PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: On Giving Vick a Second Chance

teegre
08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Here is my latest article on The Point of Pittsburgh.

On Giving Michael Vick a Second Chance
by Tiger Rowan

Pulverized dog corpses strewn about in puddles of congealed blood.

Understandably, that is the visual that comes to mind whenever someone mentions the name Michael Vick. Dog owners worldwide have condemned him. Comedians have used him as a punchline. To the average non-football-fan on the street, “dead dogs” is about all that they know about the man.

So when the Steelers signed Michael Vick yesterday, the immediate reaction for many Steelers fans was ire...

Keep reading here:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/on-giving-michael-vick-a-second-chance/

Feel free to pass it along to anyone who might be interested... or, who might need help calming down.

Count Steeler
08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
That said, let me interject the following. More important than serving a penance, Michael Vick did something that is rarely seen in today’s “me first/selfie” world: Vick took full responsibility for what he did. He did not blame anyone else, he did not try to spin what he did, and he did not make excuses. For several years, on radio and television, I have heard Vick talk about what he has done, and never once has he run from it. Michael Vick has repeatedly looked at America and stated: “I did something bad, and I will never do it again. Will you please forgive me?”

It is time to let this go. Good read teegre.

teegre
08-26-2015, 02:46 PM
It is time to let this go. Good read teegre.

Indeed. It has been nearly a decade... plus, he's paid his penance.

(Thanks)

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Excellent!

- - - Updated - - -

If Ben, who is an avid dog lover and heads a foundation to provide money for police dogs, equipment and training can get past it, then the fans need to get their heads out of their bee-hinds and Get. Over. It.

Shoes
08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Good read. Yet it still amazes me that Vick continues to get demonized after paying dearly for his error. Maybe more so than Rice and Peterson for beating humans. But that doesn't surprise me.

teegre
08-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Excellent!

- - - Updated - - -

If Ben, who is an avid dog lover and heads a foundation to provide money for police dogs, equipment and training can get past it, then the fans need to get their heads out of their bee-hinds and Get. Over. It.

Thanks.

Ben's police dogs versus Michael Vick. That sounds like a good idea for a meme. :lol:

steel striker
08-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Vick did his and paid dearly for his crime and, at some point you have to move on. From everything that I have heard he has turned his life around.

teegre
08-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Vick did his and paid dearly for his crime and, at some point you have to move on. From everything that I have heard he has turned his life around.

Exactly.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom. I truly believe that Vick is a far better person now than he was a decade ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Good read. Yet it still amazes me that Vick continues to get demonized after paying dearly for his error. Maybe more so than Rice and Peterson for beating humans. But that doesn't surprise me.

You are not far off.

There re was a psychology study done a few years back, where they showed people a movie; people would become irate if they showed a dog get killed, but these same people had almost no response to a human getting killed. Of course, a movie is different that real life, but there is a degree of overlap.

Simply, people have a warm spot for dogs.

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 04:10 PM
He already had a second chance. He did well with it. Time to move on. Not just because he's on our team now; personally, I've been saying this for years.

Let me put it this way ... remember what you were doing in 2007? Is it safe to say you're exactly the same person today, doing all the exact same things with the same exact outlook on life? If you are, I feel bad for you.

GBMelBlount
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Exactly.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom. I truly believe that Vick is a far better person now than he was a decade ago.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not far off.

There re was a psychology study done a few years back, where they showed people a movie; people would become irate if they showed a dog get killed, but these same people had almost no response to a human getting killed. Of course, a movie is different that real life, but there is a degree of overlap.

Even after they leave warm spots on the carpet!

teegre
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
He already had a second chance. He did well with it. Time to move on. Not just because he's on our team now; personally, I've been saying this for years.

Let me put it this way ... remember what you were doing in 2007? Is it safe to say you're exactly the same person today, doing all the exact same things with the same exact outlook on life? If you are, I feel bad for you.

Exactly.

Similarly, for us older persons: Remember what you were like in your mid-20s??? Is there anything that you wish that could have done differently? Did you make mistakes? How many scars do you have???

When I think about my early 20s... yikes!!! ...I'm glad that I am who I am now (as opposed to who I was back then).

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Exactly.

Similarly, for us older persons: Remember what you were like in your mid-20s??? Is there anything that you wish that could have done differently? Did you make mistakes? How many scars do you have???

When I think about my early 20s... yikes!!! ...I'm glad that I am who I am now (as opposed to who I was back then).
http://d236bkdxj385sg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Thug-Life-500x450.jpg

:lol:

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 04:56 PM

https://abtrtimes.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dog.jpg

:chuckle:

Steelerschik
08-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Excellent!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. I love dogs more than people most of the time, but come on. I can get by his past crime by knowing he did time for it and can't own another dog (I think that was a stipulation and if it wasn't it should be). Business move - nothing more. I love the Steelers way more than I hate this signing so it's all good. I mean come on, Ben is still and will always be called a rapist by fans who don't know their head from their ass. That's what sucks about a stigmata, it never dies no matter what that person has done to better themselves or how much time goes by.

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Vick talks about joining the Steelers..
http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?bcpid=1403117306001&bckey=AQ~~,AAABAWGN-5E~,qpDkffrm8g8Gb3FcY-LgpN3iS3KJUKdd&bctid=4445631839001

TD's & Beer
08-26-2015, 06:04 PM
oh fer fucks sake...enough

All pitt bulls should be killed, put them out of their misery - not one child's disfigured face is worth the life of one of these mutts anyway. They are bred to fight.

They should be all shot on sight, it's the humane thing to do...and that would eliminate all these idiots trying to sell their fighting dogs by breeding millions more

hey, you wanted a solution

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
oh fer fucks sake...enough

All pitt bulls should be killed, put them out of their misery - not one child's disfigured face is worth the life of one of these mutts anyway. They are bred to fight.

They should be all shot on sight, it's the humane thing to do...and that would eliminate all these idiots trying to sell their fighting dogs by breeding millions more

hey, you wanted a solution
:lol: Best thing I've read about the subject all day.

TD's & Beer
08-26-2015, 06:43 PM
:lol: Best thing I've read about the subject all day.

A little karma hit could go a long way...I don't work for free

Tit for tat my brothur

Thanks Shoes

tube517
08-26-2015, 08:37 PM

I was complaining about how this new coach won with Cowher's players. Thinking Arians sucks. Thinking Ben is just a game manger, thinking Willie Parker was a 400 carry RB (this fake reference was for you, SR :chuckle:), thinking Ryan Clark was a bust, thinking Alan Faneca had 10 years left

salamander
08-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Vick talks about joining the Steelers..
http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?bcpid=1403117306001&bckey=AQ~~,AAABAWGN-5E~,qpDkffrm8g8Gb3FcY-LgpN3iS3KJUKdd&bctid=4445631839001

Off-topic, but wtf is with that weird hand thing Heyward is holding in the video? :lol:

86WARD
08-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Agree.

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 11:39 PM
I was wondering about that hand thing, too!

teegre
08-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Even after they leave warm spots on the carpet!

:rofl:

teegre
08-27-2015, 10:10 AM
http://d236bkdxj385sg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Thug-Life-500x450.jpg

In San Diego, there is SDSU and there is UCSD.

We'd go to parties at SDSU, and there'd be coeds wearing bikinis, people passing out mugs of beer to you, and entire blocks of houses (dorms) filled with thousands of people. You'd awaken on Saturday in a futon or a lawn chair... and start anew.

One weekend, we went to UCSD to party, and it is as quiet as a mouse. I burst into a rec room, and I ask, "Where is the party at???" This group of guys looks up, and one replies, "It is Friday... so, tonight we are going to get crazy by putting KETCHUP on our mac'n'cheese." He. Was. Dead. Serious.

His name... no joke... Carlton. :rofl:

dduc996
08-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Some women kill there own babies and yet we still love our women.

PLAY BALL !!!

teegre
08-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Off-topic, but wtf is with that weird hand thing Heyward is holding in the video? :lol:

Dafuq???

Really... what the hell is he doing?

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 10:54 PM
In San Diego, there is SDSU and there is UCSD.

We'd go to parties at SDSU, and there'd be coeds wearing bikinis, people passing out mugs of beer to you, and entire blocks of houses (dorms) filled with thousands of people. You'd awaken on Saturday in a futon or a lawn chair... and start anew.

One weekend, we went to UCSD to party, and it is as quiet as a mouse. I burst into a rec room, and I ask, "Where is the party at???" This group of guys looks up, and one replies, "It is Friday... so, tonight we are going to get crazy by putting KETCHUP on our mac'n'cheese." He. Was. Dead. Serious.

His name... no joke... Carlton. :rofl:

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but I probably would have fit in more with the UCSD crew in my late teens. :chuckle:

teegre
08-28-2015, 07:03 AM
I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but I probably would have fit in more with the UCSD crew in my late teens. :chuckle:

Yeah, well... I graduated from UCSD. :doh:

Here's an SDSU vs. UCSD story... My brother graduated from SDSU, and I graduated from UCSD. Every year, the two basketball teams would play an exhibition game, which my brother & I would routinely attend. Alas, for me, it went something like this: SDSU would win 63-6, while playing their third stringers for the entire second half.

What's worse: this is back when SDSU sucked. Today, with Coach Fisher's squads, they'd score 63 by the end of the first quarter.

fansince'76
08-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Yeah, well... I graduated from UCSD. :doh:

Here's an SDSU vs. UCSD story... My brother graduated from SDSU, and I graduated from UCSD. Every year, the two basketball teams would play an exhibition game, which my brother & I would routinely attend. Alas, for me, it went something like this: SDSU would win 63-6, while playing their third stringers for the entire second half.

What's worse: this is back when SDSU sucked. Today, with Coach Fisher's squads, they'd score 63 by the end of the first quarter.

So, essentially, SDSU v. UCSD is kinda like the following(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_sx3ozoXI

teegre
08-31-2015, 02:33 PM
So, essentially, SDSU v. UCSD is kinda like the following(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_sx3ozoXI

That movie was actually a documentary about UCSD. :wink02: