PDA

View Full Version : Concerns over Pittsburgh Steelers defense?

polamalubeast
08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-camps/0ap3000000508346/Concerns-over-Steelers-defense

TeeTee
08-10-2015, 04:35 PM
A preseason game, 1 week earlier than everyone else. i'm not gonna panic, but they were awful at tackling. Very sloppy, not most of those guys won't be on the field when the real bullets are flying. Moats got punked and he may start. But most of the guys flailing away at air won't be playing.

Steeldude
08-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Solid, consistent tackling has been a problem for the Steelers for quite awhile.

TeeTee
08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Solid, consistent tackling has been a problem for the Steelers for quite awhile.

I don't know why it can't be fixed. I know there is less contact in practice, but does explain it all? I say start giving out fines or laps or something to anyone missing tackles that SHOULD be made.

BigNastyDefense
08-10-2015, 06:43 PM
How many actual starters played? Sounds like not many, and the fee that did were not in there very long.

I'll worry if this is still a problem when they have the majority of starters playing. A lot of the guys probably won't see the field once the season starts, many because they aren't even on the team.

vasteeler
08-10-2015, 06:53 PM
concerns following the hall of fame game?!?

none outside of our kicker

ALLD
08-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Timmons laid a hit on somebody and knocked them into next week.

Born2Steel
08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Poor tackling and being out of position has been a huge problem lately. Hopefully that's what Butler was hired to fix. 4 more preseason games to watch.

CaSteel
08-10-2015, 08:10 PM
It should be very,very apparent by now that the inability to tackle is Coaching. Different players,new season,same terrible execution. The "it's Preseason" argument cannot be used, the Vikings had NO trouble finishing tackles.

silver & black
08-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Wow.... worrying over a meaningless pre-season game? And you call yourselves the most knowledgeable fans in football? :wink02:

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2015, 09:06 PM
concerns following the hall of fame game?!?

none outside of our kicker

and 3rd strings QB and TE...

Steel Trap
08-10-2015, 09:27 PM
pre-season man. i'll reserve judgement for the 3rd game. that last night was hardly even a dry run.

right now i just want to get through these last four games with no injuries and stay HEALTHY! that is my #1 concern

tube517
08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Fire Butler

LLT
08-11-2015, 11:52 AM
A preseason game, 1 week earlier than everyone else. i'm not gonna panic, but they were awful at tackling. Very sloppy, not most of those guys won't be on the field when the real bullets are flying. Moats got punked and he may start. But most of the guys flailing away at air won't be playing.

Shazier actually missed more tackles than Moats and they both recovered. Both were trying to get used to "game speed"...nothing more than that.

hawaiiansteeler
08-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Fire Butler

the one who needs to be fired is Danny Smith, the special teams coach...

:mob:

tube517
08-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Cut Garrick Utley!

TeeTee
08-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Wow.... worrying over a meaningless pre-season game? And you call yourselves the most knowledgeable fans in football? :wink02:

Who called themselves that? We are more knowledgeable than fans who wear so many rubber masks that they can't even view the game, I will give you that.

- - - Updated - - -

pre-season man. i'll reserve judgement for the 3rd game. that last night was hardly even a dry run.

right now i just want to get through these last four games with no injuries and stay HEALTHY! that is my #1 concern
:crossed:

fansince'76
08-11-2015, 08:21 PM

In all seriousness, I was wondering if there was a specific reason that Smith still has a job with the Steelers? After all, the STs have never really seemed to show improvement since he's been there, particularly when it comes to lane discipline. And now yet another ST breakdown has cost us our PK for the season. So whatever Smith's doing just doesn't seem to be working. And I think Munchak has shown how much difference a really good assistant coach will make in an area of weakness.

86WARD
08-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Who called themselves that? We are more knowledgeable than fans who wear so many rubber masks that they can't even view the game, I will give you that.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't get it do you?

SteelerFanInStl
08-12-2015, 07:09 AM
In all seriousness, I was wondering if there was a specific reason that Smith still has a job with the Steelers? After all, the STs have never really seemed to show improvement since he's been there, particularly when it comes to lane discipline. And now yet another ST breakdown has cost us our PK for the season. So whatever Smith's doing just doesn't seem to be working. And I think Munchak has shown how much difference a really good assistant coach will make in an area of weakness.
I've been wondering that for years. It's as if Tomlin doesn't know how to evaluate special teams play.

teegre
08-12-2015, 07:14 AM
I've been wondering that for years. It's as if Tomlin doesn't know how to evaluate special teams play.

It was a problem under Cowher, too. And, it's not for a lack of trying. I remember him targeting Devin Hester, and then overreacting/reaching for Willie Reid (once Hester was gone).

Crap... if only Chicago hadn't taken Hester 7 picks before the Steelers drafted.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's been around for nearly fifteen years.

polamalubeast
08-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Tomlin has fired his ST coach after a preseason game in 2012.The last time that the ST was very good, it was in 2005

- - - Updated - - -

It was a problem under Cowher, too. And, it's not for a lack of trying. I remember him targeting Devin Hester, and then overreacting/reaching for Willie Reid (once Hester was gone).

Crap... if only Chicago hadn't traded up for Hester.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's been around for nearly fifteen years.

It's true

It costed a spot to the Super Bowl in 2001.

The ST was bad all year and against the patriots,the ST have given 2 TD in a 24-17 defeat

86WARD
08-12-2015, 11:08 AM

I agree 100% and have been on record saying the same about Smith. I LeBeau went, Smith should've gone before...

silver & black
08-14-2015, 04:14 PM

- - - Updated - - -

:nervous:..................:jolly: