PDA

View Full Version : How Ben Roethlisberger Grew Up and Became One of the NFL's Great Teammates

polamalubeast
08-06-2015, 08:28 AM
On a sunny summer morning at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on Pittsburgh's South Side, we find wide receiver Markus Wheaton running a crossing route. He catches a dart from Ben Roethlisberger in an OTA practice. Despite the glowering defensive presence of James Harrison, Wheaton continues across the field.

The veteran linebacker, as solid and thick as an overpass support beam, has built a career out of making foolish receivers regret the day they first tried on a helmet. If this had been a game—or maybe even a training camp practice—the play would have concluded with Wheaton flat on his back, incapable of counting to three.

Afterward, Roethlisberger calls Wheaton over. Some quarterbacks might give their receiver a tip on how to avoid the linebacker or applaud him for bravery. Roethlisberger does something different. Quietly, he tells Wheaton to get down next time. He is not concerned about how many extra passing yards he might get if Wheaton stays on his feet. He is concerned about his receiver's well-being.

The small gesture escaped the notice of many—but not all. Veteran guard Ramon Foster overheard the exchange. He says it was one of the most impressive things he's ever heard a teammate say to another. Foster says it speaks to Roethlisberger's "devotion" to his teammates.

"It's not just him working on himself," Foster said. "He wants to help others be better."

The anecdote may surprise NFL fans who don't really know Roethlisberger and cling to a memory of him when he first came into the league.

"I'd be the first to admit I wasn't a good teammate early in my career," Roethlisberger said.

He's evolved into the opposite of a bad teammate—perhaps the league's best teammate.

When he came to Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger was given some well-meaning advice: "Don't get too close to your teammates. There is too much turnover in the NFL, and you'll be sorry when you lose your friends." And so he kept a distance.

He won the first 14 games he started as a rookie, then in his second season became the second-youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. But behind the Steelers curtain, he couldn't figure out how to blend in on a veteran team. To the old guys who lorded over the locker room, he belonged near the bottom of the hierarchy with the other young guys. The quarterback who was getting all the glory saw his place as near the top of the hierarchy. The attitude soon led to a clash with big-dog wide receiver Hines Ward.

"There are some guys who had animosity towards me, and probably rightfully so," Roethlisberger said. "I probably could have helped that by being a humble guy who was the best teammate I could be."

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2505720-how-ben-roethlisberger-grew-up-and-became-one-of-the-nfls-great-teammates

stillers4me
08-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Now THAT is a great article!

Craic
08-06-2015, 11:39 AM
It's about what we all figured. Ben was a jerk when he first came into the league. He had a run-in with a few veterans, and then Batch took him aside. Finally, he matured due to consequences of his actions and a four game suspension (whatever those actions may have been).

And now, he's grown into everything he saw when he first came into the league. Good on him. It's no wonder he's been able to take such a leadership role over the last few years. I especially like the fact he's taken Brown and Bell to task (albeit gently with Brown, it seems) and they seem to be listening to him.

hawaiiansteeler
08-06-2015, 05:22 PM
great read, thanks for posting! :drink:

tube517
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Wow. Clorox Report with a great read. Ben has definitely grown up.

I'm curious how Peazy and Ben get along now. It was Peazy who called Ben out in 2006.

Craic
08-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Wow. Clorox Report with a great read. Ben has definitely grown up.

I'm curious how Peazy and Ben get along now. It was Peazy who called Ben out in 2006.

He wasn't the only one. Potsie supposedly had a dressing down with him at one of the player's homes, as well. Ben was complaining about the fans and Potsie put him in his place. Then again, remember back when we were 23 years old, and then think of that, plus taking the nation by storm on what was, at the time, the best team in the NFL (15-1 season, kept out of the SB by spygate), I think a good 80+ percent of the people would have fallen into the same trap.

What really impressed me was that he climbed out of it without excuse.

tube517
08-06-2015, 10:30 PM
He wasn't the only one. Potsie supposedly had a dressing down with him at one of the player's homes, as well. Ben was complaining about the fans and Potsie put him in his place. Then again, remember back when we were 23 years old, and then think of that, plus taking the nation by storm on what was, at the time, the best team in the NFL (15-1 season, kept out of the SB by spygate), I think a good 80+ percent of the people would have fallen into the same trap.

What really impressed me was that he climbed out of it without excuse.
I'll pull the article but they said after peazy spoke they exited the locker room and not a word was said. Even Cowher was quiet. They said it was a great speech. Its all part of Steelers history now. But just makes you wish you were a fly on the wall.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

teegre
08-06-2015, 11:13 PM
The difference between the maturity level of a 22-year old and the maturity level of a 32-year old is astronomical.

zulater
08-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I think when Ben truly emerged as The team leader is when Hines was retired. For whatever reason those two never got along and as long as Hines was there there would be a divide among some of the team.

86WARD
08-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Not sure if it was because of Ward's presence or just timing and coincidence but I'm sure maturity played a big role. Roethlisberger has admitted in the past that he wasn't a good teammate early in his career...maturity is a wonderful thing.