View Full Version : Snapshot: CB Doran Grant

hawaiiansteeler
08-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Snapshot: Doran Grant

Aug 05, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

http://imgix.scout.com/156/1562876.jpg?w=600&fit=max

Hard-working rookie CB plying his trade quietly but making big plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

LATROBE -- With Brandon Boykin in camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the young cornerbacks drafted last April aren't standing on such hot spots at St. Vincent College.

It's OK that second-round Senquez Golson has to get his shoulder fixed, and it's OK that the coaching staff shows patience with fourth-round pick Doran Grant.

Not that Grant is being coddled.

At 5-10 1/4 with a 4.44 Combine 40, he's not the biggest or the fastest but he's been showing off his quick burst to the ball, his strength, the cover-2 skills that made him a two-year starter at Ohio State, and best of all the ability to turn interceptions into points.

This past Sunday Grant picked off Tyler Murphy at midfield and returned it down the sideline for a touchdown. Previously, in the second practice of camp, Grant picked off Landry Jones in the end zone and returned it to the other end zone, 100 yards, just like he once did in the Big 33 Game on a record-setting play.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1570457-snapshot-doran-grant

BigNastyDefense
08-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Being a Buckeye fan I watched a lot of Grant. The guy has INSTINCTS. He's got ball skills. He's going to stick and become a player on the Steelers, either on the outside or the inside.

TeeTee
08-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Being a Buckeye fan I watched a lot of Grant. The guy has INSTINCTS. He's got ball skills. He's going to stick and become a player on the Steelers, either on the outside or the inside.

Good to hear. His measurables were not great, but instincts and heart can be more important. Hope he sticks. We need him.

BigNastyDefense
08-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Well if measurables were everything then guys like Hines Ward would have never had a career.

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Um, i dont think people realize that his measurables are actually pretty good. he's 5'10'' and 200lb. Thats a pretty big corner.

Its only his arm length that isnt so great: 30 1/4 inches. 31in. is fairly average for a corner, 32in. is good, 33in. + is outstanding. No reason to bring hand measurements into this either since he's shown plenty of ability to be a ballhawk for the Buckeyes. There are plenty of great corners/up and comers with arms that are 31" or less:

Alterraun Verner (31"), Jason Verrett (30 5/8"), Carlos Rogers (31"), Stephon Gilmore (31"), Leon Hall (30 3/4"), Johnathan Joseph (31"), Vontae Davis (30"), Brandon Flowers (31"), Charles Tillman (31"), Tim Jennings (29 3/4"), Rashean Mathis (31")

I laugh everytime someone ambiguously and randomly throws shade at his "size". I remember reading scouting reports that actually inferred that his height and weight sucked.

On the other hand, this is what worries me about Senquez Golson so much. He is literally small EVERYWHERE. Just under 5'9'', 176lb, 29 3/4" arms, and his combine didnt inspire much confidence. Thats why I find it strange he is being compared to Brent Grimes, who has ridiculous 34" arms. Tim Jennings seems to be the best comparison by far in terms of size (5'8'', 185lb, 29 3/4" arms) and his scouting report (minus off field issues and run defense, where senquez still excels).

I suppose it says a lot about how good of a football player he is when some scouting reports say he has pro bowl potential.

86WARD
08-07-2015, 10:38 PM
I hate measureables...