PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Steelers still knockin' on Canton's door

polamalubeast
08-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Once “The Bus” makes his final stop, at the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, the Steelers officially can boast of 21 busts in Canton.
There is no shortage of candidates for No. 22.

The top five among retired players — Alan Faneca, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Donnie Shell and the late L.C. Greenwood — have compelling cases. Shell and Greenwood are the contenders left from the dynastic 1970s teams. Faneca becomes eligible next year, Ward in 2017, Polamalu in 2020.

The question here is not who's next — logjams at certain positions, internal politics, etc., make that impossible to predict — but rather who is most deserving?

Think of it this way: If you could vote for just one of the five, who would it be?

My choice is Polamalu.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/8833092-74/polamalu-ward-faneca#ixzz3hx1QClRB
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

TeeTee
08-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Every one of the 5 deserve it. Agree Troy is most deserving. Faneca may have to wait a while, as OG are not sexy choices. L.C. and Shell might get hosed because of the OD-ing of players from the Steelers' '70's teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Every one of the 5 deserve it. Agree Troy is most deserving. Faneca may have to wait a while, as OG are not sexy choices. L.C. and Shell might get hosed because of the OD-ing of players from the Steelers' '70's teams.

Texasteel
08-05-2015, 05:09 PM
That is a tougher question for us older guys, but I think I would go with Troy. However, I would love to see Shell, and LC make in the same year, and watch Charlie Waters head explode.

BigNastyDefense
08-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Polamalu gets my vote because he was so dynamic. He was the face of not just the defense, but the entire team.

L.C. & Shell have been "forgotten" and they both should be in. But with so many 70's Steelers in the HOF, they have an uphill battle.

Big Red is one of the best guards of his time. He will probably get in, but it'll be a while probably.

Hines Ward is borderline in most people's opinions. He's known more for his vicious hits than the fact that he's the all-time Steelers leading receiver. I think he should get in down the road.

86WARD
08-06-2015, 06:21 AM
In this order: LC, Troy, Shell, Faneca

fansince'76
08-06-2015, 08:03 AM
That is a tougher question for us older guys, but I think I would go with Troy. However, I would love to see Shell, and LC make in the same year, and watch Charlie Waters head explode.

Is Waters still whining about SB XIII?

fansince'76
08-06-2015, 08:05 AM
In this order: LC, Troy, Shell, Faneca

With a screen name like "86WARD" you leave Hines off your list?!? :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
08-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Like so many here, I'd go with Troy first. In my humble opinion, he epitomizes what a hall of fame should be. Classy individual, and was simply magical on the field. He really did transcend the typical role of a strong safety.

tube517
08-06-2015, 09:01 AM
All the Brokebacks are. As Noll said, you can still hear Landry crying. [emoji38]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Texasteel
08-06-2015, 01:59 PM

If whining involve crying like a 4 year old that just lost his favorite blanky............... Yes.

86WARD
08-06-2015, 04:44 PM
With a screen name like "86WARD" you leave Hines off your list?!? :chuckle:

Lol. I was just talking about the ones mentioned. Of course Hines goes in before all of them...but he's gonna have to wait...it's hard for the WRs to get in for some reason...I think Troy will get in before him...

steelreserve
08-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Troy for sure, and it ought to be unanimous.

Deserving or not, if Shell and Greenwood haven't gotten in yet, your chances usually only go down with every passing year, so I don't see much happening there.

Faneca probably could make it, but I don't think it'll be automatic. One thing working against him is that most offensive linemen you see in the HOF tend to be guys who played their whole career with one team, which really holds no logic, but for some reason I guess makes them more recognizable as a household name or something. Not a whole lot of linemen since large-scale free agency began. We'll see, I guess.

Hines Ward is a guy who definitely ought to be in, but will probably get hosed because he wasn't a huge numbers guy or a highlight-reel guy. It's hard to think of anyone who got the job done more consistently or did more good for his team, but that's not enough in the ADHD world of today's sports media.

Devilsdancefloor
08-06-2015, 07:42 PM
LC would be my choice if i had to choose just one

teegre
08-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Troy is a no-brainer.

Hines revolutionized the WR position. Before him, receivers rarely blocked. Kurt Cobain didn't sell as many records as other artists, but he changed music forever. SUMMATION: Fame is not measured by stats alone.

fansince'76
08-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Lol. I was just talking about the ones mentioned.

But Hines was mentioned...

The top five among retired players — Alan Faneca, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Donnie Shell and the late L.C. Greenwood — have compelling cases.

:chuckle:

Seriously, though, I think Hines gets in eventually. He may have to wait a decade or two like Swann and Stallworth, but he should get in there. He certainly made the most out of his pretty modest physical gifts.

Count Steeler
08-07-2015, 04:53 AM
Sentimental favorite, LC. Blows my mind that he is not in already, so on that basis, he would be my choice. But then in 40 years, I would be scratching my head on why the other guys aren't in. Troy should be a definite. Hines as well.

tube517
08-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Troy, Hines, Faneca will get in. Not necessarily quickly but eventually. LC and Shell deserve to get in but fat slobby dipshits like Peter King think there are too many Steelers from the 70s so we shouldn't let so many in because Bobby Kraftgate will get mad. NFL politics as usual

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

86WARD
08-07-2015, 05:21 AM
But Hines was mentioned...

:chuckle:

Seriously, though, I think Hines gets in eventually. He may have to wait a decade or two like Swann and Stallworth, but he should get in there. He certainly made the most out of his pretty modest physical gifts.

Lol. I totally missed that...so imma redo...

How I want it to go: Hines, LC, Troy, Shell, Faneca
How I think it should go: Troy, LC, Shell, Hines, Faneca
how I think it will go (if all were to get in) : Troy, Faneca, LC, Hines, Shell...but that's over a looooong period of time...

86WARD
08-07-2015, 05:22 AM
Sentimental favorite, LC. Blows my mind that he is not in already.

This.