PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Disappointed In Lack Of Competitiveness In Fringe Players

Steeldude
08-31-2015, 06:45 AM
Tomlin’s comments go beyond that, and touch on something deeper. His comments suggest that he is looking to identify a lack of will on the part of his fringe players, pinpointing that as an undesirable trait to be eliminated from the roster at the earliest convenience.

Why just fringe players?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/mike-tomlin-disappointed-in-lack-of-competitiveness-in-fringe-players/

TD's & Beer
08-31-2015, 07:36 AM
I don't know what he's whining about - he picked these guys. Maybe it's the coaching?

Or just overall lack of quality depth. We have a first string offense, and that's about it - as for the backups - cut em all and fill the roster from the waiver wire - nobody is showing anything special

Steeldude
08-31-2015, 08:05 AM
I don't know what he's whining about - he picked these guys. Maybe it's the coaching?

Or just overall lack of quality depth. We have a first string offense, and that's about it - as for the backups - cut em all and fill the roster from the waiver wire - nobody is showing anything special

I assuming that's not a totally serious comment. More of a comment based on the frustrations with this team.

TD's & Beer
08-31-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm cereal

We should be looking for starters in the secondary from other teams' cuts.

Historically bad defense - that's what Eddy B says

Steeldude
08-31-2015, 08:41 AM
I'm cereal

We should be looking for starters in the secondary from other teams' cuts.

They might do that, but I am not sure how much cap room they have left.

TD's & Beer
08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Here's one

CHICAGO - The Bears announced the release of veteran two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Tim Jennings' contract Sunday.

Jennings underwent knee surgery in the offseason, which limited his involvement in the Bears' voluntary workout program.

A 10-year NFL veteran, Jennings signed a four-year, $22.4 million extension on Jan. 2, 2014.

He led the NFL in interceptions in 2012 with nine, tied for second-most in one season in Bears history.

Jennings' $4.4 million 2015 base salary is guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/13547064/chicago-bears-release-tim-jennings
---------------------

so they pay and we get him for vet minimum?

Steeldude
08-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Here's one

CHICAGO - The Bears announced the release of veteran two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Tim Jennings' contract Sunday.

Jennings underwent knee surgery in the offseason, which limited his involvement in the Bears' voluntary workout program.

A 10-year NFL veteran, Jennings signed a four-year, $22.4 million extension on Jan. 2, 2014.

He led the NFL in interceptions in 2012 with nine, tied for second-most in one season in Bears history.

Jennings' $4.4 million 2015 base salary is guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/13547064/chicago-bears-release-tim-jennings
---------------------

so they pay and we get him for vet minimum?

How much cap room is left? Don't forget about dead money.

He also coming off a knee injury and a DUI incident.

TD's & Beer
08-31-2015, 09:24 AM
How much cap room is left?

you do the math

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

fansince'76
08-31-2015, 09:38 AM

Not going to say I'm not concerned about the defense, but Ed Bullchitte has always been a fan of hyperbole too.

TD's & Beer
08-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Ha! You know when Tomlin said fringe players the first one I thought of was Josh Harris...so

vet minimum!

Fred Jackson cut by the Bills!

steelreserve
08-31-2015, 10:31 AM
You know what I'm disappointed in? How often we start the season looking completely unprepared.

Look like shit ... look like shit ... "Get over it, it's only preseason" ... look like shit some more ... "OMG sky is falling! I'm not ready to write off _____ after three PRESEASON games! Steelers fans are so impatient!" ... look like shit again ... not ready for the real season.

Yeah, everyone knows the wins and losses don't count. I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in how the team looks in the process of getting there. It CAN be a good indicator of having your shit together or not, and guess which side of that we come out on more often than now.

I do still wonder about the coaching. Given the way the defense has been so far, I wonder if Butler is in over his head. I expected us to be somewhat better defensively this year with no key departures (yes, I know we lost some big names, but they were long since ineffective), a blank slate with injuries, and a lot of young guys ready to come into their own. It hasn't come together at all.

SteeleReign
08-31-2015, 11:04 AM
You know what I'm disappointed in? How often we start the season looking completely unprepared.

Look like shit ... look like shit ... "Get over it, it's only preseason" ... look like shit some more ... "OMG sky is falling! I'm not ready to write off _____ after three PRESEASON games! Steelers fans are so impatient!" ... look like shit again ... not ready for the real season.

Yeah, everyone knows the wins and losses don't count. I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in how the team looks in the process of getting there. It CAN be a good indicator of having your shit together or not, and guess which side of that we come out on more often than now.

I do still wonder about the coaching. Given the way the defense has been so far, I wonder if Butler is in over his head. I expected us to be somewhat better defensively this year with no key departures (yes, I know we lost some big names, but they were long since ineffective), a blank slate with injuries, and a lot of young guys ready to come into their own. It hasn't come together at all.

Spot on. I roll my eyes when I hear "it's only preseason" after pathetic performances. That excuse only applies to the scoreboard - no one cares (or should care) whether we win or lose. What we are looking for, and the coaches too, is growth. We want to see the young guys getting better each week. We want to see the 2nd & 3rd year guys show the potential that goes with their draft position. We want to see preparedness - if we lose because the other team outplayed us or just has better players, fine. When we lose to lesser quality teams because our "better players" looked confused or uninterested then we have a problem.

And that problem isn't that it's "only preseason." That problem is poor coaching. How many seasons, how many games do we come out flat? It's seems a rare occurrence that we hit the field and start kicking ass out of the gate. On the other hand, it feels (I've not done any research to back this up) like we often allow the opposition to get early momentum.

I still feel like Coach T needs to get tougher on these kids. Drop the "player's coach" method and go all Parcells on their asses!

ALLD
08-31-2015, 02:26 PM
With a defense like that it's going to be difficult to win close games without Antonio Bell and Marcus Bryant the first few games.

hawaiiansteeler
08-31-2015, 02:28 PM
With a defense like that it's going to be difficult to win close games without Antonio Bell and Marcus Bryant the first few games.

you forgot Mike Pouncey...:chuckle:

teegre
08-31-2015, 02:32 PM
you forgot Mike Pouncey...:chuckle:

Jashom Wordiddy likes this post.

TeeTee
08-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Why just fringe players?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/mike-tomlin-disappointed-in-lack-of-competitiveness-in-fringe-players/

Who the F is responsible for players focus and effort? The head coach, that's who. I am sick of this team not being focused to start the season. No one can tell me this isn't on Tomlin. I am so sick of it.

polamalubeast
08-31-2015, 03:00 PM
We'll see how the steelers will bounce back from this horrible game against the Bills.

I thought last year that the season was over after the loss against the Browns, but they won 3 games in a row after against 3 teams with a winning record.

86WARD
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Tomlin Speak.

tube517
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Jashom Wordiddy likes this post.

:lol:

Mojouw
08-31-2015, 03:50 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Raq0zioF6YY/Utm50nyAjDI/AAAAAAAAA2c/UbTJZA6L3wc/s1600/sky+is+falling.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
08-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Tomlin Speak.

um obviously, if you will...

86WARD
08-31-2015, 05:08 PM
um obviously, if you will...

That's the talk of the men we have in this locker room.

SteelMayhem72
08-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Spot on. I roll my eyes when I hear "it's only preseason" after pathetic performances. That excuse only applies to the scoreboard - no one cares (or should care) whether we win or lose. What we are looking for, and the coaches too, is growth. We want to see the young guys getting better each week. We want to see the 2nd & 3rd year guys show the potential that goes with their draft position. We want to see preparedness - if we lose because the other team outplayed us or just has better players, fine. When we lose to lesser quality teams because our "better players" looked confused or uninterested then we have a problem.

And that problem isn't that it's "only preseason." That problem is poor coaching. How many seasons, how many games do we come out flat? It's seems a rare occurrence that we hit the field and start kicking ass out of the gate. On the other hand, it feels (I've not done any research to back this up) like we often allow the opposition to get early momentum.

I still feel like Coach T needs to get tougher on these kids. Drop the "player's coach" method and go all Parcells on their asses!
Amen brother!!! Ive always said that about Tomlin. It seems to me he tries to be their friend instead getting in their shit!

Mojouw
08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh!

It's time for the Tomlin is "soft" and the team lacks "preparation/discipline" thread. My absolute favorite time of year! Of course, this will happen again after each loss (that's "loss" not "loose") or even some of the more narrow victories.

Time for armchair Lombardi's and Bear Bryant's to act out their coaching fantasies.

Does anyone not remember that Cowher - a notorious "hard ass" who was known for frequently "getting in player's shit" consistently fielded teams that dropped the first couple of games of every season? What about all the crap teams that were lost to in the Cowher era?

What about the the almost total lack of success recently by "Parcells style" coaches? Harbaugh flamed out in SF and let half the roster slide into prison. Rex Ryan is likely 1-2 seasons away from being fired - again. Lovie Smith consistently fields pretty awful teams. Fisher isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Coughlin's seat is getting pretty warm in New York. What about Schiano - that was a total disaster.

Meanwhile the most recently successful coaches (Carroll, Bellichek, Arians, Pagano, etc) are known for being demanding, firm, and fair in their dealings with players. Not yelling and stomping around. Sound like any other coach that some of you might have heard of?

86WARD
08-31-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm a believer of the lack of preparation and discipline. I won't lie...lol.

jb500ex
08-31-2015, 05:45 PM
Amen brother!!! Ive always said that about Tomlin. It seems to me he tries to be their friend instead getting in their shit!
James Harrison flat out told the world exactly that

Mojouw
08-31-2015, 05:53 PM
James Harrison flat out told the world exactly that

Might need to back that one up. I am honestly curious and would love to see the article.

Can't be that bad because Harrison agreed to come back to work under Tomlin twice.

SteeleReign
09-01-2015, 08:21 AM

It's time for the Tomlin is "soft" and the team lacks "preparation/discipline" thread. My absolute favorite time of year! Of course, this will happen again after each loss (that's "loss" not "loose") or even some of the more narrow victories.

Time for armchair Lombardi's and Bear Bryant's to act out their coaching fantasies.

Does anyone not remember that Cowher - a notorious "hard ass" who was known for frequently "getting in player's shit" consistently fielded teams that dropped the first couple of games of every season? What about all the crap teams that were lost to in the Cowher era?

What about the the almost total lack of success recently by "Parcells style" coaches? Harbaugh flamed out in SF and let half the roster slide into prison. Rex Ryan is likely 1-2 seasons away from being fired - again. Lovie Smith consistently fields pretty awful teams. Fisher isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Coughlin's seat is getting pretty warm in New York. What about Schiano - that was a total disaster.

Meanwhile the most recently successful coaches (Carroll, Bellichek, Arians, Pagano, etc) are known for being demanding, firm, and fair in their dealings with players. Not yelling and stomping around. Sound like any other coach that some of you might have heard of?

Who gives a flying eff about Cowher? This is about the 2015 Steelers. Tomlin has been here long enough to earn some criticisms, as well as praise. After all, what the hell else is there to talk about after the Bills game?

If it makes you feel better I'll concede that both Cowher and Tomlin suck at game prep/planning. But, for my 2 cents, I prefer the Spitting Jaw over the Tomlin "Everything-is-peachy" Cheerleader Clap (while losing to the Jets or Raiders or Browns or Bucs or Titans or Texans).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like Tomlin because I do. It just irks me that he seems so laissez-faire when the team plays like a bunch of goat turds. Just a coaching style issue with me, not an indictment on his results.

Steeldude
09-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Some fans are fine with poor starts and others are not so fine.

I like different views on the team, coaches, players etc... It makes for an interesting forum.

Mojouw
09-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Who gives a flying eff about Cowher? This is about the 2015 Steelers. Tomlin has been here long enough to earn some criticisms, as well as praise. After all, what the hell else is there to talk about after the Bills game?

If it makes you feel better I'll concede that both Cowher and Tomlin suck at game prep/planning. But, for my 2 cents, I prefer the Spitting Jaw over the Tomlin "Everything-is-peachy" Cheerleader Clap (while losing to the Jets or Raiders or Browns or Bucs or Titans or Texans).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like Tomlin because I do. It just irks me that he seems so laissez-faire when the team plays like a bunch of goat turds. Just a coaching style issue with me, not an indictment on his results.

I guess for me, I could care less about the style, just the results. Through his first seven seasons he is tied in win % with Cowher and he has 3 SB appearances with 2 victories (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1961139-comparing-mike-tomlins-tenure-to-pittsburgh-steelers-all-time-great-head-coach).

The biggest problem with this team is that there are no established playmakers on defense. Shazier looks like he could be a guy that makes things happen. The coaching staff seems to think that Tuitt and Heyward are. Now they need a presence off the edge and at least one guy in coverage to emerge. If those don't happen, the defense will not be very good no matter the coach.

It just seems that there is a train of thought that if only the coaches would coach better the Steelers would never lose. That's kinda ridiculous. I realize there are times when the coaches put players in a position to fail - like trying to have Vince Williams carry a receiver down the seam. But the majority of the time the coaches put the players in a position to succeed and then the players fail to execute. That is on them.

SteeleReign
09-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I guess for me, I could care less about the style, just the results. Through his first seven seasons he is tied in win % with Cowher and he has 3 SB appearances with 2 victories (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1961139-comparing-mike-tomlins-tenure-to-pittsburgh-steelers-all-time-great-head-coach).

The biggest problem with this team is that there are no established playmakers on defense. Shazier looks like he could be a guy that makes things happen. The coaching staff seems to think that Tuitt and Heyward are. Now they need a presence off the edge and at least one guy in coverage to emerge. If those don't happen, the defense will not be very good no matter the coach.

It just seems that there is a train of thought that if only the coaches would coach better the Steelers would never lose. That's kinda ridiculous. I realize there are times when the coaches put players in a position to fail - like trying to have Vince Williams carry a receiver down the seam. But the majority of the time the coaches put the players in a position to succeed and then the players fail to execute. That is on them.

Well, if I'm being honest, I do feel that there are some lingering, reoccurring issues with this team that are related to coaching. And, to be fair, the front office. And to be really really fair, the players performance. Of course, this can be said for every single sports team on the planet. I'm just pointing out where I think we can improve. But, it's hard to argue with MT's results, so I'd be happy with the status quo as well.

katmandu
09-01-2015, 10:38 AM
With a defense like that it's going to be difficult to win close games without Antonio Bell and Marcus Bryant the first few games.LeVeon Bell......

Don't forget about Markice Pouncey as well.

BTW ALLD, my wife just walked in the room as I'm typing this and saw your Avatar! She said.... "What is this ?!?!?" Just got my ass in trouble man ! Thanks! Lol!

ALLD
09-01-2015, 10:39 AM
The avatar is my wife incidentally.

86WARD
09-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Drinking again...lol.