PDA

View Full Version : What you liked, what you didn't about tonight's game?

Craic
08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Just like the title says . . .

tube517
08-09-2015, 10:05 PM

Didn't Like: Suisham getting hurt, Jesse James Bullock, Landry Jones playing all game (at least put in Boyd for the 4th quarter).

Craic
08-09-2015, 10:05 PM
I'll start off with a couple . . .

I was mildly surprised by Dri Archer. He got more shaking happening and made a couple of guys miss. Phillips drew a lot of defensive penalties and made a couple good catches. Wonder what's up with him? I liked what I saw from Shazeer at times as well.

Didn't like: Jesse James. I'll give him a pass this game for nerves, but he needs to hold on to the ball better. Landry has improved quite a bit, but not enough to be considered a regular season backup QB.

ALLD
08-09-2015, 10:14 PM
The second game will say a lot more. Jones looks like a scrub despite the drops. He was also off time and throwing to the wrong shoulder to lots of the WRs. I don't know what James looks like in practice, but if he plays again and drops the ball he should be cut on the spot. Villanueva looks to make the roster.

Nadroj 20
08-09-2015, 10:14 PM
I did not like Jesse James looking like he's never caught a football before. I do think he is better than that so we shall see on him.

I also didn't like the fact Jones played the entire game. He just doesn't have it. Maybe the fact nobody else played means the other guys aren't capable in the coaches minds at all. Which is bad news, because that could mean the team is sold on Jones being QB3.

I like Archer as well at times. Seems like he's at least trying to go north and south. I thought Boykin looked good in his first action as a Steeler.

Finally, I liked Villaneuva. He looked pretty good from what I could tell.

stillers4me
08-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Which game are you referring to? The Steelers ...or the Pirates? Because the Pirates scored more points than the Steelers...and it ain't over yet!

st33lersguy
08-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Like: Shazier impressed after a couple bad plays to start, the defense standing firm on the 4th and 1

Don't like: Landry playing the whole game, Limas Sweed playing tight end, Suisham injury, the sequence at the end of the first half

Psycho Ward 86
08-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Villanueva looking pretty damn goo

fansince'76
08-09-2015, 10:43 PM
I was mildly surprised by Dri Archer. He got more shaking happening and made a couple of guys miss.

Before tripping over his own feet...

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Steelers kicker Suisham has “potentially significant” knee injury

Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2015,

The primary goal of preseason action isn’t to win games but to not lose players. In that regard, the Steelers sustained what could be serious blow during Sunday night’s 14-3 loss to the Vikings.

Kicker Shaun Suisham suffered a knee injury, reportedly on the third-quarter kickoff. After the game, coach Mike Tomlin dubbed the injury “potentially significant,” via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Suisham, the only kicker on the roster, tackled Marcus Sherels on the play, apparently suffering the injury while going to the ground.

So the Steelers will need to quickly find another kicker or two, and the quality of the kicker they find could impact whether they go for one from the 15 or opt to go for two from much closer to the end zone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/09/steelers-kicker-suisham-has-potentially-significant-knee-injury/

Psycho Ward 86
08-09-2015, 11:24 PM
i know this is a "hindsight is 20/20" thing but for future preseason games i dont even want kickers/punters trying to make tackles. In all honesty, if a play gets that far in a real game, your special teams has failed. Good test for the other 10 guys to make the play that they SHOULD be making

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Archer is Digest Player of the Week

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Dri Archer made plays as a runner, receiver, and a returner in the Steelers' 14-3 loss to the Vikings.

His numbers weren’t spectacular, but they were about the best anyone on the Steelers offense could muster, and throughout the game Dri Archerfinally looked like he belonged in the NFL.

Archer rushed for 24 yards on four carries, he caught six passes for 33 yards, and his only kickoff return went for 34 yards. Archer was not tentative with the ball in his hands, as he so often seemed to be as a rookie in 2014, and the way he was used in the preseason opening 14-3 loss to the Minnesota Vikings figures to be the way he’ll be used the rest of this season.

Archer is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Shakim Phillips, who caught two passes for 43 yards, including a one-handed grab while on a dead run deep down the seam for a 35-yard gain; Ryan Shazier, who had five tackles and almost came up with a dividing interception of an underthrown ball in a game in which his speed was evident against both the run and the pass; Kevin Fogg, who had one tackle on defense and another tackle on special teams in which he saved a touchdown on a 62-yard punt return by Stefon Diggs plus an interception for the Steelers’ only takeaway of the game; Ethan Hemer, who had the team’s only sack; and Stephon Tuitt, who had two tackles in somewhat limited playing time.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Archer-is-Digest-Player-of-the-Week/e947dc98-b4d5-49bf-893e-2f477a65d08e

fansince'76
08-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Guess they had to give it to somebody. What was also memorable for me was the play immediately following the long reception by Phillips where Archer got smashed behind the LOS for a 2-yard loss and muffing a punt.

CaSteel
08-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Like:Archer looked very comfortable on the field
Didnt like: Everyone is talking about Jesse James poor play, how about Dupree? Talk about a guy looking like it was his first time putting on a football helmet. It is the first preseason game but our 1st round draft pick was getting manhandled by backup linemen every single snap.

Edman
08-09-2015, 11:57 PM
What I liked: The Defense played pretty good despite fighting uphill all game.

What I didn't like: Everything else.

TD's & Beer
08-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Horrible game

CANTON, Ohio -- Losing their kicker -- a good one -- in the first preseason game is not the start the Pittsburgh Steelers wanted.

Shaun Suisham left Sunday's Hall of Fame Game with a left knee injury, one coach Mike Tomlin called "potentially significant"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13407867/pittsburgh-steelers-kicker-shaun-suisham-exits-hall-fame-game-left-knee-injury

Steeldude
08-10-2015, 05:11 AM
Not much.

Shazier looked better after he settled down.

The punting average was good.

No injuries to the O-line.

No pass rush. OLBs seemed to be non-existent. At least from the parts I watched.

The O-line didn't open any holes.

Too many blunders.

Oh well, as long as it doesn't look this way in the regular season.

Moose
08-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Can't say there is much I liked about the game. A typical scrub game. Most player's didn't know what the hell to do, didn't see any play's/routes that looked designed of some sort, receiver's can't hold onto the ball ( Jesse James), a QB not knowing where to throw or when to throw. And now we have to go through the crap of digging up a kicker. Thank God there's alot of practice left....this is why there's pre-season games !

stillers4me
08-10-2015, 06:36 AM
I'm just sick about Suisham.

Steelman
08-10-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm just sick about Suisham.

This.

All the rest was typical preseason brand of atrocious football, but I did like what Archer did for the most part. Thought Villanueva played very well and certainly looked more comfortable than Dupree on the other side out there. Shazier, after that awful angle on that first missed tackle, looked very good. He and Timmons are going to be special this year. Boykin also looked comfortable as I noted in the game thread. He will turn out be a great pickup. Landry Jones had his best game but he's still Landry Jones. The telling stat to me was his 4.2 yard average pass...that's all that needs to be said there. Having Jesse James endure one of the worst cases of rookie jitters probably didn't help either.

Couple fringe guys played well: Kevin Fogg, like some of things he did. Hemer had a sack, not athletic but seems to have a nose for the football. I think the team is very high on Chickfila, and he certainly looked more comfortable than Dupree to my eye.

Craic
08-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Anyone catch Blake last night? He got ran over more than once. The first time, however, he was being held and still managed to get his body in the way of the runner. I don't remember the second time, except that he should have made a tackle. I'm so-so with him, impressed that he continued to be in the middle of plays and brought down runners, but unimpressed he did it by getting trucked and allowing an extra few yards pretty much every time I noticed him.

86WARD
08-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Boykin, Archer, Jones - Boykin made a few nice plays, Archer has shown major improvement on his returns and his receiving game and Jones wasn't as terrible as I thought he would be. By no means was he great or even good, but I feel like he didn't get a lot of support from the young WRs...a lot of dropped balls and missed routes. Jones missed some reads and some easier throws, but J thought he was better than the past. Having said that, I still don't want to see him on the roster at this point.

DISLIKES:
Suisham injury, WRs, Jesse James. I was majorly disappointed in the receivers and TE Jesse James. They were horrific.

Good news is it was the Hall of Fame Game...

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2015, 02:17 PM
The punting average was good.

not the net punting average...

polamalubeast
08-10-2015, 02:18 PM
not the net punting average...

Who is the most important thing....

TeeTee
08-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Not: Atrocious tackling. Dupree is horrid. Kicker blowing ACL by attempting to make a tackle in a preseason game. Jones improved but still sucks. Missed some wide open targets. He just sucks. Jesse James blows.

Count Steeler
08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
I think it is a joke that they play a game like that on the HOF weekend. Talk about totally meaningless. I am thinking they should incorporate the Pro Bowl with the HOF inductions. I know, still meaningless, but maybe within the shadows of the HOF, the Pro Bowlers will at least put out a semblance of an effort.

TeeTee
08-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I think it is a joke that they play a game like that on the HOF weekend. Talk about totally meaningless. I am thinking they should incorporate the Pro Bowl with the HOF inductions. I know, still meaningless, but maybe within the shadows of the HOF, the Pro Bowlers will at least put out a semblance of an effort.

Can you imagine how soft they'd play with the season approaching, not just having ended? Flag football games would be more physical. This game is just one week earlier than regular preseason games. You should never have your starting kicker any where near the tackling action. Someone is taking heat for that today. No way does a preseason tackle from a kicker make sense in a meaningless game.

Count Steeler
08-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Can you imagine how soft they'd play with the season approaching, not just having ended? Flag football games would be more physical. This game is just one week earlier than regular preseason games. You should never have your starting kicker any where near the tackling action. Someone is taking heat for that today. No way does a preseason tackle from a kicker make sense in a meaningless game.

I would think that the Induction ceremony would have to change dates as well. Doesn't really matter when the ceremony is held. Maybe make it part of SB week 1.

I'm not fully sold on this idea myself, just thinking out loud.

86WARD
08-10-2015, 04:45 PM
I would think that the Induction ceremony would have to change dates as well. Doesn't really matter when the ceremony is held. Maybe make it part of SB week 1.

It takes money out of the NfLs pocket if they "combined" the events...therefore, it's a terrible idea...

;)

TeeTee
08-10-2015, 05:17 PM

You know, it's not like the Pro Bowl is so all that that you'd hurt it by combining it with HOF, however, no one would want it in Canton in January. I say, keep it in some where warm (HI is considered a perk to the players who made it and I am fine with that; it gives it its own vibe and really seems like a vacation for these guys, as it should). You want to fix the game more? Make the difference for winning and losing a much bigger deal. Right now, the winner gets 53k and the loser 26k. I don't know that a difference of $27k is enough. The NFL is loaded, why not up the winner's share to at least $150k? And make it tax free, with the league giving it away as a gift. Matter of fact, don't make the loser's share tax free. Better yet, give it away in cash. If the teams know a suitcase of 150 k cash is theirs, tax free, and the loser is paid only 27k, later and it gets taxed....for a relatively little amount of $, that would make the players care far more. It's still not a lot of money to most of the PB players, but something tells me those parameters would make a difference. Don King used to pay Ali in a suitcase of cash, and even though Ali was getting ripped off, that physical cash made him feel like he was doing well. I still don't think it would be as physical as real NFL games, but it would be better than the patty cakes they've had lately. Last year was a little better, the year before was a total joke. Linemen weren't even making contact with each other that Game.

- - - Updated - - -

It takes money out of the NfLs pocket if they "combined" the events...therefore, it's a terrible idea...

;)

At some point, the NFL is going to have to do the right thing on some issues, even if they lose a little $. Typical rich guys: it's just never enough. Look at how cheap they were with giving x players good healthcare. They were giving them almost nothing, and these guys gave their health up to play for these owners. You can NEVER count on owners to do the right thing if it costs them $. You have to force them, or it won't happen.

Born2Steel
08-10-2015, 07:21 PM
One thing I did like was watching Trae Waynes getting punked by our rookie WRs. There were some pretty great effort catches made as well by those guys.

Disliked watching Landry Jones prove he's not worth a roster spot.

ALLD
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
WE have the best WRs in the NFL and a long list at that. You would think some would be trade bait.

Born2Steel
08-10-2015, 07:46 PM
I think the reason they are not trade bait is because we can't keep them all. Some will have to be cut or put on PS. Then they just get stolen for free.