PDA

View Full Version : Gradkowski Has Probably Played His Last Snap With Steelers

polamalubeast
08-26-2015, 07:46 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/gradkowski-has-probably-played-his-last-snap-with-steelers/

86WARD
08-26-2015, 08:38 AM
I said Landry had a better chance at the roster than Gradkowski. Lol.

This just makes it more important for them to find a good QB in the draft and a good veteran back up in the off season. There's no reason to have Vick or Gradkowski on this roster in 2016. I could almost buy Jones if they want to sell it as help to a new back up...if they want to sell it that way, but I would prefer not.

But the way this team operates, I wouldn't be shocked if Gradkowski is around for 3 more seasons...I mean they hung on to Batch and he practically had no arms or legs...

Nadroj 20
08-26-2015, 08:43 AM
When should we draft someone to be Ben's replacement? I guess the real question should be how much longer can Ben play at the level he is playing at?

He is 33 years old and will turn 34 in March. I can see him playing at a high level for AT LEAST 3 more seasons which would put him at 37 at the end of that 3rd season.

I would want the guy we think can be our future QB here with Ben for a few year at least so drafting that person next draft is a possibility.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 08:47 AM
That's what I would like to see as well. The sooner they start the process, the better. I'm pretty sure they'll miss on a couple before they get it right...

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Drafting a QB in the next draft is a throwaway pick.

If he's good enough to replace Ben, best case is there's a quarterback controversy and either he leaves at the end of his rookie contract or Ben leaves a couple years too early. More likely the rookie won't get the chance and will simply leave at the end of his contract.

If he's good enough to be the backup, he'll leave to go elsewhere for the chance at a starting job.

If he's a bust, then we've wasted the pick anyway.

Basically no reason ever to draft a QB unless you think he might compete for the starting job within a year or two. There are plenty of veteran backups who will play for peanuts, and you don't have to worry about any of the above bullshit.

I can't think of one quarterback ever who was not good enough when he came into the league, then somehow became good by sitting on the bench and "developing" for a couple years behind the starter. They don't need to do that. All the ones who are good QBs were good enough when they started. So that's how that line of BS works too.

polamalubeast
08-26-2015, 10:09 AM

If he's good enough to replace Ben, best case is there's a quarterback controversy and either he leaves at the end of his rookie contract or Ben leaves a couple years too early. More likely the rookie won't get the chance and will simply leave at the end of his contract.

If he's good enough to be the backup, he'll leave to go elsewhere for the chance at a starting job.

Basically no reason ever to draft a QB unless you think he might compete for the starting job within a year or two. There are plenty of veteran backups who will play for peanuts, and you don't have to worry about any of the above bullshit.

I can't think of one quarterback ever who was not good enough when he came into the league, then somehow became good by sitting on the bench and "developing" for a couple years behind the starter. They don't need to do that. All the ones who are good QBs were good enough when they started. So that's how that line of BS works too.

I agree....Too early to draft a QB in the first 3 Round.I would not be surprised if Ben still has 5 good years ahead of him

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 10:14 AM
I agree....Too early to draft a QB in the first 3 Round.I would not be surprised if Ben still has 5 good years ahead of him

It's too early to draft a QB in the first 7 rounds if you ask me. Just sign a different veteran backup on a 1-year or 2-year deal again this offseason until we're ready to look for Ben's real replacement.

There is no positive outcome from drafting your backup QBs, and we've shown that way too often, we'll spend 3 extra years dicking around with guys like Dennis Dixon and Landry Jones who don't belong on the roster, simply because we apparently don't want to give up on a draft pick. I'd honestly rather even see them use the pick on a punter and get a good one.

Rotorhead
08-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Well . . . Aaron Rogers is pretty good and he sat behind a QB for a couple years . . . just sayin. I think we could look at getting a replacement for Ben in 2 years.

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Well . . . Aaron Rogers is pretty good and he sat behind a QB for a couple years . . . just sayin. I think we could look at getting a replacement for Ben in 2 years.

I knew someone was going to bring him up, and that one is a perfect example of my point. Rodgers is a guy who was completely ready, and just happened to sit on the bench because there was a good QB in front of him. It didn't ruin him, but I don't think it helped him either. And you saw the mess that happened in Green Bay, with him having to clamor for the starting job, threatening to leave if he doesn't get his shot, Favre retiring, unretiring, being forced out a couple years early ... that one ran the whole gamut. Same thing happened with Montana and Steve Young. Brees and Rivers, although they resolved that one quickly.

I don't think any of those teams made the WRONG move by drafting a QB, because if there's one good enough to be a franchise player, you take him and then sort it out. But you'd better be prepared for him to be the starter no later than his second year, or you're going to have to make a decision you don't want. I don't think Ben's on his way out the door for at least another 4 years, and his contract says 5, so doing it now would be a mistake. And even if we nab a lucky pick in the late rounds, we still run into the mess I mentioned in the other post. Further complicated by the fact that even if Jesus Christ himself showed up standing 6'5" and 240 with a cannon arm, and asked for the QB job, it would be literally impossible to force Ben out for at least 3 of those years because of the huge cap hit we'd take from his signing bonus.

polamalubeast
08-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Rodgers was not ready in its first two years....It was in 2007 than Rodgers started to show its potential.But for the steelers,I would wait in 2017 or 2018 for drafted a QB in the early round.

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 01:09 PM
... and how exactly do you show potential sitting on the bench and throwing less than 10 passes a year? Trust me, it wouldn't have ruined him to start from day one. Might take a year of on-the-job learning to get fully up to speed (like Peyton Manning, etc.) but guys like that are going to be fine.

I do definitely agree with you that 2017 or 2018 is the right time to start looking seriously. My biggest fear there is that since we'll be trying to find a franchise QB with the 19th or 23rd pick in the draft, we end up with Andy Dalton Jr. or Tony Romo Jr. instead of someone like Rodgers.

In hindsight, the Packers were very, very lucky that hardly anyone was looking for a QB that year and allowed a guy who many people thought could go #1 overall to fall to the bottom of the first round.

polamalubeast
08-26-2015, 01:30 PM
and how exactly do you show potential sitting on the bench and throwing less than 10 passes a year?

Preseason....

TeeTee
08-26-2015, 02:09 PM

This is a non subject for at least 3 years, unless Ben gets a really severe injury. Not even worth discussing. Next.

teegre
08-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Trade back in each of the next 2 drafts.

Stockpile several "extra" picks for the 2018 draft.

Use so all of those "extra" picks, in order to move up to the #1 overall spot (and draft the next franchise QB).

**JT Barrett or Kyle Allen

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Our next franchise QB is probably in high school right now. Grade school if we're unlucky.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Not necessarily true. Aaron Rodgers. He sat behind Favre and he sat for three seasons, I believe. Probably the best recent example. Then there was Steve Young...sure he started in the USFL and for the Bucs but he didn't develop until after he sat behind Montana...

katmandu
08-26-2015, 07:47 PM
When should we draft someone to be Ben's replacement? I guess the real question should be how much longer can Ben play at the level he is playing at?

He is 33 years old and will turn 34 in March. I can see him playing at a high level for AT LEAST 3 more seasons which would put him at 37 at the end of that 3rd season.

I would want the guy we think can be our future QB here with Ben for a few year at least so drafting that person next draft is a possibility.Youngwood, Pa's George Blanda played in the NFL until he was 48 Years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda

Blanda retired from pro football in 1976 at the age of 48.

Nadroj 20
08-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Youngwood, Pa's George Blanda played in the NFL until he was 48 Years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda

Blanda retired from pro football in 1976 at the age of 48.

Well Ben will just have to stick around until he is 49 :chuckle:

katmandu
08-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Basically no reason ever to draft a QB unless you think he might compete for the starting job within a year or two. There are plenty of veteran backups who will play for peanuts, and you don't have to worry about any of the above bullshit.We need another Backup QB just like Charlie Batch. Batch did a great job for us as a backup QB.

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Our next franchise QB is probably in high school right now. Grade school if we're unlucky.

Or due to be born about a year or so before Ben hangs 'em up, if our luck with starting QBs holds...

Nadroj 20
08-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I knew someone was going to bring him up, and that one is a perfect example of my point. Rodgers is a guy who was completely ready, and just happened to sit on the bench because there was a good QB in front of him. It didn't ruin him, but I don't think it helped him either. And you saw the mess that happened in Green Bay, with him having to clamor for the starting job, threatening to leave if he doesn't get his shot, Favre retiring, unretiring, being forced out a couple years early ... that one ran the whole gamut. Same thing happened with Montana and Steve Young. Brees and Rivers, although they resolved that one quickly.

I don't think any of those teams made the WRONG move by drafting a QB, because if there's one good enough to be a franchise player, you take him and then sort it out. But you'd better be prepared for him to be the starter no later than his second year, or you're going to have to make a decision you don't want. I don't think Ben's on his way out the door for at least another 4 years, and his contract says 5, so doing it now would be a mistake. And even if we nab a lucky pick in the late rounds, we still run into the mess I mentioned in the other post. Further complicated by the fact that even if Jesus Christ himself showed up standing 6'5" and 240 with a cannon arm, and asked for the QB job, it would be literally impossible to force Ben out for at least 3 of those years because of the huge cap hit we'd take from his signing bonus.

The Colts had to make a choice and they gave up Peyton Manning to get their QB of the future. They wanted Luck to get in there and start right away to get him adjusted to the game. You learn better by doing, not watching someone do it. They couldn't have their "guy" in Luck sit behind Manning for 3 or 4 years because of the controversy involved and they used a number 1 pick to get him. So they told Peyton good luck in Denver and haven't looked back.

I understand there were health concerns around Manning, but even with the successes he has had in Denver in these past few years the Colts would still chose to go with Andrew Luck instead of sticking with Manning. Luck will play 12 more seasons at least and what does Peyton have left, 2?

So I think I agree with you that if we do indeed have to draft a QB to replace Ben, it might be best if Ben is actually GONE when we do it.

Godfather
08-26-2015, 08:32 PM
I would not be surprised if Terry still has 5 good years ahead of him. Let's take Rivera.

FIFY.

- - - Updated - - -

Trade back in each of the next 2 drafts.

Stockpile several "extra" picks for the 2018 draft.

Use so all of those "extra" picks, in order to move up to the #1 overall spot (and draft the next franchise QB).

**JT Barrett or Kyle Allen

Except if there's a can't miss franchise QB, the #1 team isn't going to trade down.

What we should do is wait until we're sure Ben is washed up, then offer him to Dan Snyder for his next three #1 picks :)

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 09:38 PM
So I think I agree with you that if we do indeed have to draft a QB to replace Ben, it might be best if Ben is actually GONE when we do it.

I'd prefer to do it the year before, so if we fuck up we have another chance ... but actually, nevermind, if we draft a QB that highly we'll probably be clinging to hope for at least 3 years even if he obviouslysucks.

Man, the first guy we pick better be a good one.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 09:48 PM
I'd prefer to do it the year before, so if we fuck up we have another chance ... but actually, nevermind, if we draft a QB that highly we'll probably be clinging to hope for at least 3 years even if he obviouslysucks.

Man, the first guy we pick better be a good one.

That's why I say start the process now and if the F it up, there's still time...the longer Landry stays on this roster, the worse it gets...

Mojouw
08-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Bottom line - if you are EVER in position to draft a "franchise" QB - you simply just do it. There is zero way having that asset can hurt you.

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 11:36 PM

I just hope they don't spend another couple decades fucking it up with one schlub QB after another....

86WARD
08-27-2015, 05:15 AM
I just hope they don't spend another couple decades fucking it up with one schlub QB after another....

How they are handling Landry Jones makes me think that they will...

teegre
08-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Except if there's a can't miss franchise QB, the #1 team isn't going to trade down.

What we should do is wait until we're sure Ben is washed up, then offer him to Dan Snyder for his next three #1 picks :)

Let's hope that the team picking first already has a QB.

Heck, we could throw in Polamalu, too... and get the #1s and #2s. :wink02: