PDA

View Full Version : Does height matter? A short look at the Steelers CBs

hawaiiansteeler
08-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Does height matter? A short look at the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerbacks

By Dani Bostick

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/J2ZyhKT-iPEvnh2bfpw_AY9TQTs=/0x0:3105x2070/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46934880/usa-today-8311464.0.jpg

How tall do cornerbacks need to be? According to Chip Kelly, taller than Brandon Boykin. Is he on to something, or is it a myth that short guys cannot be effective in the secondary?

Senquez Golson is 5'9", 176 lbs. The rookie out of Mississippi is on PUP, but back in the spring, he generated a lot of distracting banter about his small stature after the Steelers drafted him in the second round. Also 5'9", Antwon Blake attended UTEP and was initially signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Picked up by the Steelers in 2013, last season was his most productive with 42 tackles, six passes defensed, and one interception.

Brandon Boykin is not tall either. At 5'10" 185 lbs, height was a huge factor in Boykin's ongoing drama with the Philadelphia Eagles before they eventually traded him to the Steelers last week. Given his performance in the first preseason game, it appears he is able to play effectively both in the slot and outside. 247 sports reported, "Kelly seemed to think Boykin was too short to play (outside) and kept him in the slot." CSNPhilly reported something similar in January: "The speculation has always been over his height. Since Chip Kelly's arrival as head coach, the Eagles have put an emphasis on taller, longer, more physical cornerbacks outside the numbers." A 2012 New York Times draft report addressed his height: "Brandon Boykin doesn't have great size. His height doesn't necessarily preclude him from playing outside but there's a solid chance he will start as and remain a nickel cornerback in the NFL."

Also 5'10" are Doran Grant, William Gay, and Kevin Fogg. Measuring taller are Cortez Allen at 6'1", B.W. Webb at 5'11", and Jordan Sullen at 6'0".

Does height matter at this position?

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/8/11/9129119/does-height-matter-a-short-look-at-the-pittsburgh-steelers-cornerbacks

86WARD
08-14-2015, 05:25 AM
Of course it matters...to a point. But you have to have speed and ball skills as well. I'll take a 5'10 guy with the instinct to be around he ball,constantly over an average guy with mad height...I think we all would. A guy like Richard Sherman has both. Those are rare to come by.

Craic
08-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Of course it matters...to a point. But you have to have speed and ball skills as well. I'll take a 5'10 guy with the instinct to be around he ball,constantly over an average guy with mad height...I think we all would. A guy like Richard Sherman has both. Those are rare to come by.

This.

You can get good enough to stop a tall guy with average skills, or an average guy with really good skills. But you can't train to stop a tall guy with really good skills (including jumping/catching at the highest point). At some point in life, every guy realizes that |<----this---->| does not equal |<-------------------this------------------->| There's no getting around measurements. But as quoted above, I'd rather have the guy with the skills than the guy with the height.

tube517
08-14-2015, 04:39 PM
This.

You can get good enough to stop a tall guy with average skills, or an average guy with really good skills. But you can't train to stop a tall guy with really good skills (including jumping/catching at the highest point). At some point in life, every guy realizes that |<----this---->| does not equal |<-------------------this------------------->| There's no getting around measurements. But as quoted above, I'd rather have the guy with the skills than the guy with the height.
That's what she said

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Nadroj 20
08-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I agree with what's been said so far. Great skills will make up for being shorter.

But a 5'9" guy going against a 6'5" Calvin Johnson for a jumpball will lose 99 times out of 100. And the 1 time the DB would win Johnson slipped and fell.

86WARD
08-14-2015, 07:33 PM
I agree with what's been said so far. Great skills will make up for being shorter.

But a 5'9" guy going against a 6'5" Calvin Johnson for a jumpball will lose 99 times out of 100. And the 1 time the DB would win Johnson slipped and fell.

Same could be said about a 6'3" DB against Megatron...poor example...:eyebrows: