PDA

View Full Version : Drew Rosenhaus To Meet With Steelers To Discuss Antonio Brown’s Contract

polamalubeast
08-13-2015, 08:53 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/report-drew-rosenhaus-to-meet-with-steelers-to-discuss-antonio-browns-contract/

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree if the steelers gives an extension to Brown

Bluecoat96
08-13-2015, 09:51 AM
If they work out a new extension, I have no problem with it. He's earned it, and hasn't been a bitch about it, despite what the media tried to stir up.

The only thing the Steelers should require in a new contract would be that AB has to get rid of that idiotic haircut.

Nadroj 20
08-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Rosenhaus is T.Y. Hilton's agent. I'd expect Brown to get more than him.

polamalubeast
08-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Rosenhaus is T.Y. Hilton's agent. I'd expect Brown to get more than him.

And I have no problem with that, since Brown is better than Hilton!

86WARD
08-13-2015, 11:18 AM
In this case, I don't have a problem with it if the Steelers extended him now. I don't see them doing it, but if they did, I would not oppose.

BigNastyDefense
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't see them actually extending him now, but if they do I would be fine with it.

He would get more then Hilton, which is fine because he is the better receiver. He will probably come in at a bit less than the Dez Bryant contract, which is fine. Brown is worth the money.

And getting it done now would actually likely make it a bargain in a couple of years when we would be working out an extension anyhow.

steelreserve
08-13-2015, 12:11 PM
The only thing the Steelers should require in a new contract would be that AB has to get rid of that idiotic agent.

That's more like what they really ought to do.

I'm torn on this idea. On the one hand, Brown has turned into a superstar and you want to see him taken care of.

On the other hand, he's already well-paid by any standard, and the reason why we gave him that contract in the first place was potential that was not yet realized. A straight-up trade of leverage for security and an early payday on his part, which he was well aware of. Now a couple years into it, he's saying nope, just kidding, give me both? Nuh-uh.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know what you're about to say. "Bu-bu-but NFL teams cut players before the end of their contracts all the time!" Yeah, they do. They also get stuck with shitty contracts all the time. All I have to say about that is both AB and his agent knew the name of the game, and that's why the original deal treated him so well. So no, I don't see anything honorable about this on their end; they're not sticking up for the worker or whatever you want to label it. Just call it for what it is: Making threats in order to get more money.

zulater
08-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Bah, this is just Rosenhaus trying to get his name in the news. AB is under contract for 3 more years. No need for the Steelers to discuss anything associated with AB's contract at this time.

86WARD
08-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Bah, this is just Rosenhaus trying to get his name in the news. AB is under contract for 3 more years. No need for the Steelers to discuss anything associated with AB's contract at this time.

I tend to agree. The Steelers just don't tear up contracts...especially ones with 3 years left. I can understand Brown wanting this revisited...but the Steelers ripping up contract isn't in their mindset. But I could see the Steelers give him more guaranteed money, maybe add some incentives and add another year on the end of the contract for $12M or something like that...maybe 2 years...one at $10M and one at $12M. MAYBE something like that?

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 01:56 PM
That's more like what they really ought to do.

I'm torn on this idea. On the one hand, Brown has turned into a superstar and you want to see him taken care of.

On the other hand, he's already well-paid by any standard, and the reason why we gave him that contract in the first place was potential that was not yet realized. A straight-up trade of leverage for security and an early payday on his part, which he was well aware of. Now a couple years into it, he's saying nope, just kidding, give me both? Nuh-uh.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know what you're about to say. "Bu-bu-but NFL teams cut players before the end of their contracts all the time!" Yeah, they do. They also get stuck with shitty contracts all the time. All I have to say about that is both AB and his agent knew the name of the game, and that's why the original deal treated him so well. So no, I don't see anything honorable about this on their end; they're not sticking up for the worker or whatever you want to label it. Just call it for what it is: Making threats in order to get more money.

This. Brown's current contract was a MAJOR gamble on the Steelers' part when he signed it, so why shouldn't the team reap the benefits now?

Especially so soon after giving the farm to Woodley and getting absolutely burned on that deal, and the effects of which are still being felt (being stuck in cap hell until very recently, and two first round OLB picks in the last 3 drafts, with the first one looking more and more like he's headed straight for bustville).

teegre
08-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Here's the happy medium: restructure.

AB gets an extension that has a big signing bonus (more "up front" money), which then frees up immediate "cap space" money for the Steelers to re-sign DD and Bell.

AB gets more money now.
The Steelers get DD and Bell, plus they get to defer AB's cap hit for a few years.

Win-win

steelreserve
08-13-2015, 03:19 PM
I tend to agree. The Steelers just don't tear up contracts...especially ones with 3 years left. I can understand Brown wanting this revisited...but the Steelers ripping up contract isn't in their mindset. But I could see the Steelers give him more guaranteed money, maybe add some incentives and add another year on the end of the contract for $12M or something like that...maybe 2 years...one at $10M and one at $12M. MAYBE something like that?

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him an extension and paying him well for the extra years, or giving him more guaranteed money on the same contract, since it's obvious he's going to earn the full amount anyway. Tearing up the existing one for more money? No way, you've got three years left on a five-year deal.

As for the Woodley contract, we're still feeling that one. If I'm not mistaken, we're eating $7 million in dead money THIS year.

Not to mention that with the exception of a few players who were in their mid-30s, and some remarkable busts like Woodley, we tend to let a very high percentage of our guys play out their full contracts to the end. And in any case, Brown's deal is so large it's going to be restructured six ways from Sunday and pretty much make him uncuttable. If we give him a couple more years at $12-14M per, it's a cinch that he's going to get that money.

teegre
08-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Re: Woodley

Let's not forget that before he got injured in 2011, he was the leading DPOY candidate.

It wasn't a bad deal, as much as it was an unlucky deal.

86WARD
08-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah...I'm not for ripping up the current, but I don't have a problem throwing him more guaranteed and restructuring to include incentives. Freeing up money for Bell and DeCastro and Beachum is a good thing as well.

zulater
08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Contracts the Steelers will address before anyone with 3 yrs remaining on their contract will be addressed.

In no particular order.

LeVeon Bell. David DeCastro, and Kelvin Beachum.

tube517
08-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Re: Woodley

Let's not forget that before he got injured in 2011, he was the leading DPOY candidate.

It wasn't a bad deal, as much as it was an unlucky deal.

Doesn't matter. Woodley showed nothing in the 2007 HOF game. He should have been cut right there. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Doesn't matter. Woodley showed nothing in the 2007 HOF game. He should have been cut right there. :chuckle:

Lol. Lawrence Timmons was pretty bad that game...for real. Should've been cut.

Count Steeler
08-13-2015, 06:38 PM
There are some on this board that would have cut AB in his first year. Remember if Emanuel Sanders doesn't get hurt, Brown may not have seen the field.

Even with that, he had 16 receptions for a whooping 167 yards, no TDs and 1 fumble.

What were the Steelers thinking?

zulater
08-13-2015, 07:05 PM
There are some on this board that would have cut AB in his first year. Remember if Emanuel Sanders doesn't get hurt, Brown may not have seen the field.

Even with that, he had 16 receptions for a whooping 167 yards, no TDs and 1 fumble.

I don't know about that. He kinda flew under the radar until well into the season. ( though I get the sense your'e addressing a specific poster :lol: )But many were quite vocal in their disagreement with AB's last contract extension. How does that look now? :doh:

salamander
08-13-2015, 07:06 PM

He was clearly a bust. :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 07:07 PM
But many were quite vocal in their disagreement with AB's last contract extension. How does that look now? :doh:

The only reason Brown gets any touches at all is because Wallace draws all the coverage! -steeldawg

:chuckle:

zulater
08-13-2015, 07:27 PM
The only reason Brown gets any touches at all is because Wallace draws all the coverage! -steeldawg

:chuckle:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/14345-Steelers-Continue-Contract-Extension-Negotiations-With-Mike-Wallace

Good times, good times! :heh:

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/14345-Steelers-Continue-Contract-Extension-Negotiations-With-Mike-Wallace

Good times, good times! :heh:

Brown was mvp because wallace was drawing the double teams leaving brown open to run free, and wallace still put up better numbers.

This is simply not true, Brown never overtook wallace thats why as soon as wallace came back brown went back to #2. Brown works harder where is the proof of this i never heard of this? Last I heard wallace was working with shaw one of the top trainers for nfl players. Ben wants wallace out there and has even said that the offense needs him. Brown has been way over hyped as this incredible receiver, what has he really done? I have never seen wallace quit on a play or not work for the ball he caught 70 passes last year, was he wide open on every pass?

I agree you need both, but i do not agree with brown being more versatile, wallace had 70 catches last season and they were not all fly routes. Wallaces skill set however allows for the whole offense to open up, so even when hes not getting the ball hes helping the passing game. Having a guy over the middle like brown is nice but in order for him to be great you need a guy like wallace to stretch the D.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think steeldawg joined a Dolphins board under the moniker of "phindawg" soon after his mancrush left, only to leave and join a Vikes board under the moniker of "norsedawg" where he is at present. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
08-13-2015, 07:39 PM

:lol:

Also, if I remember correctly Bell was named the starter 17 seconds after being drafted without proving a thing.

polamalubeast
08-13-2015, 07:46 PM

I think steeldawg joined a Dolphins board under the moniker of "phindawg" soon after his mancrush left, only to leave and join a Vikes board under the moniker of "norsedawg" where he is at present. :chuckle:

True?

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 07:47 PM
True?

Just joking. :lol:

zulater
08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16114-Cage-Match-Brown-vs-Wallace

Steldawg's finest moment. :lol:

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 08:02 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16114-Cage-Match-Brown-vs-Wallace

Steldawg's finest moment. :lol:

Without opening it to refresh my memory - does this contain the post of his saying it's not a WR's job to jump to make a catch? :lol:

zulater
08-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Without opening it to refresh my memory - does this contain the post of his saying it's not a WR's job to jump to make a catch? :lol:

Sad to say no.

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Sad to say no.

Found it.

I didnt say it wasnt in his game to jump

Wallace is not going to out jump dbs for the ball that is not his game

For anyone debating Steeldawg, here is the type of nonsense you get to deal with. It's like talking to a brick wall.

:lol:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/15523-What-should-Steelers-offer-Wallace-in-a-long-term-deal?p=337005&viewfull=1#post337005

polamalubeast
08-13-2015, 08:26 PM
2012 is probably the worst season I've seen from the steelers

Not only because of the results on the field, but also because of the Wallace vs Brown debate all year long

fansince'76
08-13-2015, 08:32 PM
2012 is probably the worst season I've seen from the steelers

Not only because of the results on the field, but also because of the Wallace vs Brown debate all year long

That season went into the toilet the second Tamba Hali and Justin Houston landed on top of Roethlisberger in that Monday night game. He wasn't anywhere near 100% the rest of that season (and anyone who thought he was needs to put the crack pipe down), but he was still pressed into action because Roethlisberger at 50% was still a better option than Batch or Leftwich.

zulater
08-13-2015, 08:41 PM
That season went into the toilet the second Tamba Hali and Justin Houston landed on top of Roethlisberger in that Monday night game. He wasn't anywhere near 100% the rest of that season (and anyone who thought he was needs to put the crack pipe down), but he was still pressed into action because Roethlisberger at 50% was still a better option than Batch or Leftwich.

I'm of the opinion that a big part of the reason Ben got crushed that game was because Antonio was out that game with the high ankle sprain. That game was the first clue to me that AB was the straw that stirred the drink with our receiver core. Brown was Ben's go to guy already by that point. When things got tough and he needed a place to go there was AB always finding a soft spot in the defense of making a circus catch to keep the sticks moving. Ben had no open receivers that game and got frustrated and tried to force the issue and held the ball to long and got crushed.

I was amazed that year how so many people missed the obvious about Antonio and thought he was marginal or only got open because of Wallace. :doh:

Count Steeler
08-13-2015, 08:46 PM
I guess Wallace helped him with Brown's punt returns as well, cause you know, with all the speed on the sideline, the ST had to respect Brown.

polamalubeast
08-13-2015, 09:02 PM
This is possible that the bad end of the season in 2012 gave a bad momentun to the steelers to the start of the 2013 season

zulater
08-13-2015, 09:08 PM
This is possible that the bad end of the season in 2012 gave a bad momentun to the steelers to the start of the 2013 season

Pouncey's injury on the opening drive of the season combined with Heath Miller and LeVeon Bell missing the first few games of the season really set the season off to a terrible start.

hawaiiansteeler
08-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Agent meeting with Steelers in hopes of upgrading Antonio Brown’s deal

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 13, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpw qwytfjowu4yzhmmwq1mdyxyziwztkzmtq4zdzknzzi-e1430146941508.jpeg?w=247

Now that he’s helped T.Y. Hilton get paid, agent Drew Rosenhaus is continuing his road show in search of more wide receiver money.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Rosenhaus is going to Jacksonville tomorrow to meet with the Steelers about upgrading wideout Antonio Brown’s contract.

Brown has mostly played nice, insisting he wouldn’t hold out or make a scene, while it has been clear that he’s outperformed the six-year, $43 million deal the Steelers gave him in 2012. He didn’t turn up for voluntary offseason work, but he reported to training camp on time, and in a Rolls Royce.

He’s under contract and the Steelers through 2017, and they don’t typically rework deals with that much time left on them. But Brown has played at such a high level since then it’s easier to justify, and from his standpoint, it can’t hurt to ask.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/13/agent-meeting-with-steelers-in-hopes-of-upgrading-antonio-browns-deal/

Steeldude
08-14-2015, 03:04 AM
Just joking. :lol:

But it's so believable. Didn't he leave when Wallace left? His other crush was Mendenhall.

86WARD
08-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Agent meeting with Steelers in hopes of upgrading Antonio Brown’s deal

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 13, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpw qwytfjowu4yzhmmwq1mdyxyziwztkzmtq4zdzknzzi-e1430146941508.jpeg?w=247

Now that he’s helped T.Y. Hilton get paid, agent Drew Rosenhaus is continuing his road show in search of more wide receiver money.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Rosenhaus is going to Jacksonville tomorrow to meet with the Steelers about upgrading wideout Antonio Brown’s contract.

Brown has mostly played nice, insisting he wouldn’t hold out or make a scene, while it has been clear that he’s outperformed the six-year, $43 million deal the Steelers gave him in 2012. He didn’t turn up for voluntary offseason work, but he reported to training camp on time, and in a Rolls Royce.

He’s under contract and the Steelers through 2017, and they don’t typically rework deals with that much time left on them. But Brown has played at such a high level since then it’s easier to justify, and from his standpoint, it can’t hurt to ask.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/13/agent-meeting-with-steelers-in-hopes-of-upgrading-antonio-browns-deal/

Maybe they don't do anything this year but make a verbal commitment to do something next offseason? It could actually benefit the Steelers to do a restructure or something different to free up money to sign Bell, DeCastro and Beachum. It may not be a terrible idea.

TD's & Beer
08-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Colts do 5-year, $65M extension w/ WR Hilton (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7558/ty-hilton)

$39M guaranteed

Steelers and Antonio Brown in contract talks (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown)

The Steelers and the agent for Antonio Brown are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss a reworked contract.

Brown signed a six-year, $43 million contract prior to the 2012 season. He's clearly outperformed that money, racking up 305 catches for 3,984 yards with 26 touchdowns over the last three years. Although the Steelers have a longstanding policy of not reworking contracts that have more than one year left, it appears they're going to make an exception for Brown. Market value is roughly $14 million in average annual salary

Nadroj 20
08-14-2015, 07:15 AM
Colts do 5-year, $65M extension w/ WR Hilton (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7558/ty-hilton)

$39M guaranteed

Steelers and Antonio Brown in contract talks (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown)

The Steelers and the agent for Antonio Brown are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss a reworked contract.

Brown signed a six-year, $43 million contract prior to the 2012 season. He's clearly outperformed that money, racking up 305 catches for 3,984 yards with 26 touchdowns over the last three years. Although the Steelers have a longstanding policy of not reworking contracts that have more than one year left, it appears they're going to make an exception for Brown. Market value is roughly $14 million in average annual salary

Coming from Brown's side, I understand wanting to rework the contract to get more money per year. T.Y. Hilton got $39 million guaranteed, and Brown's entire contract was just $5 million more than that.

Yeah, there are three years left, and two years before we would typically rework a deal for someone. That's a long time from a football players standpoint though. That's two years of potentially getting significantly injured and seeing a contract with potentially so much guaranteed money disappear.

dislocatedday
08-14-2015, 07:51 AM
I would hope that Rosenhaus does not come into this meeting with some demand that the Steelers immediately are going to bump AB up to $14M+ per season. The Steelers do have the leverage with 3 years left on the current deal and they could just say 'no' to any request. However, I think there could be a nice meeting point in the middle. AB could could get more guaranteed upfront money now, an extended contract by 2 or 3 more years on the existing deal, and a bump in annual salary as well..........all without breaking the bank at $14M or more per year. If Rosenhaus balks at any such a deal, well, then it just means AB does not make any more money over the next 3 years that he is already scheduled to earn, and those are prime football years he will not get back.

I think doing something along the lines of the above so that AB gets say $11-12M per year over the next 5 years (that includes the average of all bonuses and annual salary over that time span) is fair.

By all accounts, AB is the hardest worker on the team, and is not someone who is going to slack off after getting money, so I'm not apprehensive about paying him more inline with his actual production (which is off the charts high).