PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign C Doug Legursky, Place WR David Nelson On IR

polamalubeast
08-25-2015, 07:43 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-sign-c-doug-legursky-place-wr-david-nelson-on-ir/

Steeldude
08-25-2015, 08:02 AM
I think there are better choices out there, but it is what it is

Devilsdancefloor
08-25-2015, 08:39 AM
possible this could be a move for familiarity not only with doug but with the Oline itself

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Legs is back! Once a Steeler, always a Steeler

Legursky, 29, was an undrafted free agent who broke into the league with the Steelers in 2008 and went from the practice squad to starting Super Bowl XLV due to a Pouncey injury. He was with the Bills in 2013 and the Chargers last year, where he started both games in which he appeared.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/25/steelers-add-familiar-name-to-center-mix/#comments

GBMelBlount
08-25-2015, 08:41 AM
He's been to the Superbowl as the starting center for the Steelers.

It is good to have him back.

fansince'76
08-25-2015, 08:47 AM

Won't he be Wallace's backup at this point anyway? :noidea:

B&GFever
08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
possible this could be a move for familiarity not only with doug but with the Oline itself

Lego has not had 5 mins of instruction with Munhcak , he is probably no more familiar than anyone else off the street with exception to verbage of play calls in which most of it has little to nothing to do with the Center, with exception to protections ( and that may even be different with a different line coach ? I wont pretend to know that part )

86WARD
08-25-2015, 09:30 AM

Agree...this move isn't shocking at all...sometimes teams are just too comfortable.

86WARD
08-25-2015, 09:31 AM

I could see that from a person to person type aspect.

Steeldude
08-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Won't he be Wallace's backup at this point anyway? :noidea:

I just think De La Puente would offer more versatility in case of other injuries. I wish Legursky had longer arms. Haha

86WARD
08-25-2015, 10:07 AM
T.Rex

TeeTee
08-25-2015, 01:56 PM
He's been to the Superbowl as the starting center for the Steelers.

It is good to have him back.

And many argue that his presence was the main reason why we lost. He was who let the DL in to hit Ben's arm to force the pick 6 and he had something to do with the Spin and Fall fumble. The fact that all this time, no one picked him up by this time of year is telling. There has got to be a better player after cuts.

KeiselPower99
08-25-2015, 03:12 PM
HAHA my picture is relevant again!!!! As for him not being picked up he tore his acl last October.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 03:39 PM
HAHA my picture is relevant again!!!!

does this mean we re-sign Keisel next? :wink02:

KeiselPower99
08-25-2015, 04:47 PM
does this mean we re-sign Keisel next? :wink02:

I can only hope

teegre
08-25-2015, 05:52 PM
HAHA my picture is relevant again!!!! As for him not being picked up he tore his acl last October.

Yep.
He came into San Diego, played well, and almost immediately got injured.

(The Chargers' centers were snakebit last season. They went through FIVE centers.)

TD's & Beer
08-25-2015, 06:17 PM
T.Rex

No no

you're thinking of AQ Shipley

he's the original T-Rex

https://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/aq_shipley_joe_sargent_getty.jpg?w=420

86WARD
08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
I hated that draft pick...ugh.

Nadroj 20
08-25-2015, 08:10 PM
I like this signing too. Adds some depth and he is familiar. Two pluses IMO.

steelerdude15
08-25-2015, 08:21 PM
The signing adds depth and experience. I expect Pouncey will be back later in the season.

tube517
08-26-2015, 11:08 AM
And many argue that his presence was the main reason why we lost. He was who let the DL in to hit Ben's arm to force the pick 6 and he had something to do with the Spin and Fall fumble. The fact that all this time, no one picked him up by this time of year is telling. There has got to be a better player after cuts.

We lost because Aaron Rodgers shredded our secondary. Troy was not 100%. Fudge Packers were 4 deep at WR. They were the better team and made no mistakes. Also, Sanders got hurt that game and was our best #3 WR at the time. Also, the TE/FB at the time whiffed on a block when Mendenhall fumbled.

Steelers usually do ok - not perfect -when they re-sign former players.

pepsyman1
08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Legs always did a solid job for us. I have no problem with this signing

Craic
08-26-2015, 01:38 PM

I've read revisionist history before, but this is downright wrong.

tl;dr - Legursky had nothing to do with either play you mentioned.

First, it was the DE who got to Ben. The DT (Raji - 90) lined up directly over Legursky, who stymied him the entire game and didn't allow one sack. When the pass was thrown, Legursky was still infront of Raji, and Raji was the furthest lineman from Ben. The DE, Howard Green (95) turned Keomeautu (spelling?) completely sideways, then pushed through and got a hand up on Ben's throw. Jonathon Scott, the OT on the play originally doubleteamed Green, then broke off to block Zombo coming through on the edge.

In short, Legurski had nothing to do with that INT.

On the fumble: first, I have no idea why you call it a Spin and Fall fumble, because Mendenhall neither spun nor fell (and, if you're trying use Spin and Fall as a name for Mendenhall, you're doing it wrong. Drop the article, the so you're not identifying a singular event, but rather a name). He was tackled. As to what happened, Legursky pulled and sealed off the DE (letting him step inside, then sealing him off from the run lane to the outside). The FB (Johnson) was supposed to come in and seal the outside of the lane (or push the LB inside as well, opening up the outside). Instead, Johnson, running with his head down, literally runs right past Clay Matthews, forcing Mendenhall to stutterstep and stop, right in the inside path of Legursky's man. Nevertheless, Leg's man still only gets a hand around the back of Mendenhall (and part of his helmet on Mendenhall's non-carrying hand). Matthews—Johnson's assignment, came in free and put a helmet right on the ball. It was a hundred percent Johnson's mistake because of his whiff on Matthews. If he even gets a hand on Matthews (he literally just ran right past him, even having to dance to avoid him), Mendenhall at the very least doesn't fumble, and possibly hits the inside lane for 2-4 yards. Hence, Leg has nothing to do with that fumble. He executed properly, sealing off the DE on the inside.

ALLD
08-26-2015, 02:33 PM
"Duct Tape" should be Legursky's nickname.

j-d-s
08-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I just think De La Puente would offer more versatility in case of other injuries.

Agree on that. He played pretty well when he was in New Orleans starting for a record-setting Drew Brees.