PDA

View Full Version : Holmes allowed around JETS according to ESPN - what about Ben ?

CanadianSteel
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/post/_/id/1442/the-holmes-sanchez-skype-is-cool?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Following up on an earlier item, a league spokesman said there's no rule that prohibits a suspended player from communicating with a teammate during his suspension.

In his news conference, Rex Ryan mentioned that WR Santonio Holmes has "already talked about skyping with Mark (Sanchez) every day about going over the offensive plays." Starting Friday, Holmes will serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. The violation occurred when he played for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ryan didn't seem to know if skyping is legal.

"Well, I hope so," he said. "Let's hold off on that for now. Let's make a phone call real quick."

Actually, skyping is unnecessary. On a suspension of less than one year, the player is allowed to be at the team facility and participate in team activities other than practice, at the club's discretion, according to a league spokesman. The rule was changed several years ago.

It's widely assumed that suspended players can't be around their team. Not so. You learn something every day.

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Well......that's interesting.

fansince'76
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I thought the player had to be incommunicado for the duration of the suspension.

BuddhaBus
08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
News to me.

Kaeg
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, the odd thing for me then, is the fact that I know I've heard at least on a few occasions that Ben was not allowed to be around or communicate with the team. So this is a surprise for me as well.

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I thought he had to spend the next 6 weeks in an underground bunker with no one but his dogs to keep him company. :huh:

CanadianSteel
08-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Ya even the media has been all over the fact he has to remain away from the facility..... which is why I posted this..... Maybe its not even true or knowing Godell maybe this is a condition for Ben only and not anyone else who is suspended :huh:

Devilsdancefloor
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Well huh ... Who was suspended for the * that they had to change the rule?

siss
08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Well since Ben is a star player he got a more severe suspension. This whole suspension has been about a different set of rules for Ben then everyone else. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case that the rule about Ben not being allowed was just a Goodell rule for Ben.
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::r ant::rant:

fansince'76
08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
On a suspension of less than one year, the player is allowed to be at the team facility and participate in team activities other than practice, at the club's discretion....

Another important point of note - maybe the Rooneys won't allow him around the facility during his suspension due to the potential distraction? :noidea:

Burghfan58
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I thought the player had to be incommunicado for the duration of the suspension.

I'm not sure they could keep that from happening. If Ben decides to roll in after dark in a normal looking ride to go over some game films, how is Goodell going to know? Unless he hires private investigators for every suspension.

BuddhaBus
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Another important point of note - maybe the Rooneys won't allow him around the facility during his suspension due to the potential distraction? :noidea:

That could be the real reason, but how much of a distraction has Ben been lately? It seems to not be quite as bad as anticipated in my opinion. If it is just a special rule Goodell has thrown in, I think an appeal should be made. With all of the non-punishment of other players recently that have either violated rules or committed out-and-out provable crimes, I'm already feeling like Ben should appeal his suspension in spite even though, to some extent, I feel it has been good for Ben to have gotten this wake-up call. As silly as it sounds, it just seems like Goodell is taunting Ben and DARING him to say/do something about it!

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 02:46 AM
I thought he had to spend the next 6 weeks in an underground bunker with no one but his dogs to keep him company. :huh:

As long as they're not female dogs. :toofunny:

Chidi29
09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Follow up to this:

Ben is NOT under the same ruling as Holmes is.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/holmes_not_completely_banned_mClRCOe9tM2WCOGbsp8kE I

"The change only applies to players suspended for substance abuse. Players banned for steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs (such as the Jets' Calvin Pace last year) or for violating the league's conduct policy must remain away from their team's facility and not have official contact with the team."

X-Terminator
09-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Follow up to this:

Ben is NOT under the same ruling as Holmes is.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/holmes_not_completely_banned_mClRCOe9tM2WCOGbsp8kE I

"The change only applies to players suspended for substance abuse. Players banned for steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs (such as the Jets' Calvin Pace last year) or for violating the league's conduct policy must remain away from their team's facility and not have official contact with the team."

So in other words, it's yet another double standard from Der Kommissar. Shocking. :coffee:

stillers4me
09-03-2010, 05:36 AM
So in other words, it's yet another double standard from Der Kommissar. Shocking. :coffee:

Makes perfect sense. We've all learned that being accused of a crime is much more serious than actually committing one.

Chidi29
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM

This change in policy was made a few years ago. I really wouldn't consider it to be a double standard though I don't agree with the concept. A suspension is a suspension and all players should be treated equally under it.

CantStop85
09-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like this rule was changed while Tagliabue was still in office...can't find any record of it, though.

Chidi29
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure they could keep that from happening. If Ben decides to roll in after dark in a normal looking ride to go over some game films, how is Goodell going to know? Unless he hires private investigators for every suspension.

Pretty sure that isn't the best approach for Ben. Privacy does not exist for a person of his status.

vasteeler
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM
i bet if he were still a steelers he wouldnt

Chidi29
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
i bet if he were still a steelers he wouldnt

This has nothing to do with a Steelers bias. Those are mighty big accusations of corruption, and ones that shouldn't be made without hard evidence.

vasteeler
09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
This has nothing to do with a Steelers bias. Those are mighty big accusations of corruption, and ones that shouldn't be made without hard evidence.

sorry, i guess i forgot the sarcasm smiley

steel striker
09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
More special rules for Ben can't the Goodell be consistant with anything?

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM

The rule wasn't written just for Ben. All players caught having drunk, skanky sex in bar bathrooms in Georgia fall into this category.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/th_sarcasm2.gif?t=1283619791

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Not a special rule. This is following the policy.

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
We've all learned that being accused of a crime is much more serious than actually committing one.

I think the entire city of Pittsburgh needs to show up on Roger Goodell's doorstep and say this to him. Just to see what kind of rational response he could possibly come up with.

st33lersguy
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Guess the rule that a player can work out with their team doesn't apply to steeler players