PDA

View Full Version : Bettis Says Colleges Using Spread Offenses Are Killing The “Feature Back” Role

polamalubeast
08-08-2015, 11:44 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/bettis-says-colleges-using-spread-offenses-are-killing-the-feature-back-role/

86WARD
08-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Same goes for the NFL...not to mention the RBBC...

fansince'76
08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
It's killing college QB prospects when they get to the next level and can't make the jump to running a pro offense as well. Nobody runs that crap in the NFL.

TeeTee
08-08-2015, 04:48 PM
"Killing" the feature back? Oh, I don't know, I believe the Steelers sure have a feature back if I have ever seen one. Murray for Dallas was the classic example of a feature back. AD will be in MN again. Shady will be in Buffalo, for sure. Lynch, Lacy, Forsset - all feature backs. Teams like Philly with Wicky wacky Chip Kelly, no, but they are more the exception than rule.

86WARD
08-08-2015, 05:05 PM
They aren't nearly as common as they used to be. He didn't say they were all dead...but they aren't close what they were...and Murray may not be a feature back if they give Mathews the carries Chipper says he will get...

TeeTee
08-08-2015, 05:23 PM
They aren't nearly as common as they used to be. He didn't say they were all dead...but they aren't close what they were...and Murray may not be a feature back if they give Mathews the carries Chipper says he will get...

That's why I wrote that Murray _was_ a feature back last year. Chip won't use him like a feature back, because that would take away from Chip getting the credit for "being a genius." A feature back is used less, I would agree with that. Just look at drafts from even just 10 years ago to now. Certainly if you look further back than that, running backs were drafted much high, more often. Just look back at 1995: 5 backs went in the first round. Last year zero backs were taken in the 1st round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=1995

But as backs like Bell and Lacy tear it up, backs will get a higher priority again. If held the 2014 draft again, would Bell still last into the 2nd round? No way. If Gordon and Gurley end up rocking it, we will see teams going RB sooner.

Mojouw
08-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I think Bettis is referring to back when this was the playbook:

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/uploads/3/5/3/8/3538178/5606385.jpg?353

In all seriousness, who are the backs who are getting 30+ carries a game? Who are the backs that go north of 225 lbs? There are a few, but not what it used to be.

Although the pendulum may be starting to swing back. I think teams are starting to realize that defenses have adapted and switched the schemes and types of players they are putting out there. Look at the size of the modern "sideline to sideline" LB. Built to destroy passing games. Now go look at the size of Parcell's LB units back in the day. They were all the size of Levon Kirkland! So now you have these nimble, lighter, faster defensive fronts and DBs that don't like to hit.

Seems ripe for a team to just decide "Screw it". Load up on beef up front, scrap all this zone blocking, cutback lane stuff, and just drive block these light SOBs right off the field. I don't know if it will really work, but I think we are a year or so away from someone trying it.

TeeTee
08-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I think Bettis is referring to back when this was the playbook:

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/uploads/3/5/3/8/3538178/5606385.jpg?353

In all seriousness, who are the backs who are getting 30+ carries a game? Who are the backs that go north of 225 lbs? There are a few, but not what it used to be.

Although the pendulum may be starting to swing back. I think teams are starting to realize that defenses have adapted and switched the schemes and types of players they are putting out there. Look at the size of the modern "sideline to sideline" LB. Built to destroy passing games. Now go look at the size of Parcell's LB units back in the day. They were all the size of Levon Kirkland! So now you have these nimble, lighter, faster defensive fronts and DBs that don't like to hit.

Seems ripe for a team to just decide "Screw it". Load up on beef up front, scrap all this zone blocking, cutback lane stuff, and just drive block these light SOBs right off the field. I don't know if it will really work, but I think we are a year or so away from someone trying it.

Even pass happy GB is mixing in some power rushing now. It still works. If you can scrap together a productive rushing attack, Ds have to adjust and then you will have guys deep without help. I believe that is one reason our O was so tough last season. It's still a winning formula. Safeties hang back, run it. Safeties move up, throw. It's how most of the great team beat you. 70's Steelers and Cowboys. 9er SB teams still rushed Craig and even Rathman, Dallas with Emmitt. Bills with Thurman. The Bronco teams with Terrell Davis. Even the Pats will unleash the rush on you even though they have the best QB in NFL history. It still makes sense to keep the D guessing.

Mojouw
08-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Even pass happy GB is mixing in some power rushing now. It still works. If you can scrap together a productive rushing attack, Ds have to adjust and then you will have guys deep without help. I believe that is one reason our O was so tough last season. It's still a winning formula. Safeties hang back, run it. Safeties move up, throw. It's how most of the great team beat you. 70's Steelers and Cowboys. 9er SB teams still rushed Craig and even Rathman, Dallas with Emmitt. Bills with Thurman. The Bronco teams with Terrell Davis. Even the Pats will unleash the rush on you even though they have the best QB in NFL history. It still makes sense to keep the D guessing.

No doubt. I don't think anyone would disagree with a word of that. But the days of the league having multiple guys like Thurman, Emmitt, Davis, etc that play ALL of the offensive snaps (the 3 down back) and the entire identity and offensive philosophy of the team is built around "get our RB 30+ touches a game". I mean that was how the whole thing with "run to win" become so entrenched (wrongly, but that is another thread!). I figure Bettis is pining for the days when the Defense would line up with 8 or 9 in the box and teams would run it up the middle anyway.

On top of that, outside of like, what 5 or 6 guys in the league (Forte, McCoy, Bell, Lynch, maybe Murray, maybe Lynch) what team doesn't have a back for each specific role? Look at the Saints, they have typically had a power back, a catching back, and a fast back. Even the Packers take Lacy off the field in a decent amount of obvious passing situations. The Patriots deploy a whole toolbox full of RBs.

Guys like Bettis, Smith, Payton, Davis, etc didn't come off the field unless they were just out of gas. Outside of fairly extreme 3rd and long situations.