PDA

View Full Version : Steelers believe poor field conditions led to Suisham's injury

stillers4me
08-12-2015, 05:59 AM
The Steelers have a new kicker, but remain angry over the circumstances that prompted them to sign Garrett Hartley to replace Shaun Suisham, injured Sunday night on the opening kickoff of the second half.

Many blame the 11-year-old FieldTurf at Benson Stadium in Canton, Ohio, for causing the injuries to Suisham’s left knee, a torn ACL and meniscus that likely will cause him to miss the 2015 season. They say the turf caused him to lose his footing while he ran down under his kickoff.

They also wonder why the Pro Football Hall of Fame waited until after their preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings to tear up the old artificial turf in order to install a new surface.

“I hated that turf,” said safety Robert Golden, who shared the special teams co-captain duties with Suisham in 2014.

“It was old, chewed up, very hard. I’m just happy most of our guys got off healthy. Now they’re redoing it? I don’t agree with that, that’s bad, putting us at risk like that on that turf.”.......

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/12/steele-1/stories/201508120086

Nadroj 20
08-12-2015, 07:32 AM
A few other guys seemed to slip a lot. I noticed Archer the most because he was trying to change direction so quickly.

I still tend to think making a tackle near the sideline during the Hall of Fame Game contributed to the ACL tear more than the field did.

TeeTee
08-12-2015, 01:18 PM
A few other guys seemed to slip a lot. I noticed Archer the most because he was trying to change direction so quickly.

I still tend to think making a tackle near the sideline during the Hall of Fame Game contributed to the ACL tear more than the field did.

Watch the video. That could have happened on any field. Sounds like sour grapes. It was moronic to have your kicker attempt a tackle in a preseason game. That is the problem here. Tomlin wasn't on top of the situation.

TD's & Beer
08-12-2015, 01:23 PM
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-10/wYg78QPE24-2.png

smokin3000gt
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Funny to see steelers talking about poor field conditions..

ALLD
08-12-2015, 02:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

TeeTee
08-12-2015, 02:42 PM

Seriously, the one year they placed new sod over old sod? Brilliant. Nice job.

Count Steeler
08-12-2015, 02:43 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Bad coaching decision. Adjust. Move on. Shut up.

fansince'76
08-12-2015, 02:46 PM
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-10/wYg78QPE24-2.png

Exactly.

So, Suisham should have made no effort to stop the guy and effectively let him run right by? I remember the giant shitstorm that ensued on SF when Reed did that (twice) back in 2009, which, funny enough, was also largely blamed on Tomlin.

It was shitty luck. Nothing more, nothing less. Moving on.

tube517
08-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Yep. We play on the shittiest field in the NFL. Blaming Sushi's injury on the field reeks of Harbaugh-ish-ness.

Moose
08-12-2015, 02:53 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Bad coaching decision. Adjust. Move on. Shut up.

EXACTLY ! Tired of hearing/reading about this crap already.

Count Steeler
08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Kind of silly to use your regular season guy and not even bring in a prospect. Suisham is getting on in years, so why not take a look at some prospect(s). It's a shame they let Waters go. He is punting, kicking field goals, and handling the kick offs for the Argos in the CFL. He was Special Teams player of the year last season.

fansince'76
08-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Kind of silly to use your regular season guy and not even bring in a prospect. Suisham is getting on in years, so why not take a look at some prospect(s). It's a shame they let Waters go. He is punting, kicking field goals, and handling the kick offs for the Argos in the CFL. He was Special Teams player of the year last season.

Gotta disagree. Kickers/punters routinely last 15+ seasons and unless the performance of the one you have isn't up to snuff (see: Brad Wing), you don't waste a roster spot on a second one just to kick the tires. Especially when you have a defense that is full of question marks.

Count Steeler
08-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Gotta disagree. Kickers routinely last 15+ seasons and unless the performance isn't up to snuff with the one you have (see: Brad Wing), you don't waste a roster spot on a second one.

Agree to disagree. I would always bring in a punter and a kicker to supplement the vets. Gotta keep the blade sharp. No competition leads to complacency. Besides, he rarely kicks through the end zone. May be by design, which leads to the discussion of finding another ST coach.

fansince'76
08-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Agree to disagree. I would always bring in a punter and a kicker to supplement the vets. Gotta keep the blade sharp. No competition leads to complacency. Besides, he rarely kicks through the end zone. May be by design, which leads to the discussion of finding another ST coach.

Fair enough. However, I do see that neither the Ravens (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster.html) or the Patriots (http://www.patriots.com/team/roster) are carrying more than one PK on their current 90-man rosters. Just saying.

And as far as complacency is concerned, if I'm a PK or a punter at the NFL level I know very well in the back of my mind that if push comes to shove, I am ultimately one of the more expendable guys on the roster and I will be unceremoniously replaced toot sweet if I don't deliver on a consistent basis. I also know I won't get multiple seasons to "shake it off" if I get into a funk like a high-round draft pick at QB or another skill position would. As a P/PK, the time I would be allowed to get it back together could probably be measured more in weeks before the team started looking elsewhere.

Nadroj 20
08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Exactly.

So, Suisham should have made no effort to stop the guy and effectively let him run right by? I remember the giant shitstorm that ensued on SF when Reed did that (twice) back in 2009, which, funny enough, was also largely blamed on Tomlin.

It was shitty luck. Nothing more, nothing less. Moving on.

I remember that. I was on the side of saying Reed should have made more of an effort because he is a football player too. If you are one of the eleven men on the field, then you better at least try to make a play. But, for a meaningless preseason game, I'm o.k. with not trying to.

BUT. Hindsight is 20-20.

fansince'76
08-12-2015, 03:44 PM
I remember that. I was on the side of saying Reed should have made more of an effort because he is a football player too. If you are one of the eleven men on the field, then you better at least try to make a play. But, for a meaningless preseason game, I'm o.k. with not trying to.

BUT. Hindsight is 20-20.

While I agree about the preseason game bit, it's also hard to tell a professional football player that has probably been playing the game for 20+ years or so to go against his instincts (especially in a split second situation) and essentially not play football.

Like I said, just more shitty injury luck with our special teamers. We lost Greg Warren as our long snapper for a season when he tore his ACL while snapping in PRACTICE, fer chrissakes. As Steelers fans, we should be used to this by now.

polamalubeast
08-12-2015, 03:58 PM
I not blame Jeff Reed on that

If your kicker is your last hope to make a tackle, you're in big trouble....

fansince'76
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
I not blame Jeff Reed on that

If your kicker is your last hope to make a tackle, you're in big trouble....

Yeah, I didn't blame Reed either at the time (I distinctly remember blaming the other 10 guys on the field), but a TON of people did blame Reed (and Tomlin for coaching "soft"). :rolleyes:

86WARD
08-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Watch the video. That could have happened on any field. Sounds like sour grapes. It was moronic to have your kicker attempt a tackle in a preseason game. That is the problem here. Tomlin wasn't on top of the situation.

I like to bash Tomlin as much as the next guy, but you can't put the blame on this injury on him...