PDA

View Full Version : B’s buzz in debut; defense goes splat

stillers4me
08-15-2015, 07:23 AM
While the Killer B’s offense picked right up where it left off, the Steelers defense struggled against the NFL’s most anemic offense last season. Ben Roethlisberger, Le’Veon Bell, Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant needed six plays and a little more than three minutes of playing time to score a touchdown in their first appearance of the preseason.

But the defense did not have that kind of immediate success against the Jacksonville Jaguars Friday night at EverBank Field.........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/15/B-s-buzz-in-debut-defense-goes-splat/stories/201508150075

Edman
08-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Preseason.

I take absolutely nothing seriously. Good or Bad. Way too early to tell what's going on. In the 2008 preseason, the Steelers D got completely run over against the Bills, they ended up being one of the greatest Defenses of all time.

Who knows, for all we know the Offense could be substandard and the Defense could be good in 2015, we'll never know until the season starts.

If there's anything I learned from watching these preseason games, there are a lot of teams who take it seriously and try to show out, them promptly fizzle out once the season begins.

salamander
08-15-2015, 08:00 AM
That was brutal to watch and all the more reason the offense will have to carry this team.

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 08:01 AM
It wasn't even a splat - they'd have to be moving to make a splat. It was more of a muffled fart.

lipps83
08-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Shazier looks like he might be good, but the other two LB's....well.....time will tell on Dupree but we pretty much already know we get nothing from Jarvis Jones. Not sure why he is still on the team. Oh yeah, they drafted a 3rd round pick in the 1st.

Imagine if the Steelers could find linebackers like they do receivers....what if..what if..

Nobody has stood out in the secondary to me, good or bad. They are just kind of there.

stillers4me
08-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Tomlin, Haley, and Butler are putting the 2nd and 3rd teams into situations so they can evaluate. Period. No game plan, no strategy. I assume they are taking the game tape and using them for teaching purposes. Nothing more to see here.

polamalubeast
08-15-2015, 08:37 AM
If you think it was ugly in defense against the Jaguars,wait next week against Aaron Rodgers!

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Steelers' 1st-team offense clicks early in preseason loss to Jaguars, defense shaky

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Stop if you heard this before: The Steelers' offense was a dominating force, their defense couldn't stop much of anything and the result was a loss to a bad team.

Guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Steelers' record-breaking offense, intact for the first time this preseason, was flawless in their only drive of Friday's preseason game against the Jaguars that lasted six plays and resulted in a 44-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Martavis Bryant.

Still, that was overshadowed by a shaky defensive showing — mostly with the first team still in the game — in a 23-21 loss to a Jaguars' team that won three games a year ago.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz3isdueE00 (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8911521-74/game-preseason-steelers#axzz3isdueE00)
--------------

Shaky isn't even the word for it.

poor Butler, wait till he finds out his schemes don't mean a thing without playmakers

polamalubeast
08-15-2015, 09:07 AM
In the first 2 games, the opponents of the steelers has completed 70% of their passes!

86WARD
08-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Not much encouraging coming out of the defense outside of Harrison and Shazier from yesterday's ball game. Offense looked great for a series. Special Teams was the worst and has been the worst. Thanks Danny Smith...great coaching!! Ugh...

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Special Teams was the worst and has been the worst. Thanks Danny Smith...great coaching!! Ugh...

I don't know if it's the coach - lack of quality depth usually shows up on S.T.'s - that's on whoever is picking these guys

oh, and why is Wing and his stupid 30 yd reverse spin punts still on the team?

surely we can find a punter with a leg somewhere that can double duty to kick the ball into the EZ on kickoffs - these guys are gonna get gashed all year if this keeps up

tube517
08-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Wingberger is woefully inconsistent.

I'm no fan of Danny Smith but losing Golden and Bubba's (Ventrone) brother doesn't help either.

Fire Butler thread should've been started and stickied when he was hired :chuckle:

Steeldude
08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Pre-season is not to ignored either. The fundamentals should be present regardless if it's pre-season.

From the looks of it Harrison will probably be the only effective pass rusher.