PDA

View Full Version : Predicting the Steelers 53 man roster

LLT
08-23-2015, 04:35 AM
Predicting the Steelers 53 man roster
by Perry Biggerstaff
Aug 22, 2015

As we get further into the 2015 preseason, everyone is surely wondering who makes this team and who doesn’t. Based on what we have seen so far, here is my first attempt in predicting the Steelers 53 man roster.

Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkoswki, Tyler Murphy (WR/QB) Breakdown: There are no questions with this unit until the third string. Ben is playing the best ball of his career. Gradkowski is adequate as a 2nd stringer. Landry Jones is desperately trying to stay on the team, but it may be time to jettison the 4th round pick and replace him with someone who, at least, shows position versatility.

Wide Receiver: Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Sammie Coates. Breakdown: Brown, Wheaton and Bryant make up one of the most talented wide receiver corps in the NFL. Coates has flashed talent and as a third round pick will make the team. There are some voices out there who think we need to cut Heyward-Bey, however, they fail to see his value on special teams and as a veteran influence.

Running Backs/Fullback: Le’Veon Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Josh Harris, Dri Archer, Will Johnson. Breakdown: Bell will miss the first two games but will, once again, be one of the best backs in the league upon his return. DeAngelo Williams is a solid backup and will fill in sufficiently. Josh Harris is serviceable and Dri Archer may be coming into his own as a running back and receiver.

Read More @ http://stillcurtain.com/2015/08/22/predicting-steelers-53-man-roster/

Steeldude
08-23-2015, 06:08 AM
I would let Archer go. 3 RBs and FBs are fine. Use Archer's spot for another position.

Howard Jones is exactly what his draft card stated. He is a good athlete, but dumber than hell. I agree with this person's take on the OLBs.

86WARD
08-23-2015, 06:19 AM
I would let Archer go. 3 RBs and FBs are fine. Use Archer's spot for another position.

Howard Jones is exactly what his draft card stated. He is a good athlete, but dumber than hell. I agree with this person's take on the OLBs.

I agree. Also there's no way I see Murphy as the third QB over Landry. With the improvement he has shown and the comments Colbert has made, I get the picture that if there are locks to make this roster, Jones is one of them. I hate to say...

salamander
08-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Good breakdown, Perry. I always look forward to reading your articles.

There isn't much on there that I disagree with. I still think the Steelers are too stubborn to give up on Landry Jones, however.

LLT
08-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I agree. Also there's no way I see Murphy as the third QB over Landry. With the improvement he has shown and the comments Colbert has made, I get the picture that if there are locks to make this roster, Jones is one of them. I hate to say...

Jones is a tough one for me. Even with the improvement...he is STILL just a third string QB with a low ceiling. Murphy on the other hand, provides solid ST play and can also be the "insurance policy" if something drastic were to happen to Ben and Bruce.

I don't think there is a chance that they cut Archer this year.

SteelerFanInStl
08-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Murphy as the 3rd QB would be the smart way to go but I don't see the Steelers doing that.

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 10:00 AM
So if Jones is a terrible option as a 3rd Qb - and he very well may be - how is Murphy better? He is an even worse passer than Jones is. You can't have it both ways.

Otherwise, great breakdown.

Too bad about Howard Jones not making another step forward in his development. I think the Steelers should simply stop signing people named "Jones". It has not been working well.

SteelerFanInStl
08-23-2015, 10:11 AM
So if Jones is a terrible option as a 3rd Qb - and he very well may be - how is Murphy better? He is an even worse passer than Jones is. You can't have it both ways.

Because Murphy isn't a complete waste of a roster spot. He can play WR and STs and can fill in as an emergency QB. He's also much more athletic than Landry, which would allow us to add some additional wrinkles into our playbook.

It really doesn't matter if it's Landry or Murphy in the game at QB, we're not winning with either of them.

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Because Murphy isn't a complete waste of a roster spot. He can play WR and STs and can fill in as an emergency QB. He's also much more athletic than Landry, which would allow us to add some additional wrinkles into our playbook.

It really doesn't matter if it's Landry or Murphy in the game at QB, we're not winning with either of them.

Sure he can do some "read option" nonsense. Great. That crap does not fly in the NFL. It worked for a hot minute - just like the Wildcat. Then everyone adjusted and now it doesn't work unless you can actually pass out of it. Murphy can not cut it as an NFL passer. Jones doesn't really either - but he is more of threat than Murphy.

Realistically, does no one here believe that Jones can do what Old Man River Batch did his last year here? We seem to all forget that those last games that Batch appeared in he was totally done as a passer. He handed off and hit a few dump-offs.

polamalubeast
08-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Sure he can do some "read option" nonsense. Great. That crap does not fly in the NFL. It worked for a hot minute - just like the Wildcat. Then everyone adjusted and now it doesn't work unless you can actually pass out of it. Murphy can not cut it as an NFL passer. Jones doesn't really either - but he is more of threat than Murphy.

Realistically, does no one here believe that Jones can do what Old Man River Batch did his last year here? We seem to all forget that those last games that Batch appeared in he was totally done as a passer. He handed off and hit a few dump-offs.

In 2012, true that Batch was awful against the browns, but the Steelers have won a stunning win against the future super bowl champions on the road in Baltimore.

This game would have been a shutout with Jones!

LLT
08-23-2015, 10:33 AM

This is the way that I looked at it.

Instead of thinking of Murphy as the third QB...think of it as the Steelers going down to 2 QB's but having a solid special teamer who can fill in during an emergency. (which is almost definitely NOT going to happen).

JoeyPorter55
08-23-2015, 10:36 AM
With all of this L. Jones T. Murphy QB debate my big question is when you have a college stud like Boyd who MIGHT make some waves in the NFL if he has the proper time to learn and coaching, why do you cut him before even seeing what he can do in preseason? The fans were excited. If our other QBs were dominating then I completely understand, but it's not like we had Derek Anderson as our #3 guy. I know I'm not paid for my input (thus meaning I'm not a professional) but I swear to God I could make some better decisions than our guys calling the shots.

LLT
08-23-2015, 10:47 AM
With all of this L. Jones T. Murphy QB debate my big question is when you have a college stud like Boyd who MIGHT make some waves in the NFL if he has the proper time to learn and coaching, why do you cut him before even seeing what he can do in preseason? The fans were excited. If our other QBs were dominating then I completely understand, but it's not like we had Derek Anderson as our #3 guy. I know I'm not paid for my input (thus meaning I'm not a professional) but I swear to God I could make some better decisions than our guys calling the shots.

If you are not using your third QB slot as a developmental player slot....then you might as well go to two QB's.

Never forget that College QB stats "can" be a result of a system as well as of talent. Boyd never made the 53 man roster on the Jets...so its not just our coaches who felt as if he didn't meet the standard.

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Jones overall college stats: 16,646 passing yards and 123 touchdowns. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/landry-jones-1.html

Boyd's overall college stats: 11,904 and passing touchdowns with 107. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tajh-boyd-1.html

The biggest difference is that Boyd failed to master the fundamental concept of taking a snap from center. As well as the required footwork to make 3 and 7 step drops from under center.

To LLT's point - I like the idea of basically ditching the 3rd QB spot. But if that is the case, may as well list Murphy with the WR's. That is what he is.

LLT
08-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Jones overall college stats: 16,646 passing yards and 123 touchdowns. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/landry-jones-1.html

Boyd's overall college stats: 11,904 and passing touchdowns with 107. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tajh-boyd-1.html

The biggest difference is that Boyd failed to master the fundamental concept of taking a snap from center. As well as the required footwork to make 3 and 7 step drops from under center.

To LLT's point - I like the idea of basically ditching the 3rd QB spot. But if that is the case, may as well list Murphy with the WR's. That is what he is.

I had him posted as a QB/WR when I originally wrote the article ....just as I originally had Archer as a RB/WR....I changed it so that I didn't have to go down that rabbit trail at this point. Thought it would make for a WHOLE different article with analysis in position versatility.

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 11:03 AM
I had him posted as a QB/WR when I originally wrote the article ....just as I originally had Archer as a RB/WR....I changed it so that I didn't have to go down that rabbit trail at this point. Thought it would make for a WHOLE different article with analysis in position versatility.

Ahh. Yeah, I can see not wanting to go down that particular road at all.

LLT
08-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Ahh. Yeah, I can see not wanting to go down that particular road at all.

I was also going to add a practice team prediction...but three hours later, I gave up. REALLY hard to consider all the variables. Much harder that just saying "These are the best players so they should make the team.

Its not simply the best players remaining....its developmental probability...possible team needs (weak depth at some positions)...etc.

Though I am interested in who everyone thinks may be a practice team possibility.

Thoughts?

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I was also going to add a practice team prediction...but three hours later, I gave up. REALLY hard to consider all the variables. Much harder that just saying "These are the best players so they should make the team.

Its not simply the best players remaining....its developmental probability...possible team needs (weak depth at some positions)...etc.

Though I am interested in who everyone thinks may be a practice team possibility.

Thoughts?

As much as the available prospects in camp have not shown much - I think the Steelers have made it clear they are searching for interior OL depth. So someone out of that group makes the PS. Figure a WR or even 2 - they have the talent and the offense is run through the passing game now. Maybe Clear at TE. So that is about 3-4 spots there. Maybe the loser of the safety and CB battles?

After that...man I don't know. Does Howard Jones get another year to try and develop? Or do they cut bait? What about cuts from other teams? This is REALLY very difficult.

hawaiiansteeler
08-23-2015, 11:45 AM
there's no way I see Murphy as the third QB over Landry. With the improvement he has shown and the comments Colbert has made, I get the picture that if there are locks to make this roster, Jones is one of them.

I agree, Landry Jones will make the 53 man roster and Tyler Murphy will make the practice squad...

JoeyPorter55
08-23-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't have a problem with heading into the season with 2 QBs either. I've just got bad luck when it comes to my favorite backup QBs with potential getting cut before given much of a chance. At least let me get some preseason looks!!

hawaiiansteeler
08-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Thoughts?

RB Jawon Chisholm

FB Roosevelt Nix

WR/QB Tyler Murphy

TE Cameron Clear

DE Ethan Hemer

OLB Howard Jones

S Allen Darby / Ian Wild / Gerod Holliman

CB B.W. Webb

WR C.J Goodwin/ Shakim Phillips

OG B.J. Finney / Miles Dieffenbach

OT Mitchell Van Dyk, Kevin Palmer

LLT
08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I agree, Landry Jones will make the 53 man roster and Tyler Murphy will make the practice squad...

Murphy and Landry both made arguments to make the team last night. Nice that its even a debate. But yea...if I wrote the article this morning, I would have to "lean" towards Landry.

steelreserve
08-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I agree with most of that article, pretty good analysis.

As stated many times above, I don't see the need for a third QB if he's a low-ceiling guy who's incapable of even keeping us in a game if called upon.

I also would rather get rid of Archer, not only to give the roster spot to someone more deserving, but also because I'm a lot more excited to see what Harris can do than to see more of what I know Archer can't do.

I don't think we need to carry three other HBs in addition to Bell, even during the suspension. If you're down to your third-string guy within a game, you're SUPER unlucky, and it's probably only for the last 10 minutes or so anyway. I think we could find a way to manage without Archer without it being a huge risk; it's only for two games and Archer isn't really a viable RB anyway.

Of course, the article is about what probably WILL happen, not what SHOULD happen.

B&GFever
08-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I would be surprised ( pleasantly so ) if Murphey cleared waivers to make it to the practice squad , but frankly I do not see that happening .

If he is going to be a Steeler he will most likely have to make the final 53 , he just showed to much as a Wideout in his limited opportunities .

I suppose they could keep him out of the final 2 pre season games in order to try and slide him in the backdoor of the practice squad but if he continues to play and perform at close to the level he did on Sunday I just do not see him clearing waivers

Steeldude
08-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Gradkowski isn't healthy so I seriously doubt Landry will be cut.

ETL
08-25-2015, 12:43 AM
My 53:

QB (2) Roethlisberger, Landry Jones
RB (3) Bell - out first 2 wks, Williams, Archer, Zach Zenner (we pick him up after Detroit cuts him)
FB (1) Johnson
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Clear (Jesse James - Practice Squad)
WR (6) Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, Coates, Heyward-Bey, Murphy
OL (9) Beachum, Foster, Wallace, DeCastro, Gilbert, Villanueva, BJ Finney, Hubbard, Whimpey, (Pouncey - out for 8 wk)

DL (6) Heyward, Tuitt, McClendon, McCullers, Thomas, Walton
OLB (5) Harrison, Moates, Dupree, Jones, Chickillo
ILB (4) Shazier, Timmons, Williams, Spence
CB (6) Gay, Allen, Boykins, Blake, Grant, Fogg
S (5) Thomas, Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Wild

ST(3) Hartley, Warren, Wing

86WARD
08-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Gradkowski isn't healthy so I seriously doubt Landry will be cut.

I could see Gradkowski getting cut before Jones at this point...lol.

Steeldude
08-25-2015, 06:42 AM
I could see Gradkowski getting cut before Jones at this point...lol.

I hope another team releases a quality backup in the next 2 weeks.

86WARD
08-25-2015, 06:51 AM
But would the Steelers pick one up? You know how "hard" it is to train a guy and get them up to speed in Haley's offense...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 02:31 PM
My 53:

the Steelers will definitely carry 3 QBs, there's no way we want Landry Jones to be the first QB to come in if anything happens to Ben...

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2015, 03:43 PM
My 53:

RB (3) Bell - out first 2 wks, Williams, Archer, Zach Zenner (we pick him up after Detroit cuts him)
FB (1) Johnson
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Clear (Jesse James - Practice Squad)
WR (6) Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, Coates, Heyward-Bey, Murphy
OL (9) Beachum, Foster, Wallace, DeCastro, Gilbert, Villanueva, BJ Finney, Hubbard, Whimpey, (Pouncey - out for 8 wk)

OLB (5) Harrison, Moates, Dupree, Jones, Chickillo
ILB (4) Shazier, Timmons, Williams, Spence
CB (6) Gay, Allen, Boykins, Blake, Grant, Fogg
S (5) Thomas, Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Wild

ST(3) Hartley, Warren, Wing

this is the most bizarre, but interesting 53 ive seen so far. what do you know about zach zenner?

also im absolutely shocked you were able to keep LB's down to 9 and include Chickillo even with the inclusion of long shots like Fogg, Wild, Murphy, and Clear

steelreserve
08-25-2015, 04:21 PM
also im absolutely shocked you were able to keep LB's down to 9 and include Chickillo even with the inclusion of long shots like Fogg, Wild, Murphy, and Clear

I think he's working with two more roster spots than we'll actually have. One by only carrying two QBs, when all indications are they're going to be stubborn and keep 3 including Jones. Then another for Golson, who's probably going on IR but we're not allowed to put him there until after the final cut to 53 players. On top of that, I bet someone like Garvin finds his way onto the roster as mainly a special-teams player.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2015, 04:57 PM
my projected opening day 53 man roster:

QB (3) Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Michael Vick
RB (3) Williams, Archer, Harris (Bell suspended first 2 games)
FB (1) Will Johnson
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Jesse James
WR (5) Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, Coates, Heyward-Bey
OL (8) Beachum, Foster, Wallace, DeCastro, Gilbert, Villanueva, Hubbard, Legursky (Pouncey IR/designation to return) (Mike Adams PUP)

OLB (5) Harrison, Moats, Dupree, Jarvis Jones, Chickillo
ILB (5) Shazier, Timmons, Williams, Spence, Garvin
CB (6) Gay, Allen, Boykin, Blake, Grant, Webb/Fogg
S (5) Thomas, Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Darby/Wild

ST(3) Hartley, Warren, Wing/Berry

ETL
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
I think we can carry 2 QBs if we have Tyler Murphy.
I think Ian Wild could replace Garvin as the special team ace. We have more questions at safety than ILB. I would rather have the depth at safety.

Who knows? Fogg may be better than Cortez Allen but because Allen has the contract - we may undervalue Fogg and may regret it.

My roster stays the same except replace Vick for Landry and Legursky for Hubbard or Whimpey.

SteelerFanInStl
08-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I just hope that we don't cut Fogg for the sake of keeping Webb. I see much more promise out of Fogg.

86WARD
08-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I think we can carry 2 QBs if we have Tyler Murphy.
I think Ian Wild could replace Garvin as the special team ace. We have more questions at safety than ILB. I would rather have the depth at safety.

Who knows? Fogg may be better than Cortez Allen but because Allen has the contract - we may undervalue Fogg and may regret it.

My roster stays the same except replace Vick for Landry and Legursky for Hubbard or Whimpey.

The team is going to carry 3 QBs.......no question.

Count Steeler
08-26-2015, 07:09 PM
The team is going to carry 3 QBs.......no question.

:frusty:

hawaiiansteeler
08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
my updated projected opening day 53 man roster:

QB (3) Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Michael Vick
RB (3) Williams, Archer, Harris (Bell suspended first 2 games)
FB (1) Will Johnson
TE (3) Miller, Spaeth, Jesse James
WR (5) Brown, Wheaton, Coates, Heyward-Bey, Murphy (Bryant 4 game suspension)
OL (8) Beachum, Foster, Wallace, DeCastro, Gilbert, Villanueva, Hubbard, Legursky (Pouncey IR/designation to return) (Mike Adams PUP)

OLB (5) Harrison, Moats, Dupree, Jarvis Jones, Chickillo
ILB (5) Shazier, Timmons, Williams, Spence, Garvin
CB (6) Gay, Allen, Boykin, Blake, Grant, Webb/Fogg
S (5) Thomas, Mitchell, Allen, Golden, Darby/Wild

ST(3) Hartley, Warren, Wing/Berry

B&GFever
08-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Bryants suspension increases the odds ( if only in the short term ) that Murphy sticks on the final 53

hawaiiansteeler
08-28-2015, 10:03 PM
My 53:

Detroit may not cut Zenner, he had 8 carries for 85 yards and a TD including a 41 yard run against the Jaguars today...

86WARD
08-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Yeah...Zenner looked really good last night. Ran well and ran hard. Mould love to have him over Harris.

ALLD
08-29-2015, 07:09 AM
I would keep Murphy, he looked good against GB.

Nadroj 20
08-29-2015, 08:31 AM
I would keep Murphy, he looked good against GB.

QB and WR depth.

ETL
08-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Detroit may not cut Zenner, he had 8 carries for 85 yards and a TD including a 41 yard run against the Jaguars today...

I saw that. I was hoping he would have an off day.

Detroits first 3 RBs are set so Zenner may be a luxury they may not be able to afford. I'm hoping he gets cut in the numbers game.

We we really don't have a RB in camp generating a buzz this year and we really need depth. Both Bell and Deangelo have missed lots of games due to injury.

Zenner has the buzz in Detroit that guys like Barry Foster, Willie Parker and Issac Redman did as unknowns in camp. Granted that Redman was never a star but he was a dependable legitimate back. We really need one of those at this time.

86WARD
08-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Redman?!? How dare you...

So first step would be to see Detroit cut him...do we really think the front office would step up and sign him?

ETL
08-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Redman?!? How dare you...

So first step would be to see Detroit cut him...do we really think the front office would step up and sign him?

I think GMs know which teams have extra depth at what positions. For example - I think others know that we have depth at LB and believe it or not - at CB. I wouldn't be surprised if the LB that we cut or if we cut Fogg - those guys may get picked up.

Right now - I'm not impressed with Chisholm or Harris and I can't imagine Archer taking a legitimate hit. Unless Harris lights it up tonight - I think we need to find more depth.

86WARD
08-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I think the Lions will find a way to keep Zenner. Bell is injured at the moment and he's battling Winn for that last spot...but with Bells injury, maybe the Lions keep both...along with Ameer. The Lions backfield looks young and very promising.

hawaiiansteeler
08-29-2015, 05:38 PM
with the first round of cuts looming, Chuck Noll's quote comes to mind:

"Cutting will not be tough; stopping will be..."

fansince'76
08-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Berry booms a 60+ yard punt. Brad Wing, pack your bags.

tube517
08-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Berry booms a 60+ yard punt. Brad Wing, pack your bags.

Take Danny Smith with him and put Dri Archer in the carry on bag.

Rotorhead
08-29-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm am hoping for Murphy and Fogg to make the 53

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2015, 07:09 PM

A very fitting statement for this team.

86WARD
08-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Take Danny Smith with him and put Dri Archer in the carry on bag.

I support this!! Smith is terrible...and it's becoming more clear the longer he is in Pitrsburgh.

hawaiiansteeler
08-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Steelers Projected First Round Of Cuts - 2015

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-projected-first-round-of-cuts-2015/

Shoes
08-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Period!