PDA

View Full Version : Jon Gruden: Steelers should start Dennis Dixon in Ben Roethlisberger's absence

polamalubeast
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Former Super Bowl-winning-coach-turned ESPN analyst Jon Gruden has a suggestion for Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin in choosing his replacement quarterback during Ben Roethlsiberger's suspension.

Go with Little Ben.

That would be Dennis Dixon, the third-year, two-way threat who can replicate some of Roethlisberger's free-wheeling, play-making when the pocket disintegrates.

Veterans Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch are also in the mix.

The Steelers confirmed that commissioner Roger Goodell will sit down with Roethlisberger on Friday to determine the extent of his suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. Goodell is originally set the ban at 4-6 games, with latitude to change it based on how well he feels Roethlisberger responded to behavioral counseling and other guidelines orginally.

"The Steelers are a team that really relies on Ben Roethlisberger's improvisation,'' Gruden said Wednesday during a Monday Night Football conference call. "I've never seen a guy create more offense on his own. He gets out of some of the most incredible situations where he makes plays where they have him sacked twice and he still completes a pass.

"The guy who fits them the best right now, the guy I would go with is Dixon.''

read more

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/jon-gruden-steelers-should-start-dennis-dixon-in-ben-roethlisbergers-absence/1

siss
09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Didn't little Ben get Big Ben in trouble in the first place?

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Billybob.....Steelers should start Batch in Bens absence.

Steeltreal
09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Get this man a Guinness draft beer, cuz he's Brilliant!

Crow-Magnon
09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I would bet if Gruden was the Steelers HC and Tomlin was a broadcaster and made this statement, Gruden would be yelling at Tomlin to STFU. :D

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I like Tomlins approach to this.Noone needs to know anyway,who the opening QB is going to be.The players should have a better idea than the media. Their just trying to come up with more crap to try and controvert the whole thing that Ben is not the starter.I don't mind Gruden though. Sorry John,but you have to wait and see like all of us. BATCH !!!! wink wink

Crow-Magnon
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I like Tomlins approach to this.Noone needs to know anyway,who the opening QB is going to be.The players should have a better idea than the media. Their just trying to come up with more crap to try and controvert the whole thing that Ben is not the starter.I don't mind Gruden though. Sorry John,but you have to wait and see like all of us. BATCH !!!! wink wink

I agree with you, with the exception of hearing comments like Ward's expressing dismay about not knowing who the starting QB will be. Unless he's in on the ruse. And in the NFL, anything is possible. Harbaugh gets grief from Ravens fans about being mum on injuries. Seriously, as long as the HC knows, who else needs to know until crunch time?

43Hitman
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Dude, Batch would be out for the season by the end of the first half. He's not starting.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Dude, Batch would be out for the season by the end of the first half. He's not starting.

You have the inside imformation everyone so desires?

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM

If so , let the man go down in a blaze of glory!

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
He earned his right,no matter if he gets injured or not. He may seem brittle to some,but i trust him.If that injury would come,and who's to say it will, then we move to plan Leftwich. Not everyone will ever agree on the same topic.It just seems to me to be clear he will be the opening day QB.Lack of playing in camp,and preseason speaks volumes to me.Tells me he already has the shit , i mean stuff down. The other 2 options,well good luck with that.

HometownGal
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
If so , let the man go down in a blaze of glory!

How 'bout they cut him with a smile before the season starts? Imho - he is a waste of a roster spot. Nothing would make me happier, though, than to have Charlie hired as a coach next season. I think he'd be a better coach than he ever was an NFL QB.

Who really listens to Chuuuuuuucky anyway?

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jon-gruden.jpg

GodfatherofSoul
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Did you see the shot he took standing in the pocket to get a completion? I'll admit he's brittle, but I'd rather take my chances with a QB I know is quality; crossing my fingers hoping he doesn't get hurt rather than crossing my fingers hoping he doesn't toss it to the other team. Leftwich obviously hasn't impressed the coaches or Dixon wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
He has been a reliable back-up for our team everytime we have needed him.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Who is Chuuuuuuucky ? Is that what they call Charlie?

GoSlash27
09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with Gruden, but it's all up to Mike.

steeldevil
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I agree with Gruden. But who am I?

SteelerSal
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Did you see the shot he took standing in the pocket to get a completion? I'll admit he's brittle, but I'd rather take my chances with a QB I know is quality; crossing my fingers hoping he doesn't get hurt rather than crossing my fingers hoping he doesn't toss it to the other team. Leftwich obviously hasn't impressed the coaches or Dixon wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

If your talking about that nice touch pass to Vincent along the sidelines with a defender draped all over him....I saw it and it was a thing of beauty, plus Btch took a hell of a hit.

polamalubeast
09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Gruden and Tomlin work together to Tampa Bay for 4 years(2002-2005)!......Tomlin could listen!

I agree with Gruden and I want her to be our starting Dixon for the beginning of the season.Yes, he has made mistakes against Denver, but errors can be corrected.

I think that Dixon is more productive than Leftwith.Byron has been very bad against Denver, too.The important thing for Dixon would not make stupid mistakes like he made in Denver and I think Dixon would give us a better chance of winning during the absence of Ben

BigBenFn7
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I think starting Dixon is the way to go. If he absolutely sucks the first game, then take him out and put Leftwich in. However, if he does extremely well or even pretty well, then he also becomes a potential bargaining chip down the line if there's a spot that needs filled. Perhaps could deal him to Arizona or Buffalo for a nice piece, down the road of course. And if nothing else, at least you will know exactly what you have in him and where his potential can lead.

43Hitman
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Let's not forget that Lefty wouldn't even be around if Charlie could have stayed healthy when Ben got hurt.

HometownGal
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Let's not forget that Lefty wouldn't even be around if Charlie could have stayed healthy when Ben got hurt.

I don't know if that's true or not, Pete. I still believe that when the Ben saga jumped off and the Steelers learned he was going to be suspended by GoodHell, they wanted a reliable backup QB as Dixon is still somewhat "green". Charlie isn't reliable for more than a series or two and I think the FO and the coaches know that. I will be shocked if he isn't cut.

Sure Lefty didn't look impressive during his short stint in Denver this past Sunday, but he looked pretty good prior to that game and I really believe the Steelers feel more comfortable and confident with him behind center than either Dixon or Botch.

HometownGal
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
We all clearly saw how ineffective Dixon was against Denver's first team D which only reiterated what I've been saying all along about him - he's extremely talented and a tremendous athlete and is our QB of the future, but he's just not ready NOW.

As for Charlie - sorry - I'd rather have Cliff Stoudt back there. :horror: He wasn't a good QB in Detroit though he had a ton of talent on his O and every time he has had to come in as a backup here, I shudder as he has the happiest feet of any QB I think I've seen in 4+ decades of being a Steelers and NFL fan. I'll never forget Charlie's "idea" of a lateral pass a few years back. Egads! I've just never been impressed with the guy as a QB.

43Hitman
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know if that's true or not, Pete. I still believe that when the Ben saga jumped off and the Steelers learned he was going to be suspended by GoodHell, they wanted a reliable backup QB as Dixon is still somewhat "green". Charlie isn't reliable for more than a series or two and I think the FO and the coaches know that. I will be shocked if he isn't cut.

Sure Lefty didn't look impressive during his short stint in Denver this past Sunday, but he looked pretty good prior to that game and I really believe the Steelers feel more comfortable and confident with him behind center than either Dixon or Botch.

I mean before Ben got into his troubles. Ben hurt his knee then promptly Batch broke his wrist which lead the Steelers to go get Lefty a few years ago.

tube517
09-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I also think Batch should not start but nobody and I mean NOBODY is worse than Cliff Stoudt. That debacle of a season in 1983 was worse than Mark Malone and Bubby Brister combined. Stoudt was plain HORRIBLE. He threw interceptions better than he could hand off. He just plain SUCKED and is the worst starting QB I have ever seen play an entire season for the Steelers in my lifetime.
He sucked so bad that he ran to the USFL in 1984. When he came with the Birmingham Stallions to play the Pittsburgh Maulers that season, the Pittsburgh fans pelted him with snowballs during the game. He was that bad.

We all clearly saw how ineffective Dixon was against Denver's first team D which only reiterated what I've been saying all along about him - he's extremely talented and a tremendous athlete and is our QB of the future, but he's just not ready NOW.

As for Charlie - sorry - I'd rather have Cliff Stoudt back there. :horror: He wasn't a good QB in Detroit though he had a ton of talent on his O and every time he has had to come in as a backup here, I shudder as he has the happiest feet of any QB I think I've seen in 4+ decades of being a Steelers and NFL fan. I'll never forget Charlie's "idea" of a lateral pass a few years back. Egads! I've just never been impressed with the guy as a QB.

Galax Steeler
09-02-2010, 03:49 AM
How 'bout they cut him with a smile before the season starts? Imho - he is a waste of a roster spot. Nothing would make me happier, though, than to have Charlie hired as a coach next season. I think he'd be a better coach than he ever was an NFL QB.

Who really listens to Chuuuuuuucky anyway?

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jon-gruden.jpg

That just made my morning I laughed my ass off.

GoSlash27
09-02-2010, 05:37 AM
HTG,

*Everybody* was ineffective against Denver's first team D. Doesn't mean Dixon isn't ready. Ben had his fair share of rookie mistakes too, but we still started him.

Kaeg
09-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Wow! It seems all QBs on the roster now have advocates here. This is making the whole thing even more interesting to me. I think I can see an upside and downside to each, so I have to admit that after 3 preseason games I'm probably more confused about it than I was before the 1st one.

HometownGal
09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
HTG,

*Everybody* was ineffective against Denver's first team D. Doesn't mean Dixon isn't ready. Ben had his fair share of rookie mistakes too, but we still started him.

Ben looked pretty good against Denver's first team D and I think we can all agree on that. Lefty and Botch played against Denver's 2nd and 3rd stringers but in fairness to Byron, he didn't play that long. While I will agree he didn't look too spiffy out there Sunday night against their backups, he did fairly well playing with the first team in both the Lions and especially the Giants games. I still believe he is the more reliable of the two and definitely the more experienced.

The Cliff Stoudt comment was said in jest. I remember that picklehead all too well. :horror: But imho - Charlie really isn't all that much better. :heh:

Whoever the Steelers decide to put behind center for these first 4 games, I'll support 100%. :tt02:

43Hitman
09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Ben looked pretty good against Denver's first team D and I think we can all agree on that. Lefty and Botch played against Denver's 2nd and 3rd stringers but in fairness to Byron, he didn't play that long. While I will agree he didn't look too spiffy out there Sunday night against their backups, he did fairly well playing with the first team in both the Lions and especially the Giants games. I still believe he is the more reliable of the two and definitely the more experienced.

The Cliff Stoudt comment was said in jest. I remember that picklehead all too well. :horror: But imho - Charlie really isn't all that much better. :heh:

Whoever the Steelers decide to put behind center for these first 4 games, I'll support 100%. :tt02:

Me too HTG. I sure hope it's not Biotch though.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know,i just think that Charlie should be given a chance.He isn't hurt now.If he happens to become hurt,and lets face it,it could happen to any of them,then that would make the decision easier.Nothing like givin your company years of faithfull service,then being shown the door without even having a chance to show what you can do.I would rather see Hartwig shown the door at this point than Charlie boy.

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
You have the inside imformation everyone so desires?

How can you possibly think Batch is our best option at this point?

HometownGal
09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
How can you possibly think Batch is our best option at this point?

That's what I want to know. :noidea:

Like I said - if he isn't cut when Ben comes back, I'll be totally shocked.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I know his record as a starter for our team. It's only my view on the subject,gosh.

steelpride12
09-02-2010, 05:05 PM
That's why your not a head coach anymore Gruden. No way should Batch ever start for any team again. He was a great back up if not the best for our Steelers back in the day, but age is just such a factor and every time he get's hit he goes down with an injury.

Chidi29
09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
That's why your not a head coach anymore Gruden. No way should Batch ever start for any team again. He was a great back up if not the best for our Steelers back in the day, but age is just such a factor and every time he get's hit he goes down with an injury.

So what? Everyone calls Leftwich a statue and with Dixon's mobility, he's going to get popped if he starts. They all have their injury concerns. It's a moot point as far as I'm concerned.