PDA

View Full Version : How Chuck Noll saved the Steelers

LLT
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
How Chuck Noll saved the Steelers
In 1969 Chuck Noll began to turn the woeful Steelers into a dynasty
By Chad Millman

When Chuck Noll was a rookie with the Browns in 1953, a reporter looking to make conversation asked him if he had a girlfriend. Noll's response: "First I've got to make good. Then maybe I can get serious about girls."

It was typical Noll. He always had a plan, an if-then strategy tucked in his back pocket. His ideas were never fanciful, never full of dreamy prose; no one would ever make one glorious leap to the moon listening to him talk. But they'd know the first step they needed to take, and the next, and the next, until, suddenly, they were floating among the stars

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5493709

LLT
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
FANTASTIC read for all you "throwbacks"!!!!

SteelerSal
09-01-2010, 01:00 PM
FANTASTIC read for all you "throwbacks"!!!!

Count me in that group!! Had to snag that pic of Chuck for my avatar.

LLT
09-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Count me in that group!! Had to snag that pic of Chuck for my avatar.

SWEEEEEEEET!

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Dude thats ironic,i was just watching the Terry Bradshaw thing on u-tube. Then i return to the board,and here's this post.Chuck was a great teacher. He had a reason for everything he told his players. Probably touched in his own life too.There may have been two QB's to win 4 super bowls,but still standing thus far,there's only one coach to have done so. Even if it is equalled,he will always be the first. Nice find dude!!!

This is what i was watching. Part 1 of 5. I watched the whole thing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP6lkMsP5Q

LLT
09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Dude thats ironic,i was just watching the Terry Bradshaw thing on u-tube. Then i return to the board,and here's this post.Chuck was a great teacher. He had a reason for everything he told his players. Probably touched in his own life too.There may have been two QB's to win 4 super bowls,but still standing thus far,there's only one coach to have done so. Even if it is equalled,he will always be the first. Nice find dude!!!

This is what i was watching. Part 1 of 5. I watched the whole thing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP6lkMsP5Q

Thanks for the link!!!

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the link!!!

no problem,if you've never seen it it is worth the watch. Almost made me cry.

Steeldude
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
back when football was football :thumbsup:

Butch
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Talk about ironic.

Sports radio station down here in San Antonio has a facebook quiz they do every day. They give 3 hints about 15 minutes apart. So today...

Clue one) This Cleaveland Brown player gave up playing after 6 years to go into coaching.
Clue Two) In 2007 they named the practice field in St. Vincent for him (man if that aint obvious)
Clue Three) As coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers he lead the team to a record 4 championships. (hmm wonder who that could be) LOL

The prize would get you some tickets to the local farm league baseball team and enter you for a chance drawing to go to jerryworld to see the Superbowl XLV kickoff extraviganza. I'm sure you would be on the field with jerry himself if you won.

stlrtruck
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Noll was the ultimate coach. His knowledge extended past the game!

Just remember it was Noll's influence that made Dungy too.

ALLD
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
The thing about Joe Greene was that he hated losing more than he liked winning.

Shoes
09-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Great read LLT.....and thanks for the link CHS. I remember those years in Pittsburgh well.

SteelerEmpire
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Greene didn't bother turning around. Instead he went to the Steelers' training table, grabbed a pair of scissors and ran after Eller and Page. His teammates stopped him. But his coach never said a word. Noll kept quiet in a game against the Eagles the next year, too, when Greene, frustrated because refs weren't calling holding, threw the game ball into the stands.

Could "Lewis" be our next Mean Joe ??? Because he's MEAN !!!

SMR
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
How Chuck Noll saved the Steelers
In 1969 Chuck Noll began to turn the woeful Steelers into a dynasty
By Chad Millman

When Chuck Noll was a rookie with the Browns in 1953, a reporter looking to make conversation asked him if he had a girlfriend. Noll's response: "First I've got to make good. Then maybe I can get serious about girls."

It was typical Noll. He always had a plan, an if-then strategy tucked in his back pocket. His ideas were never fanciful, never full of dreamy prose; no one would ever make one glorious leap to the moon listening to him talk. But they'd know the first step they needed to take, and the next, and the next, until, suddenly, they were floating among the stars

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5493709

A most compelling "throwback" read LLT! Football was truly football in those days, sigh.....

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
That's the best shit I've read in a long time but this little tidbit...

Two weeks later in Minnesota, Greene was still simmering. In a 38-point loss, he was called for a late hit in front of the Vikings' bench, which was on the same side of the field as the Steelers'. As he got up, the Vikings' star defensive linemen, Carl Eller and Alan Page, taunted him. Greene didn't bother turning around. Instead he went to the Steelers' training table, grabbed a pair of scissors and ran after Eller and Page.

LMFAO, that's just morbid lol

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
That was well worth the time to read!

SMR
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
That's the best shit I've read in a long time but this little tidbit...

LMFAO, that's just morbid lol

Yep, good ol' MEAN Joe!

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Yep, good ol' MEAN Joe!

He's scary enough without a weapon in hand...

TatarMongol
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice story. Thanks 4 sharing

tube517
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
No, The "Mean" guy on this team is Deebo. It seems like that gets passed down from Greene to Lambert. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, now James Harrison.

Great article, Thanks for posting!

Could "Lewis" be our next Mean Joe ??? Because he's MEAN !!!

sherlock
09-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for posting these brilliant links!

Indo
09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
For any that haven't seen it, here is my signature:

"Chuck Noll is building one hell of a football team up in Pittsburgh. I look for the Steelers to be the team of the future. Just remember I said that."
- - - Immortal Packers coach Vince Lombardi in 1970, two years before the Steelers even made the playoffs under Noll

Even the great Vince Lombardi recognized that Noll was building something special.

SirHulka
09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Actually, it was Fart Modell that built the Steelers. He's the one that let Noll walk.