PDA

View Full Version : How many QBs to carry?

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Almost every team carries 3 in camp, many actually carry 4.

I see no downside carrying 4 - you need live arms to allow all those passes day to day, and you might find a diamond in the rough, so why not carry 4?

Now the Pats? They only are carrying 2 QBs in camp, and there is a possibility Brady is gonna miss some games, so that leaves them with one active QB.

What am I missing? That seems insane to me. How on earth does this make any sense?

polamalubeast
08-04-2015, 01:59 PM
The pats have 3 QB and that includes Matt Flynn.....

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 02:08 PM
The pats have 3 QB and that includes Matt Flynn.....

Flynn has been out, I thought. I only saw Brady and Garoppolo throwing.

polamalubeast
08-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Flynn has been out, I thought. I only saw Brady and Garoppolo throwing.

I know, but it's very unlikely that Flynn is not available for their first preseason game, otherwise it's very risky

It would be very stupid if the pats are playing Garoppolo behind the 3rd o-line in a preseason game.

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I know, but it's very unlikely that Flynn is not available for their first preseason game, otherwise it's very risky

It would be very stupid if the pats are playing Garoppolo behind the 3rd o-line in a preseason game.

Beyond risky. I wouldn't feel comfortable making Brady and Garoppolo have to throw that much in camp. There is a limit to how many times a human arm can throw without getting weak.

steelreserve
08-04-2015, 04:14 PM
For us specifically? I'd say keep 4 QBs through training camp (maybe 5 since Gradkowski isn't participating), then down to 2 when the season starts. We never even bother dressing a third QB for the game, so what's the point of having him take up a roster spot? If it gets to the situation where a third QB has to play for any length of time, we're pretty well boned anyway.

Hopefully one of the WR/QB rookies we've got makes the end of the roster so we have some semblance of a safety net, in case the coaches are worried about only carrying two.

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 06:24 PM
For us specifically? I'd say keep 4 QBs through training camp (maybe 5 since Gradkowski isn't participating), then down to 2 when the season starts. We never even bother dressing a third QB for the game, so what's the point of having him take up a roster spot? If it gets to the situation where a third QB has to play for any length of time, we're pretty well boned anyway.

Hopefully one of the WR/QB rookies we've got makes the end of the roster so we have some semblance of a safety net, in case the coaches are worried about only carrying two.

I agree with all of that. No problem with only 2 on the 53-man roster. But why not have 4 live arms in camp?

86WARD
08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
4 for camp in the situation the Steelers are in. 3 if you are solid through. 2 for the regular season.

Mojouw
08-04-2015, 07:53 PM
I think 97 should about cover it.

tube517
08-04-2015, 08:06 PM
I think 97 should about cover it.

Ok, Jon Gruden. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-05-2015, 05:57 AM
Calling Mojouw Jon Gruden is an insult. Moj probably knows the same if not more about QBs when compared to Gruden. Gruden is a blow hard that gets credit for developing Brett Favre, yet he's done dick with the rest of the QBs he's ever had...

TD's & Beer
08-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Fuck the Pats - who cares what the Cheatriots do.

WE have Ben and a couple scrub arms, that's OK for now, his replacement isn't on the team

86WARD
08-05-2015, 07:37 AM
I hate even thinking about a replacement. Maybe cloning will be possible and legal by then...lol.

tube517
08-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Calling Mojouw Jon Gruden is an insult. Moj probably knows the same if not more about QBs when compared to Gruden. Gruden is a blow hard that gets credit for developing Brett Favre, yet he's done dick with the rest of the QBs he's ever had...

LOL...I was joking about the number of QBs not Moj's football knowledge. Mojouw knows his stuff and was also joking.

Chucky was known to carry about 90 QBs though. I think his last year he had every backup ever in NFL history for camp.

86WARD
08-05-2015, 09:57 AM
I was being more sarcastic than anything. I didn't think you were serious.

tube517
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
I was being more sarcastic than anything. I didn't think you were serious.

It's all good but I sense you don't care for Jon Gruden? :chuckle:

86WARD
08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
I actually like Gruden as an announcer....but he's not a QB guru like ESPN pimps him out to be. I'd actually take more out of Trent Dilfer breaking down film and sitting with rookie QBs than ESPN trying to push Grudens personality on us analyzing rookie QBs...cause frankly, I don't feel he's qualified...

TeeTee
08-05-2015, 03:48 PM
I actually like Gruden as an announcer....but he's not a QB guru like ESPN pimps him out to be. I'd actually take more out of Trent Dilfer breaking down film and sitting with rookie QBs than ESPN trying to push Grudens personality on us analyzing rookie QBs...cause frankly, I don't feel he's qualified...

He's been doing it (working with QBs) for a long time. I feel he's pretty qualified. My problem with him is he tried a little too hard to use terms that most don't understand when announcing games. "That's a slam wiggle, fire zone dog 3 go." That gets old. Also, I only watch bits and pieces of his QB tape sessions. They are just OK, but not as entertaining as ESPN thinks they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Gruden

Mojouw
08-06-2015, 01:24 PM
LOL...I was joking about the number of QBs not Moj's football knowledge. Mojouw knows his stuff and was also joking.

Chucky was known to carry about 90 QBs though. I think his last year he had every backup ever in NFL history for camp.

Well, my secret is finally out. I am Jon Gruden.

tube517
08-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Well, my secret is finally out. I am Jon Gruden.

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/02/chucky-124140.jpg :chuckle: