PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Haley saw positives from Landry Jones

hawaiiansteeler
08-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Steelers notebook: Haley saw positives from Landry Jones

August 12, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers managed to score three points in their preseason debut against the Minnesota Vikings Sunday night in the Hall of Fame Game. Third-year quarterback Landry Jones played nearly every snap and posted some very ordinary statistics — a 50 percent completion percentage (16 for 32) and only 135 yards through the air.

But don’t count Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley among those who think Jones had a poor outing.

“I thought the first half he did a lot of good things,” Haley said Tuesday after practice. “We obviously left some points out there. We turned the ball over. It’s the stuff I’ve been harping on that got us last year. C. J. Goodwin’s fumble occurred inside the 35. We gave up a minimum of 3 points there. We missed the stutter-and-go there to Sammy [Coates] that has to be a touchdown. We didn’t run a ball in that we probably should have walked in [a Cameron Stingily carry for no gain], and then we dropped three consecutive balls at the end of the half. That’s another 7 points, and we got none. To me, coming out of that first half with 17 points, you’re feeling pretty good about what you did.”

Of all those mistakes Haley mentioned, he only pinned one on Jones — the miss to Coates on the stutter-and- go.

And Jones didn’t exactly have a full complement of the team’s top skilled players at his disposal. Receivers Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton and running back Le’Veon Bell did not play.

If there was one criticism of Jones from Sunday, Haley said it was his inability to keep the offense in a flow when some of the reserves were getting most of the snaps after halftime.

“The second half, more guys filtered in it got a little sloppy, and he let it affect him too much,” Haley said. “I was encouraged by the first half.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/12/Haley-not-disappointed-in-Landry-Jones/stories/201508120096

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Classic coach speak. Dude's a train wreck.

teegre
08-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Damn... Haley must be drunk again.

ALLD
08-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Haley needs a drug test.

SteelerFanInStl
08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Classic coach speak. Dude's a train wreck.

Yep

zulater
08-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Season's over if Jones has to play more than one game.

tube517
08-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Haley should jump up and down with a cheesy grin or vandalize his landlord's rental house instead of praising Laundry Jones.

hawaiiansteeler
08-15-2015, 01:00 AM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Since 2003, as far back as ESPN tracked preseason stats, no Steeler came CLOSE to the 46 attempts Landry Jones had tonight. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

zulater
08-15-2015, 11:27 AM
I saw a positive from Landry Jones last night too. He positively can't play the game at the NFL level.

Mojouw
08-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Jones is not ready to be a #2, much less the starter - but he is making progress. You can see, on isolated throws, why the Steelers drafted him and continue to give him some rope. That throw to Coates was great.

IF he can continue to develop - he can get to being a competent back-up.

Look at Scott Tolzein. Undrafted in 2011, bounced around for a bit and now the Packers have developed him (despite some early awfulness) into Rogers main back-up.

Bottom line is that Jones should be cut if he does not show progress AND someone better becomes available. But the Steelers need to keep giving him some play to make sure they are correct. If Jones head and his arm ever get on the same page - he could be pretty good.

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I saw a positive from Landry Jones last night too. He positively can't play the game at the NFL level.

I agree. He's had 3 years to show what he's capable of and he's shown no ability at this level. It's time for him to go away and start his other career.

86WARD
08-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Jones is not ready to be a #2, much less the starter - but he is making progress. You can see, on isolated throws, why the Steelers drafted him and continue to give him some rope. That throw to Coates was great.

IF he can continue to develop - he can get to being a competent back-up.

Look at Scott Tolzein. Undrafted in 2011, bounced around for a bit and now the Packers have developed him (despite some early awfulness) into Rogers main back-up.

Bottom line is that Jones should be cut if he does not show progress AND someone better becomes available. But the Steelers need to keep giving him some play to make sure they are correct. If Jones head and his arm ever get on the same page - he could be pretty good.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Jones but you can clearly see he is getting better in his reads, progressions, release time and decisions are better. His stats would look better if the WRs weren't dropping the passes left and right...maybe not much better, but better...

hawaiiansteeler
08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
I agree. He's had 3 years to show what he's capable of and he's shown no ability at this level. It's time for him to go away and start his other career.

http://www.teamsterslocal294.org/images/Members%20at%20work%20Page/IMG_0044.jpg

tube517
08-15-2015, 07:51 PM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/017/912/uhh_khakis.png

KillerBs
08-15-2015, 08:23 PM
http://www.workpuzzle.com/.a/6a010535f94817970b0168e912bbfb970c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Count Steeler
08-15-2015, 08:27 PM
http://www.workpuzzle.com/.a/6a010535f94817970b0168e912bbfb970c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is he throwing? Some fish won't make it. I was actually there in July.