PDA

View Full Version : Colbert Explains Three Quarterback Philosophy, Jones Improvement

polamalubeast
08-20-2015, 02:32 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/colbert-explains-three-quarterback-philosophy-jones-improvement/

Count Steeler
08-20-2015, 02:44 PM
:frusty:

ALLD
08-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Jones would need to blackmail me to keep him on the team if I was coach.

polamalubeast
08-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 50s50 seconds ago
And Jones throws back to back picks. Overshoots Murphy, right in Dangerfield's hands

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/634467733648773120

86WARD
08-20-2015, 03:56 PM
https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/634467733648773120

There's some sort of comedian joke within that Tweet...Murphy, Dangerfield...it's just not coming to me...

86WARD
08-20-2015, 03:58 PM
This team is so doomed with the current management and coaching staff when Ben decides to hang it up...they think Jones is competent...they're in big trouble. Sure he's gotten better...I can see that and I admit it, but it's still not roster worthy.

Mojouw
08-20-2015, 04:06 PM
I do not think that anyone employed by the Steelers views Jones as Ben's replacement. I think they are hoping for Gradkowski's replacement.

Good back-up Qbs are just as hard to find as starters -- you just never notice you don't have one until they are needed.

I agree with the opposition to the roster spot being used on a 3rd QB -- I'm not sure I will ever understand why the Steelers feel the need to be so rigid on that. But I don't get the "Cut Landry Jones" calls - YET. He isn't very good. He has not lived up to the optimistic views of his abilities coming out of college. But who is on the street - right now - that is any better? No one I am familiar with. Jones can soak up reps in the preseason and if someone better gets cut - swap out your 3rd QB. Pretty straightforward.

ALLD
08-20-2015, 05:09 PM
We could pick up one of the Browns' starting QBs from 09-13' as a backup as long as the Browns stink does not jinx the team.

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Colbert says they keep 3 because it's such an important position and they don't want to get caught short with it...........................

That is hogwash.

What do you call having your #2 and #3 being a 40-year old Batch and a terrible Leftwich? Way to go Colbert. We sure didn't get caught "short" with those back ups, did we?

And in his mind keeping Jones around makes our QB unit deeper? Sniffing paint is not a good thing.

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Keeping Jones as our #3 QB just doesn't make any sense. If he has to actually play, that's an automatic loss. No way around that.

He sucks. Time to get rid of him.

86WARD
08-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Here's the thing...if something significant happened to Ben and the Gradkowski, the Steelers would most likely go out and sign two more QBs and I'd be willing to bet that one of those guys would be a veteran QB and I'd go a step further and say one of them would be Tyler Thigpen, who started games in Haleys offense. He threw 18 TDs and 12 INTs in one season under Haley. I'm pretty sure he'd be better than Jones...

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 07:45 PM
I do not think that anyone employed by the Steelers views Jones as Ben's replacement. I think they are hoping for Gradkowski's replacement.

Good back-up Qbs are just as hard to find as starters -- you just never notice you don't have one until they are needed.

I agree with the opposition to the roster spot being used on a 3rd QB -- I'm not sure I will ever understand why the Steelers feel the need to be so rigid on that. But I don't get the "Cut Landry Jones" calls - YET. He isn't very good. He has not lived up to the optimistic views of his abilities coming out of college. But who is on the street - right now - that is any better? No one I am familiar with. Jones can soak up reps in the preseason and if someone better gets cut - swap out your 3rd QB. Pretty straightforward.

Except the Steelers will never do that. That would be evidence that they weren't very right on Jones all along. They protect their ego, first and foremost.

- - - Updated - - -

Keeping Jones as our #3 QB just doesn't make any sense. If he has to actually play, that's an automatic loss. No way around that.

He sucks. Time to get rid of him.

When we were at the Jags game and saw Ben was done for the night, I turned to my wife and said, "Well, that's all the scoring we will see Pgh do for the night." I wasn't 100% right, but virtually was. You can't win with Jones as your QB, period.

polamalubeast
08-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Except the Steelers will never do that. That would be evidence that they weren't very right on Jones all along. They protect their ego, first and foremost.

If the Steelers are silly as you think, why the Steelers have had most of the time success under Colbert?

Of course this is not perfect, but they probably made good thing!

Moose
08-20-2015, 08:14 PM
I definitely agree that you can't worry about the #3 QB ever playing ( hopefully), but still you'd like to have a QB that can make some plays and possibly score at least a TD. I haven't seen Landry capable of doing anything worth speaking of so far. Why is he still on the team ? My thoughts are that he has pictures of someone in the organization making love with an animal of some sorts.

zulater
08-20-2015, 08:39 PM
The Steelers were 6-3 in games started by Charlie Batch in the capacity of a 3rd string qb. It could be argued that the 05 Super Bowl winning Steelers wouldn't have made the playoffs had not Batch come through after Tommy Maddox went down with injury and helped win two critical mid season games ( at the Packers and vs the Browns). In 2010 he also delivered a critical road win at Tampa Bay (10-6 that season) and aided in another win( @Tennessee) while Ben sat out with his suspension. Had the Steelers not had some competency at 3rd string qb chances are that team doesn't make it to the Super Bowl either.

Of course all that said to this point Landry Jones isn't even close to the mediocre (but competent) Charlie Batch in either ability or leadership.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 01:03 PM
If the Steelers are silly as you think, why the Steelers have had most of the time success under Colbert?

Of course this is not perfect, but they probably made good thing!

I don't know of a single entity that doesn't have room for improvement, except my wife. :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely agree that you can't worry about the #3 QB ever playing ( hopefully), but still you'd like to have a QB that can make some plays and possibly score at least a TD. I haven't seen Landry capable of doing anything worth speaking of so far. Why is he still on the team ? My thoughts are that he has pictures of someone in the organization making love with an animal of some sorts.

He's still on the team because the team has to prove how they are smarter than the fans and media. Just like they had to show us up by giving Kordell a new contract when he had TWO years left on his current one and was playing awful. They showed us! It is clear that LJ will make this team's final roster no matter what happens from here on out.

Cyphon25
08-22-2015, 12:16 PM
I think a part of it in the case of Landry Jones is definitely ego and that is a dangerous thing. I prefer the Podcast guys take on it to keep 2 QB's on the 53 and on the practice squad you keep a guy like Tyler Murphy because he can give you qb reps and receiver reps. There is really no downside to that move because even if he is a bad qb well....So is Landry Jones. He also gives you a different type of QB to practice against.

Unless it is a dire situation I think you keep your best 53 and Jones isn't one of those.

st33lersguy
08-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I have no idea why the people in the organization are trying so hard to convince themselves that he is anything more than a terrible QB who doesn't belong on a roster.

hawaiiansteeler
08-22-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't know of a single entity that doesn't have room for improvement, except my wife. :wink02:

in order to remain happily married, it's important to remember the following rules:

Rule 1) your wife is always right.

Rule 2) if your wife is wrong, see Rule 1...

TeeTee
08-22-2015, 01:28 PM
This just in, Matt Flynn was just signed by the Jets so I guess that does mean he was a free agent, and I suggested we sign him, but someone said he was on the Pats roster. I guess he must not have been. This is one of the weaknesses of the Steelers. They love just staying pat instead of making moves, even when they obviously should. Sure, it works out better than being too herky jerky, but they take "patience" to a new level. So, they sit there and watch practice and preseason games, and refuse to acknowledge when one of their "pet projects" just stinks. I agree if we have to rely on our 3rd string QB, the season is probably over, but wouldn't you at least like to have your 3rd stringer have A SHOT at developing and possibly becoming a decent player some day? Or would you rather not swim with Brooklyn Decker?

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/fp/Brooklyn+Decker+Enjoying+Beach+Maui+2+TBTE-Q5gMiAl.jpg

86WARD
08-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Flynn was on the Pats roster, the just cut him a week or two ago due to an injury. Jets signed him early last week.

TeeTee
08-22-2015, 01:56 PM
The Steelers were 6-3 in games started by Charlie Batch in the capacity of a 3rd string qb. It could be argued that the 05 Super Bowl winning Steelers wouldn't have made the playoffs had not Batch come through after Tommy Maddox went down with injury and helped win two critical mid season games ( at the Packers and vs the Browns). In 2010 he also delivered a critical road win at Tampa Bay (10-6 that season) and aided in another win( @Tennessee) while Ben sat out with his suspension. Had the Steelers not had some competency at 3rd string qb chances are that team doesn't make it to the Super Bowl either.

Of course all that said to this point Landry Jones isn't even close to the mediocre (but competent) Charlie Batch in either ability or leadership.

Most of Batch's games were when he was a little younger and his arm wasn't as weak. By his last season in Pgh, he was only good for a few games, although he won that huge one in Balt. That was his last hurrah. And we all loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

Flynn was on the Pats roster, the just cut him a week or two ago due to an injury. Jets signed him early last week.

You're right. Cut on Aug 10th.

http://nesn.com/2015/08/report-patriots-cut-matt-flynn-expected-to-sign-another-quarterback/

Mojouw
08-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Matt Flynn is a 30 year old journeyman at this point. He has proven that he does not have the talent to succeed outside of the QB incubator that is the Green Bay system. Landry Jones is 26 year old who has flashed some talent and arm strength. He has also stunk for extended stretches at a time. What does all that mean? Not sure - just that I would rather bet on the young guy with the physical tools when we are talking about a 3rd string QB.

I don't think that Landry Jones is really ever going to be much. But how much can you really expect? For comparison sake, the Eagles are going into the season with Bradford (who will get hurt at some point), Mark Sanchez, and Tim Tebow or Matt Barkley as their QBS. Other than Bradford, how much better are any of those guys than Jones? A bit? Maybe not at all?

The Bears have Jimmy Claussen behind Jay Cutler. Seriously, how much better is Clausen than Jones? The Cardinals have Drew Stanton and and Logan Thomas behind Carson "I go on IR every year" Palmer. Which of those 2 dirtballs is significantly better than Jones? If so, by how much? The Seahawks have Tavaris Jackson behind Russell Wilson. Followed by the immortal RJ Archer. Go ahead, wikipedia him. You've never heard of him before either.

Look at the Bills depth chart. It is a tire fire. The Browns may have the worst QB situation I have ever seen.

What is my point? It is extremely hard to find 1 person to adequately play the position (look at the Steelers between Bradshaw and Ben). It is next to impossible to find 2. It is fundamentally not possible to have your 3rd guy not be either a washout, a washed up vet, or a lottery ticket young(er) player.

I'm going to take the position that as bad as Landry Jones is, he is still better than MOST of the 3rd QBs currently on rosters AND he is noticeably better than a handful of #2 Qbs around the league.

I think the retention of Jones on the roster is a frustrating thing for most to talk about, but it hides the more significant indictment of the Steelers as an organization. They are terrible at identifying and developing QBs. Other than Roethlisberger, they have had no QB in the last decade plus that they have taken in and made better at football. Tee Martin, Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, etc. The list can go on and on. This is the real problem. Getting rid of Jones will simply pave the way for another "developmental" QB to appear on the roster and stagnate for 3 years.

86WARD
08-22-2015, 08:52 PM
I would say Sanchez is significantly better than Jones...not really a fair comparison though. I think part of the problem now was having the convenience of having Charlie Batch who was arguably a QB2 as the Steelers QB3. The other problem is not so much comparing Jones to other teams as much as opening up a roster spot for a better prospect at any spot on the team. Most fans don't want a QB3 on this team and I think that's where most of the resistance to Jones comes from.

Mojouw
08-23-2015, 10:12 AM
I would say Sanchez is significantly better than Jones...not really a fair comparison though. I think part of the problem now was having the convenience of having Charlie Batch who was arguably a QB2 as the Steelers QB3. The other problem is not so much comparing Jones to other teams as much as opening up a roster spot for a better prospect at any spot on the team. Most fans don't want a QB3 on this team and I think that's where most of the resistance to Jones comes from.

I agree about the roster spot. But that is a roster construction debate - not a player/prospect evaluation one. So if we can all concede that for some reason, come hell or high water, the Steelers will always carry 3 Qbs on the 53 man roster - we need to mover past the frustration over that issue and attempt to identify the best player to fill that position.

I argue that Jones is really not that bad of a candidate. Are there better? Of course. Are there many out there better? No.

I also argue that put Jones in with the #1's and he is no better or worse than Sanchez. That dude stinks.

polamalubeast
08-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Jones is not better than Sanchez and it's not even close.

If your starter is out for three games, you can be 2-1 with Sanchez....Sanchez has a winning record in his career

With Jones, it would be a huge upset if he wins a game, even if this is against the browns...The Steelers are 1-9 in preseason since Jones is with the Steelers.....The Steelers were great in preseason before 2013.

zulater
08-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Jones is not better than Sanchez and it's not even close.

If your starter is out for three games, you can be 2-1 with Sanchez....Sanchez has a winning record in his career

With Jones, it would be a huge upset if he wins a game, even if this is against the browns...The Steelers are 1-9 in preseason since Jones is with the Steelers.....The Steelers were great in preseason before 2013.

Is Sanchez available? If not how is he relevant?

86WARD
08-24-2015, 01:07 AM
I argue that Jones is really not that bad of a candidate. Are there better? Of course. Are there many out there better? No.

I also argue that put Jones in with the #1's and he is no better or worse than Sanchez. That dude stinks.

I for one have felt there has been major improvement in Jones this offseason...I don't think enough to lick him in as a number 2 QB, but definitely improvement. Again, more times than not if a receiver is going to "help" or "hurt" Jones, I think they have "hurt" him more with drops than making great catches to save him. As a third QB, there are a more than a few that I would grab over him...but he's not the worst.

As for Sanchez...I would have to disagree at this point, but as was mentioned, we don't know what Jones would be like in a starter role with the number ones over a length of time.

86WARD
08-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Is Sanchez available? If not how is he relevant?

He was brought up earlier in the conversation in comparison to Jones.