PDA

View Full Version : Antwon Blake is Digest Player of the Week

hawaiiansteeler
08-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Blake is Digest Player of the Week

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Antwon Blake made plays on defense and special teams in the Steelers' victory over Green Bay.

In the days leading up to the game, Coach Mike Tomlin made it known that he planned to get some extended looks at his front-line players, not only on offense and defense, but on special teams as well.

In the Steelers’ 24-19 victory over the Green Bay Packers today at Heinz Field, a lot of players were provided that opportunity, and one of those who took advantage was Antwon Blake. The fourth-year cornerback from UTEP finished the game with six tackles, two passes defensed, and he also made a great play as a gunner on a punt that led directly to the Steelers’ first points of the game – a safety resulting from James Harrison’s sack of Aaron Rodgers.

On the punt, Blake beat the man assigned to block him, and when Jordan Berry’s punt hit inside the 5-yard line and didn’t bounce into the end zone, he showed a combination of awareness and athletic ability to get the ball downed at the Green Bay 1-yard line.

Blake is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Landry Jones, who completed 10-of-19 for 172 yards, two touchdowns, one interception and a rating of 96.8 on the way to bringing the Steelers back from a 16-9 halftime deficit; Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 11-of-14 for 100 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, and a rating of 120.2; Shamarko Thomas, who had five tackles, one sack, and one tackle on special teams; Bud Dupree, who had two tackles, including one for loss, plus a sack; Tyler Murphy, who caught four passes for 61 yards and a touchdown; and Shakim Phillips, who caught three passes for 47 yards, including a 20-yard touchdown.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Blake-is-Digest-Player-of-the-Week/db0e5e71-221e-4330-927a-776d90e87ece

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Really? Blake was getting burned consistently in the first half. He only had that many tackles because they kept catching passes against him. Most of the rest of the guys on the list were more deserving.

TeeTee
08-24-2015, 01:22 PM
I thought Blake had a decent game, he was active and defended a few passes. I didn't notice him getting burn't but that's probably because I was sick to my stomach over the injuries.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2015, 01:38 PM
He had a decent 2nd half with a couple of breakups.

I just get tired of seeing all of our CBs playing so far off the line and allowing so many easy completions. Most of the receptions aren't even contested.

86WARD
08-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Really? Blake was getting burned consistently in the first half. He only had that many tackles because they kept catching passes against him. Most of the rest of the guys on the list were more deserving.

That's not reassuring...so Rodgers probably would've torched him all day...

TeeTee
08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
He had a decent 2nd half with a couple of breakups.

I just get tired of seeing all of our CBs playing so far off the line and allowing so many easy completions. Most of the receptions aren't even contested.

It seems that all you have to do as an offense vs. this team is to drop back, wait a few seconds, and hit the wide open target underneath or in the flats. It seems like you can do that all day long.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Antwon Blake and Shamarko both looked really good as the first-team gunners.