PDA

View Full Version : Preseason - Week 3 Thoughts

Chidi29
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Not a lot went well, but there were some bright spots and still time to get the kinks worked out.

First Half

- You'll never see Reed kick one out of bounds without a bounce. Horrible way to start the game, giving Denver excellent field position.

- The whole defensive line got blown back on Denver's first score. Broncos got a great push and helped themselves by spreading things out, coming out of the shotgun and three wide.

- It looks like Moore played a part in our first KR. Waves to Brown to take it out. A side note on that: Tomlin said he's fine with a returner taking it out of the endzone provided that he catches it cleanly and his body is going forward.

- The people at Fox really pushed the widescreen. I just want to watch football. Preferrably, without Joe Buck announcing. Can you do anything about that, Fox?

- One of the few times I didn't like Mendenhall using the spin (I usually don't complain about it). On his big run, think it went for 11 yards, the one where he spun away and broke it back to the left side. It looks like it's supposed to be a one cut with the line crashing down to the right. We ran the same play shortly after to the other side with Mendenhall cutting back. The spin is too slow developing for what the play is designed for.

- Sepulevda's times: 1st was out of bounds. Second: 4.1 (13 with Logan holding)

- Reed's: 4.3 from kick to catch. Low liner that bounced at the 11 and caught at the 8.

- Foote replaced Farrior for those keeping track in case of another injury down the road (Fox roatated with Foote).

- Mundy and Allen rotated.

- Brown made the obvious mistake of trying to return a punt from inside his own five. Tomlin put a vet like Moore back there last season and I expect him to continue to do so this season. One plus of the return: At least Brown covered up the ball with two hands after he realized he had nowhere to go.

- Stefan Logan came in at WR as a decoy in a fake screen after we had thrown it on the previous two plays.

- 1st gunners: Burnett and Butler (though we didn't punt until the start of the 2nd quarter for whatever it's worth)

- Definitely ran a fake option read with Dixon on the run by Randle El. Defense wasn't fooled.

- Terrible decision making by Dixon on the pick in the end zone. Can't turn the ball over in the red zone. That stuff killed us last year.

- Did like the way Timmons played, but he has to finish the sack. It's the second time in as many weeks that he's let the QB get away.

- One of the weirder plays from Lewis that didn't happen after the snap. There was a screen pass to Lewis' side. Instead of Lewis trying to come up and make the tackle for a minimal gain, he starts to turn and practically runs with the WR before finally making the tackle after an 8 or 9 yard gain. This is the play where Lewis got his second personal foul if you're trying to think back.

- Flozell's feet go dead, but it hasn't hurt him yet. Usually means he's locked on.

- Essex beat on a spin move by Ayers that resulted in a sack.

- The penalties are obviously very concerning. What's worse is that we seem to bre regressing instead of progressing. The first game was clean but we've had quite a few penalties the past two weeks, especially post snap.

- Pass protection actually looked pretty good. No major issues.

- Pouncey looked like a guy playing against a Pro Bowl run stuffer. He wasn't bad, but I didn't see the reason for the glowing accolades that he got from some people. I think that he'll excel against guys his own size and I'm much less concerned about us going against 4-3 defenses because of that. Let me be clear that it was just one week and his first taste of a 3-4 NT at the NFL level, and Pouncey will continue to adjust.

2nd Half

- Did see Dixon keep his eyes downfield out of the pocket. That was good to watch.

- The second time in as many weeks that Flozell has pancaked a DE rushing. Looks effortless, not surprisingly.

- According to Tomlin, the 4th and 1 bootleg by Dixon was Tomlin's call.

- 2nd team o-line: Hills, Foster, Hartwig, Legursky, Scott

- Antonio Brown working as a gunner in the 3rd.

- Bailey and Worilds working as the second team OLBs.

- Cromartie's hurt shoulder that Tomlin talked about came at the 1:55 moment in the 3rd quarter as he dove for an interception.

- Line change: Hills, Urbik, Hartwig, Legursky, Scott

- I wonder how much we've practiced plays with FBs. Just spitballing, but both broken plays the past two weeks came with a FB in.

- Tomlin said we got Adrian Tracey a roster spot against the Giants. I think we gave Joe Mays one Sunday.

- Matt Stewart was the 3rd guy down on the PR in which he made the tackle. He is a former LB so he has some speed. He had a bad snap on the first FG attempt, but Tomlin said he played well.

- One quote from Ward that probably got lost because he made the remark during Butler's return. He said something to the effect of:

"He's more outgoing now. Where in the past, we didn't really know what was going on because he kept to himself."

- Line: Hills, Foster, Hartwig, Legursky, Scott

- We didn't use Frank very much until the 4th quarter.

- Legursky looked like a quick puller. I know Tomlin uses him as a FB because of that quick first surge he has.

Injury Front

Timmons came up a little dinged. Moore was holding his wrist after making a catch, Cromartie has a shoulder, but Tomlin only mentioned Cromartie and didn't sound too concerned about it. McFadden is out tomorrow with the target date being Week 1. Hopefully Steve McClendon will get to play tomorrow.

Austin87
09-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Good stuff Chidi.