PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB Ryan Shazier Asked To Play The Third Quarter Against Jaguars

polamalubeast
08-16-2015, 10:24 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-asked-to-play-the-third-quarter-against-jaguars/

BigNastyDefense
08-16-2015, 10:37 AM
This is part of why I am a huge fan of this kid, other than the fact that he's a Buckeye. He knows last season was a big disappointment, especially after he was handed the starting ILB job next to Timmons.

He wants to get the work in. He knows the NFL is a different monster from major college football. He wants to be in play making mode come game one. This is the only way for him to get there, to see where he really needs work. You don't get that knowledge in practice because you can't hit the QB and most practices are non/limited contact.

He's blowing through the line untouched on blitzes, but he's running past the QB. He needs to slow up some after getting through the line so he can get the the QB. Sack the QB, hit the QB, pressure the QB. If the QB knows you're going to run past him, he knows he has time to step up in the pocket or step to the side and fire the pass. I think Shazier & the coaches knows this and will be able to fix it.

st33lersguy
08-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Now it is time to limit his preseason reps. I do not want this guy getting injured in preseason

TD's & Beer
08-16-2015, 11:50 AM
So why was Shazier in there busting his ass all game while Jarvis was taking time off chilling on the bench? Surely they aren't just handing him that OLB job.

HE should have been out there getting more reps - Lord knows he needs them.

86WARD
08-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Jones doesn't like to put forth the effort...obviously.

lipps83
08-16-2015, 01:30 PM
So why was Shazier in there busting his ass all game while Jarvis was taking time off chilling on the bench? Surely they aren't just handing him that OLB job.

HE should have been out there getting more reps - Lord knows he needs them.

That is what happens when you draft a 3rd round pick in the 1st round. He feels entitled. He is a hard worker, off the field.

Reminds me of Ziggy Hood, but he isn't as good as Hood was. Hood was average at best. Jones right now can't catch a glimpse of average.

SteelerFanInStl
08-16-2015, 02:12 PM
That is what happens when you draft a 3rd round pick in the 1st round. He feels entitled. He is a hard worker, off the field.

Reminds me of Ziggy Hood, but he isn't as good as Hood was. Hood was average at best. Jones right now can't catch a glimpse of average.

Where exactly are you getting this "3rd round pick" crap from? There wasn't ANYONE prior to the draft predicting that Jones would be taken as late as the 3rd round. Most predicted that he would be gone way before our pick in the first. Here's what SBNation said about our top 3 picks that year:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Le'Veon Bell (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/113936/le-veon-bell), RB, Michigan State
Markus Wheaton (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/77807/markus-wheaton), WR, Oregon State

Jarvis Jones remains one of the steals of the entire draft. Bell likely got the nod for Pittsburgh because he's a better blocker than most running backs. His playing style fits how the Steelers run the ball. The same can be said for Wheaton in the pass game. He should be one of the top rookie wide receivers this season because he can stretch the field vertically.
Grade: A+

Bucky Brooks called Jones the Best Pick in the AFC North and said this about him:

Some draft picks just seem tailor-made for their new teams. Jones falls into this category, as his game ideally suits theSteelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)' zone-blitz scheme. An explosive edge rusher with exceptional first-step quickness and burst, Jones wreaks havoc off the edges against the run and pass. From strip-sacks to game-changing tackles for loss, Jones has a penchant for disruption that perfectly fits the mold of Pittsburgh linebackers.

Funny how everyone is NOW coming out and talking about how crappy the pick was. Where were you people right after he was drafted when all of the "experts" were talking about how much of a steal the pick was? Everyone loved the pick.

The truth about the '13 draft is that there isn't a single 3-4 OLBer taken in that draft that's done much of anything. Mingo was taken #6 by the Browns and they're calling him a "bust" also.

I'm not a big fan of Jones because he hasn't produced up to his draft stock, but to call him a "3rd round pick" is ridiculous.

At this point I don't even really care what happens with Jones. We took the best player in that draft in the 2nd round and that makes the whole draft good for me.

BigNastyDefense
08-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Where exactly are you getting this "3rd round pick" crap from? There wasn't ANYONE prior to the draft predicting that Jones would be taken as late as the 3rd round. Most predicted that he would be gone way before our pick in the first. Here's what SBNation said about our top 3 picks that year:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Le'Veon Bell (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/113936/le-veon-bell), RB, Michigan State
Markus Wheaton (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/77807/markus-wheaton), WR, Oregon State

Jarvis Jones remains one of the steals of the entire draft. Bell likely got the nod for Pittsburgh because he's a better blocker than most running backs. His playing style fits how the Steelers run the ball. The same can be said for Wheaton in the pass game. He should be one of the top rookie wide receivers this season because he can stretch the field vertically.
Grade: A+

Bucky Brooks called Jones the Best Pick in the AFC North and said this about him:

Some draft picks just seem tailor-made for their new teams. Jones falls into this category, as his game ideally suits theSteelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)' zone-blitz scheme. An explosive edge rusher with exceptional first-step quickness and burst, Jones wreaks havoc off the edges against the run and pass. From strip-sacks to game-changing tackles for loss, Jones has a penchant for disruption that perfectly fits the mold of Pittsburgh linebackers.

Funny how everyone is NOW coming out and talking about how crappy the pick was. Where were you people right after he was drafted when all of the "experts" were talking about how much of a steal the pick was? Everyone loved the pick.

The truth about the '13 draft is that there isn't a single 3-4 OLBer taken in that draft that's done much of anything. Mingo was taken #6 by the Browns and they're calling him a "bust" also.

I'm not a big fan of Jones because he hasn't produced up to his draft stock, but to call him a "3rd round pick" is ridiculous.

At this point I don't even really care what happens with Jones. We took the best player in that draft in the 2nd round and that makes the whole draft good for me.

Agreed. And before his injury last season he looked like he might be getting it. I do care what happens with Jones because this defense is still going to be predicated on QB pressure and if a first round pick at the position that's supposed to do that isn't getting the job done, it's a waste of a first round pick and hurts the depth of the team at the position. Yeah, we got the best player in the whole draft in the second round with Bell, who probably is the steal of the draft, but JJ not panning out will turn a draft that could have been graded an A+ to a C at best.

In the first three games of the season: 14 total tackles, 2 sacks 1 FF. Then he got hurt, and by the time he came back Harrison was in there being a force, so the Steelers threw Jarvis on the backburner because they felt that's what was best for the season going forward.

Now he's in his third season, and they say this is when a lot of players "get it." It's after the third season that most coaches can really tell if a player is going to pan out or be a bust. I'll be ready to label him a bust one way or the other if he doesn't do well this season. I need to see him make it through a season, come away with at least 8 sacks, and hopefully some splash plays (strip sacks, forced fumbles, an interception or two) to say he's going to pan out. If he misses a lot of time because he's hurt, I'll label him an injury bust. And if he plays but is ineffective, I'll say he's a talent bust.

Also, I am going to save judgement on JJ until at least a quarter or so of the season is over. I am definitely not going to judge him on preseason performance where the Steelers may be limiting his snaps so he doesn't get hurt, and may be asking him to not show anything extra so when he uses something that nobody has seen (like a spin move or a bull rush) it really is a shock. I don't think Butler and the Steelers want to show their hand when nobody knows what to expect with a new coordinator and what seems to be a shift to some cover two philosophy.

TeeTee
08-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Just because a player asks to play longer in a PS game doesn't mean you allow it. Someone has to be the parent in this relationship and you don't let kids do whatever they want because they are stupid and don't know better. Shaz has established that he is going to be one of our best players on D, there is no reason to risk injury having him play deep into the 3rd Q. This is yet another sign that Tomlin has poor judgement at times. Sometime head coaches need to be parent, and not buddies. MT appears to be one of those parents who doesn't know when to stop being buddies. "Oh you want to keep playing deep into a meaningless game? Ummm, the answer is 'no.'"

Psycho Ward 86
08-16-2015, 04:54 PM
i greatly appreciate the enthusiasm, not a fan of actually having him play into the 3rd quarter though. Especially not against the Jaguars scrubs, of all teams. just make it count for the next preseason games Ryan

SteelerFanInStl
08-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Agreed. And before his injury last season he looked like he might be getting it. I do care what happens with Jones because this defense is still going to be predicated on QB pressure and if a first round pick at the position that's supposed to do that isn't getting the job done, it's a waste of a first round pick and hurts the depth of the team at the position. Yeah, we got the best player in the whole draft in the second round with Bell, who probably is the steal of the draft, but JJ not panning out will turn a draft that could have been graded an A+ to a C at best.

In the first three games of the season: 14 total tackles, 2 sacks 1 FF. Then he got hurt, and by the time he came back Harrison was in there being a force, so the Steelers threw Jarvis on the backburner because they felt that's what was best for the season going forward.

Now he's in his third season, and they say this is when a lot of players "get it." It's after the third season that most coaches can really tell if a player is going to pan out or be a bust. I'll be ready to label him a bust one way or the other if he doesn't do well this season. I need to see him make it through a season, come away with at least 8 sacks, and hopefully some splash plays (strip sacks, forced fumbles, an interception or two) to say he's going to pan out. If he misses a lot of time because he's hurt, I'll label him an injury bust. And if he plays but is ineffective, I'll say he's a talent bust.

Also, I am going to save judgement on JJ until at least a quarter or so of the season is over. I am definitely not going to judge him on preseason performance where the Steelers may be limiting his snaps so he doesn't get hurt, and may be asking him to not show anything extra so when he uses something that nobody has seen (like a spin move or a bull rush) it really is a shock. I don't think Butler and the Steelers want to show their hand when nobody knows what to expect with a new coordinator and what seems to be a shift to some cover two philosophy.

You're right. I shouldn't say that I don't really care about JJ because I do. The Steelers need him to produce this year and I'm still hoping that he's able to do that and show us something when the real games start.

GBMelBlount
08-16-2015, 10:03 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Shazier is gifted.

However his speed and reckless abandon remind me of Troy.

Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Rotorhead
08-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Well, if JJ doesn't pan out, hopefully Dupree can and we have him and Moats on the outside next season with yet another 1st rd OLB drafted. For this season we have James to replace JJ while Dupree learns so I am not real concerned either way with JJ. I am hopeful he can put up 8 sacks, improve all season and start playing like we all were hoping for. But all is not lost if he doesn't.

TeeTee
08-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Huey part duex.

http://stillcurtain.com/2015/04/07/steelers-draft-who-the-heck-is-huey-richardson/

86WARD
08-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Just because a player asks to play longer in a PS game doesn't mean you allow it. Someone has to be the parent in this relationship and you don't let kids do whatever they want because they are stupid and don't know better. Shaz has established that he is going to be one of our best players on D, there is no reason to risk injury having him play deep into the 3rd Q. This is yet another sign that Tomlin has poor judgement at times. Sometime head coaches need to be parent, and not buddies. MT appears to be one of those parents who doesn't know when to stop being buddies. "Oh you want to keep playing deep into a meaningless game? Ummm, the answer is 'no.'"

Better to get hurt now with time to heal than in December. If an injury bug is going to bite, the injury bug is going to bite...nothing you can do about it. Can't play football with fear...then you wind up like Jarvis Jones.

Craic
08-17-2015, 09:08 PM

I'm mostly in agreement here, except that you have to remember for him, it's not a true 3rd year. The 3rd year idea comes becomes players have played that many years and the game really begins slowing down for them. Since he hasn't, this year, if he plays all the way through, will be more like the end of a rookie year or beginning of his second year. I'm hoping for a good 2nd year performance this year. Not a 3rd year breakout season. IMO, expecting a third-year performance (or to match up with third-year metrics) is unfair to a player who hasn't completed a year's worth of games yet.

BigNastyDefense
08-18-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm mostly in agreement here, except that you have to remember for him, it's not a true 3rd year. The 3rd year idea comes becomes players have played that many years and the game really begins slowing down for them. Since he hasn't, this year, if he plays all the way through, will be more like the end of a rookie year or beginning of his second year. I'm hoping for a good 2nd year performance this year. Not a 3rd year breakout season. IMO, expecting a third-year performance (or to match up with third-year metrics) is unfair to a player who hasn't completed a year's worth of games yet.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other he's in his third training camp, been through two years of practices and meetings, and they've "dumbed down" the defense with LeBeau gone. He's had the tutelage of Joey Porter who knows a thing or two about how to get to the QB in the NFL.

If he gets hurt and misses a big chunk of the season, then you know he can't stay healthy. If he stays healthy and doesn't show any improvement, you know he's likely not going to improve.

JoeyPorter55
08-22-2015, 01:27 PM
The kid's going to be special