PDA

View Full Version : Not much Praise from Tomlin

43Hitman
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Ed: Even Dwyer Could Not Attract Tomlin's Praise (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104638-ed-even-dwyer-could-not-attract-tomlins-praise)

Monday, 30 August 2010 08:46
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA0NjM 4LWVkLWV2ZW4tZHd5ZXItY291bGQtbm90LWF0dHJhY3QtdG9tb Glucy1wcmFpc2U%3D)

Good morning from Denver airport,
You haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen the sunrise at Denver’s airport (GD took a photo of it with his cell phone through terminal windows, which I am sure will be suitable for framing.) OK, maybe you have, but it’s 6:15 a.m. here and I am slogging on fumes:
--- Did anyone help themselves Sunday night? Mike Tomlin praised one player, Ben Roethlisberger. He excused Byron Leftwich because, well, John Elway could not have operated under those conditions with that second team.
--- Even Jonathan Dwyer, who had a 40-yard run to go with 18 and 17 and a touchdown run, and led the Steelers with 89 yards rushing could not capture Tomlin’s praise. Asked about Dwyer’s performance, Tomlin brushed it off as “down the line guys vs. down the line guys,’’ and said stats can be inflated under those circumstances.
--- No one asked Tomlin about Maurkice Pouncey, but his answer would have had to be “bravo!” Pouncey handled nose tackle Jamal Williams every time I watched and they stuck with Pouncey the entire way with the first team. As I’ve been saying since the beginning of August and training camp, he is your man at center.
--- I see no reason to keep Justin Hartwig now. Those who wonder who will be the backup in case something happens to Pouncey need look no farther than Doug Legursky, who was the backup center last year.
--- Antonio Brown did not hurt himself as a return man but neither did he help himself. He did nothing out of the ordinary, although he did catch another touchdown pass. And the way things were going for many of his young teammates Sunday night, doing nothing to hurt yourself could be considered a positive.
--- Keenan Lewis is starting to remind me of Anthony Smith and that is not a good thing. The best thing he did all night was smash that Roger Goodell sign entering the locker room. And while Mike Tomlin was right to single young Lewis out, James Harrison also had a stupid personal foul when he popped a guy late and he went unscathed on the sideline. Of course, Harrison had only ONE personal foul and his long distinguished play, unlike that of Lewis, has earned him a coach’s pass on that.
--- Anybody know the whereabouts of Ziggy Hood?
--- Under the circumstances, the best performance by a Steelers quarterback Sunday night was Charlie Batch. That interception return for a TD against him was caused by rookie receiver Emmanuel Sanders’ wrong route.
--- Antwaan Randle El has nailed down the No. 3 receiver spot and maybe Arnaz Battle will be No. 4 after Sanders’ weak play Sunday night. The stats say Steelers quarterbacks threw him eight passes and he caught two – and two of those he made no effort to go after the ball and they wound up as interceptions.
--- You have to love the I formation with Isaac Redman in front with a threat to get the handoff, as he did on a few occasions against Denver.
--- Dennis Dixon did nothing to convince the coaches of even thinking of making him their starting quarterback for the first month of the season.
--- Hard-to-believe stat this morning: Steelers outgained the Broncos by nearly 100 yards, 355 to 268.
--- For the first time in the preseason, the Steelers did not have more rushing attempts than passing – it was 30 apiece.
--- Yet another long punt return against the Steelers, a return that punter Daniel Sepulveda again helped keep from becoming a touchdown by getting in the return man’s way.
--- Any way you cut it, the Steelers’ offense falls off the table without Ben Roethlisberger.
--- This may be it until much later because I won’t have a web access until I get home later this afternoon via Milwaukee (fortunately, we won't see the sunrise there).

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104638-ed-even-dwyer-could-not-attract-tomlins-praise

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
The best thing he (Keenan Lewis) did all night was smash that Roger Goodell sign entering the locker room.

Oh, snap!

43Hitman
08-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I'll be honest, I smiled a little when I read it was a sign of Goodell.

Kaeg
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Hmm....Maybe Keenan's still got a spot after that late hit on Goodell. Hahaha I would keep one for him just for that.

HometownGal
08-31-2010, 09:20 PM
I see no reason to keep Justin Hartwig now. Those who wonder who will be the backup in case something happens to Pouncey need look no farther than Doug Legursky, who was the backup center last year.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :wave: Hartwig.

--- Keenan Lewis is starting to remind me of Anthony Smith and that is not a good thing. The best thing he did all night was smash that Roger Goodell sign entering the locker room.

Y'know - he's right. Lewis' temper tantrums in Denver are eerily remiscent of Anthony Smith. :horror:

--- Anybody know the whereabouts of Ziggy Hood?

I wondered that myself. :noidea:

--- You have to love the I formation with Isaac Redman in front with a threat to get the handoff, as he did on a few occasions against Denver.

Definitely love the "I"! :thumbsup: Hope we see a lot more of it in the regular season. :pray:

--- Dennis Dixon did nothing to convince the coaches of even thinking of making him their starting quarterback for the first month of the season.

Spot on! :applaudit: Dix's time will come but it isn't now.

--- Any way you cut it, the Steelers’ offense falls off the table without Ben Roethlisberger.

Can I hear an AMEN? :applaudit: If anyone doubted the importance of Big Ben to the Steelers, I'd be shocked if they still doubted his tremendous value after Sunday night's offensive debacle.

Devilsdancefloor
08-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Well i am gonna defend keenan i still like him and i believe he has a huge upside hopefully wallace can talk to him and get through to him since they have been friends for a long time.
I just hope for a pony backfield with redman & mendy.
I thought hartwig would be cut this year and he showed everyone he is not willing to be a back up with his performance on the field sunday night.
I really think trai essex & mchugh HAS to be on the bubble.

Steeldude
09-01-2010, 12:24 AM
a WR you don't hear much about, but is having a good camp(from what i have heard), is grisham. i like the way he plays and he has good hands. seems like a blue collar type of WR.

i guess it depends on how many WRs the steelers will keep. will the steelers keep two rookie WRs(sanders/brown)? we know ward, wallace and randle el are locks.

Craic
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
LOL.

Funny write up.

Also funny, is the fact that I feel relieved that we lost in preseason. Undefeated preseasons really scare me! ;)

Steeltreal
09-01-2010, 01:39 AM
-- Even Jonathan Dwyer, who had a 40-yard run to go with 18 and 17 and a touchdown run, and led the Steelers with 89 yards rushing could not capture Tomlin’s praise. Asked about Dwyer’s performance, Tomlin brushed it off as “down the line guys vs. down the line guys,’’ and said stats can be inflated under those circumstances.

Watched the TD run again. Im convinced if it were Mendenhall 100% chance he would have spun back inside.