PDA

View Full Version : Steelers restructured contracts of WR Antonio Brown, TE Heath Miller, Shaun Suisham

polamalubeast
09-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Adam SchefterVerified account
‏@AdamSchefter
Steelers restructured contracts of WR Antonio Brown, TE Heath Miller, Shaun Suisham, creating nearly $6 million of cap room for, per sources

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/638769139998457856

TeeTee
09-01-2015, 01:01 PM
So, it looks like they semi-paid AB a little better by 2 mill?

polamalubeast
09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
So, it looks like they semi-paid AB a little better by 2 mill?

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago
On Antonio Brown, Steelers moved $2 million in salary from next year to sign bonus this year, boosting his earnings from $6 million to $8M.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/638772909620744193

86WARD
09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm good with that...lol.

steelreserve
09-01-2015, 01:08 PM
What exactly are we planning to do with this money? We don't get any bonus points for being further under the cap than we already were. Unless they've got some big high-impact signing in mind, but I don't really know who's out there that fits that description.

polamalubeast
09-01-2015, 01:10 PM
What exactly are we planning to do with this money? We don't get any bonus points for being further under the cap than we already were. Unless they've got some big high-impact signing in mind, but I don't really know who's out there that fits that description.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 23m23 minutes ago
Steelers plan to use majority of $6 million of salary-cap room to offset large number of injured players counting against salary cap.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/638770021917962240

TD's & Beer
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Keepin' Antonio happy!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/638770492153982977

Steelers turned $2M from 2016 into a signing bonus now for Antonio Brown. He’ll make $8M this year

TeeTee
09-01-2015, 01:36 PM

Re-signing Beachum is my guess. Plus it bumped AB by $2 million this year. I get it.

teegre
09-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Beachum, DeCastro, Bell...

tube517
09-01-2015, 03:54 PM
That selfish AB#84....cut him! :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2015, 04:32 PM
what the fuck did they restructure suisham for. just cut him now that we have scobee

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2015, 04:34 PM
what the fuck did they restructure suisham for. just cut him now that we have scobee

Yea, seems odd for a kicker with a blown out knee right after trading for a better kicker.

Rotorhead
09-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Well there will be a lot of cuts soon, and some teams are deeper at some positions than others (like us at WR and ILB) so maybe a decent CB or OLB gets cut and we can pick them up?

steelreserve
09-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Beachum, DeCastro, Bell...

If we can get all that done within a week, I'd be happy. Heck, if we could get any of it done I'd be happy. I sure hope that's the reason. Because we are/were under the cap with or without the money spent replacing injured players. That's a non-issue unless we have something else specific in mind.

TD's & Beer
09-01-2015, 10:49 PM
In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise

The Steelers have had a longstanding policy to not rework non-quarterbacks' contracts with multiple years remaining, but nothing was said about giving a player an advance on his pay.

An industry source Tuesday confirmed the Steelers took $2 million of Antonio Brown's 2016 contract and converted it to a signing bonus this season. That bumps Brown's salary this season to $8 million, which is more in line with some of the top receivers in the NFL.

Brown signed a five-year extension in 2012 for $42 million but has outperformed his contract with consecutive 100-plus catch seasons. Brown confirmed the restructuring and raise after practice Tuesday.

“They could've told me to stick to my original deal,” Brown said. “I am deeply grateful and have tremendous gratitude. They didn't have to do it. It just shows what they think about me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9016799-74/brown-steelers-deal#axzz3kY7SGRz9

------------------------

Atta boyz all around

fansince'76
09-02-2015, 12:13 AM

I don't think they can cut a player on IR.

smokin3000gt
09-02-2015, 12:17 AM
How much is AB supposed to make next year?

j-d-s
09-02-2015, 01:38 AM
It was scheduled to be 8.25 million, so now 6.25 million. But you can be sure he will get more if he continues his performance from last year. We're talking about 14 million minimum.

teegre
09-02-2015, 06:41 AM
If we can get all that done within a week, I'd be happy. Heck, if we could get any of it done I'd be happy. I sure hope that's the reason. Because we are/were under the cap with or without the money spent replacing injured players. That's a non-issue unless we have something else specific in mind.

True... all three, no; one, assuredly. Omar Khan is a cap genius. He wouldn't clear space without a reason. My guess: Beachum.

steelreserve
09-02-2015, 11:24 AM
True... all three, no; one, assuredly. Omar Khan is a cap genius. He wouldn't clear space without a reason. My guess: Beachum.

Since every deal he puts together involves a crippling backload, and then a minimum of two restructures to make the final years of the contract even more crippling, I don't think they needed that much cap room just for Beachum, or for any one of those players. Khan's plan is probably to have a 75-cent cap hit this year, which goes up to a buck twenty-five in 2016, then $20 million every year after that. He's a master of kicking the can down the road in order to wriggle out of massive problems that he created himself - but "cap genius" is really pushing it.

At any rate, Beachum is probably the single most important player of that bunch to get re-signed sooner rather than later, so I hope you're right about that.

teegre
09-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Since every deal he puts together involves a crippling backload, and then a minimum of two restructures to make the final years of the contract even more crippling, I don't think they needed that much cap room just for Beachum, or for any one of those players. Khan's plan is probably to have a 75-cent cap hit this year, which goes up to a buck twenty-five in 2016, then $20 million every year after that. He's a master of kicking the can down the road in order to wriggle out of massive problems that he created himself - but "cap genius" is really pushing it.

At any rate, Beachum is probably the single most important player of that bunch to get re-signed sooner rather than later, so I hope you're right about that.

I disagree. Khan was able to keep the 2005 team together for two more SuperBowl runs (2008, 2010). They were one drive shy of winning a third Lombardi with the same core group of players. That is extremely impressive in the cap era.

It would have worked out perfectly, if they had somehow won in 2010. Alas, those core players barely missed getting their third Lombardi, and they stuck around for an extra few years. If they had won in 2010 (or, even in 2011), they assuredly would have all retired, eliminating any cap problems. Alas...

Likewise, the cap did not go up for two years, as it was supposed to do... which put them into a little bit of cap hell.

That said, even with the players not retiring AND the cap not going up, Khan was able to keep BB, Ward, Miller, Polamalu, Taylor, Farrior, Keisel, Hampton, Foote, Smith (through 2008), and Harrison & Clark (2006 onward) together. To me, that is indeed genius.

Look at the Chargers: they didn't win a single Lombardi in that timeframe and still had to gut their roster. I'll take "two out of three" in SuoerBowls over "none" any day of the week.