PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh defense playing 'Steeler football' under new DC

hawaiiansteeler
08-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Pittsburgh defense playing 'Steeler football' under new coordinator

Mike Garafolo
FOX Sports
AUG 5, 2015

http://a1.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/nfl/images/2015/06/25/062515-NFL-Steelers-Minicamp-PI-CH.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

New Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler wants his unit to rely as much on force as scheme.

LATROBE, Pa. -- It was a gorgeous morning here in the Laurel Valley on Wednesday, as the sun shone on the peaceful campus of St. Vincent's College.

Well, peaceful until the first minute of team drills of the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp practice, when linebackers Arthur Moats and Lawrence Timmons converged on rookie running back Cameron Stingily and separated him from the ball with a loud crack of their pads.

The players whooped from the sideline while the man in the straw hat and sunglasses watched from behind the offense. His expression didn't change much, but it was evident from the tone of his Alabama drawl he was pleased with what he saw.

"Helluva play," Keith Butler said flatly.

Butler is in his first few months as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, though if you talk to his players and assistant coaches, they'll tell you it's a role he's been playing in part for quite some time. The difference is now he's no longer doing it in concert with the legendary Dick LeBeau, who left after last season before joining the Tennessee Titans.

Though LeBeau technically resigned, it's clear the team wanted to move on. This is a franchise that's not used to having a sieve for a defense, and last season the Steelers ranked 18th in the NFL in yards and points allowed. That's a mediocre showing that would be an improvement for some teams but was the lowest ranking in either category for the Steelers since 1991.

The whispers from offensive coaches around the league were LeBeau, once known for the unpredictability of his zone blitzes, had become too predictable with his schemes and situational play calling. And worse, his defense as a whole had become too soft. That's not good enough in the Steel City.

It's now Butler's show, and the 59-year-old longtime assistant is intent on returning this defense to its dominant form.

Even if the rules make it harder to do that these days.

"Nah, we're going to be physical. We're going to come after people," said outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, who has a unique perspective on Butler because he played for him and now coaches alongside him...

to read rest of article:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-defense-new-coordinator-kevin-butler-training-camp-080515

Count Steeler
08-07-2015, 04:50 AM
0 games played, 0 plays defended. Talk is nice, actions speak louder.

I am hopeful, but let's see it on the field, during real games.

86WARD
08-07-2015, 05:24 AM

This. This. This. This should be posted in every preseason thread...

Mojouw
08-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Article does raise an interesting point. Lebeau had gotten waaaaaayyyy less exotic over the last 3-5 years. Not to place the blame at Lebeau's feet (I think it was a talent/execution problem - but that is another thread!), but when was the last time you saw the Steelers defense line up and your response was "What the hell is this formation?" Or saw them rush someone from a spot where no one knew where they were coming from? I feel like we used to get to see that a lot and then it dropped off.

Interesting to see what happens in Tennessee.

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2015, 03:25 PM
im concerned about so many of the veteran players like Heyward and Harrison saying the defense is basically the same.

only tweaks we've heard about so far is sprinkling in the cover-2. thats not encouraging to me schematically speaking. which is a shame because personnel wise im really excited about what the players are going to do

tube517
08-07-2015, 03:41 PM
First series Sunday night should spark "Fire Butler" threads and chants. :chuckle:

TeeTee
08-07-2015, 06:40 PM

Wait, you ripped me for basically saying the same thing. Weird.

Mojouw
08-08-2015, 11:43 AM
im concerned about so many of the veteran players like Heyward and Harrison saying the defense is basically the same.

only tweaks we've heard about so far is sprinkling in the cover-2. thats not encouraging to me schematically speaking. which is a shame because personnel wise im really excited about what the players are going to do

Maybe they mean in the sense that it is still a "fire-zone blitz" scheme? I kinda feel like the last 3 years or so, Lebeau left a lot of clubs in the bag so to speak. He became reliant on dominant play from Polamalu, Smith, and the ability of his OLBs to generate pressure w/out exotic shifts and match-ups. When that fell off, there did not seem to be any attempts to scheme out of it. Also, he became almost irrationally obsessed with that A gap cross blitz with the ILBs.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't see the difference between your freak out over the AB article and the statements made by Count in regards to the defense - no one will be able to explain it to you either.

And I teach for a living.

TeeTee
08-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Maybe they mean in the sense that it is still a "fire-zone blitz" scheme? I kinda feel like the last 3 years or so, Lebeau left a lot of clubs in the bag so to speak. He became reliant on dominant play from Polamalu, Smith, and the ability of his OLBs to generate pressure w/out exotic shifts and match-ups. When that fell off, there did not seem to be any attempts to scheme out of it. Also, he became almost irrationally obsessed with that A gap cross blitz with the ILBs.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't see the difference between your freak out over the AB article and the statements made by Count in regards to the defense - no one will be able to explain it to you either.

And I teach for a living.

I said, in so many words, "Less talk, focus on action." And he said the same basic thing.

I guess if you don't see the irony, maybe you are learning disabled as well.

I saw these guys in practice and the D is racing to the ball like a pack of wild dogs like I haven't seen in a long time. There is a striking difference between now and the last few years operating under a DC who should have been taking naps and golfing. You are going to see a difference with this group. I am calling my shots now. This D will be much more aggressive and play with more passion. That is my prediction.

Count Steeler
08-08-2015, 11:32 PM

Really? Please show me.

I ripped you on Antonio because you were comparing a 20 year career of Rice and you were limiting Brown to a maximum of 10 years.

In fact, I am more in your school about keeping your mouth shut and performing on the field. (Heath Miller should teach classes). I have stopped complaining about it because I understand what the players have to go through in this media driven sport. I can't imagine having microphones in my face all day long, looking for a quote or picking up a sentence out of context. I believe Big Ben has learned the art of misdirection and will usually bullshit a reporter just to get them off his back.

fansince'76
08-09-2015, 12:21 AM
I believe Big Ben has learned the art of misdirection and will usually bullshit a reporter just to get them off his back.

I think Roethlisberger is a master at trolling the media. I really do believe he says things to them just to see what kind of reaction he'll get.

86WARD
08-09-2015, 05:45 AM
I think Roethlisberger is a master at trolling the media. I really do believe he says things to them just to see what kind of reaction he'll get.

I agree with this. He has that sarcastic joking personality and seems to have a dry sense of humor at time that the media may or may not know how to take.

Mojouw
08-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Odd question, does anyone else get tired of the "Steeler Football" discussions? I guess it implies a physical defense and a run heavy offense. That can be good, I guess. But wouldn't you rather your team play "championship level football" or "super bowl winning football"?

I mean having a D that takes people's heads off is great to watch and all, but if it isn't winning games...

Count Steeler
08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Odd question, does anyone else get tired of the "Steeler Football" discussions? I guess it implies a physical defense and a run heavy offense. That can be good, I guess. But wouldn't you rather your team play "championship level football" or "super bowl winning football"?

I mean having a D that takes people's heads off is great to watch and all, but if it isn't winning games...

To me, Steelers Football is championship wins. I'm spoiled, if we don't win the SB every year, I'm upset. Not unreasonably so, but that is our goal every year.

Mojouw
08-09-2015, 12:50 PM
To me, Steelers Football is championship wins. I'm spoiled, if we don't win the SB every year, I'm upset. Not unreasonably so, but that is our goal every year.

I would agree. I guess I am trying to get at the idea that I don't give a crap what "style" of football the team plays - as long as they win. Heck, they could trot out a run and shoot offense and play prevent defense all game long and if it won a SB, I would be all for it.

Count Steeler
08-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I would agree. I guess I am trying to get at the idea that I don't give a crap what "style" of football the team plays - as long as they win. Heck, they could trot out a run and shoot offense and play prevent defense all game long and if it won a SB, I would be all for it.

Yup, whatever gets us #7 and 8 and 9 and... (except Pats* football)

fansince'76
08-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Odd question, does anyone else get tired of the "Steeler Football" discussions? I guess it implies a physical defense and a run heavy offense.

I thought it meant having a guy like this on the sideline...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/lbrownie/Bill-Cowher-1.png (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/lbrownie/media/Bill-Cowher-1.png.html)

:chuckle:

tube517
08-09-2015, 02:19 PM
I thought it meant having a guy like this on the sideline...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/lbrownie/Bill-Cowher-1.png (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/lbrownie/media/Bill-Cowher-1.png.html)

:chuckle:

Spitting wins championships

stillers4me
08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Did you see Ben laughing when Jerome said something like "3 yards and cloud of dust is better than a 40 yard bomb anytime!" :lol:

TeeTee
08-09-2015, 02:40 PM

I am tired of the term, "Steeler football" as well, as most who say it aren't usually that well-versed in the reality of where things stand. I am all for a stingy D, one that you can't rush against. I am fine with that. I am still into a physical rushing game AS LONG as it is paired with a potent pass game as well, and we obviously have that now. But do I wish they went back to Cowher ball, and lined up everyone tight most plays? Hell no. You can't win like that. If you let Ben have more shots, he does things like throws 6 TDs and over 500 yards, and you are going to win those games.

stillers4me
08-09-2015, 02:48 PM
To me "Steelers Football" means defense. The Steel Curtain. Blitzburgh. We need these young guys to coin their own version of "Steelers Football". They are young, fast, and claim to have some ball skills. Put all that together and let's see what the new generation of "Steelers Football" looks like on the defense.

Having Jerome Bettis to run down the clock, convert 3rd downs, and bust through the goal line ain't bad either, but since he's apparently no longer available, Ben, AB, and Bell can make some new "Steelers Football" moments and I'll be just fine with that.

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Spitting wins championships

didn't seem to work too well in home AFCC games though...:Cry:

86WARD
08-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Did you see Ben laughing when Jerome said something like "3 yards and cloud of dust is better than a 40 yard bomb anytime!" :lol:

I noticed that too...lol.