PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers' Martavis Bryant facing 4-game suspension for substance abuse

tube517
08-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Report: Steelers' Martavis Bryant facing 4-game suspension for substance abuse violation
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/817649
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Now I am pissed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 01:50 PM
What the fuck....I am shocked

Coates need to be ready.....

Drazo85
08-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Flush first two games down the pipelines.

polamalubeast
Steelers’ Martavis Bryant appealing substance-abuse suspension

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/steelers-martavis-bryant-appealing-substance-abuse-suspension/

vasteeler
why havent we heard anything about this until now. seams suspicious to me

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Flush first two games down the pipelines.

No....The patriots will maybe be without Brady and the 49ers will be horrible

Drazo85
08-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Now that's a relief. 😉

TD's & Beer
08-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Go Sammie!

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/146/816/6_3816146.jpg

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 02:00 PM
"ZOMG! Tomlin's lost this team!" in 5,4,3,2,1...

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 02:03 PM
"ZOMG! Tomlin's lost this team!" in 5,4,3,2,1...

It would have never happened with Cowher!!:rolleyes::rofl2:

:sarcasm:

TD's & Beer
08-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong - but wouldn't a 4 game suspension mean he's already failed a previous drug test?

Polamalu Princess
08-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Our players need to get cleaned up on the field and on a personal level. Not to mention the terrible injuries. Geez.

Count Steeler
08-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Shocking. Well not really. Let's see if the appeal reveals anything worthwhile.

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Martavis Bryant is facing a 4-game suspension for violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, per Adam Schefter. Note that this is under the substance abuse provisions, not performance-enhancing drugs, which would involve a suspension earlier. Under the substance abuse provisions, a player does not get to a 4-game suspension until his first positive test or offense after being moved to what is called to Stage II of the program (and the player must have had a prior positive test or offense to get moved there).

According to Schefter, Bryant is appealing. The second-year wide receiver had 8 touchdowns last year in the seasons final 10 games, and is widely considered one of the best breakout candidates for this year. Keep in mind the potential for 4 missed games when entering your draft, if you are doing so this weekend.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/27/martavis-bryant-facing-4-game-suspension-for-violation-of-nfl-substance-abuse-policy/

steel striker
08-27-2015, 02:43 PM
I can hear it all ready the sky is falling!

steelreserve
08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Dude. Seriously?

JoeyPorter55
08-27-2015, 03:38 PM
The season hasn't even started yet and already the amount of bad news has been overwhelming. With our luck our trio (Ben/Brown/Bell) is going to suffer some kind of major setback

ALLD
08-27-2015, 03:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13525634/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-violates-substance-abuse-policy-gets-4-game-ban

ESPN.com
Shares
Email
Print
Comment
Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant is facing a four-game suspension, pending an appeal, for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Bryant found the end zone in 2014

Last season Martavis Bryant had more touchdown catches than any Steelers rookie since Louis Lipps in 1984.
TDS
Louis Lipps, 1984 9
Martavis Bryant, 2014 8
Eric Green, 1990 6
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Bryant, a fourth-round selection in the 2014 draft out of Clemson, caught 26 passes for 549 yards and eight touchdowns during his rookie season with the Steelers.

Last year, Bryant was only the second rookie receiver since 1995 to gain more than 20 yards per reception (minimum 25 catches). Kenny Stills also accomplished the feat in 2013 with the Saints.

salamander
08-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm curious as to how we haven't heard anything regarding this prior to today......

tube517
08-27-2015, 03:47 PM
He needs to change his jersey number.

ALLD
08-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Some kids will never learn. Million dollar athlete with a 25 cent brain.

steelreserve
08-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Some kids will never learn. Million dollar athlete with a 25 cent brain.

:joint::retire:

JoeyPorter55
08-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Let's sign Wes Welker to a 1 year deal!!!!!!!!

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 04:56 PM
I am still upset by this news.

I hope the steelers will survive the first 2-4 games.

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 05:01 PM
I also hope that Roethlisberger will be right about Markus Wheaton.

Wheaton has had a very good game against GB too

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong - but wouldn't a 4 game suspension mean he's already failed a previous drug test?

1st failed test = entered into the program

2nd failed test = Fine

3rd failed test = 4 game susp.

4th failed test = 1 year ban

close to entering Josh Gordon like waters

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Seriously???? WTF Bryant? F'ing dumb ass! He's already screwing up a promising career.

And why is it 4 games? I thought that 4 games was for the second offense? The first offense was supposed to be 1 game. Was this changed last year when some of the other punishments were changed?

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2015, 05:33 PM
I find it really hard to believe that a second year player has already failed 3 drug tests. What a f'ing idiot if true.

This just pisses me off.

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 05:35 PM
I stand corrected , the Policy has changed !

it now looks even worse on Bryant IF it was because of weed

Marijuana discipline: The punishment for a positive test is also changing. As is the case now, a first-time offense lands the player in the substance abuse program without a suspension. The primary difference is the punishment for a second positive test: simply a two-game fine. Each additional violation receives the following progressive discipline: four-game fine, four-game suspension, 10-game suspension. A player can therefore test positive for marijuana three times without getting suspended.

however if it was Peds first time caught can get you 4 games

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Marijuana discipline: The punishment for a positive test is also changing. As is the case now, a first-time offense lands the player in the substance abuse program without a suspension. The primary difference is the punishment for a second positive test: simply a two-game fine. Each additional violation receives the following progressive discipline: four-game fine, four-game suspension, 10-game suspension. A player can therefore test positive for marijuana three times without getting suspended.

Unless if you play for the Seahawks.

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Unless if you play for the Seahawks.

CAN being the critical word , but spot on in your rebuttal

steelreserve
08-27-2015, 05:42 PM

I'm thinking that's more likely in this case. You would have to have a brain the size of a walnut to get busted for weed that many times in your first year-plus in the league.

Look for the statement from his agent blaming it on Adderall, and then you can be sure it was steroids or HGH.

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 06:05 PM
So @RapSheet (https://twitter.com/RapSheet) says #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) Martavis Bryant was suspended for testing positive for marijuana multiple times

NCSteeler
08-27-2015, 06:27 PM
These dumbasses can't stay off the weed. He'll be outta the league in two years if he's already hit three positives. Could it be he had a draft positive so he was escalated up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 06:28 PM
So @RapSheet (https://twitter.com/RapSheet) says #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) Martavis Bryant was suspended for testing positive for marijuana multiple times

stupid

polamalubeast
08-27-2015, 06:42 PM
I can not believe the players can be so stupid sometimes.So stupid, he could lose several millions of money if he continues to be idiot like Josh Gordon.

I'm upset because it hurts the team.

Bryant could have a redemption and be dominant on the field like Le'Veon Bell last year, but for now, I hope the steelers will survive without Bryant and Bell for the first 2-4 games.

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm thinking that's more likely in this case. You would have to have a brain the size of a walnut to get busted for weed that many times in your first year-plus in the league.

his new nickname: Martavis 'Walnut Brain" Bryant"

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 06:56 PM
4 positives in just over a year in the league , costing him nearly 40% of his yearly salary does anyone think he has learned a lesson ?

I will believe it when he proves it

steelerdude15
08-27-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm already tired of the fans who are taking this issue too far and this was just announced hours ago. I mean, some fans are acting like the Steelers are the only team to have a player suspended for drugs. Plus, there are fans who are blaming Tomlin and saying this is his fault. How is this Tomlin's fault when Martavis is a grown person who's more than capable of making his own decisions and Steelers were getting arrested when Cowher was head coach?

On a side note, I'm not going to lie, I'm not happy about this. Martavis shouldn't be doing whatever he is doing that got him in trouble, but I hope he learns from this and becomes a better person from it.

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:03 PM
What makes it laughable is that probably 98% of the players in the league spark up on a regular basis. He's just dumb enough to have gotten caught...repeatedly.

steelerdude15
08-27-2015, 07:03 PM

It is was PEDS, then the NFL would have announced it was a PEDS suspension and not a substance abuse suspension.

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 07:04 PM
On a side note, I'm not going to lie, I'm not happy about this. Martavis shouldn't be doing whatever he is doing that got him in trouble, but I hope he learns from this and becomes a better person from it.

Maryjanetavis Bryant better learn really soon because his next positive test will mean a 10 game suspension...

steelerdude15
08-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Bryant better learn really soon because his next positive test will mean a 10 game suspension...

Lets hope he does.

Mojouw
08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Gotta figure the team knew about the prior failed tests. Sure makes the Coates pick make a ton more sense.

Craic
08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Too many young athletes (and people) think it's all right, it's just weed. And then, they realize too late that yes, you can get addicted to it. Yes, you can ruin your career with it. And yes, you can throw away what could very well have been a great life.

--and for those who are about to jump up and say "it's not addictive!" let me give you the scientific sources.

Anthony J, Warner LA, Kessler RC. Comparative epidemiology of dependence on tobacco, alcohol, controlled substances, and inhalants: basic findings from the National Comorbidity Survey. Experimental Clinical Psychopharmacology. 1994;2:244–268.

Lopez-Quintero C, Pérez de los Cobos J, Hasin DS, et al. Probability and predictors of transition from first use to dependence on nicotine, alcohol, cannabis, and cocaine: results of the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). Drug and Alcohol Dependency 2011;115(1-2):120-130.

Hall W, Degenhardt L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet. 2009;374:1383–1391.

Hall W. The adverse health effects of cannabis use: what are they, and what are their implications for policy? International Journal of Drug Policy. 2009;20:458–466.

dislocatedday
08-27-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm speechless. 4 failed drug tests for weed in just over a year in the NFL means he is on the fast track out of the league. He has cost himself major $$$ now and in the future. I can't see a team, much less the Steelers, handing him a big 2nd contract with the situation he has put himself in now.

The Sammie Coates pick in the 3rd round makes even more sense to me now. I did not think it was a bad pick at the time, just kind of a luxury pick. I'm sure the Steelers knew what was going on behind the scenes with Bryant though.

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
NFL slated to start the season with more than 30 players suspended

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 27, 2015

The NFL has suspended more than 30 players this offseason.

Our NFL 2015 suspension tracker currently has the names of 34 players on it, with the possibility that more suspensions could still be coming.

It’s still possible that some suspensions could be overturned. Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant is still appealing his four-game substance-abuse suspension, while Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is still going through the courts to battle his four-game Deflategate suspension.

The two longest suspensions handed down this offseason were the 16-game bans given to Browns receiver Josh Gordon and Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan. Some of the suspended players are little-known free agents who likely wouldn’t play in Week One anyway, but some of the noteworthy suspensions include six games for 49ers receiver Jerome Simpson, four games for Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, four games for Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson, four games for Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain, four games for Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy, two games for Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell, one game for Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount and one game for Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

In all, players have been suspended for a cumulative 159 games for the 2015 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/nfl-slated-to-start-the-season-with-more-than-30-players-suspended/

tube517
08-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I am on vacation and could care less about work. But the Pouncey injury Vick signing and Bongtavious news makes me think I should never go on vacation again. Bongtavious should burn that # 10 jersey

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm speechless. 4 failed drug tests for weed in just over a year in the NFL means he is on the fast track out of the league. He has cost himself major $$$ now and in the future. I can't see a team, much less the Steelers, handing him a big 2nd contract with the situation he has put himself in now.

Unless he puts down the bong immediately and doesn't touch it again until his playing career is over, I'm inclined to agree.

86WARD
08-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Lol. Great news. DaFuq...

steelreserve
08-27-2015, 07:23 PM
It was for weed after all? Getting busted 4 times in one season? That dude has to be one of the biggest idiots in the entire history of marijuana. Not even crackheads get busted that often.

Count Steeler
08-27-2015, 07:27 PM
It was for weed after all? Getting busted 4 times in one season? That dude has to be one of the biggest idiots in the entire history of marijuana. Not even crackheads get busted that often.

Surprised we haven't heard anything about it until now. Wonder if Bell has any other busts? I think this is one area that the NFL has to change their policy. The US in general is moving towards legalization, and it is already legal in some states. So why bust their players? As long as they are not high on game day.

86WARD
08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I am on vacation and could care less about work. But the Pouncey injury Vick signing and Bongtavious news makes me think I should never go on vacation again. Bongtavious should burn that # 10 jersey

Lol. On vacation too...feel the same.

lipps83
08-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Surprised we haven't heard anything about it until now. Wonder if Bell has any other busts? I think this is one area that the NFL has to change their policy. The US in general is moving towards legalization, and it is already legal in some states. So why bust their players? As long as they are not high on game day.

Out of touch old dudes with antiquated ideas based on BS scare tactics from the 1930's make the rules.

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:38 PM

Living in one of the states that has fully legalized recreational marijuana (Colorado), that is still an issue that is being hotly debated as far as workplaces go. Employers are still well within their rights here to perform UAs on employees/prospective employees and fire/not hire them if they test dirty for THC.

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 07:39 PM
10 games worth of pay he has given up . and he has played exactly 10 meaningful games

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Out of touch old dudes with antiquated ideas based on BS scare tactics from the 1930's make the rules.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HmL5k0mI4to/U49X3RWbj6I/AAAAAAAAiPA/K0MZu9erIiQ/s1600/reefermadness.gif

:chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Living in one of the states that has fully legalized recreational marijuana (Colorado), that is still an issue that is being hotly debated as far as workplaces go. Employers are still well within their rights here to perform UAs on employees/prospective employees and fire/not hire them if they test dirty for THC.

Just as you would not want somebody drunk at work, you shouldn't be stoned either. If you can't produce, you should be fired/not hired.

86WARD
08-27-2015, 07:48 PM
These guys never learn...

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Just as you would not want somebody drunk at work, you shouldn't be stoned either. If you can't produce, you should be fired/not hired.

I'm for the legalization of marijuana (don't smoke it myself) but I agree 100%. If something is affecting your ability to do your job at an adequate level, then you should be fired. It doesn't matter what it is.

I really don't think that the NFL has any more business suspending players for smoking weed than they do for drinking alcohol. It really should be left up to the team to decide. Yes, I know that it's still illegal in most states, but the NFL is becoming too much of a policing body.

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:51 PM

True, but alcohol is out of your bloodstream the next day. THC is traceable for several weeks (or longer if the person smokes it regularly). And if they do a hair follicle test, you can pretty much up that to a year or more as far as THC detection goes.

Ironic that I live in Colorado, though. I often think about all those years I smoked the gange (and I used to smoke a LOT when I was in my 20s), living with the worry of being ripped off or getting stopped by a cop on the way home with a particularly pungent bag reeking up the whole car (among the various other possible pitfalls that used to come with scoring an eighth or quarter). And now that it's legal and on every other block there's a "dispensary" where I could walk right in and buy it like a pack of cigarettes at a 7-11, I have absolutely no desire to even touch it anymore. :chuckle:

Shoes
08-27-2015, 08:23 PM
That's how you help you offense after loosing one of the best centers in the NFL. Didn't this bird brain just get an award before last weeks Packer game?

vindrow
08-27-2015, 09:02 PM
In the immortal words of Fred Sanford:

http://i.imgur.com/YvFGJDX.jpg

86WARD
08-27-2015, 10:10 PM
That's how you help you offense after loosing one of the best centers in the NFL. Didn't this bird brain just get an award before last weeks Packer game?

Lost best center and missing best RB for two games. Smartavis

teegre
08-27-2015, 10:30 PM
I was going to start opposite AB... but, then I got high.

I was going to have a breakout year... but, then I got high.

Now I'm going to miss 4 games, and I know why-yiy.

Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high-igh.

tube517
08-27-2015, 11:04 PM
True, but alcohol is out of your bloodstream the next day. THC is traceable for several weeks (or longer if the person smokes it regularly). And if they do a hair follicle test, you can pretty much up that to a year or more as far as THC detection goes.

Ironic that I live in Colorado, though. I often think about all those years I smoked the gange (and I used to smoke a LOT when I was in my 20s), living with the worry of being ripped off or getting stopped by a cop on the way home with a particularly pungent bag reeking up the whole car (among the various other possible pitfalls that used to come with scoring an eighth or quarter). And now that it's legal and on every other block there's a "dispensary" where I could walk right in and buy it like a pack of cigarettes at a 7-11, I have absolutely no desire to even touch it anymore. :chuckle:

You can never be too old

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/23500/Marijuana-Smoking--23679.jpg

I absolutely feel the same way. I have no desire to touch the ganja anymore. It's been a long time and I want to keep it that way :heh::heh:

TeeTee
08-27-2015, 11:58 PM
WTF is happening?

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2015, 12:24 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/23778-Report-Steelers-Martavis-Bryant-facing-4-game-suspension-for-substance-abuse

TD's & Beer
08-28-2015, 12:25 AM
What do you want to know?

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Martavis Bryant's four-game suspension is for "multiple failed marijuana tests."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/637038086917128192

katmandu
08-28-2015, 01:58 AM
WTF is happening?Donald Trump is have a news conference tomorrow to discuss the situation.

86WARD
08-28-2015, 06:49 AM
What do you want to know?

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Martavis Bryant's four-game suspension is for "multiple failed marijuana tests."

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/637038086917128192

Stupid is as stupid does - Smartavis.

Does Tomlin lead the organization in players arrested under his "watch"? You would have to think being the day and age and his lack of discipline...right?

dislocatedday
08-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Jersey #10 on the Steelers must be reserved for pot smoking WRs. First Santonio, and now Martavis Bryant.

dislocatedday
08-28-2015, 08:29 AM
I wonder what Bryant's reputation with his teammates is now. He let the entire team down, and I would imagine they are extremely disappointed in him. He really had (maybe still has, but I doubt it) a golden opportunity in front of him, and by all accounts he had worked hard this offseason and was ready to take another step forward in his career. I am hopeful that Sammie Coates can somehow produce somewhere close to Bryant's level last year. I don't have much faith in DHB to be able to pick up the slack.

tube517
08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I have low expectations from DHB. Since Brown and Wheaton were the starters at the beginning of 2014, I am hoping Earl and DeAngelo Hall can help out with the short passing game. Hopefully Goose can hold his own. Ron Mexico will be seen on some 2 pt plays, count on it.

jb500ex
08-28-2015, 09:39 AM
If you don't like the rules of the nfl you can always go get another job

TD's & Beer
08-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Does Tomlin lead the organization in players arrested under his "watch"? You would have to think being the day and age and his lack of discipline...right?

His "Don't be the guy" speech isn't working...they are all over the headlines these days.

But you can't do bedchecks 24/7, and players aren't getting any smarter. Seems a lack of discipline in the locker room where the vet players are supposed to mentor the young guys in the right direction is missing.

ALLD
08-28-2015, 10:51 AM
He is so cool he smoked himself out of four games. He can forget about AB $ because he is one joint away from a 1-yr. suspension next. My bet is he will be traded in the offseason.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2015, 11:49 AM
so how did this multiple failed drugged tests thing come to fruition? Why didnt we know about the previous failed tests? Did they just test the hell out of him and decide to drop the hammer just now to make sure he gets nailed with as harsh of a punishment as possible? wtf...

B&GFever
08-28-2015, 12:10 PM
so how did this multiple failed drugged tests thing come to fruition? Why didnt we know about the previous failed tests? Did they just test the hell out of him and decide to drop the hammer just now to make sure he gets nailed with as harsh of a punishment as possible? wtf...

from my understanding teams are not even privy to test results until it reaches susp. time or player reveals it to them ..

I am sure it is leaked to them but not " officially "

thus why the media does not report it to the public .

this is what I have found on it when I was asking myself the same questions yesterday

steelreserve
08-28-2015, 04:09 PM
He is so cool he smoked himself out of four games. He can forget about AB $ because he is one joint away from a 1-yr. suspension next. My bet is he will be traded in the offseason.

They'll probably keep him until his rookie contract runs out and get what they can out of him, then hope to get a comp pick when he signs somewhere else. I'm still just blown away at the level of stupidity needed to get busted as many times as he has in such a short amount of time.

86WARD
08-28-2015, 09:05 PM
They'll probably keep him until his rookie contract runs out and get what they can out of him, then hope to get a comp pick when he signs somewhere else. I'm still just blown away at the level of stupidity needed to get busted as many times as he has in such a short amount of time.

This...it's what the Steelers do. See Emmanuel Sanders path...that will be Smartavis' path as well...probably exactly...up until the end team...Patriots will make an offer, Steelers will match...for one season. Then he'll go to the Jets.

j-d-s
08-28-2015, 09:56 PM
The opener is probably going to be the game with the most suspended players ever.

Wonder when Harrison will get his next fine.

steelreserve
08-28-2015, 10:00 PM
This...it's what the Steelers do. See Emmanuel Sanders path...that will be Smartavis' path as well...probably exactly...up until the end team...Patriots will make an offer, Steelers will match...for one season. Then he'll go to the Jets.

That was amazing, I almost typed "then hope to get a comp pick when he signs with the Jets," but for some reason I erased it and went generic. Ahh, that will be funny when it happens.

86WARD
08-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Lol. Must be some truth to it....

hawaiiansteeler
08-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Every big play by Bryant makes me sad. Dude is uncoverable. #Steelers

Martavis Bryant is going to look at how well he played and realize how badly he's screwing his team in reg season. Hope it opens his eyes.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

B&GFever
08-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Looked like the leagues best WR today , going to hard to replace him , uncoverable today

Godfather
08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Dangit, Martavis.

I don't care if you like the wacky weed. But the NFL does care. Lay off it so you can be on the field.

KillerBs
08-29-2015, 07:32 PM
I am opting for PED's http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/07/Steelers-receiver-Martavis-Bryant-enters-second-season-with-a-new-look/stories/201506070103

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Steeldude
08-30-2015, 08:16 AM
What was the substance?

BigNastyDefense
08-30-2015, 08:33 AM
First: I am not going to believe a thing that Rappaport reports. This is the same idiot that's insisted the Ben was going to demand a trade, that Tomlin/Rooneys didn't want him and we're going to trade him/that the Steelers were not going to resign him and let him walk as a free agent. And I think he was also the jagoff reporting that AB was going to be a holdout for a new contract.

Second: The fact that there was nothing about it after yesterday's game from either Tomlin or Bryant is due to the fact that he's appealing the suspension and seems to have a strong case from what I've read. He's been insistent that he has not failed multiple drug tests. One thing I read is that the antibiotic that he took for his elbow caused him to fail the test, and if this is true then he should win the appeal.

I'll wait until the appeal is heard and see what happens there. There's a chance the suspension gets shortened or even overturned.

BigNastyDefense
08-30-2015, 09:29 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2015/8/28/9218621/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-nfls-substance-abuse-policies-martavis-bryant-steelers

Pretty good article on it.

stillers4me
08-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Said Antonio Brown never......

lipps83
08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Heck yeah he can be. If anyone remembers, the Steelers offense didn't start clicking until he was a part of it.

PPG before Bryant = 20.6. PPG after Bryant = 31.2

Not a coincidence.

Cyphon25
08-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Bryant has the physical stature to be one of the best but the mind and actual skills aren't even close yet. Dude has to mature fast and tighten up his all-around game.

ALLD
08-30-2015, 12:17 PM
He needs to pay somebody to bunk with him 24/7 to keep him out of trouble.

Mojouw
08-30-2015, 06:28 PM
This whole thing doesn't smell right.

The silence from the team and league. Bryant's repeated assertions that he is not guilty, etc.

I'm going to wait and see...something really seems off with this one.

Count Steeler
08-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Might have been a ploy to silence the Vick signing?

86WARD
08-30-2015, 07:52 PM
This whole thing doesn't smell right.

The silence from the team and league. Bryant's repeated assertions that he is not guilty, etc.

I'm going to wait and see...something really seems off with this one.

I tend to agree. Something doesn't seem right...nothing came out about him testing positive multiple times before this?

steelerdude15
08-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I tend to agree. Something doesn't seem right...nothing came out about him testing positive multiple times before this?

The NFL doesn't have to release that information until a player is suspended.

86WARD
08-30-2015, 08:18 PM
The NFL doesn't have to release that information until a player is suspended.

True...but that info always leaks in one form or another...

Mojouw
08-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Well. It seems I was way off. Still seems odd that Bryant is up to 4 positive tests. That means that between say July of this year and the draft last year (just over a year) he tested positive 4 times. NFL was testing him an average of every 3 months? That seems kinda messed up. OF course the NFL got Gordon out the league in the same way. Testing him almost constantly.

No matter how you slice it, Bryant is not coming out of this situation looking very smart.

fansince'76
08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Well. It seems I was way off. Still seems odd that Bryant is up to 4 positive tests. That means that between say July of this year and the draft last year (just over a year) he tested positive 4 times. NFL was testing him an average of every 3 months? That seems kinda messed up. OF course the NFL got Gordon out the league in the same way. Testing him almost constantly.

No matter how you slice it, Bryant is not coming out of this situation looking very smart.

I was under the impression that you become a target for (much) more frequent UAs if you get popped once(?) :noidea:

Martavis: GOLDEN SEAL and lots and lots of water. Look into it.

zulater
08-31-2015, 05:17 PM

He's an addict period. Unless he comes to grips with the fact that he can't smoke weed again he's destined to repeat the offense and smoke himself out of the league. I hope I'm wrong. This guy has the talent to be the best deep threat in the league. But just the fact that he has yet to own this tells me this guy is a drug addicted loser. I hope I'm wrong. But as of now I hope the Steelers look at this guy as a non entity until he proves his focus is in the right place and he's willing to admit he's addicted to grass. Gun to my head right now I say this guy plays out the year as a Steeler and gets cut at seasons end.

Mojouw
08-31-2015, 05:23 PM
I was under the impression that you become a target for (much) more frequent UAs if you get popped once(?) :noidea:

Martavis: GOLDEN SEAL and lots and lots of water. Look into it.

I think Martavis is not the smartest of cats. I doubt he could follow the instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

He's an addict period. Unless he comes to grips with the fact that he can't smoke weed again he's destined to repeat the offense and smoke himself out of the league. I hope I'm wrong. This guy has the talent to be the best deep threat in the league. But just the fact that he has yet to own this tells me this guy is a drug addicted loser. I hope I'm wrong. But as of now I hope the Steelers look at this guy as a non entity until he proves his focus is in the right place and he's willing to admit he's addicted to grass. Gun to my head right now I say this guy plays out the year as a Steeler and gets cut at seasons end.

Sounds about right. The only thing that MAY change that is he explodes in Weeks 5-17 OR something else comes to light about the positive tests that creates a mitigating factor. I have no idea what, but wouldn't be the first guy that got popped for drugs and then it turns out it was all kind of sketchy.

Although, nothing in Bryant's actions or words has indicated this is the case. I think you are right ZU, and dude just smokes a ton of weed.

hawaiiansteeler
08-31-2015, 05:28 PM
Gun to my head right now I say this guy plays out the year as a Steeler and gets cut at seasons end.

I think the only scenario where this would happen is if Maryjanetavis is popped again and gets himself a 10-game suspension.

Cyphon25
08-31-2015, 05:35 PM
I think the only scenario where this would happen is if Maryjanetavis is popped again and gets himself a 10-game suspension.

Yeah it is going to be hard for them to walk away from that potential.

zulater
08-31-2015, 05:58 PM

Which given what we know right now is as likely to happen as any other scenario you can imagine.

Again I hope like hell Martavis turns himself around and proves me wrong. But seeing as how he's apparently tested positive multiple times in the short time he's been in the league. This all despite the fact that he should have been aware that his draft status (thus his money) was adversely affected by character concerns from his college days. Then what should make any of us think he's going to "get it" now?

clemdawg
09-03-2015, 05:49 AM
He's gonna hurt us. LEAVE THE CRAP ALONE!!

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Vis
09-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Pot is rampant in the NFL but so is pain. I have no doubt it helps and is safer than so many legal options but while it's against the rules getting popped 4 times before your second year is darwinism weeding (see what I did there?) out the stupid.

fansince'76
09-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Pot is rampant in the NFL...

Which is what makes the whole thing even more laughable. The misguided attempts to "clean up the game" by penalizing certain players for something 98% of the rest of the league does (and probably on a regular basis) are a joke. I can see it for PEDs, but weed? Please.

TD's & Beer
09-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Pot is rampant in the NFL

no wonder

Marijuana Supersedes Cigarette Smoking Among College Students, Study Finds

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/Marijuana-Cigarette-Smoking-Among-College-Students-Study-323574201.html

The percentage of daily and near-daily pot users from the 2014 survey was the highest ever recorded.

More U.S. college students are making a habit of using marijuana, which has supplanted cigarettes as the smoke-able substance of choice among undergraduates who light up regularly.

Just under 6 percent of the full-time students surveyed by University of Michigan researchers for the annual "Monitoring the Future" study reported using pot either every day or at least 20 times in the previous 30 days.

By contrast, 5 percent of respondents identified themselves as heavy cigarette smokers, a steep decline from the 19 percent who said they smoked daily in 1999. The findings suggest that teenagers and young adults have absorbed public health warnings about the dangers of cigarettes but increasingly regard marijuana as benign or carrying few risks

tube517
09-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Ryan Clark talked about it (Pot use) amongst the Steelers, last year.

TD's & Beer
09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I don't think most people realize that smoking weed in the NFL is a common occurrence, just don't do it before the annual test.

Basically, a player not in the program needs to stop smoking on or about March 20 and to quit until after taking his once-per-year test. After that, it’s smoke ’em if you got ’em until the next March 20.

Players not in the substance-abuse program are subject to one test per year, from April 20 through August 9.

After submitting to that one test per year, a player can smoke at will.

That’s how Aaron Hernandez managed to chain-smoke marijuana (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/05/aaron-hernandez-knew-that-beating-nfl-drug-tests-is-easy/). He stopped long enough before April 20 to let the metabolites exit his system, and then once he gave a sample it was time to crack open the turkey bag..

The only other risk comes from getting arrested for marijuana possession, having a joint fall out of a player’s jacket in the presence of a league official, and/or admitting publicly to smoking marijuana.

Once in the program, testing can happen up to 10 times per month. Which means up to 120 times per year. As opposed to the one test per year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/marijuana-testing-window-opens-today/

86WARD
09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Well Smartavius is screwed. The thought of his talents on the roster across from Brown were nice while the lasted...

lipps83
09-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Which is what makes the whole thing even more laughable. The misguided attempts to "clean up the game" by penalizing certain players for something 98% of the rest of the league does (and probably on a regular basis) are a joke. I can see it for PEDs, but weed? Please.

Exactly. Smoking weed has no impact on the game whatsoever. PED use does.

As far as pain management, I would rather see someone smoke a joint to help them relax and relieve a bit of pain instead of getting addicted to legal pain killers, which is okay by NFL rules.

steelreserve
09-03-2015, 11:00 AM
I don't think most people realize that smoking weed in the NFL is a common occurrence, just don't do it before the annual test.

Basically, a player not in the program needs to stop smoking on or about March 20 and to quit until after taking his once-per-year test. After that, it’s smoke ’em if you got ’em until the next March 20.

Players not in the substance-abuse program are subject to one test per year, from April 20 through August 9.

After submitting to that one test per year, a player can smoke at will.

Wait, the day they start drug testing is 4/20? Either that's the biggest ironic coincidence in the history of marijuana, or someone has a twisted sense of humor.

TD's & Beer
09-03-2015, 11:02 AM
I knew somebody would catch that

fansince'76
09-03-2015, 12:30 PM
The NFLPA needs to appeal it to federal court on his behalf. The floodgates have been opened.

TD's & Beer
09-03-2015, 01:02 PM
The NFLPA needs to appeal it to federal court on his behalf. The floodgates have been opened.

Snoop says NFL should overturn all the weed cases

https://instagram.com/p/7LJ5c7v9CE/

teegre
09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Snoop says NFL should overturn all the weed cases

https://instagram.com/p/7LJ5c7v9CE/

He's right.

What Brady did, violated the CBA... but, not the law.

What Le'Veon Bell did, violated the CBA... but, not the law.

What Martavis Bryant did, violated the CBA... but, not the law.

In all sincerity, all three should play on Thursday... or, none of them should.

ALLD
09-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Bell got a DUI. Last time I checked that was against the law.

teegre
09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Bell got a DUI. Last time I checked that was against the law.

Right... my bad.

I forgot that that was what he was suspended for (DUI) as opposed to being caught with drugs (substance abuse).

j-d-s
09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Wait, the day they start drug testing is 4/20? Either that's the biggest ironic coincidence in the history of marijuana, or someone has a twisted sense of humor.

Um, which is the coincidence with that? Only thing I know about 4/20 is that Hitler was born on that day, but he has no connection to weed.

Count Steeler
09-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Um, which is the coincidence with that? Only thing I know about 4/20 is that Hitler was born on that day, but he has no connection to weed.

April 20th has become a counterculture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterculture) holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday) in North America, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis.

read more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

tube517
09-03-2015, 04:52 PM
If Le'Veon has a 4.20 rushing average, I'm calling his momma.

TeeTee
09-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Maybe no connection to weed, but def. a connection to drugs. It turns out Hitler was usually higher than a kite all day long. He was hopped up on HGH, Meth and a whole load of crap. His doc had to shoot him with all kinds of junk before he even got out of bed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/10/14/hitler-drugs-crystal-meth/17242185/