PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: These Are Not Your Father's Steelers

teegre
08-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh.

These Are Not Your Father's Steelers
by Tiger Rowan

For majority of last season, Steelers fans lamented about this team not having a good defense. My family lambasted Jarvis Jones; my friends chastised Mike Mitchell; and internet posters grew more & more frustrated with Cortez Allen.

I kept reminding these fans that this Steelers team is not built like Steelers teams of old. I told them that this current Steelers defense is young, and conversely, that the only players on this roster who are in their primes are on the offensive side of the ball. Similarly, I repeatedly tried to convince them that once the offensive gels, it will carry this team to the promised land.

But, Steelers fans being Steelers fans, they did not want to hear anything about offense. And, understandably so.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/these-are-not-your-fathers-steelers/

Bluecoat96
08-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Great article as always!

Count Steeler
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Thing is, the offense of the latter 70's was no slouch itself with Bradshaw, Harris, Blier, Swann, Stallworth, et al.

The trouble is that this defense may not even be mediocre. I am hoping that most of last year and this pre season are just anomalies, and that the last 4 games of last year could be what we may see from this team on defense this year. Time will tell, but they have to step it up.

hawaiiansteeler
08-18-2015, 04:13 PM
this certainly isn't your Father's Steelers defense...

teegre
08-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Great article as always!

Thanks, brother.

- - - Updated - - -

this certainly isn't your Father's Steelers defense...

:chuckle:

Wait.... :doh:

teegre
08-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Thing is, the offense of the latter 70's was no slouch itself with Bradshaw, Harris, Blier, Swann, Stallworth, et al.

The trouble is that this defense may not even be mediocre. I am hoping that most of last year and this pre season are just anomalies, and that the last 4 games of last year could be what we may see from this team on defense this year. Time will tell, but they have to step it up.

Good point.

The defense trended upwards in the second half of last season. They went from allowing about 25ppg to about 20ppg.

Why? My guess is that as as the young guys got more comfortable, the defense improved.

If the defense can just maintain that 20ppg, then the Steelers will be fine (because, I don't see the offense being held under 21 points too many times this season).

polamalubeast
08-18-2015, 04:44 PM
20 PPG for the defense, this is too much to ask for them

What I want of the defense is that they are good in the red zone, better pass rush, creates more turnovers,not stay too long on the field and be clutch in the 4th quarter.

Like the 2009 saints

teegre
08-18-2015, 04:52 PM
20 PPG for the defense, this is too much to ask for them

What I want of the defense is that they are good in the red zone, better pass rush, creates more turnovers,not stay too long on the field and be clutch in the 4th quarter.

Like the 2009 saints

Two things:

1. 20ppg was indeed what they averaged for the last half of the season.

2. I want all of what you want, but alas, I simply do not expect it.

SUMMATION:
If the defense performs about the same this season (20ppg), as they did at the end of last season (20ppg), I will be more than thrilled.

Count Steeler
08-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Good point.

The defense trended upwards in the second half of last season. They went from allowing about 25ppg to about 20ppg.

Why? My guess is that as as the young guys got more comfortable, the defense improved.

If the defense can just maintain that 20ppg, then the Steelers will be fine (because, I don't see the offense being held under 21 points too many times this season).

And Polamalu was out of the line up and they could play a better defense. Polamalu had a big fall off from 2013 and just could not be close to what he was in his prime. Too bad LeBeau was too stubborn. Taylor never should have been on the field last year and, unfortunately, Polamalu was a shell of his former self.

I see positives on defense, but they have to come together, much the same as our O Line when Munchak came along. Same guys looked like shit, couldn't get on the same page, taking each other out with injuries, etc. The more they play together as a unit, the better they become. I'm hoping that the LBers get on the same page and put their speed and scheme to work and start taking advantage of some offenses.

polamalubeast
08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Two things:

1. 20ppg was indeed what they averaged for the last half of the season.

2. I want all of what you want, but alas, I simply do not expect it.

SUMMATION:
If the defense performs about the same this season (20ppg), as they did at the end of last season (20ppg), I will be more than thrilled.

Only 8 teams have given 20 points per game or less in the NFL last year

The average of 20PPG the steelers had,it was only in the last four games of the regular season too....

teegre
08-18-2015, 05:11 PM
And Polamalu was out of the line up and they could play a better defense. Polamalu had a big fall off from 2013 and just could not be close to what he was in his prime. Too bad LeBeau was too stubborn. Taylor never should have been on the field last year and, unfortunately, Polamalu was a shell of his former self.

I see positives on defense, but they have to come together, much the same as our O Line when Munchak came along. Same guys looked like shit, couldn't get on the same page, taking each other out with injuries, etc. The more they play together as a unit, the better they become. I'm hoping that the LBers get on the same page and put their speed and scheme to work and start taking advantage of some offenses.

It hurts me to say it, but true.

I think that the defense will get better, as the young players play together more & more. That said, the pass rush (or, lack thereof) is going to be this team's Achilles heel. I'm normally not a proponent of having a 3-4 DE rush the passer (I prefer that they free up linemen for the OLBs), but this team will rise or fall on he back of Heyward & Tuitt. If those two can get 10 sacks apiece, this defense will be "good enough."

Count Steeler
08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
It hurts me to say it, but true.

I think that the defense will get better, as the young players play together more & more. That said, the pass rush (or, lack thereof) is going to be this team's Achilles heel. I'm normally not a proponent of having a 3-4 DE rush the passer (I prefer that they free up linemen for the OLBs), but this team will rise or fall on he back of Heyward & Tuitt. If those two can get 10 sacks apiece, this defense will be "good enough."

Can't agree more. Solid play from the nose tackle would also go a long way to solidifying the defense. McLendon, McCullers or cough,gag,spit, Thomas, cough,gag,spit will have to step up.

teegre
08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Only 8 teams have given 20 points per game or less in the NFL last year

The average of 20PPG the steelers had,it was only in the last four games of the regular season too....

Exactly. 20ppg isn't too shabby.

Last half of the season: 20.5ppg
Last 4 games: 17.5ppg

They got better as the year progressed...

- - - Updated - - -

cough,gag,spit, Thomas, cough,gag,spit

I'll pretend that I didn't read that...

(LOL)

Rotorhead
08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
I think it will be improved overall. The problem with saying this years 30ppg is better or worse than last years 20-25ppg (just an example) is we are playing different teams with a lot of changes and a harder schedule. So I will just be happy if our rush is better and our DBs play better. If there is a visual improvement in QB pressure and coverage throughout the season and we are playing well heading into the playoffs, this year was a success. Once in the playoffs we have our chance. Hell as bad as our Def was last season, if we didn't lose Bell we could have made a pretty good run I think.

hawaiiansteeler
08-18-2015, 05:17 PM
I LOVE my Steelers, but I'm a realist.

the Steelers' defense is not going to hold opposing teams to 20 points per game.

Count Steeler
08-18-2015, 05:17 PM
I'll pretend that I didn't read that...

(LOL)

Still don't know what he is doing on this roster. Even read a story yesterday that he is impressing the coaches. I sure hope he outperforms my expectations.

teegre
08-18-2015, 05:25 PM
I think it will be improved overall. The problem with saying this years 30ppg is better or worse than last years 20-25ppg (just an example) is we are playing different teams with a lot of changes and a harder schedule. So I will just be happy if our rush is better and our DBs play better. If there is a visual improvement in QB pressure and coverage throughout the season and we are playing well heading into the playoffs, this year was a success. Once in the playoffs we have our chance. Hell as bad as our Def was last season, if we didn't lose Bell we could have made a pretty good run I think.

Good points.

I I guess my point is this:
Do not expect this team to be like the 2008 team: carried by the defense. The 2015 Steelers are going to have to win shoot outs.

- - - Updated - - -

I LOVE my Steelers, but I'm a realist.

the Steelers' defense is not going to hold opposing teams to 20 points per game.

True... they'll hold opponents to 19ppg. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Still don't know what he is doing on this roster. Even read a story yesterday that he is impressing the coaches. I sure hope he outperforms my expectations.

I watched him in San Diego (my wife is a Bolts fan). Every week, he sucked worse & worse... until they replaced him with an absolute scrub from Dallas.

Thomas was cut... Chargers fans rejoiced... and then out of nowhere, the Steelers picked him up. I was like: WTF... NOOO!!!!!

I keep hoping that I am wrong; that he will play like he did at North Carolina. But, alas, I am right about this: he sucks.

hawaiiansteeler
08-18-2015, 05:27 PM
True... they'll hold opponents to 19ppg. :wink:

do I win the bet if it's 19.51 ppg? :wink02:

teegre
08-18-2015, 05:28 PM
do I win the bet if it's 19.51 ppg? :wink02:

:applaudit: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

pepsyman1
08-19-2015, 12:23 AM

That's not gonna be enough. ALL of our expectations of him are that he sucks ass, not hard to exceed that. :chuckle::chuckle:

teegre
08-19-2015, 06:28 AM
That's not gonna be enough. ALL of our expectations of him are that he sucks ass, not hard to exceed that. :chuckle::chuckle:

LOL

FAN 1: Cam Thomas is playing like a three-year old girl with a broken leg.

FAN 2: That's better than I expected... I figured he'd play like a three-year old girl with TWO broken legs.

86WARD
08-19-2015, 06:31 AM

Agree with this 100%...

teegre
08-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Agree with this 100%...

Honestly, I don't really care (to a degree) how the first half goes, as long as the defense is peaking towards the end of the season and throughout the playoffs.

Count Steeler
08-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Honestly, I don't really care (to a degree) how the first half goes, as long as the defense is peaking towards the end of the season and throughout the playoffs.

If we can get to the playoffs with an improved defense and the offense firing on all cylinders, no telling where we can end up. I don't think the offense will keep us back this year, just hope the defense does enough to get us into the playoffs.

teegre
08-19-2015, 10:56 PM
If we can get to the playoffs with an improved defense and the offense firing on all cylinders, no telling where we can end up. I don't think the offense will keep us back this year, just hope the defense does enough to get us into the playoffs.

What I hope for, more than anything, is for the offense to hover (+/- 3 points) around their average 31ppg (28-34ppg)... as opposed to going up & down.

Too often, last season, they'd score a ton (51, 43) and then almost nothing (6, 10, 17). They didn't need 40, and no team can win while only scoring in the teens. Whereas, if they had scored between 28-34ppg, they would have been 13-3.

If the offense is consistent, then the defense only needs to be "average." Even if the defense isn't as good as the end of last year (21ppg), they'd only really need to hold opponents to 27ppg... as long as the offense lives up to its full potential.

Count Steeler
08-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Another factor that will dictate our in game handling is whether the offense can get an early lead or not. If they can jump out to a 16 point lead, it will afford them the opportunity to ground and pound and take time off the clock. The opponents won't be able to score without the ball.

TD's & Beer
08-20-2015, 12:42 PM
If they can jump out to a 16 point lead, it will afford them the opportunity to ground and pound and take time off the clock. The opponents won't be able to score without the ball.

As long as they can do that every game we should be OK

Count Steeler
08-20-2015, 02:00 PM
As long as they can do that every game we should be OK

It is nice to dream, but my guess is, we will be lucky if we ever get in that position. Probably going to be a lot of 4th quarter nail biters.

TD's & Beer
08-20-2015, 03:43 PM
It is nice to dream, but my guess is, we will be lucky if we ever get in that position. Probably going to be a lot of 4th quarter nail biters.

Better hope we picked the right kicker then, eh?

Mojouw
08-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Pass rush will be the key. Get a pass rush, and a bunch of warts on this defense get covered up. Sadly, I don't see any legitimate pass rush threats on the roster off the edge, unless James Harrison is truly on some fountain of youth kick and can saddle up for one last ride.

Maybe Moats can get some pressure...but I look at the roster otherwise and I don't see it at the OLB position.

salamander
08-20-2015, 05:46 PM
I still firmly believe that with Ike Taylor and Troy out of the lineup last year, the defense played better. It was evident in the playoff game when Troy played.