PDA

View Full Version : Chickillo looking pretty good

Steeldude
08-23-2015, 04:22 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-vs-jaguars-film-room-anthony-chickillo/

He is showing more than Jarvis Jones did during his rookie pre-season/training camp.

ILBs:

Timmons
Shazier
Williams
Spence
Garvin

OLBs:

Harrison
Moats
J. Jones
Dupree
*Chickillo

I haven't heard any word on how well Chickillo is playing on STs. Will they keep 10 LBs? I would like to see the Steelers cut Archer to free up a roster spot.

BigNastyDefense
08-23-2015, 04:36 PM
He's also doing this against guys who are going to be selling insurance when the final cuts come down.

I doubt they cut Archer this year, especially with Bell's suspension. Even if the Steelers keep him, he could spend the entire season inactive (which I think is a stupid rule). If Bell wasn't suspended, maybe they keep 10 linebackers. But they're likely to keep an extra RB for the first two games of the season.

teegre
08-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I've stated it several times, but it bears iteration:

Chickillo will be a starter at OLB for this team.

Steeldude
08-23-2015, 05:03 PM

I have the same feeling. This could be Harrison's last year and Jarvis Jones could be given walking papers if he shows nothing in 2015.

Shoes
08-23-2015, 05:03 PM

.......and for a very long time.

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 05:14 PM

I agree but I don't see how Chick makes the 53. He's caught in a numbers game, which unfortunately I think he loses. I think he'll be on the practice squad to start.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

vader29
08-23-2015, 05:49 PM
I agree but I don't see how Chick makes the 53. He's caught in a numbers game, which unfortunately I think he loses. I think he'll be on the practice squad to start.

Hopefully he makes it, if he goes to the practice squad another team will more than likely scoop him up.

SteelerFanInStl
08-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Hopefully he makes it, if he goes to the practice squad another team will more than likely scoop him up.

You can count on that.

Steeldude
08-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Which means he will be gone. He will be snatched up by another team.

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Which means he will be gone. He will be snatched up by another team.
I fear that too. But who will the coaches cut for him? If it were me it would be Landry Jones (pending Gradkowski's injury time) or Ross Ventrone.

I just don't see him making the cut.

Count Steeler
08-23-2015, 06:51 PM
If Jones makes the team because of Gradkowski, then Cam Thomas can be sent packing. Chickiloo has potential that should be kept in the black and gold a little while longer.

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Completely agree. I guess I fear that the coaches will send him to the practice squad for the likes of Cam Thomas or Landry Jones. Especially with Tuitt's injury - I don't see Cam Thomas getting cut now.

Steeldude
08-23-2015, 07:28 PM
I fear that too. But who will the coaches cut for him? If it were me it would be Landry Jones (pending Gradkowski's injury time) or Ross Ventrone.

I just don't see him making the cut.

I find Archer to be expendable. He isn't a RB or a WR. His ability as a KR/PR is lacking. The Steelers should be able to go with Williams, Harris and Johnson for 2 games.

I doubt Cam Thomas would be cut over LT Walton. Especially since Thomas has shown improvement. If anything they could take a chance on moving Walton to the practice squad.

Now what if Chickillo's special team play is on par or better than Garvin's?

As of now Chickillo has shown more potential than Dupree.

cold-hard-steel
08-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Chee-kee-yo ! I'm down with that !

fansince'76
08-23-2015, 07:30 PM
I find Archer to be expendable. He isn't a RB or a WR. His ability as a KR/PR is lacking.

Agreed. Archer adds nothing.

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 07:31 PM
I find Archer to be expendable. He isn't a RB or a WR. His ability as a KR/PR is lacking. The Steelers should be able to go with Williams, Harris and Johnson for 2 games.
Actually, I think Archer has looked decent so far. He's not going anywhere. He's clearly the #1 KR at this point.

B&GFever
08-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Archer is a near lock to make the final 53 ... get used to it

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 08:21 PM

I doubt Cam Thomas would be cut over LT Walton. Especially since Thomas has shown improvement. If anything they could take a chance on moving Walton to the practice squad.

Now what if Chickillo's special team play is on par or better than Garvin's?

As of now Chickillo has shown more potential than Dupree.
I agree that if Chick was out-playing Garvin on special teams he'd be on the team. Unfortunately, I don't think he's done that so far.

I really do want Chick on the 53, but I can't figure out who the coaches will cut to keep him.

If Gradkowski is okay I'd send Landry to the practice squad. NOBODY is going to claim him off of waivers. Too bad the Steelers aren't asking my opinion.

Shoes
08-23-2015, 08:25 PM
I agree that if Chick was out-playing Garvin on special teams he'd be on the team. Unfortunately, I don't think he's done that so far.

I really do want Chick on the 53, but I can't figure out who the coaches will cut to keep him.

If Gradkowski is okay I'd send Landry to the practice squad. NOBODY is going to claim him off of waivers. Too bad the Steelers aren't asking my opinion.

Don't worry, there are two more preseason games left for players to be injured in.....unfortunately.

SteeleReign
08-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Don't worry, there are two more preseason games left for players to be injured in.....unfortunately.
True. That's likely to change things.

teegre
08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
I have the same feeling. This could be Harrison's last year and Jarvis Jones could be given walking papers if he shows nothing in 2015.

Just in time for Chickillo to take over...

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed :thumbsup:

TD's & Beer
08-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Pouncey's inj could be the end of Chickillo?

I doubt we'll keep 10 LB's now that we need more OL depth

teegre
08-24-2015, 10:49 AM

Drat. Good point.

Okay... how do we make room...

Okay, I'd cut Cam Thomas. I don't care how good he's been this preseason, he's a bag of suck. And, Yes, I'm completely biased when I say that.

- - - Updated - - -

Pouncey's inj could be the end of Chickillo?

I doubt we'll keep 10 LB's now that we need more OL depth

Pouncey's roster spot will be exempt; he goes on IR, without affecting the 53 (I think). So, they replace his spot with Cody Wallace, and the numbers should be the same (I think).

I think... I hope.

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Drat. Good point.

Okay... how do we make room...

Okay, I'd cut Cam Thomas. I don't care how good he's been this preseason, he's a bag of suck. And, Yes, I'm completely biased when I say that.

- - - Updated - - -

Pouncey's roster spot will be exempt; he goes on IR, without affecting the 53 (I think). So, they replace his spot with Cody Wallace, and the numbers should be the same (I think).

I think... I hope.
Only problem is that if they put Pouncey on the IR-DTR it can't be done until after final cuts.

I'm not sure if season-ending IR works the same way.

Also, I'd love to send Cam Thomas packing too, but again, with Tuitt's injury I doubt that happens. Guess it depends on the time line for Tuitt's return.

teegre
08-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Only problem is that if they put Pouncey on the IR-DTR it can't be done until after final cuts.

I'm not sure if season-ending IR works the same way.

Also, I'd love to send Cam Thomas packing too, but again, with Tuitt's injury I doubt that happens. Guess it depends on the time line for Tuitt's return.

Stop making sense.

Logic and facts have no place in a discussion about what I want to happen.

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Stop making sense.

Logic and facts have no place in a discussion about what I want to happen.
My bad. Logic and my wife have no place in what I want to happen either. [emoji57]

Seriously though, I'm pulling hard for Chickillo, Darby, and Wild. Just hoping that one of them makes the cut.

steelreserve
08-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Landry Jones should be the one who goes, no question. I pointed out this exact same scenario in the thread about him, and it would be beyond infuriating if it actually happened.

Archer also contributes nothing, and I mean NOTHING, but will probably be on the opening roster because of Bell's weed thing. If not him, they'll bring up another RB.

If for some reason we insist on Jones and Archer both staying, we should give Chickillo the spot of one of our expendable DBs ... Webb, Ventrone, etc. - although that probably means we try to put Holliday on the PS and he gets taken immediately, another sacrifice to Landry Jones.

The rookie IR rule is really screwing us with Golson; even though he looks like a lock to end up there, we have to keep him on the final 53 before we can do it.

The ballsy move would be to get rid of J. Jones.

I really wish one of our offensive linemen would learn how to do the long snapping one offseason and free up that spot. Just like having the backup QB be the holder instead of the punter, this is something that is a relatively simple advantage to gain and I have no idea why more teams don't do.

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Landry Jones should be the one who goes, no question. I pointed out this exact same scenario in the thread about him, and it would be beyond infuriating if it actually happened.

Archer also contributes nothing, and I mean NOTHING, but will probably be on the opening roster because of Bell's weed thing. If not him, they'll bring up another RB.

If for some reason we insist on Jones and Archer both staying, we should give Chickillo the spot of one of our expendable DBs ... Webb, Ventrone, etc. - although that probably means we try to put Holliday on the PS and he gets taken immediately, another sacrifice to Landry Jones.

The rookie IR rule is really screwing us with Golson; even though he looks like a lock to end up there, we have to keep him on the final 53 before we can do it.

The ballsy move would be to get rid of J. Jones.

I really wish one of our offensive linemen would learn how to do the long snapping one offseason and free up that spot. Just like having the backup QB be the holder instead of the punter, this is something that is a relatively simple advantage to gain and I have no idea why more teams don't do.

I agree with getting rid of Landry Jones. If the FO won't outright release him, then send him to the PS. There is 0% chance that another team steals him from us to carry on their 53 for the year.

I somewhat disagree regarding Archer. Yes, he was utterly useless last year, but I've seen enough (granted, not a lot) to warrant him making the 53. He has looked okay in return duties and has shown a little more patience when running with the ball. He still needs to slow down a bit, IMO, to allow his blockers to set up.

There is no chance that Archer or JJ get cut. Unless we see an injury to a LB, I don't see Chickillo on the team. Unfortunately, I can see a team like the 49ers grabbing him off waivers.

steelreserve
08-24-2015, 01:59 PM
If we send Chikillo to the PS, it's not a possibility that someone else will grab him; it is a certainty.

So in that light, the question is: Who would you rather have on the team and see if they pan out? Chickillo or Landry Jones? That's a no-brainer.

Chickillo or Archer? A little tougher, but I just don't think Archer has a future in this league, so go with the guy who might.

Chickillo or J. Jones? Well, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on that one. I don't think we've seen enough from Jones and he might actually turn out OK. But fuck those first two guys.

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 02:09 PM
If we send Chikillo to the PS, it's not a possibility that someone else will grab him; it is a certainty.

So in that light, the question is: Who would you rather have on the team and see if they pan out? Chickillo or Landry Jones? That's a no-brainer.

Chickillo or Archer? A little tougher, but I just don't think Archer has a future in this league, so go with the guy who might.

Chickillo or J. Jones? Well, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on that one. I don't think we've seen enough from Jones and he might actually turn out OK. But fuck those first two guys.

No argument from me. I get tired of the conventional "wisdom" that often dictates these decisions. Screw a 3rd QB. Screw the guy who is a "special teams beast." The special teams guy is generally a guy that is so limited that he will never have a true position - Ventrone & Garvin for example. Throw Landry Jones & Ventrone out and give guys like Chick and Wild or Darby the opportunity to play. Isn't the idea to find guys in the draft that can become long-time starters? Why we continue to throw guys like Nick Williams and potentially Chickillo into the waiver pool, yet keep marginal NFL players like Ventrone & Landry Jones, is mind-boggling.

But, then again, I've never gotten a paycheck with the NFL logo on it, so what do I know? :noidea:

teegre
08-24-2015, 03:11 PM
My bad. Logic and my wife have no place in what I want to happen either. [emoji57]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_oxZqD6wQ&app=desktop

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 03:20 PM
http://wereblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/argue.jpg

Steeldude
08-24-2015, 04:06 PM
No argument from me. I get tired of the conventional "wisdom" that often dictates these decisions. Screw a 3rd QB. Screw the guy who is a "special teams beast." The special teams guy is generally a guy that is so limited that he will never have a true position - Ventrone & Garvin for example. Throw Landry Jones & Ventrone out and give guys like Chick and Wild or Darby the opportunity to play. Isn't the idea to find guys in the draft that can become long-time starters? Why we continue to throw guys like Nick Williams and potentially Chickillo into the waiver pool, yet keep marginal NFL players like Ventrone & Landry Jones, is mind-boggling.

But, then again, I've never gotten a paycheck with the NFL logo on it, so what do I know? :noidea:

Wait, are you referring to Archer as a special teams beast?

SteeleReign
08-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Nope. Ventrone and Garvin are typically referred to in that way. And they may be, but I hate giving up potential future starters for a limited special teams-only player today.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
I don't think that Landry or Dri deserve a roster spot. Neither has what it takes to be a good player in the NFL.

Archer doesn't have the ability to see the holes in front of him or the elusiveness to get away from tacklers. All that I see is the Steelers continuing to force feed him the ball, hoping that one day he'll break one.

I'd rather have both roster spots taken by players that will actually help us this year.

86WARD
08-24-2015, 06:10 PM
If they let him walk because Landry or Archer stays on the roster over him...it'll be another stubborn, dumb mistake by the front office.

GBMelBlount
08-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Unless he's injury prone.

Steeldude
08-24-2015, 06:50 PM
If they let him walk because Landry or Archer stays on the roster over him...it'll be another stubborn, dumb mistake by the front office.

But, but, but the FO never makes mistakes : )

Steeldude
08-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I don't mean to bump this thread, but I figure it's the best place to ask. Did Chickillo play at all vs the Bills?

vader29
08-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't mean to bump this thread, but I figure it's the best place to ask. Did Chickillo play at all vs the Bills?

I saw him on the field in the 4th quarter but didn't notice him doing anything noteworthy but then again nobody on defense did.

SteeleReign
08-30-2015, 09:37 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how these cuts go. Nothing of note from Chickillo, Wild, or Darby.

Harris looked rough. Archer looked pathetic. Kenzell Doe is in no danger of stealing that role. Does Archer make the team because no one else can do the job?

Didn't see anything from Tyler Murphy. Are they protecting him from injury because he is a lock to make the team? Can Murphy return kicks?

Did Walton outplay Cam Thomas? Haven't watched the entire game again, but if I recall correctly, Walton played before Thomas.

Offensive line depth is non-existent. Every UDFA they brought in is dogshit.

Is this what a young team in transition looks like? Or is this a reflection of failing(ed) draft picks, weak scouting, and/or poor management?

Is there a kicker out there that can kick the ball into the end zone?

Quite a few questions to answer and preseason is about over.

At least we answered one big question...Berry over Wing!

One other observation: I absolutely HATE watching a game called by the opposing team's announcers - can't get names right, graphics displaying the wrong starters, and one of them announced that "Maurice Pouncey is not dressed tonight." No shit moron - he's out for at least 10 games. Don't they have time to do a LITTLE homework on the opposition?!?!

ALLD
08-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Whichever WR they put on the PS will get picked. Not so many good ones in the NFL. Semi-rare and we are stacked. I would trade a couple for some DBs and OL help.

SteeleReign
08-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Whichever WR they put on the PS will get picked. Not so many good ones in the NFL. Semi-rare and we are stacked. I would trade a couple for some DBs and OL help.
Maybe. Got to remember that they have to be on the 53 man roster if chosen from a practice squad. Not many teams that desperate for a WR that they'd throw them on the active roster.

ALLD
08-30-2015, 10:13 AM
We have several #3s and possibly one or more of those could be a genuine #2 after a year in the NFL.

hawaiiansteeler
09-01-2015, 02:26 PM
by Ed Bouchette

--- Someone asked me for a surprise player from this summer for the Steelers. I was at a loss. Rookie Anthony Chickillo had a good first week and was made out to be the next Joey Porter but he now looks like he is practice squad material. There were no surprises from training camp or the preseason. No pleasant ones for them anyway. The surprises came in the other direction – that Cortez Allen has not asserted himself and that they needed to find two kickers, a backup quarterback and a veteran cornerback during the preseason.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/09/01/Don-t-Blame-Butler-for-it

Steeldude
09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
by Ed Bouchette

--- Someone asked me for a surprise player from this summer for the Steelers. I was at a loss. Rookie Anthony Chickillo had a good first week and was made out to be the next Joey Porter but he now looks like he is practice squad material. There were no surprises from training camp or the preseason. No pleasant ones for them anyway. The surprises came in the other direction – that Cortez Allen has not asserted himself and that they needed to find two kickers, a backup quarterback and a veteran cornerback during the preseason.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/09/01/Don-t-Blame-Butler-for-it

But then again, Dupree and Jarvis Jones look like PS material also : )

I feel if Jones shows nothing in the next game then they should consider cutting or trading him.

hawaiiansteeler
09-01-2015, 02:54 PM
I feel if Jones shows nothing in the next game then they should consider cutting or trading him.

but they won't...

Steeldude
09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
but they won't...

Sometimes I wonder what they actually see in certain players.

The Steelers are going to need put 45+ points on the board to beat the Patriots.

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I've been disappointed in training camp/preseason this year. Usually there's at least a couple of new players to get excited about. There's no one for me this year.

SteeleReign
09-01-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been disappointed in training camp/preseason this year. Usually there's at least a couple of new players to get excited about. There's no one for me this year.
Interesting point. You're absolutely right, the player I'm most excited about may not make the roster - Chickillo.

I hate to say it, but I think Jordan Berry is the new player I'm most excited about. At least for this year. Hopefully Dupree, Golson, and Grant will be killing it next year.

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Interesting point. You're absolutely right, the player I'm most excited about may not make the roster - Chickillo.

I hate to say it, but I think Jordan Berry is the new player I'm most excited about. At least for this year. Hopefully Dupree, Golson, and Grant will be killing it next year.

When you're most excited about the new punter, that's got to tell you something. It's a sad day.

SteeleReign
09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
When you're most excited about the new punter, that's got to tell you something. It's a sad day.
So true. Actually, if we're talking about players new to the team, I'm pretty stoked about D'Angelo Williams too.

hawaiiansteeler
09-01-2015, 05:24 PM
by Jon Ledyard

Anthony Chickillo got time against starters, so of course I revisited his game against the #Bills in-depth:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-film-room-re-visiting-anthony-chickillo/

SteeleReign
09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
by Jon Ledyard

Anthony Chickillo got time against starters, so of course I revisited his game against the #Bills in-depth:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-film-room-re-visiting-anthony-chickillo/
Pretty good analysis. Definitely seems as though he's made enough of a positive impact to make the team.