PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' No. 3 QB Heats Up

hawaiiansteeler
08-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Steelers' No. 3 QB Heats Up

Jul 31, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Landry Jones put on a show for the downtown crowd watching 'Friday Night Lights.' Here's the Steelers' practice notebook:

LATROBE -- Landry Jones has had a rough go of it since the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted him in the fourth round in 2013, but, if Friday night was any indication, that may be changing.

Jones enjoyed what may have been his finest practice with the team as the primary quarterback. Subbing once again for Ben Roethlisberger, and of course Bruce Gradkowski, who's on the PUP list, Jones completed at least his last 10 passes during full team scrimmages. The counting didn't begin until the start of the second of three such scrimmages.

"Yeah, I felt pretty good," said Jones. It seems like there's just always those one or two plays a day. Today there really wasn't. We'll see on film tomorrow, but yeah I thought I had a pretty decent day."

Jones has been quarterbacking the first team much of this week, since he's likely to see most of the work in the Hall of Fame Game next Sunday.

While Thursday's practice was an improvement over Wednesday's workout, Friday's practice was even better. He was asked if the ball ever hit the ground Friday night.

"Yeah in those seven shots it did," he said of the two-point conversion drill that opens each practice. "That was probably one of a couple of plays."

Jones threw mainly short passes early, but once he found his rhythm the passes traveled further. His final two passes gained 15 yards (to Will Johnson) and 20 yards (to Markus Wheaton). Not only was he accurate with his short and intermediate throws, he zipped a couple of passes complete to the far sideline, and he's never looked so decisive.

"It's all coming together," Jones said. "I'm seeing the plays better and I'm feeling more comfortable inside the offense."

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1569059-steelers-no-3-qb-heats-up

salamander
08-01-2015, 07:23 AM
I still have zero confidence in Jones.

ALLD
08-01-2015, 07:24 AM
He needs to think faster, especially when there is a rush in his face.

stillers4me
08-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Quarterback controversy in the Steel City!!!!!

polamalubeast
08-01-2015, 07:51 AM
It is possible that Ben not play against the Vikings in the Hall of Fame game!

We will see a lot of Landry Jones in this game!

hawaiiansteeler
08-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Jones: 'Everybody wants to play'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Landry Jones is hoping to take advantage of additional snaps.

LATROBE, Pa. – Everyone has heard the old saying, ‘When opportunity knocks.’ It’s that moment when you better be ready to answer, because opportunities don’t come often.

Third-year quarterback Landry Jones is trying to take advantage of every opportunity given to him this training camp.

“He did some nice things with the extra snaps we gave him,” said Coach Mike Tomlin at the end of last week. “That’s all you’re looking for when you take the time to give a guy an extra snap or two. You’d like to see him take advantage of it with execution, and I thought he did that.”

With Bruce Gradkowski still on the physically unable to perform list with a shoulder injury, Jones has been getting more snaps in practice and making the most of them.

“It’s just an opportunity to get better,” said Jones. “I am getting more snaps than I ever have in camp, especially with Bruce not being there and Ben (Roethlisberger) gets his normal day off. I get to go in there with the 1’s and it’s good.

“The more reps you are going to get, the more comfortable you are going to feel. The more and more I play, the more comfortable I get.”

Jones is likely to see extensive work against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday night in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, and is hoping to show the coaches that the extra work in practice is paying off.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Jones-Everybody-wants-to-play/2cf90c74-61e9-4f76-8604-44b209077de1

TeeTee
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM
He needs to think faster, especially when there is a rush in his face.

There is nothing known to mankind to make one able to think faster. He is what he is. Although, reps and experience can help make up for one's slow brain. Now, his lack of accuracy....is there a fix for that?