last year, and Deboo will be a little better as he is in football shape to start. Jones....who knows. Nothing we have seen in PS or camp indicates he is any better. We will just have to wait and see. But I lack confidence heading into the Pats game as far as our D goes. I feel like Brady is gonna scorch it.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't even know the words to express that i hope your words get caught cross-ways inside your throat while you swallow them. You are so mainstream .Surprised you don't have a team of your own to dilly-dally around as you see fit .Pressure on the QB is the one thing that has eluded this team .Big-snack had to retire sometime.You remind me of the notorious" Tony Hip and chest ".Gotta love ya though. Don't know why but i do .Well i don't really .But i still have a pulse .But it could go flatline at any moment .

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Nose tackle on this defense , or should i say the nose tackle on the last defense we actually witnessed take the field is primary to me .Granted i have no clue what so ever of the level nor the school of thought going into our "soon to be new look" defense. Steelers have played some football,and they know about winning .That is what keeps me coming back,they have the knowledge of winning.

TeeTee
09-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't even know the words to express that i hope your words get caught cross-ways inside your throat while you swallow them. You are so mainstream .Surprised you don't have a team of your own to dilly-dally around as you see fit .Pressure on the QB is the one thing that has eluded this team .Big-snack had to retire sometime.You remind me of the notorious" Tony Hip and chest ".Gotta love ya though. Don't know why but i do .Well i don't really .But i still have a pulse .But it could go flatline at any moment .

I can't claim to even understand what you are attempting to say. I am just hoping for amusement, even if unintentional. Please carry on. Maybe you will become funny.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 03:23 PM
You claim all styles of stuff man come on . Run this defense into the ground . I want to be able to back it up when the time comes .My shit is backable all the way back to the MACH V . Agree or disagree ? I do not waiver on my support for the team . The defense has not taken thus far on the field of play.You exude collapse or some other sort of misconfiguration that you are trying to should i say so miserably disconnect a Nation . Good luck with that. I really mean that , good luck man .

ALLD
09-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Steelers will be down by 2 touchdowns at the half.

smokin3000gt
09-05-2015, 03:34 PM
I have faith in Ben and the offense...even without Bell and Bryant. We have not yet seen our starting defense play a single snap together yet.

The homer in me has faith that the defense will surprise Brady** and Belichick**. I expect our defense to start the season slow but dramatically improve by midseason. It will have a whole new dynamic compared to our classic style of defense. Superbowl bound, baby! :tt03: :lol:

Fixed it for you.

Psycho Ward 86
09-05-2015, 03:38 PM

well we wouldnt want to break tradition now would we :lol:

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 04:20 PM
appologize for my rantings,not for what i beleive

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Loyalty is something you believe in .Why it is important to me to show my true colors i may never understand .

Mojouw
09-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Glad to see that the level of posting around here has simply become to have the "hottest of takes" with no real thought, analysis, information, etc to back any of it up.

Sad. There used to be thoughtful discussion around these parts.

I mean we could talk about the fact that AB has never been taken out of a game (like ever) by any gameplan. Wheaton has looked like an animal over the middle in the preseason. DeAngelo Williams isn't exactly chopped liver at RB. We could talk about the fact that the Patriots are starting hot-dog vendors at CB and the Steelers can put offensive formations on the field that should be able to expose that lack of depth. Or, looking at the other side of the ball, we could talk about how after Gronk, the Pats have a bunch of small, not very physical receivers that are exactly they types of players that our smurf sized DBs SHOULD be able to cover. We may want to examine the potential of Shazier to turn and run with Gronk. We could then discuss the fact that when the Pats are not able to get the ball deep to Gronk down the seams, they struggle to move the ball in chunks.

Or we could just tee it up and simply parrot lame ass ideas and blanket statements that would best be left on the sports radio program they most likely came from.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 06:47 PM
well my man you were not hired for your own disposition,that takes care of that part .Were you even hired at all ? We all have anger to do with our team that we think is not being fullfilled one way or another .Football is hard man. It is beyond complicated.We shall progress as the season unveils its own self .

Psycho Ward 86
09-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Jonas Gray cut: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523048/article/jonas-gray-released-by-new-england-patriots

wth...

Cyphon25
09-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Or, looking at the other side of the ball, we could talk about how after Gronk, the Pats have a bunch of small, not very physical receivers that are exactly they types of players that our smurf sized DBs SHOULD be able to cover.

We could, but we would be fooling ourselves. Unless the Steelers completely change their style of defense we will get shredded just like any other time. They may have non physical receivers but that only comes into play when our DB's play up on the line. Which is never. Assuming we play differently you make a good point.

We may want to examine the potential of Shazier to turn and run with Gronk.

Shazier has shown us nothing that says he is anything special in coverage and you have to be special to cover Gronk. Basically our only choice is to have Shazier take away the underneath with his speed and range and keep someone over top of Gronk and even that might not do anything considering his height and just overall physical advantage on our guys. So yeah, Shazier can easily run with him but that won't do a lot when Brady throws it over top of Shazier into Gronks waiting hands. Going to need someone coming in to break it up.

teegre
09-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Glad to see that the level of posting around here has simply become to have the "hottest of takes" with no real thought, analysis, information, etc to back any of it up.

I mean we could talk about the fact that AB has never been taken out of a game (like ever) by any gameplan. Wheaton has looked like an animal over the middle in the preseason. DeAngelo Williams isn't exactly chopped liver at RB. We could talk about the fact that the Patriots are starting hot-dog vendors at CB and the Steelers can put offensive formations on the field that should be able to expose that lack of depth. Or, looking at the other side of the ball, we could talk about how after Gronk, the Pats have a bunch of small, not very physical receivers that are exactly they types of players that our smurf sized DBs SHOULD be able to cover. We may want to examine the potential of Shazier to turn and run with Gronk. We could then discuss the fact that when the Pats are not able to get the ball deep to Gronk down the seams, they struggle to move the ball in chunks.

Or we could just tee it up and simply parrot lame ass ideas and blanket statements that would best be left on the sports radio program they most likely came from.

As always, great post.

My buddy & I were saying how everyone is freaking out about Bryant being out (we admit: it sucks), but they're all forgetting that Wheaton had an excellent preseason.

So, he & I were thinking that AB will go off for like 8 rec, 135 yards, & 2 TDs in the first half... until Belichick triple-covers AB. Then, the Steelers will target the hell out of Wheaton... for 11 rec, 155 yards, & 3 TDs.

The key match-up: Cody Wallace vs. Malcolm Brown.

If Wallace holds his own, DeAngelo Williams will do enough to keep the SS honest, allowing AB & Wheaton to own that secondary. If Wallace fails, so shall the Steelers.

cold-hard-steel
09-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Thats the thing i look to,but every body and the mother too is focused on the weakness of our defense. I never even saw our defense take the field yet but i can tell ya right now they can't stop the run worth a yesterday caught cat fish .As far as the pass goes , they will still be watchin film on what makes a catch catchable.We are in a pitifull disarrayment as a football team.But you know what ? Thats right , i love em ! They ain't perfect and i find that appealing. They are so appealing i keep coming back again and again since 1972. I have seen so many holes plugged up,that it just opened a new one .Steelers are for real,you just watch.

tube517
09-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Is it September 10th yet?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

LLT
09-06-2015, 09:06 AM
I know, but to those who act like there are no warning signs that this D isn't very good just because we haven't seen EVERY starter on the field at the same time, well, I don't know what to say.

The only place in which anyone has said this is in your mind.

You tend to go to extremes in your responses instead of ACTUALLY debating what the other person ACTUALLY said. In my experience...those who truly know the game never have to build straw-men arguments.

smokin3000gt
09-06-2015, 12:39 PM

To be fair, it's still the off season. There hasn't been a lot to see, especially for those who haven't been able to watch the preseason games. There will be more to discuss once we get to see a game or two.

TeeTee
09-07-2015, 05:21 PM
The only place in which anyone has said this is in your mind.

You tend to go to extremes in your responses instead of ACTUALLY debating what the other person ACTUALLY said. In my experience...those who truly know the game never have to build straw-men arguments.

We must be reading different posts. If you haven't seen the "This D is fine, we have't seen the starters play together yet" I guess you just missed them. Your assertion of straw men arguments, is, in fact, a straw man argument itself.

TeeTee
09-07-2015, 05:27 PM
We been draftin #1's for our pass rush that we could afford ,due to our steady record that enables us to pick at the bottom of the pecking order .

"Bottom of the pecking order?" We had two consecutive seasons with an 8-8 record in the two seasons before last. An 8-8 record puts you at the bottom of the draft? My math says it's puts you around the middle, which is where we were. It puts you no where near "bottom of the pecking order." :noidea::noidea::noidea:

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
We must be reading different posts. If you haven't seen the "This D is fine, we have't seen the starters play together yet" I guess you just missed them. Your assertion of straw men arguments, is, in fact, a straw man argument itself.

I said it. And I stand by it. WHEN Harrison and Dupree/Jones played together - there was pressure. WHEN Heyward, Tuitt, and McClendon were on the field together - the front line looked decent. Shazier has looked like a holy terror finally unleashed. When he gets to line up with Timmons - that'll be something to see. That is the good. The bad is that the safety play looks below average at best and downright terrifying at worst. Corner play is harder to evaluate as we have not really seen the actual line-up that much.

Additionally if you look at the individual games, the back-ups were the ones that got scorched. Well that and Shamarko.

So I stand by the argument.

- - - Updated - - -

"Bottom of the pecking order?" We had two consecutive seasons with an 8-8 record in the two seasons before last. An 8-8 record puts you at the bottom of the draft? My math says it's puts you around the middle, which is where we were. It puts you no where near "bottom of the pecking order." :noidea::noidea::noidea:

If you pick 15th in a draft and the 4 top tier pass rushers have already come off the board - then you are already starting to scrape the bottom of the pass rush barrel.

It's all relative to what has come before. It is the reason that we haven't drafted a CB in the first round two straight years - the first round value was gone.

TeeTee
09-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Easy, Cool Breeze. It's a sports message board on the Internet; that's where people express OPINIONS. I know this isn't news to you.

I mean we could talk about the fact that AB has never been taken out of a game (like ever) by any gameplan.

Oh, he'll get his obligatory 5 catches, that they will ensure even if it costs us the game. But vs. NYJ he had 74 yards and vs. KC he had 72. That's not a complete shut down, but the is being pretty contained.
I am sure Belichick would accept holding him to less than 75 yards.

Wheaton has looked like an animal over the middle in the preseason. DeAngelo Williams isn't exactly chopped liver at RB. We could talk about the fact that the Patriots are starting hot-dog vendors at CB and the Steelers can put offensive formations on the field that should be able to expose that lack of depth. Or, looking at the other side of the ball, we could talk about how after Gronk, the Pats have a bunch of small, not very physical receivers that are exactly they types of players that our smurf sized DBs SHOULD be able to cover.

Yea, Wheaton. That's why I mentioned him needing to have big game for us to win. So you are agreeing with me. As far as NE not having big targets, that's been the case in every season where they won a ring. So, I guess they have proven they don't need big, fast WRs ever since Brady has been there.

We may want to examine the potential of Shazier to turn and run with Gronk. We could then discuss the fact that when the Pats are not able to get the ball deep to Gronk down the seams, they struggle to move the ball in chunks.

Oh yea? So you think Shazier won't have any problem covering the 6-6 Gronk while giving up half a foot? OK, we will see.

I don't think you quite got the gist of what sports message boards typically contain. They are, in fact, just another version of what a sports call-in radio program is. It's people expressing their opinions. Some will be proven right (like most of mine) and some will be proven wrong. Let's see which of ours comes to fruition. In summary, you seem to think the Pats don't have any WRs that will get open or catch passes, and their DBs will be scorched by our WRs all night.

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Easy, Cool Breeze. It's a sports message board on the Internet; that's where people express OPINIONS. I know this isn't news to you.

Oh, he'll get his obligatory 5 catches, that they will ensure even if it costs us the game. But vs. NYJ he had 74 yards and vs. KC he had 72. That's not a complete shut down, but the is being pretty contained.
I am sure Belichick would accept holding him to less than 75 yards.

Yea, Wheaton. That's why I mentioned him needing to have big game for us to win. So you are agreeing with me. As far as NE not having big targets, that's been the case in every season where they won a ring. So, I guess they have proven they don't need big, fast WRs ever since Brady has been there.

Oh yea? So you think Shazier won't have any problem covering the 6-6 Gronk while giving up half a foot? OK, we will see.

I don't think you quite got the gist of what sports message boards typically contain. They are, in fact, just another version of what a sports call-in radio program is. It's people expressing their opinions. Some will be proven right (like most of mine) and some will be proven wrong. Let's see which of ours comes to fruition. In summary, you seem to think the Pats don't have any WRs that will get open or catch passes, and their DBs will be scorched by our WRs all night.

None of that is true. It is all an exaggerated distortion of what was actually said.

Look, I search out Steelers message boards to have a discussion and deeper analysis than the surface opinions and mostly non-sense takes I hear on sports radio. Others here seem to do the same.

You seem to be looking for something different. The next fact you use in a post will be the first. I can post a longer more detailed discussion of what I am getting at about the Pats game - such as the fact that I never said that w/out big targets NE couldn't/wouldn't succeed. I simply said that even in their SB seasons they struggle to move the ball when you take the deep pass away and compress the field. Outside of Gronk they do not have a receiver that puts the Steelers DBs at a fundamental physical disadvantage. That was all. - but clearly you simply want to bang on the "OMG! The DEFENSE IS SOOOO BADDD! What are we gonna do?" narrative in thread after thread. So have fun.

TeeTee
09-07-2015, 06:24 PM
None of that is true. It is all an exaggerated distortion of what was actually said.

Look, I search out Steelers message boards to have a discussion and deeper analysis than the surface opinions and mostly non-sense takes I hear on sports radio. Others here seem to do the same.

You seem to be looking for something different. The next fact you use in a post will be the first. I can post a longer more detailed discussion of what I am getting at about the Pats game - such as the fact that I never said that w/out big targets NE couldn't/wouldn't succeed. I simply said that even in their SB seasons they struggle to move the ball when you take the deep pass away and compress the field. Outside of Gronk they do not have a receiver that puts the Steelers DBs at a fundamental physical disadvantage. That was all. - but clearly you simply want to bang on the "OMG! The DEFENSE IS SOOOO BADDD! What are we gonna do?" narrative in thread after thread. So have fun.

Nope, there is no difference between message boards and talk shows % of what kind assertions are being made. You will have your more excitable callers/posters involved in hyperbole and you will have some more analytical callers/posters offering less bombastic takes and everything in between. And then you have those who believe they a being logical and dealing with truth, as long as those supposed truths offer an optimistic conclusion of the state of the team. These types also like to try to sell - to themselves and others - that anyone offering not fully optimistic takes are "fools who don't deal in facts," since their emotional wellness is shook by any take that doesn't conclude that the Steelers are in fine shape. No one is telling you which type of poster you should be; should you be telling others which type of poster they should be? And, on a related point, show me where I ever posted anything along the lines of (and in all caps, mind you) "THE DEFENSE IS SOOOOOO BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD, WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?" This is misguided warping of reality on your part.

And let's also not forget that you think Pgh's D is going to be very solid, right out of the gates. In your mind, what, we will hold the Pats to 10 points?

What I have seen is virtually no pressure on the QB, even with the starting unit in there, and, players wide open all over the field. Now, I guess you are going to see that wasn't reality, but, it was to my eyes. If we end up a top 3 D and shut the Pats down to 10 or less points, I will admit you were right. Now let's see how this unfolds.

86WARD
09-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Of course it matters where they draft...at the same time, it matters more what they do with their picks and they've been bad...there's absolutely no reason in the last couple few or more years that they couldn't package picks and move up to get better players. This team is CLEARLY not one that does well with a quality of picks so maybe it's better that hey take fewer players of better quality...

Mojouw
09-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Nope, there is no difference between message boards and talk shows % of what kind assertions are being made. You will have your more excitable callers/posters involved in hyperbole and you will have some more analytical callers/posters offering less bombastic takes and everything in between. And then you have those who believe they a being logical and dealing with truth, as long as those supposed truths offer an optimistic conclusion of the state of the team. These types also like to try to sell - to themselves and others - that anyone offering not fully optimistic takes are "fools who don't deal in facts," since their emotional wellness is shook by any take that doesn't conclude that the Steelers are in fine shape. No one is telling you which type of poster you should be; should you be telling others which type of poster they should be? And, on a related point, show me where I ever posted anything along the lines of (and in all caps, mind you) "THE DEFENSE IS SOOOOOO BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD, WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?" This is misguided warping of reality on your part.

And let's also not forget that you think Pgh's D is going to be very solid, right out of the gates. In your mind, what, we will hold the Pats to 10 points?

What I have seen is virtually no pressure on the QB, even with the starting unit in there, and, players wide open all over the field. Now, I guess you are going to see that wasn't reality, but, it was to my eyes. If we end up a top 3 D and shut the Pats down to 10 or less points, I will admit you were right. Now let's see how this unfolds.

Again, I never said any of this. I merely stated that we can either all assume that the D is terrible and there is no hope in the game against the Pats OR we can look at what the Steelers MAY be able to do to counter the Pats advantages and hide their own deficiencies. That was it.

I never said that the Steelers will hold the Pats to 10 points or less. I never spoke about a top 3 defense.

Since you never asked, but I will tell you anyways, I think the Steelers are going to lose to the Pats by about 2 scores. But I think it will be a closer game than most anticipate. I think this defense can stop the run and I think they will generate more of a pass rush than last year. However, I also think the DBs will be bad - in particular the safeties.

Look, I truly enjoy discussing things on this board and attempt to embrace all opinions - something I regularly fail at, but I try anyways. But I have no interest having my points continually exaggerated to a ridiculous degree in order to warp any discussion out of any reality. I realize that you have never used an all caps statement, but in multiple threads you are predicting 50+ points by the Pats and offer no real argument other than poor showings in the preseason - mostly by players that will not be appearing in the Patriots game.

It is your choice - I'm done.

Steelersfan
09-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Who must produce to win. I would have to say Butler.

The world champs *****************are depleted. They lost their top 3 CBs, they lost their top 2 RB and cut their 3rd. Wilfork is sweating off pounds in Houston, I believe. I'm not sure I can name a starting receiver & Lafell is hurt. As is Hightower, I beleive.

Our offense should go off even if they triple cover Antonio. The whole key to this game is Gronk. He is the Patriots this year. Butler needs to take a page from Belichick. Take away their #1 asset. Can Butler game plan, with this new group, a way to neutralize Gronk first and then Brady 2nd (I'm talking to you Deebo).

Who must produce??? Butler and whoever he chooses to scheme against Gronk. I'm thinking Shazier underneath and Cortez Allen blankets him deep side. Take Gronk out of this game, shake Brady up a little and go after those no-name DB's with Brown, Wheaton, DHB, Coates & Archer.

Welcome to the NFL as the Steelers D-coordinator. This first game is your test. You can win Steeler Nation over, or you can start, the move to run you outta-taun. Your choice, big man!!!