PDA

View Full Version : Soft-spoken Pouncey grows into role as one of Steelers' team leaders

hawaiiansteeler
08-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Soft-spoken Pouncey grows into role as one of Steelers' team leaders

By Mark Kaboly
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=vKyFi MfbzOeKcf1TzMxH9M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvu$Y$c0e$A33b A$mNP6ON2WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey, a four-time Pro Bowler, allowed one sack and two quarterback hurries last season while playing more snaps than any other center in the league. 'When you are a competitor, you want to be out there and be great,' Pouncey said.

Center of attention

Aside from three years in the 2000s, the Steelers have had five centers in 50 years:

Name Years Starts Accolades

Ray Mansfield 1966-75 111 Two-time second-team All-Pro

Mike Webster 1976-88 194 Nine Pro Bowls, five-time first-team All-Pro, Hall of Fame

Dermontti Dawson 1989-2000 176 Seven Pro Bowls, six-time first-team All-Pro, Hall of Fame

Jeff Hartings 2001-06 89 Two Pro Bowls, first-team All-Pro

Maurkice Pouncey 2010-present 62 Four Pro Bowls, two-time first-team All-Pro

Maurkice Pouncey, a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time first-team All-Pro, wasn't thrilled about being told he had to watch the Steelers' first preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings.

So one can imagine his reaction when Mike Tomlin decided to put Pouncey on the physically unable to perform list, mostly for precautionary reasons, the day the Steelers reported to training camp two weeks earlier.

“I told coach that I didn't want to go on PUP,” Pouncey said. “It (stinks) watching. It is hard sitting there and watching. I didn't want to do it.”

Pouncey did enough watching two years ago to last a career.

Eight snaps into the 2013 season, Pouncey tore up one of his knees and was lost for the year when guard David DeCastro accidentally lunged into the side of Pouncey's leg on a run play.

It was a devastating loss for the Steelers and continues to have a profound and lasting effect on Pouncey.

That's why Pouncey didn't want to start the season on PUP.

That's why he wanted to play in the made-for-backups game against the Vikings, the first of five preseason games.

That's why he was one of the first players on the field Friday at EverBank Field for what was another meaningless game for the highest-paid and arguably the best center in the game.

“I saw what it was like not being able to play, I saw what it was like to retire and I saw what it was like not being able to run out of the tunnel with the guys before. That was a terrible feeling,” Pouncey said. “I tell people all the time it was humbling. It was a reality check whenever you are at the top and it's taken away from you. … You really see how much you love something.”

Though it was a difficult period in his career, it wasn't all bad for Pouncey. He was able to grow in a way that has shown up almost two years later: leadership.

Because he wasn't able to contribute on the field during his recovery, he found another way to be involved.

The Steelers' offensive linemen were struggling to relate to then-new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. and needed help.

Enter Pouncey.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8917702-74/pouncey-pro-team#ixzz3j1OBJQl7

Count Steeler
08-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Can they please get a better system for the snap count when they are the visitors. I can't stand the way Foster looks back to Ben, sets, and then taps Pouncey for the snap. If I was on the defense, I'm moving as soon as Foster taps Pouncey.

katmandu
08-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Can they please get a better system for the snap count when they are the visitors. I can't stand the way Foster looks back to Ben, sets, and then taps Pouncey for the snap. If I was on the defense, I'm moving as soon as Foster taps Pouncey.What alternate system would you tell them to do ?

steelreserve
08-19-2015, 10:03 AM
What alternate system would you tell them to do ?

Just have the QB scream a bunch of swear words at random, and on odd-numbered downs you snap it on the third F-word, and on even-numbered downs you snap it on the third racial slur.

Count Steeler
08-19-2015, 11:27 AM
What alternate system would you tell them to do ?

How many teams are doing this? I may have seen 1 other team, but I don't watch that much football anymore. Surely a silent count would be better than tapping Pouncey. I think it gives the defense an edge.

86WARD
08-19-2015, 01:03 PM
There may be more to "the tap" than we think. It could be a silent count, could be an instant snap. They could probably still make the cadence varied...Foster may just be telling Poincey that everyone is set with the tap...

TeeTee
08-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Pouncey has been a "team leader" since he was a rookie. Got to write about something I guess.

Count Steeler
08-19-2015, 01:29 PM
There may be more to "the tap" than we think. It could be a silent count, could be an instant snap. They could probably still make the cadence varied...Foster may just be telling Poincey that everyone is set with the tap...

I could understand if there is a variation after the tap. From all the plays I have seen, it is tap, snap. A Polamalu type defender would eat them alive.

teegre
08-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Pouncey's first order of business during camp: passing out "Free Hernandez" hats to all of the rookies.

tube517
08-19-2015, 02:05 PM
How many teams are doing this? I may have seen 1 other team, but I don't watch that much football anymore. Surely a silent count would be better than tapping Pouncey. I think it gives the defense an edge.

Maybe Goose Wallace can .....never mind.

steelreserve
08-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Maybe Goose Wallace can .....never mind.

that would be a hell of a way to start a drive.