PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis No. 1 leader in Steelers history

stillers4me
08-09-2015, 10:27 AM
The Pro Football Hall of Fame made it official Saturday night, welcoming Jerome Bettis through its hallowed doors with open arms. But the ceremony wasn’t necessary to validate Bettis’ greatness. He goes down as the Steelers’ best leader and second-most popular player.

Just one man’s opinion, of course.

People of a certain age will argue Joe Greene was the best leader in Steelers history. That is a legitimate argument. Greene stood above teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s and sent eight other players to the Hall of Fame. He is widely regarded as the franchise’s best player.

There have been many good Steelers leaders since Greene. Joey Porter was a terrific emotional leader. He knew how to get his teammates ready for a game. James Farrior was as solid as they come and ran the Steelers locker room after Bettis and Porter left. Mike Tomlin was lucky to have him in his early seasons. Ben Roethlisberger keeps getting better as a leader. Cam Heyward has a chance to become a great one.

But Bettis is tops..........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/08/09/Ron-Cook-12/stories/201508090141

Count Steeler
08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Let's not get carried away. Joe Green turned this franchise around. From a defensive position.

Love Bettis, but no.

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Let's not get carried away. Joe Green turned this franchise around. From a defensive position.

Love Bettis, but no.

I agree, Joe Greene is #1 and it's not even close...

86WARD
08-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Agree. Joe Greene is tops.

ALLD
08-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Joe Greene is one of the best players in the NFL, ever. He should have his own wing at the HoF.

Steeldude
08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Lambert

Steelervinny
08-10-2015, 05:21 PM
In these instances I refer to Dan Rooney's book. He makes it very clear that Joe Greene turned the franchise into what it is today. Without him, it's possible that we never would have won a Super Bowl in that era. Don't get me wrong, The Bus is my favorite player of all time. But Joe Greene's impact on the Steelers is immeasurable, and will never be contested.

tube517
08-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Mean Joe was the unquestioned leader of the 70s Steelers and the greatest Steeler leader of all time. Period.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2