PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB Jarvis Jones puts on some weight

hawaiiansteeler
08-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Kaboly: Steelers LB Jarvis Jones puts on some weight

August 4, 2015 by Mark Kaboly

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2014/08/JArvis.jpg

You can call Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones a lot of things, but you can’t call him too small anymore.

Jones sheepishly told me on Monday that he us up about 15 pounds from last year to 258 putting him closer to the weight the Steelers typically like to have their outside linebackers.

Jones didn’t want to reveal his increased size because “people will make a big deal of it.”

Jones, the Steelers first-round pick in 2013, has always balked at the idea of needing to add weight citing that he never has been put on his back by a lineman before.

Jones spent a portion of his offseason in Arizona working out with teammates James Harrison, Vince Williams, Sean Spence and others.

to read rest of article:

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2015/08/04/kaboly-steelers-lb-jarvis-jones-puts-on-some-weight/#ixzz3hp3EilJi

Steeldude
08-04-2015, 04:23 AM
15lbs. of fat or muscle? I wonder how much the extra weight will slow him down? So far the reports in camp is he hasn't really shown anything to suggest he has improved his play. I am still hopeful, but it looks like this guy is going to be a bust.

salamander
08-04-2015, 06:45 AM
He has shown nothing so far...so he puts on weight. Maybe I'm missing something.

BigNastyDefense
08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
I love how it was "he's too small" and now that he's put on some weight (more than likely muscle, and from what I've heard it's in his upper legs which is where he would get his power from) people are complaining that he's going to now be too slow.

I agree he hasn't shown much yet. But most players don't "get it" until year three. If he can stay healthy, I think he can make an impact. I'm not expecting 15 sacks out of him, but if he can get 8+ with more pressures and knock downs, I'll take it.

Craic
08-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I still don't get why everyone's negative about him (outside of injury).

Last year, he played in two and a half games before he got hurt. In those games, he had 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 7 tackles, and seven assists (14 total). He came backa t the very end of the season and did very little, but he sat 11 weeks (and couldn't hit the weight room or do much upper body conditioning with a broken wrist). I say, before we label him a bust (again, outside of injuries), we give him the opportunity to actually play a season and prove himself. If he keeps getting injured, that's a different story, but I also don't consider that a bust. For me, a bust is someone who, when their on the field, just doesn't "have it." We've seen entirely too little of Jones to make that determination.

Rotorhead
08-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I agree with Craic. And putting on muscle weight doesn't necessarily slow one down. From HS to College Track I put on 20lbs my first year and was over 2s faster in the 400. I hope we get an injury free season out of him. Also, he worked out with JH, there are few better to work out with (same position and JH was very successful, so I think he knows what and how to work out effectively).

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I agree with Craic. And putting on muscle weight doesn't necessarily slow one down. From HS to College Track I put on 20lbs my first year and was over 2s faster in the 400. I hope we get an injury free season out of him. Also, he worked out with JH, there are few better to work out with (same position and JH was very successful, so I think he knows what and how to work out effectively).

You added 20 lbs while you were still growing. Did you begin lifting more in college compared to HS? 15 lbs is nothing if he did it from lifting. But it also not an automatic improvement either. We will just have to see.

Steelman
08-04-2015, 04:29 PM
As long he stays out of LaMarr Woodley territory, I don't care what weight he's plays at...as long he can stay healthy and productive on the field. Hopefully Jones can show us something in preseason since his camp reports have been rather dull.

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 07:22 PM
As long he stays out of LaMarr Woodley territory, I don't care what weight he's plays at...as long he can stay healthy and productive on the field. Hopefully Jones can show us something in preseason since his camp reports have been rather dull.

I wanted him bigger with more muscle mass, since it wasn't working out the previous version. But he still looks kind of smooth to me. NFL OLBs are usually ripped.

katmandu
08-05-2015, 11:26 PM
I love how it was "he's too small" and now that he's put on some weight (more than likely muscle, and from what I've heard it's in his upper legs which is where he would get his power from) people are complaining that he's going to now be too slow.Here's my take on Jarvis's wrist injury and lack of upper body/arm bulk....

The wrist is a weight bearing joint. A person's wrist is absolutely vital when lifting ANY sort of heavy weights. I know this first hand after spraining my own wrist a couple months ago. I actually did so lifting weights (Bench press machine). My wrist caught a bad angle and bent backwards.

It is now over (2) months since I sprained my wrist and I am just now being able to lift (bench press) heavy weights. In those (2) months with the injury, I lost significant strength. My wrist "sprain" was a huge set back.

Jarvis did NOT sprain his wrist (like I did). He DISLOCATED it to the point of needing surgery to repair his wrist.

I don't know what the recovery time period is but he said himself his wrist is still NOT 100%..... and I believe him! It's been what ... 9, 10 months since his surgery ?

Once his wrist does get "near" 100%, only then will he be able to fully lift heavy weights and gain the strength and bulk he (and we) are looking for.