PDA

View Full Version : Batch fighting for spot on Steelers' 53-man roster

LLT
09-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Batch fighting for spot on Steelers' 53-man roster
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger will be behind center once his suspension is over — the Steelers know that much. They also know that either Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon will fill in for him during the interim.

But who hasn't really figured into the quarterback derby just might be the guy who is the most qualified - Charlie Batch.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697356.html

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 05:17 AM
I know most will disagree,and thats ok.I think Batch should be given the chance to start.In my book he has earned it.See what an old man can bring.You may be surprised.He is my starter,to open the season.Nobody,but nobody knows the playbook better than Batch. He is more of a vet than Leftwich.He may be older,but has been on the bench for many years.When called upon,he has made us winners more times than losers. Go Charlie!

Carolina Steelers
09-01-2010, 05:41 AM
I kinda agree its like he was never even considered, once Ben got suspended it was all about Lefty and if Dixon could over take him. They could at least let Batch run with 2nd team instead of just mop up duty

steelpride12
09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
It's just a crap situation for Batch. Most of us Steeler fans love him and we all know he can or could have gone out there and did a damn good job as a back up, but I mean he is not a young gun anymore and it seems any hit he takes he get's injured and that is a liability the Steelers don't need right now.

SteelerSal
09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I prefer Batch over Lefty and Dixon, myself.

BlastFurnace
09-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I'd rather keep Batch and Leftwich over Dixon. It wouldn't bother me at all if they traded Dixon.

stlrtruck
09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Be prepared for a QB Carousel during the first 4 weeks of the season. What I saw of Batch and Lefty show that they can move either group of players down the field. While I still think Dixon could lead this team during that 4 week period, he had a bad performance on the national level and that all but ruined his chance to start in WK 1.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
For all we know,Leftwich could have been brought in to back up Batch in case of an injury.It's just the lack of playing time for Batch that leads me to believe there is more going on behind the scenes,than meets the eye here. He has been a solid back-up for us when he had his rare chances to start,he made the most of them.I can only remember 1 game he lost for us . I can't remember if he even started that one. He put his time in,and i say if he does not get a fair shot to lead this team after all the time and effort he has put in,it would be a crime.Who says he will get "hurt",as the opinions of most seem to be? He should be given a chance to contribute after all the faithfull service he has given to this team.If God forbids he gets injured,then in comes Leftwich,or Dixon. Who's to say they will not be subjected to injury also? Charlie all the way for me !!!!!!!

O'Malley
09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Batch is not afraid to stand in the pocket and take a hit. He IMO is a viable solution to the QB delima. He looked as good as Lefty and Dix against the Broncos. I think the coaching staff has been holding out on a lot of things in the preseason this year. Short yardage plays, an our overall running game. I think we will see a strong running game come the regular season and it won't matter who is at the helm. We are more likely to see a three headed monster at RB then at QB IMO. Dick IMO has not been dialing up plays that will be used in the regular season on defense either. IMO we should be fine for the games Ben will miss. I see a violent style of football on offense and on defense the whole year, this team is an angry bunch with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Batch is not afraid to stand in the pocket and take a hit. He IMO is a viable solution to the QB delima. He looked as good as Lefty and Dix against the Broncos. I think the coaching staff has been holding out on a lot of things in the preseason this year. Short yardage plays, an our overall running game. I think we will see a strong running game come the regular season and it won't matter who is at the helm. We are more likely to see a three headed monster at RB then at QB IMO. Dick IMO has not been dialing up plays that will be used in the regular season on defense either. IMO we should be fine for the games Ben will miss. I see a violent style of football on offense and on defense the whole year, this team is an angry bunch with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove.

Yeah man!! we can unleash hell in September,instead of waiting until December!!!!

O'Malley
09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah man!! we can unleash hell is September,instead of waiting until December!!!!

LOL! Maybe not "unleash hell" but unleash the playbook on both sides of the ball.

Steeldude
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I'd rather keep Batch and Leftwich over Dixon. It wouldn't bother me at all if they traded Dixon.

i agree 100%. i hope they trade him. there are a lot of gullible teams that are turned on by QBs who can run, but not throw.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think that Dixon can not throw.or anything like that.He just ain't got it yet. I think it was HTG that mentioned something about his getting antsy or something like that. Even when there is no real pressure,he wants to scramble out of the pocket. If that is by design,then that would be a different matter. I just think he needs at least 2 more years.

ALLD
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Batch cannot take a hit anymore. One sack and his career is over with an exclamation point. At least let him go out with his knees and a clipboard.

Steeltreal
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Batch will end up in Arizona with the rest of the Steeler rejects.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Well,we'll see.I alone think he should open the season.Sooner have him run the offense that he knows better than Leftwich , or Dixon. Again,thats just me. I did hear the crap of him going to Arizona though.It's just that,CRAP!

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Let's try to not get too excited about Batch playing against the Broncos 3rd & 4th stringers.