PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Steelers sign QB Michael Vick

polamalubeast
08-25-2015, 09:36 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/report-steelers-to-bring-in-qb-michael-vick-for-visit/

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago
Here's one reason Michael Vick is headed to Pittsburgh: Bruce Gradkowski dislocated his left finger and is having surgery today, per source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/636182772210630656

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 09:39 AM
woof woof!

It's about time we looked into a real back-up QB - trickeration on the 2 pts too?

86WARD
08-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Brutal.

Steeldude
08-25-2015, 09:58 AM
woof woof!

It's about time we looked into a real back-up QB - trickeration on the 2 pts too?

I would rather bring Cliff Stoudt out of reitrement.

polamalubeast
08-25-2015, 10:03 AM
You can win a game with Vick(He has won against the steelers last year with the Jets)

This is not the case with Jones.

86WARD
08-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Vick's name has been coming up for years actually...I think this time it actually holds more water, but I'm not thrilled with it. I'd almost rather see a younger guy like Tyler Thigpen...not definite, but I'd bring him in to take a look. The positive out of this is that they aren't confident enough in Jones to give him a #2 role.

steelreserve
Yeah, that's about the end of my enthusiasm for Gradkowski. The backup QB has ONE job, which is to be available, and if you can't do that, then sorry, you're no use to the team.

Say what you want about Vick, but if people are going to defend Landry fkn Jones by saying the backup QB doesn't need to be super-accurate and the backup QB doesn't need to be a star, then they should have absolutely no complaints about this guy. My main concern is whether he can stay healthy.

cold-hard-steel
I don't know about this.Guess you have to do what ya gotta do.Long as he rides the pine and absorbs more splinters than currency,he is a better option @ # 2 than Landwet Jones.

Buckinnuts
08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Be ok for backup. .but keep him out of PNC park on pup night..lol

B&GFever
08-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Vick's name has been coming up for years actually...I think this time it actually holds more water, but I'm not thrilled with it. I'd almost rather see a younger guy like Tyler Thigpen...not definite, but I'd bring him in to take a look. The positive out of this is that they aren't confident enough in Jones to give him a #2 role.

don't look now but Thigpen is 31 .Thigpen is more like a healthy version of Gradkowski an improvisational guy who is the master of the broken play but not great when things go as they are supposed to .

better than Vick ? maybe not when totality of career comes into play but as a 1 game starter at this point , I think there is a great probability of it .

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Who says he can't play? How soon they forget - Vick beat the Steelers last year - humiliated them in fact

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2004654.1415567664!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/new-york-jets.jpg

SteelerFanInStl
08-25-2015, 11:06 AM
You can win a game with Vick(He has won against the steelers last year with the Jets)

This is not the case with Jones.
Yep. Vick can still play. I actually think that he's better than Gradkowski.

steelreserve
08-25-2015, 11:20 AM
I really think most of the anti-Vick sentiment here is based on a caricature. He's so polarizing that everything about him is blown way out of proportion. To hear some people talk, he's never completed a pass in his life and fumbles on every play. In reality, at this stage of his career he's just a QB who makes a few more big plays than average and a few more mistakes than average. For a backup, that's about as good as you're going to get. Most backups just give you the mistakes and no big plays. He's certainly better than all these sad sacks of shit who either have the accuracy and poise of 2005 Tommy Maddox, or can't stay healthy even when they're not playing.

To say Tyler Thigpen is a better option and be even 1% serious is laughable. That guy is terrible even for a backup. He's won ONE game in his entire 7-year career, and his QB rating is under 50. Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Rick Mirer ... all of those guys had far better careers than him. What a joke.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I really think most of the anti-Vick sentiment here is based on a caricature. He's so polarizing that everything about him is blown way out of proportion. To hear some people talk, he's never completed a pass in his life and fumbles on every play. In reality, at this stage of his career he's just a QB who makes a few more big plays than average and a few more mistakes than average. For a backup, that's about as good as you're going to get. .

Well said - and the reality is there's not much else out there. He is by far our best option for a real back-up QB right now. I don't care about the baggage - that's old news. He's not the face of the franchise, people need to get off twitter and find something new to be angry about.

stillers4me
08-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Reading the posts on twitter......fans threatening to send all their Steeler stuff to the Rooney's and never watched him a Steelers game again. See ya bye!

B&GFever
08-25-2015, 12:20 PM
I really think most of the anti-Vick sentiment here is based on a caricature. He's so polarizing that everything about him is blown way out of proportion. To hear some people talk, he's never completed a pass in his life and fumbles on every play. In reality, at this stage of his career he's just a QB who makes a few more big plays than average and a few more mistakes than average. For a backup, that's about as good as you're going to get. Most backups just give you the mistakes and no big plays. He's certainly better than all these sad sacks of shit who either have the accuracy and poise of 2005 Tommy Maddox, or can't stay healthy even when they're not playing.

To say Tyler Thigpen is a better option and be even 1% serious is laughable. That guy is terrible even for a backup. He's won ONE game in his entire 7-year career, and his QB rating is under 50. Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Rick Mirer ... all of those guys had far better careers than him. What a joke.

actually his career rating is 72.5 but I digress http://www.nfl.com/player/tylerthigpen/2507244/careerstats

(http://www.nfl.com/player/tylerthigpen/2507244/careerstats)

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 12:20 PM
lookie here

Why the Steelers should sign Vick as back-up QB

July 31, 2015

Pcture this. You're in your easy-chair, your body is draped from head-to-toe in black and gold and you have nacho cheese dripping off of your chin. That's when you hear it for the first time. You think your hammer, anvil and stirrup are trying to deceive you as these sounds vibrate off of your ear drums, "Now at quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers...Michael Vick".

Discussion on the sports radio station, 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, included speculation being brought about that there may be Steeler interest in the infamous quarterback to don the black and gold as a back-up to Ben Roethlisberger.

The reason for the alarm surrounds concern over the health of Steeler backup quarterback, Bruce Gradkowski. Reports out of Pittsburgh say that Gradkowski has not thrown since the spring due to a sore shoulder. Gradkowski mentioned in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the injury was nothing serious and he may be back throwing in practice in a couple of weeks, but that he wasn't sure. The Steelers started training camp last week with the veteran QB on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.

It seems that Bruce's return is definitely up-in-the-air and adding a veteran arm would definitely be a wise decision based on the lack of depth and experience remaining behind Rothlisberger at the quarterback position. The passers competing for a spot on the roster have a combined zero regular-season snaps.

Landry Jones is hoping to enter his third season holding a clipboard in Pittsburgh. A standout at Oklahoma, the fourth-round pick in 2013 has not thrived against third and fourth-string defenses in exhibition games and may not be long for the Steel City.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-news-times-schedule-tickets-updates/2015/7/31/9079651/why-the-steelers-should-entertain-the-thought-of-bringing-in-michael

fansince'76
08-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Reading the posts on twitter......fans threatening to send all their Steeler stuff to the Rooney's and never watched him a Steelers game again. See ya bye!

He did his time. I don't believe he should ever be able to own another animal as a pet, but that has absolutely nothing to do with football...

steelreserve
08-25-2015, 12:32 PM
actually his career rating is 72.5 but I digress http://www.nfl.com/player/tylerthigpen/2507244/careerstats

(http://www.nfl.com/player/tylerthigpen/2507244/careerstats)

lol, I was looking at the wrong column in the stats, QBR (the new one) instead of rating. My mistake.

Anyway, though - guy still sucks.

zulater
08-25-2015, 12:33 PM
No big deal either way as far as I'm concerned. This team is built for Ben. If he goes down for any significant amount of time the season is through anyway. But can Vick come in and win a game? I suppose. Depending on who and where it is. Could Vick add to your 2 pt. conversion package? I suppose so as well there. So sure why not?

As far as the off the field b.s. I'm a dog lover. But he paid for his crimes and seems to have learned and matured since then. So that shouldn't factor in.

steelreserve
08-25-2015, 12:42 PM
He did his time. I don't believe he should ever be able to own another animal as a pet, but that has absolutely nothing to do with football...

As I recall, when he was signed by the Eagles, people were predicting massive protests and all manner of gloom and doom, and then something like 15 protesters showed up. By now it's only the real die-hards who haven't moved on and found something better to be outraged about. Nobody who threatens to send in all their Steelers gear and never watch a game again is actually going to do that. People talk big on the internet, but show me one who actually follows through when it requires them to do anything and I'll be shocked.

https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/default/files/cover_8.png

Nadroj 20
08-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Good. They should have brought him in earlier to be involved in our offense and meetings but later is better than never.

I'm more comfortable with Vick over Jones and Gradkowski.

blackngold8766
08-25-2015, 12:59 PM
None of us are in the locker room so no idea of the players confidence in L Jones but I think fairly safe to say that if Ben goes down and you need one guy to win a game there is going to be far more confidence in Vick short term or long. Jones will never be Bens replacement to it comes down to is anyone else out there with a similar resume. Sign him!

86WARD
08-25-2015, 01:11 PM
don't look now but Thigpen is 31 .Thigpen is more like a healthy version of Gradkowski an improvisational guy who is the master of the broken play but not great when things go as they are supposed to .

better than Vick ? maybe not when totality of career comes into play but as a 1 game starter at this point , I think there is a great probability of it .

I didn't realize Thigpen was that old. The reason I say him is he's familiar with Haley and he's won a couple/few games in the offense...so I don't think it would hurt, if he's still got gas left (maybe he doesn't), to bring him in for a look...or maybe they already know he's not interested...

86WARD
08-25-2015, 01:13 PM
I mentioned it before, the other thing we have to remember is that Vick is a lefty. These guys are professionals, so I'd like to think they could adjust but most stuff is going to be a little different. If Ben is out and I have to ride with Vick of Jones, I'm picking the old Vick every time...

JoeyPorter55
08-25-2015, 01:17 PM
We could finally be remembered for our trick plays again

steelreserve
08-25-2015, 02:14 PM
I didn't realize Thigpen was that old. The reason I say him is he's familiar with Haley and he's won a couple/few games in the offense...so I don't think it would hurt, if he's still got gas left (maybe he doesn't), to bring him in for a look...or maybe they already know he's not interested...

Not quite ... just to be clear, he's won one game. Ever. For his entire career. And that game was in 2008, against the Raiders, and he threw for a whopping 160 yards and one interception. He's technically been involved in one or two other wins where he came in and threw 4 passes or so. The rest - all L's, and deservedly so.

Have you seen him play? He's horrible. There never was any gas in the tank, never mind having any left.

TeeTee
08-25-2015, 03:17 PM
My main problem with Vick is he is now a turnover machine. Have you seen him play the last 2 years? it seems every time he tries to run or stay alive in the pocket, BOOM, if he takes contact, out comes the ball, and half the time he seems like he gets dinged in the head. He is definitely a "few game" solution only, but I guess most back ups are, with a few exceptions (see Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Jim Plunkett, Kurt Warner).

polamalubeast
08-25-2015, 03:26 PM
This is almost certain that Vick will sign with the steelers...

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 03:40 PM
This is almost certain that Vick will sign with the steelers...

I agree, we are serious when we bring the player in...

tube517
08-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm the biggest Hokie fan on this board but he's a turnover machine. I know it's for a backup QB position and we need one

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

GBMelBlount
08-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Bring him in.

Interview him.

Evaluate his talent.

Determine if he is a fit.

Make a decision.

Next.

st33lersguy
08-25-2015, 05:29 PM
The only thing Vick ever had going for him, his running ability, is gone. At this point this is a signing based off of name recognition

Burghfan58
08-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Injury prone, speed is gone, not a winner. Those are the football reasons I don't want him. If you have it in your makeup to do what he did you are a despicable human. That is the personal reason I want no part of him in the Black and Gold. Let Landry play the final 2 preseason games. There will be a better fit when the final cuts are made.

polamalubeast
08-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Injury prone, speed is gone, not a winner. Those are the football reasons I don't want him. If you have it in your makeup to do what he did you are a despicable human. That is the personal reason I want no part of him in the Black and Gold. Let Landry play the final 2 preseason games. There will be a better fit when the final cuts are made.

Vick has a winning record in his career(That's what you want as backup) and if he signs, it will be only as backup.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 06:17 PM
The only thing Vick ever had going for him, his running ability, is gone. At this point this is a signing based off of name recognition

Nov. 9, 2014

Jets 20 Steelers 13

Michael Vick' stats:

2 TDs passing, QB rating of 116, also rushed 8 times for 39 yards.

steelerdude15
08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
It's official, he's a Steeler.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 06:41 PM
or I could just read this

The Pittsburgh Steelers announce that they have signed QB Michael Vick

https://twitter.com/BR_NFL?ref_src=t...Ctwgr%5Eauthor (https://twitter.com/BR_NFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctw gr%5Eauthor)

steelerdude15
08-25-2015, 06:42 PM
You know, the people who are saying that they won't watch the Steelers anymore, won't buy their merchandise, etc.; are going to be the same people who will be watching every game and wearing their gear this fall. This will blow over before you know it.

JoeyPorter55
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
He signed a 1 year / 1 million dollar deal moments ago

BRING BACK THE TRICK PLAYS, PITTSBURGH!!!!!

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Steelers Sign Michael Vick, QB Bruce Gradkowski Placed On IR -

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/signs-point-to-steelers-qb-bruce-gradkowski-landing-on-injured-reserve/

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 06:54 PM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Steelers sign former Jets QB Michael Vick to one-year deal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNSrgWHWIAAKad5.jpg

So it's true?

zulater
08-25-2015, 06:58 PM
You know, the people who are saying that they won't watch the Steelers anymore, won't buy their merchandise, etc.; are going to be the same people who will be watching every game and wearing their gear this fall. This will blow over before you know it.

No. The people who say that don't watch more than a handful of games a year. And then only if they're really really good. And whatever Steeler gear they possess was most likely given to them.

GBMelBlount
08-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Ruh Roh

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Who wears #16 - Tyler Murphy?

That's Charlie Batch's old number - give it to Vick.

So we had to do something, get over it

Polamalu Princess
08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Not sure about this - I have mixed feelings.

GBMelBlount
08-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Good signing.

st33lersguy
08-25-2015, 07:13 PM
They needed someone and I can't imagine there were much better options, granted Vick is washed up

Count Steeler
08-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Should take him 2 years to learn our offense.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Bread and Circuses

that's all I ask from the Overlords

well, that and a few slavegirls

i lead a pure life

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 07:20 PM
They needed someone and I can't imagine there were much better options, granted Vick is washed up

he wasn't washed up last season when he threw 2 TDs against us in a Jets victory...

TeeTee
08-25-2015, 07:23 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2370710-michael-vick-to-steelers-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Well, he "reached a nadir in 2014." Is that good? Nope. At this point, what else we gonna do?

na·dir
ˈnādər,ˈnādir/
noun

the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization.
"they had reached the nadir of their sufferings"

synonyms:
lowest point, lowest level, all-time low, bottom (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+bottom&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ_SowAGoVChMI-qH3x73FxwIVyZeACh3GfQCc), rock-bottom (https://www.google.com/search?q=define+rock-bottom&sa=X&ved=0CCEQ_SowAGoVChMI-qH3x73FxwIVyZeACh3GfQCc); informalpits
"the nadir of his career"

SteelerFanInStl
08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Nov. 9, 2014

Jets 20 Steelers 13

Michael Vick' stats:

Exactly. The Steelers got a first hand look at what Vick can still do last year.

MrPgh
08-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Or they're the same people that choose to ignore that Harrison was charged with domestic abuse.

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2015, 07:41 PM
im fine with us signing Vick, but wtf?!? I thought Gradkowski's surgery was minor? Didnt think it would be a situation of putting him on IR

86WARD
08-25-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't mind it.

SteelerFanInStl
08-25-2015, 07:56 PM
No. The people who say that don't watch more than a handful of games a year. And then only if they're really really good. And whatever Steeler gear they possess was most likely given to them.

All of those people can take a flying leap for all I care. If you're going to stop supporting your team because of a player that they sign, then you weren't a fan in the first place.

Edman
08-25-2015, 07:56 PM
All the "Steelers should sign Mike Vick" topics on Steelers forums are much funnier now.

stillers4me
08-25-2015, 07:57 PM
If someone wants to give away their season tickets, I'll take them!

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Or they're the same people that choose to ignore that Harrison was charged with domestic abuse.

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

If James Harrison's domestic situation happened this year, he wouldn't be playing a down.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

86WARD
08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
That's not necessarily true.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Vick was by far the best available on the open market.

“There’s not a throw on the field he can’t make from an arm strength standpoint, he’s a very experienced guy at what he does at this point in his career. And, obviously, the mobility is still unique even at 35,” said Tomlin.

He acknowledged there might be some negative pumlicity for the Steelers for signing Vick, who was released in the summer of 2009 after spending 21 months in jail for dog fighting.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/25/Free-agent-quarterback-Michael-Vick-visits-Pittsburgh-Steelers/stories/201508250143

Nadroj 20
08-25-2015, 08:08 PM
I was in favor of signing him weeks ago simply because Bruce was banged up at that point.

We needed a backup QB. Whether it was a 3rd stringer or a 2nd stringer I felt the Steelers needed a new QB. He was the best available and he also BEAT us last season. With out weapons, I feel like he could start a game or 2 if needed. Obviously we hope he never plays a down the entire season.

And I know what he did and hate what he did. But it was years ago and he has stayed out of trouble since. He won't be a problem for us.

katmandu
08-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Reading the posts on twitter......fans threatening to send all their Steeler stuff to the Rooney's and never watched him a Steelers game again. See ya bye! I despise the crimes Michael Vick committed and the human being he "was" when he committed those unspeakable Sins. Vick was convicted, served his time and most importantly "MANNED UP" and took full responsibility for his crimes/sins.

To the best of my knowledge, he has since "tried" his best to be a productive member of our society and be a positive role model. What more do you want from the man ?

Here's food for thought for ALL of you.

How many of you call yourself a real Christian ?

How many of you are Sinners and have Sinned ?

If you call yourself a "real" Christian, then you know that Jesus preached FORGIVENESS.

Look at those families of the (9) people that got slaughtered by that white supremacist down in Charleston, SC. That display of FORGIVENESS was one of the most loving and powerful events I have ever witnessed.

Doesn't Michael Vick deserve the SAME from you and I ?

Me, you and every other soul reading this WILL have their own day to be judged when the time comes.

STOP THE HATE PEOPLE AND LEARN TO FORGIVE !

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 08:12 PM
http://www.thepublicprofessor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ron-Mexico.jpg

Nadroj 20
08-25-2015, 08:14 PM
I heard the same comments about Ben Roethlisberger when he wasn't released/traded after his accusation.

Seriously I did. They wanted to mail their Big Ben jersey to Dan Rooney with a written letter expressing how upset they were he was still a member of our team.

Godfather
08-25-2015, 08:14 PM
It's official, he's a Steeler.

No, he isn't.

He's on the Steelers roster. But he will never be a Steeler.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 08:15 PM
It's not a question of belief. It's done.

Is this gonna be a prayer revival meeting to see who can hold the rattlesnakes the longest?

We need a Qb - he can be Buddist, Amish or Satan himself for all I care if he keeps Ben from a few more hits in preseason.

yea verily

Godfather
08-25-2015, 08:19 PM
\

If you call yourself a "real" Christian, then you know that Jesus preached FORGIVENESS.

Look at those families of the (9) people that got slaughtered by that white supremacist down in Charleston, SC. That display of FORGIVENESS was one of the most loving and powerful events I have ever witnessed.

Me, you and every other soul reading this WILL have their own day to be judged when the time comes.

I don't wish for the perdition of his soul. But I'm not going to cheer for him or feel good about him wearing black and gold.

- - - Updated - - -

We need a Qb - he can be Buddist, Amish or Satan himself for all I care if he keeps Ben from a few more hits in preseason.

I'll take a Buddhist or Amish quarterback. But Satan is 63 years old, overweight, and hasn't played any sports in 40 years.

steelerdude15
08-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Looking at the remaining free agent quarterbacks, there truly wasn't anyone else that we could have signed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/

vindrow
08-25-2015, 08:20 PM
All of those people can take a flying leap for all I care. If you're going to stop supporting your team because of a player that they sign, then you weren't a fan in the first place.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner here.

Well said, sir.

Nadroj 20
08-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Looking at the remaining free agent quarterbacks, there truly wasn't anyone else that we could have signed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/

You're right. Very slim pickings.

So all things considered, our need for a QB, the available players...Can't knock the signing.

ALLD
08-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Now they should cut Jones because like Coach Noll would say, "He's just not good enough." Free up a roster spot for somebody that can produce on the field.

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Vick is better than Cam -

there, I said it

touchdownward
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Good, we needed another running back. :heh:

Seriously though, like him or not, Vick is a serviceable backup.

Godfather
08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Ookie Mexico had a quarterback rating of 68.3 last year. That's below the Kordoza Line. It's worse than world-beaters like Blake Bortles, Jimmy Clausen and Austin Davis.

I get that we had to dumpster dive for a backup, but come on...at least get someone who can throw a football and who doesn't bring bad PR to the table.

steelerdude15
08-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Ookie Mexico had a quarterback rating of 68.3 last year. That's below the Kordoza Line. It's worse than world-beaters like Blake Bortles, Jimmy Clausen and Austin Davis.

I get that we had to dumpster dive for a backup, but come on...at least get someone who can throw a football and who doesn't bring bad PR to the table.

Well, if everything goes accordingly, Vick won't even touch the field this season.

CapLovesTroyP43
08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
No, he isn't.

He's on the Steelers roster. But he will never be a Steeler.

AMEN BROTHER!!!

GBMelBlount
08-25-2015, 08:42 PM
I despise the crimes Michael Vick committed and the human being he "was" when he committed those unspeakable Sins. Vick was convicted, served his time and most importantly "MANNED UP" and took full responsibility for his crimes/sins.

To the best of my knowledge, he has since "tried" his best to be a productive member of our society and be a positive role model. What more do you want from the man ?

Here's food for thought for ALL of you.

QFT

Mojouw
08-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Should take him 2 years to learn our offense.

This is the winner.

Vick always has been and always will be a terrible mental QB.

fansince'76
08-25-2015, 08:49 PM
This is the winner.

Vick always has been and always will be a terrible mental QB.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-i-have-two-secret-weapons-my-legs-my-arms-and-my-brain-michael-vick-72-98-32.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/5rvickag3hp2j)

jb500ex
08-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Nov. 9, 2014

Jets 20 Steelers 13

Michael Vick' stats:

Now show them for last season it doesn't look so good. If only he could play us every game

86WARD
08-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Hopefully it doesn't matter who it is. Let's think of it that way.

salamander
08-25-2015, 09:14 PM
I neither hate nor like this move. I don't hate it because there weren't any other decent free agent QBs out there but I don't like it because I don't like Vick. As I keep saying though, we're screwed if Ben goes down anyways so what does it really matter?

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Twitter is asploding!

May i have 10,000 marbles please?

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 09:29 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/steelersblog/wp-content/gallery/contest-7/MeetJoeGreene2.jpghttp://www.planetsteelers.com/steelersblog/wp-content/gallery/contest-7/MeetJoeGreene1.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 09:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_T8v0AxWU

86WARD
08-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Doggate was back in 2007... I hate to say get over it to those pet lovers out there...but it was 8 years ago...Vick did his time, he's not as much an asshole as he was...its in the past...its time to get over it and move on.

Butch
08-25-2015, 10:03 PM
He did his time, and changed his ways, so as long as he can do what we need I don't have a problem with him.

fansince'76
08-25-2015, 10:22 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/steelersblog/wp-content/gallery/contest-7/MeetJoeGreene1.jpg

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Edman
08-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Steelers fans- will cut off their own nose to spite their own face.

The Steelers are ONE Big Ben injury away from starting Landry Jones. You guys aren't ready for watching Landry Jones for four quarters, and I know you're not.

j-d-s
08-26-2015, 01:26 AM
Vick is better than Landry any day. And if he's injured we will cut him anyway - you just don't keep a veteran backup QB when he's injured.

But let's hope he doesn't have to play at all (except maybe on punts as upback or 2pt conversions), cuz if Ben goes down our season is doomed.

Count Steeler
08-26-2015, 05:44 AM
The real pressing question is, Does Ben give up his #7 to the older Vick?

Does Vick get upset if Ben doesn't give up the 7? If Ben does give up the 7, does Ben go in to the tank?

Does the band wagon get full again if we make the playoffs? The Super Bowl? Are they allowed to celebrate if the Steelers get #7?

Enquiring minds want to know!

salamander
08-26-2015, 05:55 AM
The same people threatening to "boycott" the Steelers now will be the first ones back on the bandwagon the moment the Steelers start having a good season. If you want to boycott the team over a backup QB, then go right ahead. Steelers fans are such hypocrites sometimes.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Gradkowskis injury pretty much signals the end for him in a Steelers uniform...no? Vick might go with #1? I don't think the NFL would allow Roethlisberger to switch numbers at this point...lol...even if he wanted to...

There's really only a few numbers he could go with right now. 1, 12, 15, 17. Unless they want to double up something for preseason. 2 and 4 could open up.

SteeleReign
08-26-2015, 06:34 AM
I'm okay with Vick for a year or two, but boy does this make it obvious how important it is for the Steelers to draft a QB to groom behind Ben.

If Ben misses any significant time it's almost a certainty that Landry Jones will be starting a meaningful game of NFL football. The odds of Vick surviving multiple starts is a tick above never.

And, that my friends, is a problem. Landry Jones is NOT an NFL quarterback.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Nadroj 20
08-26-2015, 07:29 AM
Gradkowskis injury pretty much signals the end for him in a Steelers uniform...no? Vick might go with #1? I don't think the NFL would allow Roethlisberger to switch numbers at this point...lol...even if he wanted to...

There's really only a few numbers he could go with right now. 1, 12, 15, 17. Unless they want to double up something for preseason. 2 and 4 could open up.

I can see him going with #17.

And as far as the NFL letting Ben switch numbers I would say they would be all for it. (He isn't going to I'm just saying hypothetically). They would make a ton of money on everyone re-buying Big Ben jersey's to get his current number. Just my theory, I have no way of knowing this for sure.

polamalubeast
08-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Mike Vick will wear #2 for the #Steelers.

https://twitter.com/SteelersPRBurt/status/636509227452923904

86WARD
08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Doesn't sound good for Jarrod West...currently sporting a #2 at the WR position.

Mexican Yinzer
08-26-2015, 08:50 AM
I really think that most of the uncertainty for Vick comes from his former disciplinary problems and what not. I really think he is a great option as a backup for Ben. Lets keep in mind that he is there for a reason , BACKUP nothing else. It would really be hard for him to play. Ben injury stats are really low (he is made of steel).

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Yeah, they should've given him #12. That would've gone over really well.

Steeldude
08-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Hopefully a better backup QB will be cut soon.

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Hopefully a better backup QB will be cut soon.

... which probably means they're either injured, or they're now too shaky even to be a reliable #2 QB. It's not like a lot of QBs better than Vick are going to suddenly get cut for no reason.

BigNastyDefense
08-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't like the signing at all, for multiple reasons, one being Vick's past. I believe to do the things he did, you have to be mentally disturbed. I own a pitbull, rescued her a little over a month ago. She's a sweetheart that just wants to play and love and be loved. She's a silly goofball. But a lot of people who don't know a thing about the breed have asked me when I'm walking her or they find out I have a Pittie "Why would you get a pitbull, isn't that the type of dog that Mike Vick was fighting?" I honestly don't give a damn about the work he has done since leaving prison. The words that have come out of his mouth don't mean a thing to me. Why? Because anyone can say or do the things they need to do to get back in someone good graces, and for him it's what he had to do to get back into the NFL. He cannot undo the damage he has done.

However, I'm not going to boycott my Steelers because they signed a player I despise. They're in the business of winning football games and they feel Vick is going to be able to help them do that, so be it. I don't have to like the guy, I don't have to root for him, and I don't have to like the fact that the team signed him to still be a fan of the team. I'll just hope that Ben stays healthy all season and that Vick never has to see a meaningful snap, because if he sees a lot of meaningful snaps, I highly doubt the team is raising a seventh Lombardi Trophy this season.

TD's & Beer
08-26-2015, 01:16 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/qco6gdi6t/vick.jpg

TeeTee
08-26-2015, 01:50 PM
The same people threatening to "boycott" the Steelers now will be the first ones back on the bandwagon the moment the Steelers start having a good season. If you want to boycott the team over a backup QB, then go right ahead. Steelers fans are such hypocrites sometimes.

Yes, some sure are. Check out this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Pittsburghersagainstmichaelvick

Count Steeler
08-26-2015, 02:35 PM
So now we have the 3 bad asses from the last decade. The wife slapper, the rapist and the dog killer.

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a combined total of 7 Super Bowl rings by the end of this season? Right now they have a combined 4.

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 03:13 PM
So far, so good....

86WARD
08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they should've given him #12. That would've gone over really well.

Duh...Don't really think anyone said to give him 12...it's an "available" number though since it's not officially retired...lol.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 03:58 PM
So now we have the 3 bad asses from the last decade. The wife slapper, the rapist and the dog killer.

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a combined total of 7 Super Bowl rings by the end of this season? Right now they have a combined 4.

Lol.

SteelFever
08-26-2015, 04:26 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/qco6gdi6t/vick.jpg
So the scumbag will be number two? How appropriate, that is what he is, a big pile of :poop:. When ever this dirtbag sociopath is on the field I will be rooting for the other team, and wishing someone gives the sadistic monster a broken leg or ACL injury. I will never look at the Steelers the same way ever again, never want to hear how classy the team and owners are, because they are not. Why not bring in Ray Lewis and Ray Rice while we are at it. Can never talk about the Ravens thugs ever again, because we just signed one of the worse.

- - - Updated - - -

vader29
08-26-2015, 04:49 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/dnzpug.jpg

stillers4me
08-26-2015, 04:51 PM
So the scumbag will be number two? How appropriate, that is what he is, a big pile of :poop:. When ever this dirtbag sociopath is on the field I will be rooting for the other team, and wishing someone gives the sadistic monster a broken leg or ACL injury. I will never look at the Steelers the same way ever again, never want to hear how classy the team and owners are, because they are not. Why not bring in Ray Lewis and Ray Rice while we are at it. Can never talk about the Ravens thugs ever again, because we just signed one of the worse.

- - - Updated - - -
Mike Vick served his time......8 years ago. He admitted what he did was wrong. That's more than the darling of the NFL is currently doing. He admitted he was wrong, lost 100 million dollars, and served 2 years in jail......8 years ago.

He says he can't take back what he did. So instead he speaks to youth groups about not going down the path that he did. What more does the public want out of him??? He's done more penance that other players who killed another human being by drunk driving. He's done more penance than a child abuser and a woman beater. Fans need to get off their high horses and just let him try to rebuild his life...just like we do to any other person who has done time. This backlash and morally superior attitude from this team's fans is ridiculous.

Count Steeler
08-26-2015, 04:53 PM
I have no problem with him as a human. He owned up to his wrong doings and did his time.

As a backup QB, meh. At least he won't be on another team to beat us. I only see him on the field for trickery, 2 pointers, the odd wildcat fake to a long bomb, stuff like that. If he has to play for us for an extended period, that would mean Ben is hurt and that would spell disaster for the season.

GoSlash27
08-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Sorry, can't do it.
Michael Vick doesn't belong on this team. I hate this decision...

B&GFever
08-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Mike Vick served his time......8 years ago. He admitted what he did was wrong. That's more than the darling of the NFL is currently doing. He admitted he was wrong, lost 100 million dollars, and served 2 years in jail......8 years ago.

He says he can't take back what he did. So instead he speaks to youth groups about not going down the path that he did. What more does the public want out of him??? He's done more penance that other players who killed another human being by drunk driving. He's done more penance than a child abuser and a woman beater. Fans need to get off their high horses and just let him try to rebuild his life...just like we do to any other person who has done time. This backlash and morally superior attitude from this team's fans is ridiculous.

excellent post

Yea without sin cast the first stone

katmandu
08-26-2015, 07:41 PM
I don't wish for the perdition of his soul. But I'm not going to cheer for him or feel good about him wearing black and gold.
I'm not religious, nor do I want to start a religious debate, but I do remember reading and hearing about sins. Perhaps those Christians amongst know this as well.

A sin is a sin is a sin. One sin is not greater than another sin. There is no sin rating system in the bible.

You, I and every human being has sinned.

Michael Vick has done pretty much everything humanly possible to rectify his horrible sins and crimes. What more do you want from this human being ?

If you where him, how would YOU wish the be treated and judged ?

Hmm ?

Cyphon25
08-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Off the field stuff aside, I don't see this as a great signing but I also understand there probably aren't many "good" options out there. Vick has pretty big turnover problems and is injury prone himself. So if Ben goes down Vick maybe gives you 1 game before he goes down and you are back to Landry anyway. I haven't actually looked at who all is out there but I would think there at least has to be a more stable option if not a better option.

Beyond that, this is a clear sign they shouldn't even bother putting Jones on the 53. If you immediate response is to sign someone else instead of trusting Jones than it becomes clear he is a failed project and instead of being stubborn they should call a spade a spade and be done with him. Just keep Murphy on the practice squad as your number 3 for now.

SteelFever
08-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Other people who killed someone being a drunk driver or even a woman beater like Rice, did not plan ahead to deliberately kill and and injure others for their own sadistic thrills. It takes a special kind of disturbed individual to get thrills from torture and mayhem. People like him and Hernandez, Ray Lewis, are violent animals that do not deserve to be in the presence of normal society. Only a psychotic, deeply mentally disturbed person can get their kicks from brutally torturing and killing animals or humans. It is a known fact that people who get a thrill from torturing and killing animals for their own sadistic pleasure, frequently if given the opportunity, end up eventually doing the same to people. This is the face and character that the Steeler's want to present to the world as one of their own. He needs to be in a mental hospital for the criminally insane.

Mojouw
08-26-2015, 09:09 PM
So, we are not going to talk about the fact that OUTSIDE of Steelers fans - everyone views our starting QB as a rapist? We can all seem to look past that, but the pearl clutching and hand wringing about Vick is at a massive level (not just here, but the internet in general).

Harrison hit his wife. And he broke down a door to do it. Joey Porter's dogs ate a couple of miniature horses. Greg Lloyd (my all time favorite Steeler) stuck a gun in his kid's mouth. Whatever you think about what happened with Ben, the girl, and a certain bar in Georgia - it was undeniably shady as all get out. Plaxico took a gun to a club in the waistband of his sweatpants and shot himself. I don't care that he wasn't a Steeler when it happened - he didn't suddenly became an idiot when he went to the Giants. Santonio Holmes basically smoked himself out of town. I've lost count of the guys that have been arrested for drunk related stuff.

I know. I know. Most of these are not the same as running a dog fighting ring. But the point still holds - very few of these guys are saints. Most are idiots and only a few steps above deviancy at any given point.

These guys are not role models. I only care if they can play on Sundays. I got enough role models in my life.

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 09:19 PM
So, we are not going to talk about the fact that OUTSIDE of Steelers fans - everyone views our starting QB as a rapist? We can all seem to look past that, but the pearl clutching and hand wringing about Vick is at a massive level (not just here, but the internet in general).

Harrison hit his wife. And he broke down a door to do it. Joey Porter's dogs ate a couple of miniature horses. Greg Lloyd (my all time favorite Steeler) stuck a gun in his kid's mouth. Whatever you think about what happened with Ben, the girl, and a certain bar in Georgia - it was undeniably shady as all get out. Plaxico took a gun to a club in the waistband of his sweatpants and shot himself. I don't care that he wasn't a Steeler when it happened - he didn't suddenly became an idiot when he went to the Giants. Santonio Holmes basically smoked himself out of town. I've lost count of the guys that have been arrested for drunk related stuff.

I know. I know. Most of these are not the same as running a dog fighting ring. But the point still holds - very few of these guys are saints. Most are idiots and only a few steps above deviancy at any given point.

These guys are not role models. I only care if they can play on Sundays. I got enough role models in my life.

Not to mention Ernie Holmes and the police helicopter...

hawaiiansteeler
08-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Jeremy Fowler‏@JFowlerESPN

Michael Vick connecting with C.J. Goodwin on his first day of Steelers practice

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNXHa8IWoAAYCyS.jpg

steelreserve
08-26-2015, 09:33 PM

:thumbsup:

As I've said many, many times before, I really don't care what these guys do off the field, short of being a sex offender or a murderer. If they did something so bad that they shouldn't be playing football, that's what the police are for, and that's why the coach can kick people off the team.

I don't know the players and I don't hang out with them. Seeing them on TV, or from a couple hundred feet away in a stadium, is the only interaction I have with them. In real life, half of them are probably jerks, or idiots, or sketchy people - just like you would find with any other 53 guys you picked at random off the subway. I don't care about that and there is no reason for me to. Players' off-the-field problems are good for heckling and for razzing other teams' fans, but that's about it and this whole idea of teams and fans being expected to be the extrajudicial Morality Police is both disgusting and a bit frightening. The entire conversation about Vick and his dogs is dumb. People want to spend their time agonizing and being outraged over some guy in a football game on TV, then fine, have yourselves a fucking blast with that.

j-d-s
08-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I don't get it why normal people would be so upset with dog fighting. It's just about animals, what's the deal? Animals are not entitled to any rights.

Godfather
08-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Not to mention Ernie Holmes and the police helicopter...

Well, in fairness Holmes was legitimately insane at the time.

vasteeler
08-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I don't get it why normal people would be so upset with dog fighting. It's just about animals, what's the deal? Animals are not entitled to any rights.

your compassion is overwhelming

SteelerFanInStl
08-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Exactly! Football is a violent sport and there are a lot of violent men who play it.

fansince'76
08-26-2015, 11:39 PM

Can I safely assume you've never had a dog as a pet?

I can understand fully why some people feel the way they do about this. But like I said in another post, he did his time. I also think he should never be able to own another animal as a pet, but that really has nothing to do with football.

Steeldude
08-27-2015, 06:12 AM
My not wanting him on the team has nothing to do with his issues off the field.

Unfortunately, the dumb, running QB is on the team so you just have to accept it and hope he never plays a single down.

86WARD
08-27-2015, 07:17 AM
He's probably better than Gradkowski as a throwing QB...lol

zulater
08-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Three things on Vick with the dog fighting.
1. Culturally he grew up around this. It was acceptable to him. We may hate that. Just as we hate some Asian cultures that eat canines. But if that's what you were brought up in then you become desensitized to the plight of the animal.

As an aside I have family members and know other people who fought roosters. While I find these actions horrific some of these people are decent people. Again it's something they were brought up to believe was acceptable.

2. No one has ever paid a steeper penalty for dog fighting than Vick. He lost a fortune. Legal fees. Loss of employment, the prime years of his career no less. Also endorsements. He was among the highest money making athletes off the field prior to his downfall. He went to prison. He paid off all his debts to the penny. Something that most bankrupt people don't do.

3. He's shown genuine remorse and has shown maturity off the field since he served his penalty. Now obviously no one knows what's in another man's heart or mind. But all of his actions since his return to the league seem to show a man who's owned his past mistakes and has become a better person.

Now as far as his viability as a back-up to Ben. He was easily the best option out there. If Ben were to miss a month (4 games say) (God forbid) I could see a game plan being put together with our overall weapons that could see Vick going 2- 2 or possibly better. Remember Charlie Batch was no great shakes, but in games he started the Steelers went 6-3 over the years.

So I see this as a sensible signing. The chances of him winning a game or not losing one (as the case often is) are better than Landry Jones. Grakowski is injured and unavailable, so whether he's a better option than vick isn't really pertinent at this point.

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Can I safely assume you've never had a dog as a pet?

I get that and at risk of taking this conversation off topic and into dangerous waters , is what Mike Vick did worse than abortion ( which is somehow legal in this country )

I assume most of us have had kids ?

feel free to strike this comment if it is to edgy but it is something to think about ... animals lives put ahead of peoples for me is just unthinkable

Please do not think I am anti animal , because I own and love 2 dogs and if anyone tried to hurt them we would have a real problem ...

steelreserve
08-27-2015, 11:53 AM
1. Culturally he grew up around this. It was acceptable to him. We may hate that. Just as we hate some Asian cultures that eat canines. But if that's what you were brought up in then you become desensitized to the plight of the animal.

I don't think a lot of people understand this. But in certain parts of the world, and yes, parts of the United States, animal fighting is no different to people than, say, drag racing or kickboxing might be to you and me.

Another thing I'll add is that to a lot of black families, their relationship with dogs is not the same as the beloved pet that's come to symbolize the All-American lifestyle. When you're looking at dogfighting from the context of Fido the family dog who runs around in the yard playing with the kids, it seems all the more horrifying and unfathomable. But dogs just aren't looked at the same way in some parts, and it's hard for people to understand that. This is not coming from me trying to label another race, by the way - just what I've heard directly from Southern black people commenting on this issue.

I'm not saying dogfighting is right or that I support it, but there is a cultural disconnect that means it may make no sense to you or me, but perfect sense to someone else, even if it's on the wrong side of the law.

The chances of him winning a game or not losing one (as the case often is) are better than Landry Jones. Grakowski is injured and unavailable, so whether he's a better option than vick isn't really pertinent at this point.

That's what I hope people really see. It's a huge improvement against where we were two days ago. Landry Jones is not an NFL player, so we essentially had NO backup quarterback. People were talking about Tyler Thigpen as an upgrade. Really? That's how you know you're in a desperate situation.

zulater
08-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't think a lot of people understand this. But in certain parts of the world, and yes, parts of the United States, animal fighting is no different to people than, say, drag racing or kickboxing might be to you and me.

Another thing I'll add is that to a lot of black families, their relationship with dogs is not the same as the beloved pet that's come to symbolize the All-American lifestyle. When you're looking at dogfighting from the context of Fido the family dog who runs around in the yard playing with the kids, it seems all the more horrifying and unfathomable. But dogs just aren't looked at the same way in some parts, and it's hard for people to understand that. This is not coming from me trying to label another race, by the way - just what I've heard directly from Southern black people commenting on this issue.

I'm not saying dogfighting is right or that I support it, but there is a cultural disconnect that means it may make no sense to you or me, but perfect sense to someone else, even if it's on the wrong side of the law.

That's what I hope people really see. It's a huge improvement against where we were two days ago. Landry Jones is not an NFL player, so we essentially had NO backup quarterback. People were talking about Tyler Thigpen as an upgrade. Really? That's how you know you're in a desperate situation.

On the southern thing with dogs. I drive for a living. And one of the things I notice when driving down south is there's always dead stray dogs on the side of the interstate's. Maybe once e very month or so driving up north you see a dead dog on the side of the road. Sad to say every time I go through the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida etc I see multiple dead dogs littered on the highway. Just a different attitude towards them down there for some reason?

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 05:20 PM

are you being serious or just trolling?

Edman
08-27-2015, 06:21 PM
are you being serious or just trolling?

"Animal Rights" is a misnomer. Animal Rights mean that the animal is capable of making it's own informed decisions and can be held accountable for it's own behavior.

fansince'76
08-27-2015, 07:29 PM
I get that and at risk of taking this conversation off topic and into dangerous waters , is what Mike Vick did worse than abortion ( which is somehow legal in this country )

I assume most of us have had kids ?

feel free to strike this comment if it is to edgy but it is something to think about ... animals lives put ahead of peoples for me is just unthinkable

Please do not think I am anti animal , because I own and love 2 dogs and if anyone tried to hurt them we would have a real problem ...

I made the comment about never owning a dog in reference to how cavalierly (at least to me) he treated the whole thing (it was only dogs), that's all. It was never meant to put dog's lives above those of humans.

But I will confess, I love my dog (hell, dogs in general) more than most people...

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I made the comment about never owning a dog in reference to how cavalierly (at least to me) he treated the whole thing (it was only dogs), that's all. It was never meant to put dog's lives above those of humans.

But I will confess, I love my dog (hell, dogs in general) more than most people...

I get it as a dog lover too , was not pointing your comment out just using it as a precursor for my point , perhaps I should have mentioned that as nobody knew what I was thinking when typing it ..