PDA

View Full Version : Steelers won't change contract policy for Antonio Brown

Count Steeler
08-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Like it or not, Antonio Brown is stuck with his current contract for the next two years – that's just the way the Steelers do business.
General manager Kevin Colbert told Trib Total Media on Thursday that there has been no change in a long-standing organizational policy to re-work a non-quarterback contract with more than a year left.
“It was something that was here before I got here and I am sure it will continue after I am gone,” Colbert said. “It is just the consistency within the organization. It is something that we believe in and it works for us, so I don't see it changing.”
And that goes for one of the best young receivers in the league as well.
The two-time All-Pro has 239 receptions (most in NFL) over the past two years including a franchise record 129 for 1,698 yards last year. Brown also caught 13 touchdowns for the 11-5, AFC North-winning Steelers a year ago.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8950240-74/story#ixzz3jNobHRqu

Mojouw
08-20-2015, 04:08 PM
This is going to bite them in the ass.

zulater
08-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Didn't see it was already posted. :doh:

I'm surprised it hasn't been commented on more. Anyway this confirms what I believed would be the Steelers approach all along. Now someone needs to sit AB down and explain to him how T.O. went from being a surefire first ballot Hall of Famer to a broke, out of work- side show attraction largely because of Mr. Drew Rosenhaus.

steelreserve
08-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Well good, that could've set a dangerous precedent. Brown is getting paid well.

Your move, Slimebag Agent of the Century.

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Like it or not, Antonio Brown is stuck with his current contract for the next two years – that's just the way the Steelers do business.
General manager Kevin Colbert told Trib Total Media on Thursday that there has been no change in a long-standing organizational policy to re-work a non-quarterback contract with more than a year left.
“It was something that was here before I got here and I am sure it will continue after I am gone,” Colbert said. “It is just the consistency within the organization. It is something that we believe in and it works for us, so I don't see it changing.”
And that goes for one of the best young receivers in the league as well.
The two-time All-Pro has 239 receptions (most in NFL) over the past two years including a franchise record 129 for 1,698 yards last year. Brown also caught 13 touchdowns for the 11-5, AFC North-winning Steelers a year ago.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8950240-74/story#ixzz3jNobHRqu

Why do they make an exception for a QB then? If the policy makes sense to be unwavering when it comes to all other players, why wouldn't it also make sense to follow the same policy for a QB? I can see this blowing up in their faces. I hate when any organization hides behind policies, acting like it is a moral high ground, but won't hesitate to do an about face when it suits their needs. In other words, the team acts like they won't negotiate early because "a deal is a deal." But if a player seems to not be playing up to "a deal" the team has no problem with asking for an early re-deal or else an outright cut. That is what they call "double standards." Just think how many WRs will be making so much more $ than AB by next season. He's gonna freak out.

zulater
08-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Why do they make an exception for a QB then? If the policy makes sense to be unwavering when it comes to all other players, why wouldn't it also make sense to follow the same policy for a QB? I can see this blowing up in their faces. I hate when any organization hides behind policies, acting like it is a moral high ground, but won't hesitate to do an about face when it suits their needs. In other words, the team acts like they won't negotiate early because "a deal is a deal." But if a player seems to not be playing up to "a deal" the team has no problem with asking for an early re-deal or else an outright cut. That is what they call "double standards." Just think how many WRs will be making so much more $ than AB by next season. He's gonna freak out.

Because outside of kickers (who's value is negligible) qb's careers are longer than any other position group by a considerable margin. Also franchise qb's are a much rarer commodity than elite anything else. Consider over the past 50 years the Steelers have only had two elite qb's. In the same span without giving it much thought I can name you eight Steeler wr's that would be considered among the best of their time. To wit Roy Jefferson, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Louis Lipps, Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Antonio Brown.

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Well good, that could've set a dangerous precedent. Brown is getting paid well.

Your move, Slimebag Agent of the Century.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I know of this is all about timing. But how many WRs are making more than AB? 10? And some of them are no where near the player AB is, not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Because outside of kickers (who's value is negligible) qb's careers are longer than any other position group by a considerable margin. Also franchise qb's are a much rarer commodity than elite anything else. Consider over the past 50 years the Steelers have only had two elite qb's. In the same span without giving it much thought I can name you eight Steeler wr's that would be considered among the best of their time. To wit Roy Jefferson, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Louis Lipps, Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Antonio Brown.

Thigpen, Plex, Hines nor Lipps were ever considered the best WR of their day. Not even close. Stallworth probably never was either. Maybe not Swann either.

polamalubeast
08-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I know of this is all about timing. But how many WRs are making more than AB? 10? And some of them are no where near the player AB is, not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Thigpen, Plex, Hines nor Lipps were never considered the best WR of their day. Not even close. Stallworth probably never was either. Maybe not Swann either.

There has 2 or 3 HOF on this group....

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 07:19 PM
There has 2 or 3 HOF on this group....

Yea, but he said they were "the best of their day" at the time. Not accurate.

86WARD
08-20-2015, 07:38 PM

He said they "would be considered AMONG the best of their time." Which is very accurate.

I agree that this will eventually bite them in the ass...them being so "firm" on their policies...ie) carrying a third QB, not renegotiating contracts, etc. is becoming so old fashioned it's gonna eventually hurt the organization more than it is now...

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2015, 07:40 PM
i fear that antonio brown will lose his drive, albeit unintentionally, from all of this if it keeps up the way it is. i really think we should make an exception for him after one more season on his current contract. Ben is entering his prime, Leveon is the best all purpose back in the league, we finally have an O-line on the cusp of greatness, and Ben has more weapons than ever before.

Its been a long time since we let a player anywhere near as good as AB at his position walk away from the team and i dont want to know what that looks like. AB has had a great attitude about all of this so the TO comparisons need to chill

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 07:40 PM
He said they "would be considered AMONG the best of their time." Which is very accurate.

I agree that this will eventually bite them in the ass...them being so "firm" on their policies...ie) carrying a third QB, not renegotiating contracts, etc. is becoming so old fashioned it's gonna eventually hurt the organization more than it is now...

Couldn't agree more.

fansince'76
08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Its been a long time since we let a player anywhere near as good as AB at his position walk away from the team and i dont want to know what that looks like. AB has had a great attitude about all of this so the TO comparisons need to chill

I think the T.O. example was mentioned to illustrate what a money-grubbing jackass AB currently has for an agent, that's all.

zulater
08-20-2015, 07:46 PM

Is English your second language? :coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

I think the T.O. example was mentioned to illustrate what a money-grubbing jackass AB currently has for an agent, that's all.

Exactly

TeeTee
08-20-2015, 07:52 PM
i fear that antonio brown will lose his drive, albeit unintentionally, from all of this if it keeps up the way it is. i really think we should make an exception for him after one more season on his current contract. Ben is entering his prime, Leveon is the best all purpose back in the league, we finally have an O-line on the cusp of greatness, and Ben has more weapons than ever before.

Not to mention claiming that the agent made TO an a hole. Drew has tons of clients who don't turn into a holes. Being an a hole is on TO, not the agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Is English your second language? :coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

Super. The English language cops are here.

zulater
08-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Not to mention claiming that the agent made TO an a hole. Drew has tons of clients who don't turn into a holes. Being an a hole is on TO, not the agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Well generally when it's pointed out that someone made a completely inaccurate comment about another poster's point said poster will make some sort of acknowledgement to said point. Since this normal protocol seems to have escaped you I thought perhaps you were unfamiliar with our ways.

Either that or maybe you're just a belligerent douche? :noidea: But I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

zulater
08-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Bottom line this is much ado about nothing. Antonio Brown will play this season under the terms of his contract and there's nothing to indicate that Brown will let this so called issue affect his on field performance in any way.

The Steelers are smart business people. I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of a contract extension prior to the 16 season. But they will not be dictated to by the agent of a player with 3 years remaining on his contract. Nor should they be.

So as pertaining to the 2015 season, which is what mainly concerns me relative to the Steelers at this particular time, this is a non-starter. So go ahead and fret away all you like on this matter. But to me this is a non issue. And outside of addressing comments made directly to me concerning prior posts on this thread this is the last I have to say on this, unless truly relevant facts on this subject matter change.

Craic
08-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Well, when written language is the only possible method of communication, using it properly tends to help everyone involved.

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2015, 09:46 PM
can anyone recall players verbally making a fuss out of their contract situation with 3 years or more remaining in recent times?

Other than Darrelle Revis. Jesus, the nerve of that guy.

86WARD
08-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Kam Chancellor. 2015.

steelreserve
08-20-2015, 10:33 PM

When Brown signed the deal, he got paid like a star despite still being a potential star. It was a straight-up trade of giving up potential leverage in order to gain security and an early payday. He and his agent both knew the name of the game when they negotiated it, which is why I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Yes, I know the tired old line: "But teams cut players from their contracts all the time! Why should we expect the players to honor their end of the deal!"

Well, when the entire reason why Brown signed the deal, and the entire reason why we offered it in the first place, was to give him a favorable outcome in order to make absolutely certain there could not possibly be any of this type of bullshit in the future ... then yeah, I expect him to play the next couple of years without complaining. There is no way he's getting cut before this deal is up even if he tears both ACLs, so if his agent or anyone tries to use the argument that teams cut other players before the end of their contracts, they can go shut right the fuck up.

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 07:21 AM
When Brown signed the deal, he got paid like a star despite still being a potential star. It was a straight-up trade of giving up potential leverage in order to gain security and an early payday. He and his agent both knew the name of the game when they negotiated it, which is why I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Yes, I know the tired old line: "But teams cut players from their contracts all the time! Why should we expect the players to honor their end of the deal!"

Well, when the entire reason why Brown signed the deal, and the entire reason why we offered it in the first place, was to give him a favorable outcome in order to make absolutely certain there could not possibly be any of this type of bullshit in the future ... then yeah, I expect him to play the next couple of years without complaining. There is no way he's getting cut before this deal is up even if he tears both ACLs, so if his agent or anyone tries to use the argument that teams cut other players before the end of their contracts, they can go shut right the fuck up.

This, plus one more thing: why should the Steelers be bent over due to other teams stupidly overpaying WRs who weren't worth it and aren't as good as Brown is?

The fact that there are now X number of WRs making more than him is not a compelling enough reason to tear his current contract up and renegotiate with 3 years left on it, especially in light of the trade-off they made with him with his current contract that you just highlighted (conceding leverage to secure an early payday which was then based solely on potential). It's not like he's only getting $1.5 million a year.

And before anyone says "Bu-bu-bu-Dez Bryant!," bear this in mind:

Dez Bryant of the Cowboys and Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos set the earnings bar for Brown when they signed nearly identical five-year, $70 million contracts this summer. However, until Bryant signed his new contract in July he had earned $11.9 million in his first five NFL seasons. Brown had earned nearly twice as much — $22.8 million — in that time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2015/08/17/Antonio-Brown-s-contract-stance-is-understandable-but-any-change-unlikely/stories/201508170046

i fear that antonio brown will lose his drive, albeit unintentionally, from all of this if it keeps up the way it is.

If that's the case, they'll be even more justified in NOT breaking the bank for him and giving him even more money. As has been pointed out, he's being paid quite fairly as it is.

Again, the Steelers really can't and shouldn't be held accountable for the Dolphins (and now the Vikings), Buccaneers and Chiefs being stupid enough to pay guys like Wallace, Jackson and Maclin $10+ million per when they simply aren't worth it.

TD's & Beer
08-21-2015, 09:31 AM
So as it stands we'll have Ben and AB together for 3 more seasons?

Sounds good to me. Probably be time to look for Ben's replacement by then anyway.

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 09:57 AM
So as it stands we'll have Ben and AB together for 3 more seasons?

Sounds good to me. Probably be time to look for Ben's replacement by then anyway.

Exactly. Once Ben hangs them up, we'll be starting over from scratch anyway. The future at QB will much more likely be closer to Landry Jones than Ben Roethlisberger.

steelreserve
08-21-2015, 10:48 AM
This, plus one more thing: why should the Steelers be bent over due to other teams stupidly overpaying WRs who weren't worth it and aren't as good as Brown is?

The fact that there are now X number of WRs making more than him is not a compelling enough reason to tear his current contract up and renegotiate with 3 years left on it, especially in light of the trade-off they made with him with his current contract that you just highlighted (conceding leverage to secure an early payday which was then based solely on potential). It's not like he's only getting $1.5 million a year.

Bu-bu-but OMG THATS THE MARKET!!! The Cowboys and the Redskins being dumb is the market, so that's what everybody has to do! Since, you know, if he's unhappy with his current deal, Brown could just go to the Cowboys with 3 years still remaining on his contract, and they could pull the money out of thin air to pay him.

86WARD
08-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Exactly. Once Ben hangs them up, we'll be starting over from scratch anyway. The future at QB will much more likely be closer to Landry Jones than Ben Roethlisberger.

Ugh...how dare you ruin my morning with thoughts and comments like that!

Craic
08-21-2015, 10:51 AM
The Rooney's are too cheap to pay AB!

Psycho Ward 86
08-21-2015, 10:53 AM

And before anyone says "Bu-bu-bu-Dez Bryant!," bear this in mind:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2015/08/17/Antonio-Brown-s-contract-stance-is-understandable-but-any-change-unlikely/stories/201508170046

If that's the case, they'll be even more justified in NOT breaking the bank for him and giving him even more money. As has been pointed out, he's being paid quite fairly as it is.

Again, the Steelers really can't and shouldn't be held accountable for the Dolphins (and now the Viikings), Buccaneers and Chiefs being stupid enough to pay guys like Wallace, Jackson and Maclin $10+ million per when they simply aren't worth it.

Because that market dictates as much and the nfl is a BUSINESS.

As for the Dez Bryant thing, he'll be eclipsing AB's pay for the 1st couple years of his career in like a year or 2. Moot point imo.

And less justified? Are you saying we shouldnt pay players who are partially motivated by money? Who the hell isnt. And who can blame people in professional sports for trying to maximize a short but extremely lucrative career that only 1 in a million can experience? Especially if that player has been nothing but productive, completely courteous about his contract situation, and been nothing but an outstanding leader and team mate.

Ive always been critical of the steelers handling of the salary cap around the whole 2010-2012ish years, even though many were defending it as "keeping our superbowl window open." i disagreed because many teams around the league managed around their cap situations just fine while being superbowl competitive. That, in addition to Ben still having many years left. The steelers as of now however, i view in the same light that we saw the team in 2010-2012. Ben is getting older and i think we actually are fighting to keep our superbowl window open. Now is an appropriate time to slowly reenter salary cap purgatory if it means keeping some of the best players in the NFL to give us our best shot at winning more superbowls.

We currently own the greatest bargain in the NFL, possibly ever in the free agency era.

polamalubeast
08-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Bu-bu-but OMG THATS THE MARKET!!! The Cowboys and the Redskins being dumb is the market, so that's what everybody has to do! Since, you know, if he's unhappy with his current deal, Brown could just go to the Cowboys with 3 years still remaining on his contract, and they could pull the money out of thin air to pay him.

I agree in the case of Antonio Brown, who remains 3 years in his deal but the cowboys and the broncos were not dumb to give a big contract to Bryant and Thomas since they are elite players.

This is normal that this is expensive to keep the elite players and if you're cheap, you will win nothing

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Because that market dictates as much and the nfl is a BUSINESS.

As for the Dez Bryant thing, he'll be eclipsing AB's pay for the 1st couple years of his career in like a year or 2. Moot point imo.

And less justified? Are you saying we shouldnt pay players who are partially motivated by money? Who the hell isnt. And who can blame people in professional sports for trying to maximize a short but extremely lucrative career that only 1 in a million can experience? Especially if that player has been nothing but productive, completely courteous about his contract situation, and been nothing but an outstanding leader and team mate.

Ive always been critical of the steelers handling of the salary cap around the whole 2010-2012ish years, even though many were defending it as "keeping our superbowl window open." i disagreed because many teams around the league managed around their cap situations just fine while being superbowl competitive. That, in addition to Ben still having many years left. The steelers as of now however, i view in the same light that we saw the team in 2010-2012. Ben is getting older and i think we actually are fighting to keep our superbowl window open. Now is an appropriate time to slowly reenter salary cap purgatory if it means keeping some of the best players in the NFL to give us our best shot at winning more superbowls.

We currently own the greatest bargain in the NFL, possibly ever in the free agency era.
It's also GOOD BUSINESS not to OVERPAY. Or, more accurately in this case, to go against long-established team policy based largely on other teams' mistakes.

As for Dez Bryant's current deal, so what? The fact remains that Brown's career earnings to this point have almost doubled Bryant's. And the point was that Bryant was the one who was being vastly underpaid to this point, not Brown.

No, I'm saying we shouldn't back up the Brinks truck for players who are SOLELY motivated by money (see: Darrelle Revis). For the record, I don't think Brown is one of those and I think the fear of him "losing his drive" is unfounded, so that is a moot point, IMO. Otherwise, I think he'd already be holding out. By the way, Brown did maximize his earnings opportunity - way back in 2012.

As mentioned previously, the Steelers took a HUGE gamble on Brown with that contract to begin with. Or do you not remember all the bitching and handwringing over how the Steelers "massively overpaid" Brown back in 2012 and how "he would never be more than a #2 WR" and they should have given that money instead to the "proven commodity" in Wallace?

And as far as keeping the "Super Bowl window open" is concerned, he IS under contract for 3 more years. Besides, that window will officially close when Ben retires, regardless of who else we have on the roster (unless we absolutely luck out like the Packers did in another Favre/Rodgers scenario). Don't believe me? Exhibit A: The Steelers teams of the '90s. And the league is even more QB-driven now than it was then.

And as steelreserve pointed out, the reason for the HUGE gamble on Brown back in 2012 was to avoid this exact scenario now. The fact that the gamble paid off in spades and became "the biggest bargain in the NFL" doesn't mean the Steelers are now somehow "getting over." And if they break policy for Brown, they're going to have to do it for others (Bell comes to mind as another potentially special player), and I'd rather not go down that road.

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Bu-bu-but OMG THATS THE MARKET!!! The Cowboys and the Redskins being dumb is the market, so that's what everybody has to do!

Exactly. And when was the last time the Cowboys and Redskins were "Super Bowl competitive," or for that matter, even relevant, on a CONSISTENT basis?

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Exactly. And when was the last time the Cowboys and Redskins were "Super Bowl competitive," or for that matter, even relevant, on a CONSISTENT basis?

Last year. They should have had at least made it to the NFCC game - that was a catch; and they had already beat Seattle in Seattle so they could have won that game too. But I get your point, just saying, Cowboys were contenders last year.

polamalubeast
08-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Last year. They should have had at least made it to the NFCC game - that was a catch; and they had already beat Seattle in Seattle so they could have won that game too. But I get your point, just saying, Cowboys were contenders last year.

Firstly, Fansince76 has said super bowl competitive on a CONSISTENT basis

Secondly, the Cowboys might have lost against the lions the week before without the Controversial reverse call

And thirdly, even if the catch would have been good,the game was far from over and the Cowboys were unable to contain an injured Aaron Rodgers in 2nd half

steelreserve
08-21-2015, 01:04 PM
CONSISTENT

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Well, all agents are to a degree. Drew is extra obnoxious, I will give you that.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Well generally when it's pointed out that someone made a completely inaccurate comment about another poster's point said poster will make some sort of acknowledgement to said point.

Sure, when did that happen?

Since this normal protocol seems to have escaped you I thought perhaps you were unfamiliar with our ways.

Who is "our?" Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Either that or maybe you're just a belligerent douche? :noidea: But I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yea, I'm the douche. Nice ad hominem attacks - they did warn me about you. Oh, you live in MD? OK, no further explanation needed.

Psycho Ward 86
08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
It's also GOOD BUSINESS not to OVERPAY. Or, more accurately in this case, to go against long-established team policy based largely on other teams' mistakes.

As for Dez Bryant's current deal, so what? The fact remains that Brown's career earnings to this point have almost doubled Bryant's. And the point was that Bryant was the one who was being vastly underpaid to this point, not Brown.

No, I'm saying we shouldn't back up the Brinks truck for players who are SOLELY motivated by money (see: Darrelle Revis). For the record, I don't think Brown is one of those and I think the fear of him "losing his drive" is unfounded, so that is a moot point, IMO. Otherwise, I think he'd already be holding out. By the way, Brown did maximize his earnings opportunity - way back in 2012.

As mentioned previously, the Steelers took a HUGE gamble on Brown with that contract to begin with. Or do you not remember all the bitching and handwringing over how the Steelers "massively overpaid" Brown back in 2012 and how "he would never be more than a #2 WR" and they should have given that money instead to the "proven commodity" in Wallace?

And as far as keeping the "Super Bowl window open" is concerned, he IS under contract for 3 more years. Besides, that window will officially close when Ben retires, regardless of who else we have on the roster (unless we absolutely luck out like the Packers did in another Favre/Rodgers scenario). Don't believe me? Exhibit A: The Steelers teams of the '90s. And the league is even more QB-driven now than it was then.

And as steelreserve pointed out, the reason for the HUGE gamble on Brown back in 2012 was to avoid this exact scenario now. The fact that the gamble paid off in spades and became "the biggest bargain in the NFL" doesn't mean the Steelers are now somehow "getting over." And if they break policy for Brown, they're going to have to do it for others (Bell comes to mind as another potentially special player), and I'd rather not go down that road.

fair enough. for the record, i agree that this team is going to be middling to mediocre once Ben retires, we just have reciprocal philosophies on that approach. I feel that Ben's pending final years are a reason to be willing to dump a lot of money on AB, not avoid the inevitable as much as possible (not yet, but perhaps after this upcoming season. i think 3 years of what will most likely end up being AB establishing himself as arguably the best in the game warrants more than what he currently does).

- - - Updated - - -

lol you got me there :lol:

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 01:38 PM
fair enough. for the record, i agree that this team is going to be middling to mediocre once Ben retires, we just have reciprocal philosophies on that approach. I feel that Ben's pending final years are a reason to be willing to dump a lot of money on AB, not avoid the inevitable as much as possible (not yet, but perhaps after this upcoming season. i think 3 years of what will most likely end up being AB establishing himself as arguably the best in the game warrants more than what he currently does).

I agree with your earlier point that they may seriously want to think about "tweaking" policy a bit and renegotiating with Brown after the 2015 season and extend him then, especially if he tears it up again (and I have no reason to believe he won't). I also think Brown's the best WR in the league right now and he's only going to get more expensive.

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 01:43 PM

Yea, I'm the douche. Nice ad hominem attacks - they did warn me about you. Oh, you live in MD? OK, no further explanation needed.

Please keep it civil, folks.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Please keep it civil, folks.

The ad hominem attacks completely originated by zulater. Please make a mental note. And it's certainly not the 1st time.

Mojouw
08-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Drawing a hard line with AB and not doing anything about his deal until 3 years from now will make future players negotiate even harder. They will know that the Steelers will never change a deal to reflect performance exceeding expectations. Bad precedent to establish in my opinion.

Equally as bad is to simply tear up the existing deal and redo it just because a player starts moaning. Is this really different than Hines Ward? Sure. Ward had a year left on his deal and therefore fits better into the Steelers stated philosphy. But he had to hold-out to get his extension. Do something similar for AB. Make it an extension, rather than a simple pay raise. Buy out the rest of his "prime years" - say through his age 31 season. Guarantee a decent amount of the money - and I bet you get more team friendly terms now than you do a year from now.

How does anyone lose in that scenario?

fansince'76
08-21-2015, 02:28 PM
The ad hominem attacks completely originated by zulater. Please make a mental note. And it's certainly not the 1st time.

I just don't want it to see it escalate any further, that's all.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 02:46 PM
I just don't want it to see it escalate any further, that's all.

Understood.

zulater
08-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Sure, when did that happen?

Dude you misrepresented my point. When it was pointed out by a couple different people you failed to acknowledge your error.

- - - Updated - - -

No I said "among the best of their time", we can drive a tractor trailer through the difference of what you claim and what was actually said.

- - - Updated - - -

they did warn me about you. Oh, you live in MD? OK, no further explanation needed.

No warning is required with you. You've spelled out what you are on multiple occasions for all to see.

And I live in Md like several people on this board, but I'm Pittsburgh born and raised.

steelreserve
08-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Drawing a hard line with AB and not doing anything about his deal until 3 years from now will make future players negotiate even harder. They will know that the Steelers will never change a deal to reflect performance exceeding expectations. Bad precedent to establish in my opinion.

Equally as bad is to simply tear up the existing deal and redo it just because a player starts moaning. Is this really different than Hines Ward? Sure. Ward had a year left on his deal and therefore fits better into the Steelers stated philosphy. But he had to hold-out to get his extension. Do something similar for AB. Make it an extension, rather than a simple pay raise. Buy out the rest of his "prime years" - say through his age 31 season. Guarantee a decent amount of the money - and I bet you get more team friendly terms now than you do a year from now.

They don't. I wouldn't mind giving him an extension and give him an additional $13M or $14M or whatever the going rate is, for each of those extra 2 or 3 years. What I don't want is to tear up the existing 3 years and make them all that price too. Because that's just rewarding a guy (and his agent) for complaining, and sending message to our other players that's even worse IMO than being iron-fisted.

You can go ahead and guarantee his entire current contract as far as I'm concerned, too. Because unless we find out tomorrow that he's a serial rapist, it might as well all be guaranteed anyway.

zulater
08-21-2015, 04:29 PM
They don't. I wouldn't mind giving him an extension and give him an additional $13M or $14M or whatever the going rate is, for each of those extra 2 or 3 years. What I don't want is to tear up the existing 3 years and make them all that price too. Because that's just rewarding a guy (and his agent) for complaining, and sending message to our other players that's even worse IMO than being iron-fisted.

You can go ahead and guarantee his entire current contract as far as I'm concerned, too. Because unless we find out tomorrow that he's a serial rapist, it might as well all be guaranteed anyway.

Yeah I would be all for that.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Dude you misrepresented my point. When it was pointed out by a couple different people you failed to acknowledge your error.

- - - Updated - - -

No I said "among the best of their time", we can drive a tractor trailer through the difference of what you claim and what was actually said.

- - - Updated - - -

No warning is required with you. You've spelled out what you are on multiple occasions for all to see.

And I live in Md like several people on this board, but I'm Pittsburgh born and raised.

You're still talking about me missing one word (consistent)from a post? Yea, that's the stuff that moves mountains; very substantial.

Should I have it written in stone and have it notarized due to it's vast significance?

I'll get right on that.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

86WARD
08-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Whenever you two are done...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1765058/bitch-fight-1-o.gif

Butch
08-21-2015, 06:30 PM

While it may have been what most would consider a catch, by the NFL definition it was not. If you are going to the ground in the process of catching the ball you must maintain control of the ball throughout the process otherwise it is not a catch.

zulater
08-21-2015, 10:01 PM
You're still talking about me missing one word (consistent)from a post? Yea, that's the stuff that moves mountains; very substantial.

Should I have it written in stone and have it notarized due to it's vast significance?

I'll get right on that.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Tell you what. You offer nothing of value so from now on you're on ignore, and please feel free to do the same to me. Bye now.:flipoff:

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2015, 12:46 AM

This! Mojouw, you always come up with the most thought evoking objective posts. Not budging on Antonio Brown's contract until waaaay down the road or even 2 years down the road could have implications that we as fans wont even see on paper.

Nadroj 20
08-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Saturday preview: Would Antonio Brown consider holding out?

Pittsburgh Steelers: The organization has made clear it doesn't renegotiate contracts unless a player is going into the final year of his current deal. Will that reality affect Antonio Brown's attitude toward the team? Brown has three years left on a six-year, $43-million deal. Brown appeared visibly frustrated during a practice this week because he wanted the ball more. He said in July he's not eyeing a holdout, so let's see if he stays true to his word. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13486907/antonio-brown-consider-holding-out

JayC
08-22-2015, 09:17 AM
they need to make an exception and pay the man. he's criminally underpaid now compared to other top wide receivers. if i were brown, i'd be furious.

zulater
08-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Saturday preview: Would Antonio Brown consider holding out?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13486907/antonio-brown-consider-holding-out

Too much innuendo and speculation going on. Just because a guy shows a little frustration in a particular practice doesn't map out a road to a holdout or a disruptive season. Sorry but this whole subject matter is nothing more than bad tea leaf reading as far as I'm concerned.

Cyphon25
08-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't have much worry when it comes to AB. He is one of the hardest working people in the NFL and I think he does that so he can be great. So regardless of of any anger he might have or if he starts getting fussy I think in the end he will play his hardest. He seems like a guy who cares greatly about his reputation as a player so I can't see this becoming a major problem.

On the Steelers end I understand the business decision but you should never hide behind policy, especially if it doesn't apply to everyone equally.

Mojouw
08-22-2015, 01:18 PM

I like that approach. Less money now, but you are getting all of it no matter what. Team wins w/the cap and AB wins with a dumptruck full of cash.

- - - Updated - - -

This! Mojouw, you always come up with the most thought evoking objective posts. Not budging on Antonio Brown's contract until waaaay down the road or even 2 years down the road could have implications that we as fans wont even see on paper.

Thanks, your stuff is always great as well.

Yeah, if they don't move on AB's contract -- how well does anyone think the Leveon Bell negotiations will go? Beachum? Martavias Bryant? Or even Boykin?

86WARD
08-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Where's all this AB anger coming from? I haven't seen any signs from the player that he's "angry."

86WARD
08-22-2015, 01:35 PM
By the way...no one from his "camp" was complaining when he was "overpaid" when he was pretty much unproven. This deal could've gone the direction of LaMarr Woodley...sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Steelers won in this case. Personally, I would revisit the deal next season and offer more guarantee money, a small bonus, couple more backend years and incentives. Basic deal would stay the same...

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Where's all this AB anger coming from? I haven't seen any signs from the player that he's "angry."

thats the point. not paying antonio until he is entering the final year of his contract could have terrible implications that we cant even measurably see. im against giving Antonio his extension this season. But i really dont see how its a big deal if we pay him ONE year earlier than we normally pay players (as in, i think we should pay him after this season). Its pretty rare for a player to outplay a non-rookie contract this drastically.

Mojouw
08-22-2015, 02:30 PM
thats the point. not paying antonio until he is entering the final year of his contract could have terrible implications that we cant even measurably see. im against giving Antonio his extension this season. But i really dont see how its a big deal if we pay him ONE year earlier than we normally pay players (as in, i think we should pay him after this season). Its pretty rare for a player to outplay a non-rookie contract this drastically.

Yeah, if they are worried about establishing a precedent - they could just point to the stats? Are you leading your position in every statistical category by a ton? No? Well, then shut the hell up.

Only upcoming player they would have to worry about is Bell.

TeeTee
08-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Tell you what. You offer nothing of value so from now on you're on ignore, and please feel free to do the same to me. Bye now.:flipoff:

I consider you blocking me a badge of honor. I was warned about you, and boy, were they right. L8r forever.

Mojouw
08-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Grown men getting in a slap fight via anonymous online forums is always hilarious. And sad.

zulater
08-22-2015, 04:01 PM

Me neither. It's only news because it's a slow news cycle I guess? :noidea:

- - - Updated - - -

Grown men getting in a slap fight via anonymous online forums is always hilarious. And sad.

I've already moved on. Wont hear anything out of me about it again.So chances are if you don;t mention it again it wont come up again. Oh so we can hope.

Nadroj 20
08-22-2015, 06:17 PM

That's what I thought when I read the article. My exact thoughts were.."that doesn't sound like AB".

BigNastyDefense
08-23-2015, 09:08 AM
I honestly think very little of this BS if any at all is coming from Antonio Brown.

I think it's all coming from his agent, who's a monumental dickhead.

There's no reason for the Steelers to tear up a contract three years out. Brown has no leverage here. None at all. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid. He doesn't seem like the holdout type anyhow, so I doubt we see him holding out next year.

There's a chance the Steelers look into doing an extension next year. The salaries for elite receivers is only going to go up, so they might want to lock Brown up close to Dez Bryant money next year rather than be stuck paying him even more the year after that.

However, they made their two time Super Bowl winning quarterback wait until there was one year left on his deal to do an extension. No reason Brown won't have to wait too.

That's how the Steelers do business. That's how they've just about always done business. Brown knows this, his agent knows this. His agent was just hoping the Steelers would bite.