PDA

View Full Version : Steelers waived Zumwalt and claimed L.J. Fort off waivers

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2015, 04:43 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/report-steelers-place-lb-jordan-zumwalt-on-waivedinjured-list/

This sucks. I was hoping that he'd turn into a player. Placed on the waived/injured list.

Fort is nothing but a journeyman.

86WARD
08-19-2015, 05:06 PM
I like this move. Zumwalt has been nothing but hopes and dreams...

TeeTee
08-19-2015, 05:11 PM
I never understood the enthusiasm for Zummy. "Gritty white guy" appeal? IDK. He's never done anything.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/786/585/hi-res-581b2cbefd9bb62c83c7141c257f683c_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Why the hate for Zumwalt? It's only his 2nd year in the NFL and he was on the injured list all of last year. What exactly were you expecting from a 6th round pick?

I'd rather have him (if healthy) than a non-drafted free agent who's been cut by 6 other teams.

According to Dulac: "Coaches thought Zumwalt needed to practice harder and with more intensity. Looked better in games than drills."

tube517
08-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Arizona and Tennessee are probably lighting up his cell phone.

TeeTee
08-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Why the hate for Zumwalt? It's only his 2nd year in the NFL and he was on the injured list all of last year. What exactly were you expecting from a 6th round pick?

What was I expecting? Nothing, which is why I was confused by others who thought he was gonna become a great player. I never got that.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2015, 05:58 PM
What was I expecting? Nothing, which is why I was confused by others who thought he was gonna become a great player. I never got that.

I can't recall reading anything saying that he was going to be a great player. The only thing that I heard was people talking right after the draft and saying that they liked him in college.

I liked what I saw in the few games that he played (led the team in tackles against MN) but I never felt like he'd develop into anything more than a backup/special teams player.

Count Steeler
08-19-2015, 06:07 PM

I'd rather have him (if healthy) than a non-drafted free agent who's been cut by 6 other teams.

According to Dulac: "Coaches thought Zumwalt needed to practice harder and with more intensity. Looked better in games than drills."

And that is a bad thing?

TeeTee
08-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I can't recall reading anything saying that he was going to be a great player. The only thing that I heard was people talking right after the draft and saying that they liked him in college.

I liked what I saw in the few games that he played (led the team in tackles against MN) but I never felt like he'd develop into anything more than a backup/special teams player.

I don't even think it was on this board. But on some, fans were all geeked up on him, thinking he was gonna be the next great Steeler LB for some reason. My highest hopes was that maybe could be a Jerry O type of player one day.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2015, 06:17 PM
And that is a bad thing?

Yea, agreed although I do understand the need to practice hard, especially as a young player.

The knock on him for needing to practice harder and with more intensity doesn't seem to fit though. What I've read about him seems to indicate otherwise.

From an article on Steelers Depot a couple of months ago by Jon Ledyard:
He plays with a relentless physicality and a non-stop motor in pursuit. Perhaps most impressive about Zumwalt is his high football IQ. A true student of the game. Coaches have raved about his work ethic and love for football

I guess that it doesn't really matter anyway. He wasn't going to make the team at ILB over Timmons, Shazier, Williams and Spence and Garvin is a pretty good special teams player. No room for him.

hawaiiansteeler
08-19-2015, 06:20 PM

jb500ex said Zumwalt was going to be the droy last season and the NFL comeback player of the year this season...:stirthepot:

86WARD
08-19-2015, 07:31 PM

I never really understood it either...

James Harrison was also cut quite a few times...lol.

Steeldude
08-20-2015, 08:30 AM
I like players with a good motor and a high IQ. IMO, Spence is another knee injury waiting to happen. Timmons can't play forever.

Mojouw
08-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Oh No. The Steelers are pretty low on the scrappy white guy quotient now.

Zumwalt was never going to have the athleticism to play in the NFL. I doubt he catches on anywhere else.

Steeldude
08-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Oh No. The Steelers are pretty low on the scrappy white guy quotient now.

Zumwalt was never going to have the athleticism to play in the NFL. I doubt he catches on anywhere else.

He is probably better than Jarvis Jones : )

Players having an aggressive and determined spirit is usually a good thing.

Mojouw
08-21-2015, 08:40 AM
He is probably better than Jarvis Jones : )

Players having an aggressive and determined spirit is usually a good thing.

He can have all the spirit he wants to. I really don't care. The bottom line is that Zumalt in two preseason cycles has demonstrated that he has borderline NFL athleticism at best. He just isn't very good. Him getting cut is basically a non-story in my mind.

I have made my opinion on Jarvis Jones well known. Despite my low opinion of Jones as a player, Zumalt was worse.

Steeldude
08-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Don't get me wrong. I am fine with cutting Zumwalt.

If Jones produces nothing in the pre-season I hope they cut him too.

86WARD
08-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Has Zumwalt been claimed?

Shoes
08-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Timmons out against Packers. I believe he has turf toe.

tube517
08-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Timmons out against Packers. I believe he has turf toe.

I know the Steelers "aren't worried" but turf toe sucks

http://news.rotowire.com/Lawrence-Timmons-googid305400-spnfl.htm

Mojouw
08-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am fine with cutting Zumwalt.

If Jones produces nothing in the pre-season I hope they cut him too.

Ahhhh! I get it now. Shouldn't post w/out coffee.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they cut Jarvis either.

zulater
08-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Ahhhh! I get it now. Shouldn't post w/out coffee.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they cut Jarvis either.

Really? It's like Ziggy Hood. Yeah they had to move on from him and admit to a wasted 1st round pick. But when you finally tear that bandage even if necessary, it still stings like hell!:doh: :lol:

SteelerFanInStl
08-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Zumwalt cleared waivers. He's now on IR.

TeeTee
08-21-2015, 05:09 PM
I know the Steelers "aren't worried" but turf toe sucks

http://news.rotowire.com/Lawrence-Timmons-googid305400-spnfl.htm

Lambert retired from it.

Mojouw
08-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Really? It's like Ziggy Hood. Yeah they had to move on from him and admit to a wasted 1st round pick. But when you finally tear that bandage even if necessary, it still stings like hell!:doh: :lol:

True. It will sting. I figure he gets his rookie deal basically to prove he belongs. So he will be on the roster this year and next - after that...

Jones is more like Troy Edwards than Ziggy Hood. Hood at least brought some positives to the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Lambert retired from it.

One would hope that there have been significant medical advances since 1984.

86WARD
08-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Ziggy Hood brought us The great Outer Limit Sports training videos! That was positive...other than that...