PDA

View Full Version : Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben

hawaiiansteeler
08-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben

By Rob Rossi
Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015

Ben Roethlisberger looked nearly perfect as the Steelers marched down the field on their third offensive series Saturday. Wearing a cap instead of a helmet, gripping a towel not a football, he stood on the sideline.

That is exactly where Roethlisberger belonged — and should stay (unless coach Mike Tomlin will approve a getaway to Cancun) — until the Steelers contest a meaningful snap of football.

So, Sept. 10.

Starting then, against the champs in the house of the deflated footballs, the Steelers need Big Ben to become what he's never been in a likely Hall of Fame career: simply the best.

“Oh, yeah, he can be better,” said Le'Veon Bell, the dual-threat halfback voted by teammates as team MVP last season. “Ben would be the first one to tell you that.”

Presumably, Roethlisberger would have performed better had he played more against Buffalo. He was in for nine plays. He completed two passes. His game was over at about 4:30 p.m.

About three hours later, Roethlisberger headed for the team buses within seconds of Tomlin's verbal flogging of their football team that freefell to a 43-19 defeat.

The coach said lengthy film review was not required to evaluate the Steelers after their showing against Buffalo.

Won't argue that point.

Were Tomlin to argue against Roethlisberger being the only reason to believe the Steelers might not stagger at the beginning of a brutal regular-season schedule, he would lose — and appear almost as unbelievable as his team did Saturday.

There isn't enough space to list all of the Steelers' problems. The rundown includes impending suspensions for Bell and deep-threat receiver Martavis Bryant. It also includes injuries to players ranging from an All-Pro (center Maurkice Pouncey) to a couple of kickers (Shaun Suisham and Garrett Hartley) to a former big-ticket free agent (safety Mike Mitchell) to the latest first-round pick (outside linebacker Bud Dupree) to the best defender (inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons).

Wait, there's more.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8996308-74/steelers-roethlisberger-tomlin#ixzz3kKaIlgQ3

fansince'76
08-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Uh, no. What the Steelers need is for the defense to take a (giant) leap up to being simply mediocre. Ben and the offense are just fine.

Oh, and the Bradshaw comparison? Retarded. The year Bradshaw won the NFL MVP award (1978), the Steelers had the best defense in the league. The defense I saw yesterday would have its hands full against a damn high school JV squad. But thanks for playing.

polamalubeast
08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Uh, no. What the Steelers need is for the defense to take a (giant) leap up to being simply mediocre. Ben and the offense are just fine.

agree

SteelerFanInStl
08-30-2015, 04:13 PM
No matter how great of a season Ben has, he doesn't play defense. Without the defense improving drastically, this team isn't going anywhere.

polamalubeast
08-30-2015, 04:18 PM
The Steelers will need that the defense be better than average for the start of the season without Bell and Bryant for the offense.

steel striker
08-30-2015, 06:15 PM
The offense will be fine but, if the defense shows as bad as last night it's going to be a long season. I don't think they are as bad as they played against the bills. It seems Ben can do anything right in some of the media's eyes and, last year he threw over almsot 5000 yards. I guess thats not good enough for a guy that has been apart of three super bowl teams and, has won two titles. No question the defense does worries me and, the offense is going have to carry the team average over 30 point per game which will be tough. Plus for years people have screamed for a younger defense well now you have a younger group but, that does not always translate into a better defense right way there will be growing pains. The first game against the cheats it worries how wide open the middle could with Gronk. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Nadroj 20
08-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Well if Ben can score enough points where our defense can improve over the course of the season the argument could be made that he'd be the MVP for that reason. Offense carrying the defense until they start getting it together (hopefully).

That's unlikely though. Our offense may become too good, where our defense is actually on the field quite a bit because we score so often. If we can control time of possession that would help, but that's not the way our offense flows the best.

Count Steeler
08-30-2015, 06:16 PM
If we can get to 45 min with TOP, we have a chance. Anything less and the opponents will have too much time to shred this defense.

polamalubeast
08-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Well if Ben can score enough points where our defense can improve over the course of the season the argument could be made that he'd be the MVP for that reason. Offense carrying the defense until they start getting it together (hopefully).

That's unlikely though. Our offense may become too good, where our defense is actually on the field quite a bit because we score so often. If we can control time of possession that would help, but that's not the way our offense flows the best.

I'm not worried about the TOP....The Steelers are always one of the best teams in time of possession in the last few years.

In fact, I think Tomlin gives too much importance at the time of possession.

- - - Updated - - -

If we can get to 45 min with TOP, we have a chance. Anything less and the opponents will have too much time to shred this defense.

Like Chip Kelly has already said,the time of possession is the most overrated stats in the nfl.

Nadroj 20
08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm not worried about the TOP....The Steelers are always one of the best teams in time of possession in the last few years.

In fact, I think Tomlin gives too much importance at the time of possession.

All I'm saying is if our O becomes so high powered when everyone is playing (Bell and Bryant) we could be scoring pretty quickly at times. Which puts our defense back on the field, which as of now is a terrible thing.

I suggested slowing it down to control the TOP as we've done in the past like you stated, but we might not be able to because I don't know that our offense operates the best at the slower tempo. We were second last year and that's fine with me at this point.

polamalubeast
08-30-2015, 06:36 PM
All I'm saying is if our O becomes so high powered when everyone is playing (Bell and Bryant) we could be scoring pretty quickly at times. Which puts our defense back on the field, which as of now is a terrible thing.

I suggested slowing it down to control the TOP as we've done in the past like you stated, but we might not be able to because I don't know that our offense operates the best at the slower tempo. We were second last year and that's fine with me at this point.

If the defense made no stop, the TOP mean nothing.

I mean, a game between the Colts vs dolphins in 2009, the dolphins had the ball for 45 minutes, but they lost 27-23 because their defense has almost makes no stop in the game.

I prefer a game with 10-12 drives for the offense that only 6-8 since the offense is more likely to play to their potential with more drive....Yes it would mean more points allowed, but it would mean that the Steelers would have maybe 500 points in offense.

But I not believe that the Steelers will have 500 points, since Haley and Tomlin are sometimes too conservative.

Cyphon25
08-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Like Chip Kelly has already said,the time of possession is the most overrated stats in the nfl.

Depends on the context. If you are adding points after long drives it is a very important stat. Less time a team has the ball the less time they have to score. And if you put it in the context of it being a QB driven league and you are keeping the ball out of Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Luck etc...Hands for long periods of time....

Then you add on the rest for a defense the longer your offense has the ball and you start seeing why it is important.

Count Steeler
08-30-2015, 06:51 PM
OK, don't like TOP because of Chip Kelly? Aside, who gives a flying fooey about Chip Kelly?

If the ball is in our hands more often and for a longer period of time, it helps the defense.

If our coaches can't teach alleged professional football players how to tackle, then we ain't got a hope in hell of making the playoffs. If we are not sound with the fundamentals, it don't matter what scheme or 4-3 vs 3-4, or gap responsibilities we have. Let's build a solid foundation before erecting the building. From what I have seen in the preseason, the fundamentals are missing.

hawaiiansteeler
08-30-2015, 09:58 PM
If our coaches can't teach alleged professional football players how to tackle, then we ain't got a hope in hell of making the playoffs. If we are not sound with the fundamentals, it don't matter what scheme or 4-3 vs 3-4, or gap responsibilities we have. Let's build a solid foundation before erecting the building. From what I have seen in the preseason, the fundamentals are missing.

$$$

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-film-room-shoddy-tackling-major-issue-vs-buffalo/