PDA

View Full Version : PRESEASON GAME 2 (Jaguars): LIKES & DISLIKES

86WARD
08-15-2015, 05:35 AM
What were your likes and dislikes coming off the 23-21 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars?

86WARD
08-15-2015, 05:44 AM
• First and Foremost the Steelers Offense on the first series. Made it look easy.
• Steelers Defense on their first series.
• Martavis Bryant Offensive Game Ball, Ryan Shazier Defensive Game Ball.
• Garrett Hartley FG/XP
• I liked Landry Jones' progression. As terrible as he seems, he's getting better. He's making quick decisions, he's making good decisions, he's not getting a lot of help from some of the receivers...although Jesse James made a beautiful catch.
• CJ Goodwin
• James Harrison still bringing it!

DISLIKES:
• Special Teams - they are terrible. Terrible. Punters and kickers are still making tackles.
• Defense was porous...Bortles and Gerhardt looked like All-Pros out there. Clay Harbour, if he could catch would've had over 100 yards receiving...lol. Jags QBs love their TEs.
• Shakim Phillips was bad. Very bad.
• O-Line was getting throttled for about a quarter or so...giving Landry no time.
• I dislike that Jones is getting the amount of snaps he's getting. I understand why, but I'd like to see Boyd get some action.
• Too many easy catches being dropped because of fundamentals...fundamentals...an ongoing thing with these Tomlin teams.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something,

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Ben is a GOD!!!

Bryant could be a beast this year. Loved that over the shoulder hands grab.

1st string offense was brilliant, unstoppable. Bubble wrap them for the rest of the preseason. We can't afford any injuries.

We will need those 35+ pts a game.

Sammie Coates made some nice catches towards the end. He should get more PT, but we are stacked at WR.

The "Defense" isn't even worth the spit to talk about.

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 07:05 AM
almost forgot

5 WIDE 2 pt conversion!

hell ya!

Go for it every time!

86WARD
08-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Ben is a GOD!!!

Bryant could be a beast this year. Loved that over the shoulder hands grab.

1st string offense was brilliant, unstoppable. Bubble wrap them for the rest of the preseason. We can't afford any injuries.

We will need those 35+ pts a game.

Sammie Coates made some nice catches towards the end. He should get more PT, but we are stacked at WR.

The "Defense" isn't even worth the spit to talk about.

Coates had some bad drops too...

One of the dislikes I forgot...drops.

Nadroj 20
08-15-2015, 07:17 AM
almost forgot

5 WIDE 2 pt conversion!

hell ya!

Go for it every time!

I'm not suggesting we do go for it every time, but if our offense is going to be as high powered as it appears it's going to be why not go for 2 a few times per game to help build a lead and potentially put the pressure on the other team to also have to go for 2.

Not every time or anything, but I think this becomes an interesting strategy because of the PAT getting moved back this year.

86WARD
08-15-2015, 09:24 AM
You could conceivably go for 2 three times and miss on all three and tie it with a FG if the other team has a strategy to kick XPs instead of going for 2...

Count Steeler
08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I didn't watch the game. I'll be watching some of it later on NFL Network.

What I would love to see is the fundamentals being take care of. It took about 5 weeks last year to finally get the team going straight. Too much emphasis on splash and not enough on basics. Loved how Noll's teams, after a loss, would go back to basics and usually win the next game by at least 2 TDs.

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 09:49 AM
My best loved part of all

No injuries - I was holding my breath every time Bell touched the ball

tube517
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Dislikes: Jags uniforms and their announcers.

stillers4me
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
My best loved part of all

No injuries - I was holding my breath every time Bell touched the ball

RB Josh Harris went out with a foot injury. No details yet. It's not like we have a lot of depth there. Expect a signing this week?

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
RB Josh Harris went out with a foot injury. No details yet. It's not like we have a lot of depth there. Expect a signing this week?

Sorry, I missed that - was watching the Jags broadcast - they never mentioned it. Deangelo ran the ball OK.

polamalubeast
08-15-2015, 10:01 AM

The injury is not serious

Craic
08-15-2015, 10:17 AM
I caught most of the first half, so my comments are limited to that.

First team offense. If that wasn't a statement last night about how this offense is going to play this year . . .

Dri Archer blocking. He literally flipped a LB arse over elbow coming around the left side with a cut block. Then got up and went after another LB. I really am liking his development.

Shaz. He seems to be getting it.

To a lesser extent, Jarvis caused some problems for the O line with his hustle, including drawing a penalty for holding. We'd like to see a whole lot more from him, but it was nice, nonetheless.

Brad Wing not being the typical punter, but getting involved in the play and tackles (did not like it in the preseason, however, but overall its a good thing when your punter is willing to hit).

Landry Jones threaded the needle with a pass that made my jaw drop. It was a pass that even Ben doesn't complete 50 percent of the time.

Dislikes:

There's a tremendous drop off between the first and second team. So much it scares me if we have an injury in any one place (outside of RB, where I like our 2nd team player). Its a natural part of rebuilding, so I'm not too upset about it, but I don't like it.

James Harrison got out muscled, and almost trucked. I never thought I'd see the day that happened. Makes me a little worried about him.

Too many easy throws for the opposing QB. I'll withhold judgment here, however, as there was little to no gameplanning, and a first team NFL QB should be able to march an offense down the field against a defense that hasn't gameplanned.

Landry Jones on most of his other passes.

Defense seemed to have a hard time bringing down Running backs (see James Harrison above). This, unlike pass protection, has nothing to do with gameplanning, and it has me very worried. They look weak in physical matchups. Speed is great, but if they can't do anything once they get to the runner, it means nothing.

jkirchel
08-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Likes: First team offense made it look easy, Killer B's, Shazier, Moats.

Dislikes: Zone D., William Gay being out of place, beginning to think the coaches are telling the kickers to kick it short, couldn't stop the run, Archer slowing down in the flat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
my opinion is much the same as above.

Other random thoughts, I was really weirded out by how long Ryan Shazier was on the field. Until the middle of the 3rd quarter i believe? Unecessary. And the Landry project needs to just die. give his snaps to Tajh Boyd

Steeldude
08-15-2015, 01:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000510456/Preseason-Week-1-Steelers-vs-Jaguars-highlights

Watch Jarvis Jones at 2:10. Where is the effort/determination? Or was that his top speed? I'm sorry, but that looks lazy.

TD's & Beer
08-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Where is the effort/determination? Or was that his top speed? I'm sorry, but that looks lazy.

Playing not to get hurt? I don't know what it is about him. You keep waiting for the light to come on but it hasn't yet. Still gets pushed around, can't set the edge on runs, gets swatted away like a butterfly on the pass rush. same same

It's his 3rd year. He's played in 21 games and has exactly 3 QB hits. Where's the strength/speed/explosion we've come to expect from great Steelers LBs?

He better start showing it or he can go join Ziggy Hood on the Jags and win 3 games a year for awhile.

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm seeing a lack of effort/determination from a lot of players on this team, especially on the defense.